Dualshock 4?

Boeing 747

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey everyone,

Been looking for a PC controller for a while and settled on a DS4, but having a hard time stomaching MSRP. 

I know Overstock had them for a few bucks off a few months ago but anyone know any ways to drop the price off a bit?   New would be preferable (used controllers are eh, even if they are just a few months old).

Even spend X to get $20 off type deals would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone,

Been looking for a PC controller for a while and settled on a DS4, but having a hard time stomaching MSRP.

I know Overstock had them for a few bucks off a few months ago but anyone know any ways to drop the price off a bit? New would be preferable (used controllers are eh, even if they are just a few months old).

Even spend X to get $20 off type deals would be great!
DS4 on PC seems a bit of a waste. I use a DS3 with USB to run via Motion-in-Joy. A PS3 controller can be worked to manipulate a different profile (I use a 360 Controller profile) on PC. Now, if you do want a PC controller, the 360 Wired Controller seems very reasonable.

DS4 on PC seems a bit of a waste. I use a DS3 with USB to run via Motion-in-Joy. A PS3 controller can be worked to manipulate a different profile (I use a 360 Controller profile) on PC. Now, if you do want a PC controller, the 360 Wired Controller seems very reasonable.
Few different reasons I preferred the DS4.

1. Wireless & Specifically BT - I need wireless because my PC is going to be a bit far from my seating position and I don't really want to have to have a USB extension cable across my room where my dog could trip on it, etc.

Bluetooth is a hell of a lot easier than the proprietary dongle of the 360 wireless. More portable as well, I can use it on my Mac laptop with no dongle or anything.

2. Built in battery vs AAs - By the time I buy a charge and play kit, wireless dongle, and 360 controller the DS4 turns out to be less and a better overall controller IMO. Again, sort of a connivence thing, rather not manage rechargeable AA batteries.

3. Trackpad - There's an open source driver (forgot the name of it) for the DS4 that allows use of the trackpad. This will be great for TV gaming.

4. Future PS4 - I'll surely picking up a PS4 within the next year so I'd rather just stick to that eco-system and be able to use it as a second controller for my PS4.

5. General comfort - Not a huge fan of the 360 controller and loved the DS4 from the little I got to use of it. Slightly worried about the thumbsticks reliability though..

Few different reasons I preferred the DS4.

1. Wireless & Specifically BT - I need wireless because my PC is going to be a bit far from my seating position and I don't really want to have to have a USB extension cable across my room where my dog could trip on it, etc.

Bluetooth is a hell of a lot easier than the proprietary dongle of the 360 wireless. More portable as well, I can use it on my Mac laptop with no dongle or anything.

2. Built in battery vs AAs - By the time I buy a charge and play kit, wireless dongle, and 360 controller the DS4 turns out to be less and a better overall controller IMO. Again, sort of a connivence thing, rather not manage rechargeable AA batteries.

3. Trackpad - There's an open source driver (forgot the name of it) for the DS4 that allows use of the trackpad. This will be great for TV gaming.

4. Future PS4 - I'll surely picking up a PS4 within the next year so I'd rather just stick to that eco-system and be able to use it as a second controller for my PS4.

5. General comfort - Not a huge fan of the 360 controller and loved the DS4 from the little I got to use of it. Slightly worried about the thumbsticks reliability though..
I feel you. DS4 will likely have better PC support cause of the PS4's architecture over the DS3. You could always try eBay. Odds are some people get extra controllers, unopened and unused, and need cash rather than hold onto them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and pay close to MSRP. I know Amazon Warehouse will occasionally have one up for ~$35..

By the way - this is the driver I was referring to -

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper
Since it's a driver that has only been out for a little bit, I expect there will be bugs you'll have to cope with. But the good news is it ought to be easier to code DS4/XB1 controllers for PC use over PS3, this should not be a hindrance. If X-Input doesn't do much, look into Motion-in-Joy and see if and when they got DS4 drivers due.

Since it's a driver that has only been out for a little bit, I expect there will be bugs you'll have to cope with. But the good news is it ought to be easier to code DS4/XB1 controllers for PC use over PS3, this should not be a hindrance. If X-Input doesn't do much, look into Motion-in-Joy and see if and when they got DS4 drivers due.
You may want to be careful - I'm not sure how true it is but I've heard that Motion In Joy is possible Chinese adware/spyware.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510044

You may want to be careful - I'm not sure how true it is but I've heard that Motion In Joy is possible Chinese adware/spyware.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510044
I have heard this. As someone who services PCs for a (current) living, I run MSE, Malwarebytes, Glary, CCleaner, SAS, Avira, Kaspersky, and Bitdefender scans on every one of my PCs monthly. But on the plus side, it does work real well translating a DS3 as a 360 controller for titles that can use it.

May want to see if a local game store or pawn shop has them as my favorite indy game/Magic store sells them for $40. Lots of people have been stealing them at Walmart so now they're locked up and require an associate to get.

bread's done
Back