Duke Nukem Forever - New DLC Campaign Expansion: The Doctor (Proton) Who Cloned Me

The CE is only available through GameStop/Amazon, right? And actually *is* limited, isn't it? I think the CE might get rareish.. the game itself? It's going to fall fast.

[quote name='georox']The CE is only available through GameStop/Amazon, right? And actually *is* limited, isn't it? I think the CE might get rareish.. the game itself? It's going to fall fast.[/QUOTE]
It was rare when people bought up the original 2000 per system in less than 24 hours, then Gearbox/2K saw dollar signs and decided to do a mass print run. Now that people are canceling preorders, I'm sure you'll see some on sale down the road.

[quote name='Guerrilla']It was rare when people bought up the original 2000 per system in less than 24 hours, then Gearbox/2K saw dollar signs and decided to do a mass print run. Now that people are canceling preorders, I'm sure you'll see some on sale down the road.[/QUOTE]

Wait, they decided to make more than the original allotment? ....

It's actually getting decent reviews from a lot of places, kind of surprising. Nothing above 80% but I was sure it would be getting like 20-30% everywhere. I just know it's going to drop like a rock, so I'm waiting it out.

I'm still picking up my Balls of Steel Edition this Tuesday, I'll definitely enjoy this game! If you have a decent rig, PC is the way to go with Duke. I hear the console ports aren't too impressive.

[quote name='AndrewCP']I hear the console port isn't too impressive.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the PC version was quite disappointing from what I've been hearing.
Wish Gearbox would ditch PC, games like this and Borderlands suffer due to the bad ports from console :cry:
I'd rather they just sell the game exclusively on console than push crap console ports onto unsuspecting PC gamers.

Console ports seem like a lazy job from Gearbox,just from looking at a comparison shot between the PC and 360

graphicscomparison.jpg

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']Yeah, the PC version was quite disappointing from what I've been hearing.
Wish Gearbox would ditch PC, games like this and Borderlands suffer due to the bad ports from console :cry:
I'd rather they just sell the game exclusively on console than push crap console ports onto unsuspecting PC gamers.[/QUOTE]

Actually I meant the opposite. The game was developed and finished for the PC first. It was then ported to the consoles by Piranha Games who also did the game's multiplayer. It would usually seem that a console game gets ported to the PC but this one is a PC game that got ported to the consoles. I really really want to make that clear.

Finally here eh? I remember being excited about the next Duke in 1996.

I'll wait for it to get cheap. No offense Duke. I do that for most games. In 1996 might have paid $60 for you. Not today.

I'm super excited for this game, but I just canceled my two Ball of Steel copies of the game. I was planning on getting both the PC and PS3 version, but I ordered way back when 2K Games said each version was limited to 2000, and then decided to keep them because they said that they were still limited.

I just found an unboxing video somewhere, and his certificate said that it was limited edition number 83,383.

Okay 2K games, originally this was going to have 6000 copies, now I know that there is more than 12 times that many floating around? It looks cool and all, but I'll snag it for $27 like I did with Epic Mickey two months after release. I've got enough of a backlog to to through, and I feel misled by the original numbers they were going to make. I figured both copies would hold their value, but with a minimum of 83,400 of these out there, I might as well wait and not get burned.

Look at the Dead Rising 2 special edition. What was that, like $100-$150 when it released? You can now buy them on Amazon and other sites for around $35-$40 (and that's actually for a good game). No reason to buy "special" or "limited" editions of games.

Man, this game is getting RIPPED in reviews. I'm not even going to buy this at a bargain bin price. Who knows where this leaves Duke Nukem.

[quote name='sotc1988']Man, this game is getting RIPPED in reviews. I'm not even going to buy this at a bargain bin price. Who knows where this leaves Duke Nukem.[/QUOTE]

Gearbox is going to make a sequel,they didn't buy the license for just this game.

A lot of those bad reviews are for the 360 version of the game. PC version is getting better scores. It was a PC game to begin with so makes sense (esp if the porting wasn't too great).

[quote name='SEH']Look at the Dead Rising 2 special edition. What was that, like $100-$150 when it released? You can now buy them on Amazon and other sites for around $35-$40 (and that's actually for a good game). No reason to buy "special" or "limited" editions of games.[/QUOTE]

If it was actually, you know, limited, I would have been fine with it. But once they took the cap off it, it means that it is definitely going to drop to half off within a few months.

There have been a few games that actually had limited runs of their LE versions, and those tend to hold their value or raise -- but in general, yeah they drop. Had this had the 2000 / console made, it would be worth way more right now, who knows about the future -- but I just heard someone has already opened one with a certificate in the 130ks. When it is that "limited" I'll take my chance on it.

As for the actual game, I don't really like newer FPS games, but I loved old school ones. I'm actually relatively certain that I'll really like the game since it isn't Halo / Killzone / Portal, but not to donate away that much money for it now...

[quote name='AndrewCP']A lot of those bad reviews are for the 360 version of the game. PC version is getting better scores. It was a PC game to begin with so makes sense (esp if the porting wasn't too great).[/QUOTE]

Only thing different is the crappy textures on the PC being even shittier on the consoles. The core gameplay is no different.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/10/duke-nukem-forever-review/

I'm thinking this will probably sum up my thoughts on the game.[/QUOTE]

I "hate" reviews that go longer than a page. So, jumping straight to the end brought me to this: I’m sure that years of anticipation will spoil Duke Nukem Forever for some—there’s no getting around that at the end of that long road is only a good game and not an amazing one. It is what it is. He may not be at the top of his game, but even after all this time, Duke still knows how to party.

[quote name='SEH']Only thing different is the crappy textures on the PC being even shittier on the consoles. The core gameplay is no different.[/QUOTE]

That's a lie as there are more differences like performance and frame rate issues. If that's not up to par it can ruin the experience quite dramatically. 360 appears to have way longer load times as well. Types of controls also makes for a different experience (possibly depending on player) such as controller vs. mouse and keyboard.

I wouldn't call the graphics bad, they're fine but a few years dated obviously. Still, the game looks better than it has previously and the demo was just a couple very small portions of the full game. That being said, some people will like the game and others won't and that's cool. I think it's a pretty epic looking game. I don't know if it'll be the best game in the world but I think it'll at least be pretty damn good and if it is even better than that, then that's excellent.

The game is out now on Steam. Still debating over whether to get it from Green Man Gaming for $36.49 now or wait for a half off sale or something.

[quote name='Killbomb']The game is out now on Steam. Still debating over whether to get it from Green Man Gaming for $36.49 now or wait for a half off sale or something.[/QUOTE]
It's going to sell well the first week, then drop off. We may see sales soon.

i got the game for pc. About three hours in and its wut i expected. It's a decent and duke like game with humor. As far as loading times ago. 5-10 secs and thats it for me. I really have no issue with it at all. There are some frame issues/lag at random times but that can be fixed with a patch. But it still a pretty decent/fun game. Mainly looking forward to the mp of game. But i will play that after i beat sp.

Got this on PC since the 360 version has issues.

I have a budget gaming PC (go $340!!!) with a Radeon HD4670. Running with near max settings. Played through the first level really quick. Had 1 instance of slowdown by the whiteboard for about 2 seconds, outside of that seems to run pretty well. About 20 seconds level load and 10 second death load.

I have low expectations, but graphics and performance look good to me so far.

Oh ya, it instantly detected a 360 controller and controller seems to work perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course it runs awesome on a 4670, the game was made years ago and could probably run well on a Voodoo4 4500 or a Rage 128 Pro.

My friend sent me a email this morning telling me not to buy it at full price and he wished he hadnt boughten it for more than 20 bucks. He got the pc version and played it 2 or 3 hours.

Said he would sit there during cut scenes with his head propped on his arm waiting for them to end and when he was playing it was basically just like a dozen other shooters he had played in the past couple years. In terms of gameplay it wasnt bad but it was really "just another shooter".

He said the humor in it was aimed at 11 year boys idea of what funny is, and then was re-written by people people who have maybe watched scary movie but have no real idea what comedy is or how to present it well. He said it was basically just forced into the game painfully.

But to be fair I never once saw gearbox say DNF would be a good game, they never claimed it would be. They just said it would be outrageous and over the top, I guess they delivered exactly what they promised.

Then again I didnt expect much, gearbox has never made a great game. They make mediocre games that arent bad persay but exactly real good either.

[quote name='AndrewCP']A lot of those bad reviews are for the 360 version of the game. PC version is getting better scores. It was a PC game to begin with so makes sense (esp if the porting wasn't too great).[/QUOTE]

The only difference is graphics. Its still the same game, same gameplay, same dialouge and so on. How it looks is the only difference. Just being on another system doesnt make the game itself any better or worse really because its still the same game.

[quote name='SEH']Of course it runs awesome on a 4670, the game was made years ago and could probably run well on a Voodoo4 4500 or a Rage 128 Pro.[/QUOTE]

Now that's just fuckin retarded and immature to say.

Anyway, I picked up my copy at GameStop this early afternoon!

dsc00627ms.jpg

[quote name='gargus']My friend sent me a email this morning telling me not to buy it at full price and he wished he hadnt boughten it for more than 20 bucks. He got the pc version and played it 2 or 3 hours.

Said he would sit there during cut scenes with his head propped on his arm waiting for them to end and when he was playing it was basically just like a dozen other shooters he had played in the past couple years. In terms of gameplay it wasnt bad but it was really "just another shooter".

He said the humor in it was aimed at 11 year boys idea of what funny is, and then was re-written by people people who have maybe watched scary movie but have no real idea what comedy is or how to present it well. He said it was basically just forced into the game painfully.

But to be fair I never once saw gearbox say DNF would be a good game, they never claimed it would be. They just said it would be outrageous and over the top, I guess they delivered exactly what they promised.

Then again I didnt expect much, gearbox has never made a great game. They make mediocre games that arent bad persay but exactly real good either.

The only difference is graphics. Its still the same game, same gameplay, same dialouge and so on. How it looks is the only difference. Just being on another system doesnt make the game itself any better or worse really because its still the same game.[/QUOTE]
Borderlands was a mediocre game?

[quote name='pjb16']Borderlands was a mediocre game?[/QUOTE]

It's hard to take anyone seriously who says things like "boughten" and "persay."

[quote name='gargus']
[/QUOTE]

Yeah-well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.jpg

Played for about 3.5 hours. Had 2 hard lockups, in random spots. The game seems to struggle in the weirdest places (often not in combat). I punched a wall in the construction area and my game chugged for 4-5 seconds lol.

I find the game very fun and I think the boss fights are great. Strangely enough, it feels very fresh to me. I guess it's pretty much the lovechild of Duke3D + Halo. The game seems to enrage some people, so I guess it's hit or miss.

The only thing I was disappointed with so far was the pinball game. The octababies are very hard to shoot, but I guess you can just step on them?? so maybe I wasn't approaching that right.

[quote name='SEH']Truth hurts.[/QUOTE]

I fail to see how this would run on ancient ancient hardware. It doesn't need the latest video card and I know even some pretty old ones will do just fine but let's face it, you were really trolling with that post.

[quote name='pjb16']Borderlands was a mediocre game?[/QUOTE]

It was to me.

Millions think dancing with the stars is great television, millions think mcdonalds has good food, millions think reality tv is good stuff, millions think britney spears is a good singer, millions think tom cruise is a good actor, millions think bush is a great leader, and millions michael bay is a great director. I dont agree with any of them, no reason why I have to agree with a bunch of people who like borderlands. Borderlands wasnt a bad, but it wasnt great either, it was just average.

[quote name='Survivalism']It's hard to take anyone seriously who says things like "boughten" and "persay."[/QUOTE]

Well boughten is a word according to websters. You know, the english dictionary people?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boughten?show=0&t=1308112774

And persay was a phonetic mistake on my part since my fingers typed how it sounds instead of how its spelled. I meant perse which is still a word

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/per%20se

So I fail to see what it is you’re actually trying to say. I’m sure it sounded like you were being snarky, savvy and suave in your head but in reality it doesn’t make much sense at all. Particularly since you can’t be bothered to explain why you’re saying. Just making some pitiful attempt at a snide comment and leaving without actually saying anything is pointless. Unless of course you dont care about actually conversing or having a point so you can walk away with a smug sense of self satisfaction of telling yourself "I sure told him!" while I sit and laugh at you then thats ok I suppose.

But since I can see IQ's, manners and the ability to have a conversation has gone right down the toilet in this thread Ill consider it dead and move on.

[quote name='gargus']It was to me.

Millions think dancing with the stars is great television, millions think mcdonalds has good food, millions think reality tv is good stuff, millions think britney spears is a good singer, millions think tom cruise is a good actor, millions think bush is a great leader, and millions michael bay is a great director. I dont agree with any of them, no reason why I have to agree with a bunch of people who like borderlands. Borderlands wasnt a bad, but it wasnt great either, it was just average.

Well boughten is a word according to websters. You know, the english dictionary people?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boughten?show=0&t=1308112774

And persay was a phonetic mistake on my part since my fingers typed how it sounds instead of how its spelled. I meant perse which is still a word

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/per%20se

So I fail to see what it is you’re actually trying to say. I’m sure it sounded like you were being snarky, savvy and suave in your head but in reality it doesn’t make much sense at all. Particularly since you can’t be bothered to explain why you’re saying. Just making some pitiful attempt at a snide comment and leaving without actually saying anything is pointless. Unless of course you dont care about actually conversing or having a point so you can walk away with a smug sense of self satisfaction of telling yourself "I sure told him!" while I sit and laugh at you then thats ok I suppose.

But since I can see IQ's, manners and the ability to have a conversation has gone right down the toilet in this thread Ill consider it dead and move on.[/QUOTE]

Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition won't have trophies. I thought I should let you know, lol

My only problem with the game so far is I am playing the game on hard and it's still pretty easy for me. Granted I only got to the part
After you kill the mothership and you are driving the RC car
, but still. I am enjoying my time with this game.

That always goes on behind the scenes but publicly announcing it is a one-way ticket to being out of business. It's the reason why generic, redundant games like COD or Halo go year after year with near-perfect scores undeserved. Gaming journalism today is a complete joke for the most part and I really don't have a single outlet I truly trust for reviews.

Just finished the campaign and I enjoyed it for the most part. I enjoyed the platforming, driving and puzzles even if some of them did overstay their welcome. The only sections I didn't much care for were the underwater levels. They were the only time I cursed at the game out of frustration. I did die a fair share on normal so I wouldn't say the game is overly easy either. Graphics are decent for the most part. There are some bad textures but there are also some impressive scenes and areas.

Online is hit and miss to me. It can be hard to even get in a game and then lag is often a problem. It can be fun when it's working and there are a lot of challenges and things to unlock.

Overall, I'd give the game a 7.5 or 8. I really don't understand where the Fs & 2 or 3s out of 10 are coming from. DNF is miles better than something that deserves such low scores such as Shellshock 2. It didn't crash, the controls do what they are supposed to and I had fun. I'm happy with my purchase.

[quote name='Jodou']That always goes on behind the scenes but publicly announcing it is a one-way ticket to being out of business. It's the reason why generic, redundant games like COD or Halo go year after year with near-perfect scores undeserved. Gaming journalism today is a complete joke for the most part and I really don't have a single outlet I truly trust for reviews.[/QUOTE]
You know, I played enough hours of Duke right now to really say that it's not the problem that I have that it got a low score. It's the fact that a game like Sonic 2006 could get a better score than DNF at some places when Sonic 2006 is filled with bugs, horrible control issues, so many things wrong with it (I played both might I add). Duke is just another shooter, and sure it has bad load times, and some other problems there isn't any major game breaking flaws. I mean sure the score means nothing really when thinking about reviews, but just the fact that there is no quality control in reviews, kinda sickens me.

I'm about 5 hours in and really enjoying the game so far. I even admit I was weary of playing the game and thought maybe it wouldn't be as good as I thought hearing about the bad reviews in advance. Just proves to me once again that reviews can be meaningless and as long as you enjoy it that's all that matters. Not just DNF but I've played plenty of other games that got mediocre reviews but enjoyed them a lot. Perhaps I've bad taste?

[quote name='AndrewCP']I'm about 5 hours in and really enjoying the game so far. I even admit I was weary of playing the game and thought maybe it wouldn't be as good as I thought hearing about the bad reviews in advance. Just proves to me once again that reviews can be meaningless and as long as you enjoy it that's all that matters. Not just DNF but I've played plenty of other games that got mediocre reviews but enjoyed them a lot. Perhaps I've bad taste?[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's not your taste it's everybody going into the game with preconceived hate and unfair expectations due to the long development cycle.

I played through the whole game on the middle difficulty on the PC. I didn't find the game that bad. It wasn't groin grabibngly good - but it was fun and pretty much what I expected.

I thought the halo and CoD references were pretty funny and all the Duke-ness was what I expected and hoped for.

There are a few things that if they changed would of made it a really good game to me.

More levels in Las Vegas or other interesting locations - like the Duke Burger, Strip Join, Casino, etc. Once you got to the hive the levels kind of felt a little blah to me.

The monster truck over stayed it's welcome.

The underwater level. It was super throwback - reminded me of playing the first Quake - but I found it got kind of annoying after a few min.

Finally - there should have been a need to use different guns more often. I could shotgun through virtually every guy in the game. I also sometimes used rockets, the exterminator (or something like that) gun, and the obliterator (or whatever that other one was called). I never felt the need to use anything else.

Overall I honestly thought it was an okay / good game and would probably give it a 6.5 out of 10. I guess I'm not a great judge of games though. I absolutely loved Deadly Premonition and Nier.

[quote name='Dokstarr']I guess I'm not a great judge of games though. I absolutely loved Deadly Premonition and Nier.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed Nier but thought Deadly Premonition was pretty bad outside of the wacky story. I do agree with most of your comments on DNF though.

[quote name='Dokstarr']

Overall I honestly thought it was an okay / good game and would probably give it a 6.5 out of 10. I guess I'm not a great judge of games though. I absolutely loved Deadly Premonition and Nier.[/QUOTE]
Nier was my 2nd favorite game of 2010 next to Just Cause 2, and many people do like Nier. Anyway I will have to agree with the 6.5 out of 10 score. If they fixed the load times on the PS3 version I would give it a solid 7. I guess the reason I like this game so much (even though it's mediocre), is it's something refreshing outside of generic fps coming out nowadays. It has it's own style and it works to an extent. I guess I haven't played something like this in awhile and it's like I know this game is mediocre but it's all I got for the mindless carefree shooters.

Also beat the game on Hard last night. I have to admit, on hard this game is still fucking easy. I kinda regret playing on hard due to the rage I felt with the abysmal load times for every death, but I got through it. If they fix the load times I may need to beat it on impossible.

I beat it on Let's Rock, gotta try Come Get Some. All in all I had great fun with the campaign. As was said the final boss fight could've been more challenging (probably a bitch on the Damn I'm Good difficulty) but didn't ruin the game for me. The ending was a good laugh and I suspect there will be upcoming single player DLC that will expand on the game in the near future. Just disregard the development time on this game and treat it as any other game, it's a blast. In no way does the game deserve below a 7 and in my opinion it isn't a below an 8.

bread's done
Back