Dungeon Siege III $59.96 with $10 gift card Walmart.com & now Amazon!

Doubt I will be picking this up after trying the demo anyways. It is pretty much what you would expect from a game like that, it just didn't have the 'fun' factor going for some reason. I could play Diablo for days, but this just didn't have that 'pizaaz.'

[quote name='BrolyB593']Doubt I will be picking this up after trying the demo anyways. It is pretty much what you would expect from a game like that, it just didn't have the 'fun' factor going for some reason. I could play Diablo for days, but this just didn't have that 'pizaaz.'[/QUOTE]

I thought for sure this was going to be a release day purchase for me, but my god the demo was boring as hell. Definitely going to rent it first.

Have it preordered as GS already with credit. Unless K-mart gets a good deal, gonna buy it there.

I am excited about the idea of not pointing and clicking the whole game. Torchlight was good, but after awhile the point and clicking got to me.

[quote name='DeathMoJo']Hmm, might have to bite on this game at release if we get some good deals. Always liked the Dungeon Siege series.[/QUOTE]

Well its made by obsidian now and obsidian at best is mediocre. The original dev of the series isnt making it. They manage to kill every franchise they are given a chance at. Best game they made was fallout new vegas and it still wasnt half as good as fallout 3.

Im just going to hold out for diablo 3, maybe we will get lucky and have it around christmas. If nothing else I can pick up a dozen clicky dungeon crawlers 4 times as good as this likely will be for 1/4th the price to hold me over till diablo 3.

[quote name='gargus']Well its made by obsidian now and obsidian at best is mediocre. The original dev of the series isnt making it. They manage to kill every franchise they are given a chance at. Best game they made was fallout new vegas and it still wasnt half as good as fallout 3.

Im just going to hold out for diablo 3, maybe we will get lucky and have it around christmas. If nothing else I can pick up a dozen clicky dungeon crawlers 4 times as good as this likely will be for 1/4th the price to hold me over till diablo 3.[/QUOTE]

Well and dont forget too that Torchlight 2 is supposed to come out sometime this month...though I am starting to doubt that since there is still no release date or preorder.

is amazon no longer offering that ring as part of the preorder? I've been watching to see if they will match the $10 credit, and cant see the ring as a preorder bonus...hmm..

ya im following Dungeon Siege 3 and debating which pre-order bonus to go for. I also noticed too that amazons pre-order bonus is no longer available... if anyone know some deets fill us in thx.

Based on the demo the graphics are washed out and have a low polygon count, dreamcast-like. Combat is slow. This isn't even as good as torchlight if you are doing a singleplayer. I don't know how fun multi will be with this, but i read that the camera is shared.

[quote name='Gamehead']Based on the demo the graphics are washed out and have a low polygon count, dreamcast-like. Combat is slow. This isn't even as good as torchlight if you are doing a singleplayer. I don't know how fun multi will be with this, but i read that the camera is shared.[/QUOTE]
I dont like the sound of this. I'm downloading the demo now and will give it a try later this evening. I had high hopes for this one.

Man lots of bad thoughts on the demo already! Since diablo 3 looks to be at best offering a demo later this year, or so I've read, I figured this game might be a fun multi-player crawler offering for me and a friend. He's hooked on torchlight and I have it as well, but since there is no MP until torchlight II...

I just couldn't stomache more diablo II, especially after losing most/all of my characters from last time we played. Hunted is kind of fun, will be better multi-player, but it doesn't look like the game has legs.

From everything I read, you also do not retain any loot, progress, or exp when playing MP. That's a pretty glaring flaw for games of this type. Just wait for D3 IMO.

Hopefully the PSN can get up ASAP so I can try the demo. From what I seen this game still looks really promising for me. Now granted I never played Diablo in my life, but as an alternative I think this looks ok.

[quote name='Jodou']From everything I read, you also do not retain any loot, progress, or exp when playing MP. That's a pretty glaring flaw for games of this type. Just wait for D3 IMO.[/QUOTE]

How can that be possible?

[quote name='Vortextk']How can that be possible?[/QUOTE]

There's been a LOT of speculation between previews and what Obsidian has said. There's still no absolute confirmation on how it works. A lot of people were pissed when they read that statement about the saving, and complained, which lead me to believe that Obsidian said they were making changes to it. (haven't really kept up with it)

Regardless, though, I'm going to submit this to Amazon as well. I'm definitely picking it up.

The last I read on the subject was back in March, so anything is possible. Either way, would you really want to buy from a developer who was even considering such design? That and it's Obsidian, aka buggy as hell.

Ok so I'm reading up into this to try to get a feel, excuse any mistakes you see as I'm kind of jumbling a bunch of knowledge together but please point them out.

First of all, this isn't a strict diablo clone I expected, maybe that's smart, maybe that's incredibly dumb, we'll see.

I'm not sure if the campaign has you with all 4 characters all the time, for argument's sake lets say it's always a foursome. You have your single player character. He levels, earns skills and equips loot you find just like any other game in this genre.

Now you want to host online for a friend, you have to make a new character, because your first character is tied where he is in the story. You can't use him for multi-player anyway, I don't think, but even if you could you CAN NOT bring him back to the beginning of the game. So you host a game for you and a friend online, you decide to play one of the other three characters and your friend randomly picks one. After a few hours, you tell him you're tired and get off.

Now, he doesn't get to keep anything he's done on that character when he disconnects from you, but when he joins you again, that character should be the same as he left him(or auto leveled up if you've played without him). Meaning, he is playing a character on YOUR game file and ON your file, he has the same build and equipment he had before, but this is tied to your online play of your second character. None of these characters can interact with your singleplayer save nor can your friend migrate his character he's been playing back into his own singleplayer or another multi-player game.

Every single version of a character, whether on a multi or single save file, is unique and non-transferable. This is why I'm thinking of the multiplayer as some kind of single player addon. If you were for instance playing FFXIII, and could have a friend join you to play as snow for a few hours, it would be similar. In your game he's snow, and he might choose what skills to level and what equipment to wear, but when he leaves you he doesn't get to take that with him. That snow character is still stuck on your save, on your singleplayer game path though the game. You can't import him to another console nor import him to another place in the game because in your save file, he is at a specific part in the story, and must stay there.

Not only that, but like in FFXIII and in this game, you CAN NOT have more than 1 character per save. If you wanna play the sword wielding guy, you're it, no one else can be him. Again going back to the idea of singleplayer/story mode trumping any kind of multiplayer/co-op, at no point in the story is snow cloned so that the party consists of 3 snows.

I think it's an interesting way to think about the game, but it is flawed in every single level of it's execution. The entire game becomes an arcade experience. Insert a coin and press start to jump in with a stranger at any point in their game, but as soon as you leave, you lose everything you've done with them unless you play with them again. Even playing with a friend is only somewhat better as if the host plays without someone else, they just completely miss parts of the game as that character but atleast auto level. If they want to play and the host isn't around/doesn't want to/hates the game, they have no way to access a character they might've spent 10 hours on playing with the host.

I hope in one of the ways I explained it, it makes sense. This is from late april, I can't imagine it changing much since, but I'm going to read a bit more..

I see what you're saying and it's a terrible way to get around not providing any servers. It would make more sense to just allow people to use their SP characters in MP, because if you have 4 people playing together and the host isn't on one night you're screwed. Being stuck playing one class is pretty retarded as well, since you can't work on different characters if you want to change it up. $50 is far too much to pay for some shitty Diablo clone IMO. Rather put that money towards the inevitable D3 CE that will be $100 for sure.

Now I'm reading SE wanted a secret of mana system, which is EXACTLY what this game is doing and if we were still playing SNES with no online abilities whatsoever, I would have NO PROBLEM WITH WHATSOEVER.

I didn't think about that until I read it either and while I'm not sure if it's true, that is exactly how you should think of this game. It's secret of mana style, except you can secret of mana online or presumably lan it up, but whoever owns the snes is the only one that can let you play that particular character that you've been on with them. This was groundbreaking fun nearly TWENTY YEARS AGO! I'd figure we had progressed since then.

[quote name='Vortextk']Now I'm reading SE wanted a secret of mana system, which is EXACTLY what this game is doing

[/QUOTE]

I am fine with this actually. I have no intention of playing the game online. If I want to play an online Dungeon Crawler, I will just buy Torchlight 2. As long as this game provides a fun experience with lots of loot, I will be happy.

While that's nice for you this is one of those times I think you need to think about other people...Kind of a slap to the face to some, with someone's johnson. I played dungeon siege at a lan with like 5 people once, was DSII the same diablo type system? Regardless of changing hands, changing the fundamental online aspects also doesn't quite sit right with me. I never expected a different online system because quite frankly, unless they're going STRICTLY single player like torchlight, I can't even imagine seeing something different, till reading this post lastnight.

This game is more like Secret of Mana or BG: Dark Alliance and less like Diablo. Once you start playing it with that in mind it makes a lot of sense.

I picked up the demo, and while the graphics aren't the best the combat is actually pretty fun. The skill point system really does have an effect on how you play your character.

Lol great, so it's more about your template than player skill? Definitely double-scratching this off the list.

I thought the demo was decent. I had fun when there were enemies to fight, who were a little too few and far between. Going to try the PC demo next week before I make a final decision. Don't care about MP in these types of games so whatever system they have has no impact.

[quote name='Vortextk']No I'm pretty sure it's play style what he means and skill has never been a big factor in any of these games...ever.[/QUOTE]

For the majority of the population... Skill cap and how hard a GOOD dungeon crawler is is dictated by the player.

I really want this to be good, but I don't have gold so lol, wait one week. Cool.

Like the others said, I meant playstyle. So like ranged/magic user versus spear wielding Amazon, that sort of thing.

Either way, the PC/PS3 demo is coming out soon so you can give it a try for yourself.

after the playing the demo a few times over, paying $59 msrp doesnt seem justifiable, perhaps i expected to much. with the rumors of torchlight 2 coming out sometime this month, i'll pick that up and wait till DS3 hits around $30.

bread's done
Back