Duke Nukem Forever Demo is NOW UP on all platforms!

Paco

CAGiversary!
If you registered for first access, you should have an e-mail about now. Demo is now up and live! I'm at 73% download and I'm just waiting. Fourteen years and it's finally real. A piece of true gaming history.

This is not a good game. The graphics and everything remind me of Prey. Dated graphics and gameplay. Rental at best. At least I finally got the chance to play this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just downloaded it. Ill play it for sure tomorrow. Hope its better than some here claim it is, its not like anyone had to rush or anything.

Lol, im surprised with all of the hate so far. Then again, after seeing the commercials for the first time, i was pretty de-hyped, it just looked.......meh

As I said in another thread, loved the demo, was basically what I expected out of a game like this. I'm definitely keeping my preorder and look forward to when the real game comes out so I can try out the multiplayer.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I will need to download it. I am buying it if it's good or bad because fuck, it's Duke Nukem.[/QUOTE]

As awful as it sounds, that's my basic stance. This game would have to be almost Daikatana-level bad for me to consider not getting it, which I don't think is the case.

Can't wait to get home and try out the demo.

Thinking about it last night, I realized that June is a really fucked up month for me and games... the only two games I'm excited about and buying are one that should've come out 13 years, and one that *did* come out 13 years ago.

I'll download it later tonight. I'm tempted by this game, but I rarely ever buy a game on release, so there will have to be some good deals for me to move on it. I'll probably just end up waiting until it hits $20-$30 around the holidays...

I didn't have high hopes for this, but seriously? That was probably the least amount of fun I've had playing games in a long time.

Graphics looked like they were from 2005 and gameplay was straight out of 2000.

I'll pass.

[quote name='SEH']Horrendous. Could be the worst thing I've ever played, seriously.[/QUOTE]
"Blow it out your ass!"

It would be the biggest troll if they released the demo, but canceled the game saying that all they had actually made after all this time was the demo content.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']It would be the biggest troll if they released the demo, but canceled the game saying that all they had actually made after all this time was the demo content.[/QUOTE]
That would be the greatest thing ever in my opinion. Granted I want to play DNF, but hell that would be some of the best trolling ever.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']That would be the greatest thing ever in my opinion. Granted I want to play DNF, but hell that would be some of the best trolling ever.[/QUOTE]

Well technically you'd still be able to play DNF... well, some of it. The demo.

So did I have to sign up for something special to get access to the demo? Because I wanna try it but I don't see it in the store anywhere.

[quote name='GTmaster39']So did I have to sign up for something special to get access to the demo? Because I wanna try it but I don't see it in the store anywhere.[/QUOTE]

You had to either pre order at gamestop or buy borderlands GOTY edition. They had a first access code on it.

[quote name='Paco']You had to either pre order at gamestop or buy borderlands GOTY edition. They had a first access code on it.[/QUOTE]

Damn, oh well. :)

Wow...pretty sad to all those dissing the gfx (graphics whore much???) that Duke is about Gameplay, humor and attitude.

If you go in expecting new UT engine gfx, then you'll be frickin' disappointed, I mean what the fuck....I'm with Paco and the others who've not given up hope it will give us what we've been wanting for over a decade, more Duke and we don't need anything else to make us happy. :cool:

It's a weird title, but I enjoyed the demo. I think it will definitely be a unique game and I'm looking forward to playing it. However, I suspect it will upset those that started playing shooters with Halo and Call of Duty.

[quote name='KillerRamen']It's a weird title, but I enjoyed the demo. I think it will definitely be a unique game and I'm looking forward to playing it. However, I suspect it will upset those that started playing shooters with Halo and Call of Duty.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they'd be confused when confronted with a real FPS.

I haven't tried the demo but always been a Duke fan, I actually have Duke 3D installed on my PC right now.

I watched some gameplay vids, I Think it was the weapon video, really disappointing in the graphics, regardless of what sort of game Duke is and that it's a DUKE game, in my opinion the video quality is unacceptable in this day and age.

I'm going to get a hold of it at some point I know, but I'm a little disappointed if they didn't feel the need to at least be on par in the graphics department with other games out now, what makes you think the gameplay will be better?

I mean the game has been announced for 10+ years and then this is what they come up with graphics wise? If people WEREN'T disappointed I'd be surprised.

But as always I'll see when it's actually released.

geez. i thought you guys were just being extra harsh, but I played the demo a few minutes ago and it was awful.

The game felt incredibly dated and the character animations and first person animations felt stiff. It's hard to know where they draw a line between nostalgia and just being bad. My biggest complaint was that the weapons didn't have any sort of weight to them.

One other thing that bugged me was the old school waves of enemies. I could go up a hill, or a ladder and look down a path and there wouldn't be any bad guys, then when I walk over there I get bum rushed. I know that's a classic thing that resulted from the program limitations, but it doesn't need to happen that way now.

The graphics were fine, I found the rest of it game to be meh. The controls were ok and the "mash space to do this action" I mean really? Oh and the 2 weapon limit, please.

I can't wait for the demo to be available for everyone else... next week, right?

And I've heard all the complaints and it hasn't swayed me any. If this is anything like the PC classics, I'm game. I just wish they didn't implement a 2 weapon limit.:whistle2:/

I was so hyped for this game, but the demo killed it; it's that bad.

I'm by no means a graphics whore, but these are really fucking bad. Aside from Duke's model, everything looks pretty shitty. The textures are atrocious; just look at when you
shoot down the chopper; the remaining chunk you use as a ramp doesn't look anything like helicopter wreckage. It looks like a grey blob of shit.

The whole thing feels pretty clunky; I wouldn't be that upset if it was from some unknown developer and a new IP, but this is fucking Gearbox and Duke Nukem!

I want to like it, but I'm seriously doubting it now; I don't even think Duke can save this one.

[quote name='lolwut?']I was so hyped for this game, but the demo killed it; it's that bad.

I'm by no means a graphics whore, but these are really fucking bad. Aside from Duke's model, everything looks pretty shitty. The textures are atrocious; just look at when you
shoot down the chopper; the remaining chunk you use as a ramp doesn't look anything like helicopter wreckage. It looks like a grey blob of shit.

The whole thing feels pretty clunky; I wouldn't be that upset if it was from some unknown developer and a new IP, but this is fucking Gearbox and Duke Nukem!

I want to like it, but I'm seriously doubting it now; I don't even think Duke can save this one.[/QUOTE]While playing it, i was really hoping that gearbox literally just took all the pieces of the game and stitched it together in a single package.

[quote name='lolwut?']I was so hyped for this game, but the demo killed it; it's that bad.

I want to like it, but I'm seriously doubting it now; I don't even think Duke can save this one.[/QUOTE]

I still enjoyed the demo but your complaints are quite valid re: the graphics. I'm thinking the demo might have been ready to go awhile ago and isn't representative of how things might look, like those hideous textures on the wreckage.

What bothered me more was the incredibly grainy, lo-res FMV at the end to further advertise the game. WTF? That's why I think the demo was slapped together and the actual game might look better. I hope anyway.

[quote name='nbballard']While playing it, i was really hoping that gearbox literally just took all the pieces of the game and stitched it together in a single package.[/QUOTE]

Well it looks like you got your wish, cause this shit looks (and plays) like it's 4 years old. I cant imagine they tweaked much, cause Borderlands is way smoother than this game

[quote name='johnnypark']I still enjoyed the demo but your complaints are quite valid re: the graphics. I'm thinking the demo might have been ready to go awhile ago and isn't representative of how things might look, like those hideous textures on the wreckage.

What bothered me more was the incredibly grainy, lo-res FMV at the end to further advertise the game. WTF? That's why I think the demo was slapped together and the actual game might look better. I hope anyway.[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right; I wanted to like it, but it was just so damn clunky and ugly. And like other people were saying, I'm not so sure I"m digging the 2 gun limit. At LEAST let us keep the pistol at all times, and 2 heavy weapons on top of that or something. Like I said, I'm not giving up hope quite yet, but it isn't looking too positive.

Played the demo and loved it. It was everything I expected, and I had no problems with it. In fact it was a change of pace from not having to hide being a fucking wall for cover every 3 seconds like some other shooters. :roll:

[quote name='lolwut?']Well it looks like you got your wish, cause this shit looks (and plays) like it's 4 years old. I cant imagine they tweaked much, cause Borderlands is way smoother than this game
[/QUOTE]
It wasn't a "wish" as much as it was me hoping that Gearbox didn't actually do any of the work on the game. I have a lot of respect for that team after some of the Half-Life work and Borderlands. I didn't see a lot of them reflected in this product.

The demo was pretty much what I was expecting from this game. Very old school FPS style with the enemy trigger points and not being able to carry 8 different guns. I didn't think it was that bad, but I still stand by my original opinion of picking it up when it drops to $30 or less probably around the holidays.

[quote name='hustletron']I mean the game has been announced for 10+ years and then this is what they come up with graphics wise? If people WEREN'T disappointed I'd be surprised.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I would have been shocked if it did look like a top-of-the-line shooter, considering that game engines are a moving target and that if you have been in development hell for that long, you are likely going to be in a dated engine.

I think the fact that it even got released should have shocked a lot of people. Fact is, getting anything beyond that should be a bonus.

This demo is the same demo they've been showing off for almost a year. Not the best way to advertise your new game. I'm hoping they've spent the time between then and now tightening everything up. I played through the demo a second time and was hoping I'd like it better, but I didn't. I'll give it a rental... eventually.

Straight out unreal 2 engine graphics. As a hardcore Duke fan from 3D, I am disappointed to know that 720p is wasted on these graphics. Maybe once it hits $20 I will get it. Love the humor, hate the chunks. I have a HDTV for a reason.

[quote name='nbballard']It wasn't a "wish" as much as it was me hoping that Gearbox didn't actually do any of the work on the game. I have a lot of respect for that team after some of the Half-Life work and Borderlands. I didn't see a lot of them reflected in this product.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, if I remember correctly they got the game when it was like 75-80% done they mostly had to clean things up. I know gearbox did not have any real impact on the game. Then again I respect Gearbox for taking a chance and releasing this.

Gearbox basically just secured the IP and maintained the original vision. Gearbox gets all of the credit for running the last leg of the race and being a good citizen in the industry but whether the game is a success or a failure really shouldn't be put upon their shoulders.

The launch trailer, however, screams Gearbox.

I really hope that this game sells well so that we can hopefully get another Duke game that actually has mechanics from this generation, but I'm kind of sure that it won't sell well or will get bought and traded in in almost no time at all.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I think the fact that it even got released should have shocked a lot of people. Fact is, getting anything beyond that should be a bonus.[/QUOTE]

I don't feel like I should have any sort of gratitude for a company getting out a crappy game just for the sake of getting it out. I played the demo and the previous comment of it looking like a 4 year old game is WAY too generous. Even if you give it credit for looking like a 4 year old game, it still PLAYS like an 8 year old game, it basically feels like an original XBox game. I would have rather seen Gearbox completely scrap the game work on it for another two years and release something that was truly special then just carry the dead corpse of this game to completiion and put it out just for the sake of getting it out there, because if this game bombs, it WILL hurt Gearbox's reputation even though they probably don't deserve it.

Joystiq gave it 2 out of 5 stars. I'm still going with what I've said before. IGN and the rest will give it a 6 or lower. Joystiq almost mentioned the online was extremely laggy.

They should not be charging 60 bucks for this game. I don't care that it's releasing in 2011, it's essentially a game stuck in 1998. I'll pick this up for 10 bucks. I love the Duke Nukem humor, but I'm not paying all that money to play a shitty game.

bread's done
Back