Dude gets "Hammered" in a Philadelphia Subway - See the link for the brutal footage

I read the article and it mentions that the attack was unprovoked. Well, even if it were 'provoked' it's still wrong and unbelievably disturbing. As some might say, "that's some fuck-ed up shit, yo."

[quote name='Purple Flames']And, once again, no one lifts a finger to help him :???:[/quote]

its easy to think and say that...but just think about it...you are sitting there minding your own buisiness...you look up and see a crazy dude with a hammer going nuts on someone....it would take anyone at least 5-10 seconds to realize holy shit this is actually going on...and then another 5-10 seconds to think i should do something/how would i do it/what angle would i take? then by that time the whole thing is over.

not trying to shoot you down but i just think that when extraordinary things happen, it takes time for people to react.

[quote name='nativetongue88']its easy to think and say that...but just think about it...you are sitting there minding your own buisiness...you look up and see a crazy dude with a hammer going nuts on someone... and you act.[/quote]
Fixed.

:lol: Sorry but I disagree with you. If anyone was going to step in, it would have been on instinct. The only time you need is time enough to realize that a human being is in trouble and you just react. Maybe the time taken to overthink the situation is a defense mechanism. Your brain takes enough "time" to come up with a "plan of action" and by the time you are through, the incident is conveniently over.

I guess some people are Doers and some... aren't.

They had this on the local news last night. Philly is getting increasingly violent. In a city where they just cannot stop shooting cops, I don't think people are very willing to volunteer themselves.

^ Exactly. This city is going straight to hell.. I don't understand why nothing can be done.
It used to be so nice too..sigh...

[quote name='Purple Flames']And, once again, no one lifts a finger to help him :???:[/QUOTE]

Yea thats the human race for you. I would like to think I would try to help if I were in that situation but who knows, maybe the victim gave me a dirty look earlier so I wouldnt bother, Id like to think I was better then that but you never know.

And all thats wrong with Philadelphia at least we get a damn funny tv show from it all. Speaking of which, new Always Sunny... starts next week:D

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Good thing I use Septa :bouncy:

Yeah I heard about this. I live outside of Philly but these things worry me.[/QUOTE]

#-o
The Subway IS from SEPTA.

[quote name='emg28']Fixed.

:lol: Sorry but I disagree with you. If anyone was going to step in, it would have been on instinct. The only time you need is time enough to realize that a human being is in trouble and you just react. Maybe the time taken to overthink the situation is a defense mechanism. Your brain takes enough "time" to come up with a "plan of action" and by the time you are through, the incident is conveniently over.

I guess some people are Doers and some... aren't.[/quote]
See, I would help him in this situation. This is different from when the guy on a canadian bus got stabbed. This is a weapon that isn't an immediate death sentence if turned on you. You'd have to have a strong swing to seriously hurt someone, so you can get behind them and if they turn on you just make sure to make their arms not get any good motion going.

It's only after would I wonder what the hell was he doing hitting random people with hammers.

[quote name='lilboo']^ Exactly. This city is going straight to hell.. I don't understand why nothing can be done.
It used to be so nice too..sigh...[/QUOTE]

I thought there were still nice parts in philly like Citizens Bank Ball Park and the financial district. where the convention center is. but every where around it, scary.

Its like Temple U. inside Temple, its nice....the area is nice...but outside Temple....Its Newark NJ lol.

[quote name='lilboo']#-o
The Subway IS from SEPTA.[/quote]
Oops my bad..I meant the Buses specifically. :booty:

Anyway, I'm glad he got caught. Philly is a mess.

[quote name='nativetongue88']its easy to think and say that...but just think about it...you are sitting there minding your own buisiness...you look up and see a crazy dude with a hammer going nuts on someone....it would take anyone at least 5-10 seconds to realize holy shit this is actually going on...and then another 5-10 seconds to think i should do something/how would i do it/what angle would i take? then by that time the whole thing is over.

not trying to shoot you down but i just think that when extraordinary things happen, it takes time for people to react.[/quote]

I know for a fact that I would do something cuz I've been in situations like that. This topic always comes up. When the Virginia Tech shooting happened, we had a fairly long thread about it. I've never had a gun pulled on me but I've seen other people in serious trouble before, both people I knew and strangers. I've always intervened. Isn't that the golden rule all the Christians preach about?

You know.. just watching this video made my heart race and got me pissed off that I wasn't there to do anything about it. I would have suplexed that dude right into those seats behind everyone.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Isn't that the golden rule all the Christians preach about?[/QUOTE]

No, that's about telling other people they are wrong and they are going to hell and rubbing your morals in other peoples' faces :lol:...but that's a WHOLE other thread

[quote name='lilboo']No, that's about telling other people they are wrong and they are going to hell and rubbing your morals in other peoples' faces :lol:...but that's a WHOLE other thread[/quote]

Oh ok.. I always get confused about religions.. thanks for clearing it up.

By reading "Hammered",I thought it was a guy get hella high in the subway but then I saw brutal footage and then thought of hammers.That's pretty messed up.

I think it would be hard for someone to help solo, no matter how brave they insist they are. But if one could get at least 1 or 2 other guys to give that "Let's Roll" wink, it would be easy to stop anybody. It's just a typical fight scenario, the guy who has buddies back him up wins, unless they are going after Bruce Lee or someone on a chainsaw rampage.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I think it would be hard for someone to help solo, no matter how brave they insist they are. But if one could get at least 1 or 2 other guys to give that "Let's Roll" wink, it would be easy to stop anybody. It's just a typical fight scenario, the guy who has buddies back him up wins, unless they are going after Bruce Lee or someone on a chainsaw rampage.[/quote]

Just watching it made me imagine all the great scenarios... obviously I would sneak him from the back if the chance was available.. but even if it wasn't, that dude wouldn't know what the fuck hit him. You think he anticipated anyone to intervene? I doubt it... Like I said, I would have tried to suplex him if I was there... Sure, suplexes don't have a very good hit-ratio and are usually impractical. But... if that dude had his back to me... I think I could pull it off.. and it would look oh so cool. If I fucked it up, I would just rear naked choke him no problem.

thought this said guy gets hammered by a subway. I was expecting to see a guy jump out in front of a subway and get ran over

[quote name='PhrostByte']I know for a fact that I would do something cuz I've been in situations like that. This topic always comes up. When the Virginia Tech shooting happened, we had a fairly long thread about it. I've never had a gun pulled on me but I've seen other people in serious trouble before, both people I knew and strangers. I've always intervened. Isn't that the golden rule all the Christians preach about?

You know.. just watching this video made my heart race and got me pissed off that I wasn't there to do anything about it. I would have suplexed that dude right into those seats behind everyone.[/quote]

Absolutely. We had this same discussion right after the Canadian bus beheading. I know for a fact that I would intervene, because I have before. Any decent man should do the same. Don't preach to me about unity and how the world should join together when men won't even step in to protect a helpless person getting beat with a hammer.

Imagine you're minding your own business, and then you get your skull rocked by a ball hammer over and over again. And then someone tackles the guy who is attacking you and beats the living shit out of him. How would you feel? Now tell me you don't want to be that person who defends the defenseless. Every man does; it's encoded in our DNA.

Edit: Man, the guy getting beaten is lucky that wasn't a claw hammer.

I live in South Jersey about 10 mins away from Philly. I only go over for concerts, good thing I don't do it everyday. Shit like this is scary.

[quote name='snakelda']By reading "Hammered",I thought it was a guy get hella high in the subway but then I saw brutal footage and then thought of hammers.That's pretty messed up.[/quote]

Why does this not surprise me from "Nelly Furtado Fan!"

On topic - maybe you get involved and then the guy getting beaten turns on you. How do you know what the beef between these two guys is - unfortunately I think the days are gone when you can naively walk into a situation and attempt to save the day Superman style.

I like how the mayor turns the issue on the citizens - because the state did such a great job keeping a guy with multiple rape and other convictions both on the streets and with custody of a child. Yes o great mayor, please lecture us because the law enforcement and court system of your great city are certainly not to blame in this case!

I took the subway once to Veterans Stadium in 1993, I really didn't like it especially since it was so desolate. This doesn't make me want to take the subway again

[quote name='camoor']Why does this not surprise me from "Nelly Furtado Fan!"

On topic - maybe you get involved and then the guy getting beaten turns on you. How do you know what the beef between these two guys is - unfortunately I think the days are gone when you can naively walk into a situation and attempt to save the day Superman style.

I like how the mayor turns the issue on the citizens - because the state did such a great job keeping a guy with multiple rape and other convictions both on the streets and with custody of a child. Yes o great mayor, please lecture us because the law enforcement and court system of your great city are certainly not to blame in this case![/quote]

You're a pussy. First of all, it's just a hammer.. He has to swing it to be able to make contact. To swing takes like what, a whole second? To deflect a swing takes like what.. half a second? Second of all... there's another dude there. You get the dude's back, and the attacker turns on you, you don't think dude will get your back? Come on man grow some balls.

[quote name='PhrostByte']You're a pussy. First of all, it's just a hammer.. He has to swing it to be able to make contact. To swing takes like what, a whole second? To deflect a swing takes like what.. half a second? Second of all... there's another dude there. You get the dude's back, and the attacker turns on you, you don't think dude will get your back? Come on man grow some balls.[/quote]

Agreed.

I understand that there is a possibility that the attackee might turn on you as well, or that there is a legitimate beef between the two. But hell, you see a man in the fetal position getting smashed with a hammer; does it really matter anymore what the beef is? And sure, there's a chance you might get hurt as well, but that's beside the point. The right thing to do is the right thing to do, regardless of the possible consequences.

I think every man has to make this conscious decision in his mind: when faced with a threat, what will my reaction be? For me, the decision was that I will use up to and including deadly force whenever I feel physically threatened. For example: I decided long ago that if I ever wake up to someone breaking into my home, I'm shooting to kill. Double tap to the head. I'm not going to factor in the chance that he might be mentally handicapped and in my house on accident, or that I might end up being prosecuted for killing a man. Bottomline: my wife, daughter, and I are in very real danger, and it's my job to protect us. And I will, every time. Same goes for seeing some poor sap getting beaten senseless on a train or anywhere else. I'm stepping in.

[quote name='PhrostByte']You're a pussy. First of all, it's just a hammer.. He has to swing it to be able to make contact. To swing takes like what, a whole second? To deflect a swing takes like what.. half a second? Second of all... there's another dude there. You get the dude's back, and the attacker turns on you, you don't think dude will get your back? Come on man grow some balls.[/quote]

Good point. I forgot that I can deflect hammer swings with my bulletproof skin and Jet Li reflexes.

[quote name='camoor']Good point. I forgot that I can deflect hammer swings with my bulletproof skin and Jet Li reflexes.[/quote]

Dude, it ain't about that at all. Technical aspects of combat aside, it's just a fuckin hammer man. You get hit once, big deal. You're just gonna let someone die like that? That might be ok with you but not with me. Go ahead and be a bystander, I know that if I'm ever attacked on a train like that, you won't be there to help.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Just watching it made me imagine all the great scenarios... obviously I would sneak him from the back if the chance was available.. but even if it wasn't, that dude wouldn't know what the fuck hit him. You think he anticipated anyone to intervene? I doubt it... Like I said, I would have tried to suplex him if I was there... Sure, suplexes don't have a very good hit-ratio and are usually impractical. But... if that dude had his back to me... I think I could pull it off.. and it would look oh so cool. If I fucked it up, I would just rear naked choke him no problem.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't you Dragon Punch him? Or hit him with a fireball? Come on Internet Action Hero®, show a little gumption!

I can see it now -- he's wailing on some kid when all of a sudden, from behind we hear "SONIC BOOM!!" and Hammerman turns around, right into a blistering wave of pain! Then we can all watch his health bar deplete as he collapses to the ground.

Oh PhrostByte, "YOU WIN! PERFECT!"

i dunno the way my mind works id have to think theres some connection there not to say it couldnt be unprovoked since theres plenty of nutters floating about but damn. and was that his kid on the train with him? thats why they always say dont get caught sleepin.......or is it slippin? whatever the case in this day and age you need eyes all over.

[quote name='Fanboy']Why wouldn't you Dragon Punch him? Or hit him with a fireball? Come on Internet Action Hero®, show a little gumption!

I can see it now -- he's wailing on some kid when all of a sudden, from behind we hear "SONIC BOOM!!" and Hammerman turns around, right into a blistering wave of pain! Then we can all watch his health bar deplete as he collapses to the ground.

Oh PhrostByte, "YOU WIN! PERFECT!"[/quote]

Yeah cuz I'm a Street Fighter, not a jiujitsu guy... ok...

[quote name='Fanboy']Why wouldn't you Dragon Punch him? Or hit him with a fireball? Come on Internet Action Hero®, show a little gumption!

Oh PhrostByte, "YOU WIN! PERFECT!"[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Phrostbyte analyzing his suplex success rate percentage is the highlight of this thread, followed closely by talking about "how cool it would look."

[quote name='nativetongue88']its easy to think and say that...but just think about it...you are sitting there minding your own buisiness...you look up and see a crazy dude with a hammer going nuts on someone....it would take anyone at least 5-10 seconds to realize holy shit this is actually going on...and then another 5-10 seconds to think i should do something/how would i do it/what angle would i take? then by that time the whole thing is over.

not trying to shoot you down but i just think that when extraordinary things happen, it takes time for people to react.[/quote]

Honestly, I know how you can say that anyone can easily say something without actually doing it, or not have enough response time to be able to do it, but there are some of us who would just immediately spring off the chair and run up to the guy and kick him down. I mean i'd be afraid of getting hit once, but if you're the victim and you're running away (inside of a subway...) you're going to get hit a couple of times rather than if you brace and let yourself get hit once just to get a hold of the weapon.

I would have done something. Everyone else on that subway should have.

[quote name='KaneRobot']:rofl:

Phrostbyte analyzing his suplex success rate percentage is the highlight of this thread, followed closely by talking about "how cool it would look."[/quote]

For now on.. I'm constantly gonna carry around a video camera with me.. so in case it ever comes up, I can put the video on CAG. :]

I mean.. from the video you can tell the guy ain't watching his back, at any moment I could have came up and gave him a swift Ushiro Goshi or German suplex right into those seats. If I hit the seat at the right angle his neck would snap and his head would just pop off and land in some old lady's lap. Then, I could just cross my arms and be like FATALITY.... oh it would be sweet.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I mean.. from the video you can tell the guy ain't watching his back, at any moment I could have came up and gave him a swift Ushiro Goshi or German suplex right into those seats. [/QUOTE]
I think Karl Gotch would return from the grave for you to bask in his pride... until he slapped on a jujigitame.

[quote name='Fanboy']I think Karl Gotch would return from the grave for you to bask in his pride... until he slapped on a jujigitame.[/quote]

Now that he's dead I bet I can take him. :whee:

real life on the subway...noone helped cause everyone was scared.

on a gaming forum...everyone thinks they would all be the heroes...maybe a select few of you would do something...but not everyone

[quote name='nativetongue88']real life on the subway...noone helped cause everyone was scared.

on a gaming forum...everyone thinks they would all be the heroes...maybe a select few of you would do something...but not everyone[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I'd have likely done nothing as well. Both out of shock and common sense. First rule of life saving is to never put yourself at risk.

What pisses me off isn't the fact that people stood around and watched like it was some form of entertainment or something. Not being in the situation, I can't say whether I would've helped or not. I'd like to think I would've done something, but until I'm in the situation, I can't truthfully say. But anyways, what pisses me off is that not a SINGLE person busted out a cell phone to call 911, or paged the train operator, or even just yelled out for someone else to get help. Nope. Just stood there and enjoyed the show. And then when it was all said and done, they treated the victim like he was the dangerous one (when he goes to get back on the train, everyone scatters away from him like he's got the plague or something). Not even the slightest bit of decency from a single observer... way to go. :bomb:

[quote name='dmaul1114']Exactly. I'd have likely done nothing as well. Both out of shock and common sense. First rule of life saving is to never put yourself at risk.[/quote]

LOL This isn't lifeguard duty we are talking about.

[quote name='Ender']LOL This isn't lifeguard duty we are talking about.[/QUOTE]

It applies to any type of life saving. That's what you're trained in boy scouts etc. etc.

Hey, if people want to risk themselves to save strangers, they can be my guest.

I just hate all the holier than thou nerds sitting behind their computer saying they'd be all Chuck Norris and step into intervene with some nut job beating someone with hammer, or stabbing someone on a bus etc. etc. and bashing people for doing nothing. The vast majority of these people would do nothing if they were there as well.

bread's done
Back