DVD Boxset deals at Big Lots Warner Bros, Hanna Barbera season sets $3, $6, and $10

Friend of Sonic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Trade thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231128

Big Azz sale at Big Lots on Warner Bros. sets (with some Hanna Barbera cartoons, and a spot of HBO DVDs) Originally the sale was only for 6 dollar sets, as advertised in their circular ad, but now they've added $3 and $10 sets. (These $3 and $10 sets, while currently ringing up at the correct prices, are supposed to be withheld for the 07/26 sales ad, which would explain why there may be trouble seeing them early, depending on your store)

Here are the boxsets seperated by price group.

$3

Adventures of Superman [Live action from '50s] (multiple seasons noted, need specifics)
Appleseed ExMachina 2 disc Steelcase
Batman the Animated Series volume 1 and Superman (90s cartoon) volume 1 bundled together
Batman the Animated Series (volumes 1, 3, 4)
Batman Beyond (Seasons 2, 3)
Best of Larry King interviews
Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines complete series
Everwood season 1
Flintstones (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Johnny Quest season 1
Josie and the Pussy Cats complete series
Mission Hill complete series
Murphy Brown season 1 (price needs confirmation)
New Adventures of Lois and Clark (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4)
Pebbles and Bam-Bam show complete series
Perils of Penelope Pitstop
Popeye the Sailor 1933-1938 shorts collection
Power Puff Girls complete series
Space Ghost and Dino Boy complete series
Superman four disc SE
Tales from the Crypt (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Tom and Jerry three disc set
Top Cat complete series
Veronica Mars season 2
Wacky Races complete series
War at Home season 1

$6

Animaniacs (volumes 1, 2, 3)
Babylon 5 movie collection
Blade: The Complete Series
Dallas (seasons 1+2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Drew Carey season 1
Dukes of Hazard (seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
ER (seasons 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Friends (Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Full House (seasons 5, 6)
History of Rock and Roll
Jamie Fox Show (select seasons)
Joey season 1
Justice League (two pack and three pack of episodes spotted)
Knots Landing season 1 (also select seasons)
Lakers' Championship
Life Goes On season 1
Loonatics Unleashed season 1
Looney Tunes short spotlight collection volume 2 (not the normal big set, this is something smaller with half the content)
NFL Inside the Vault
Night Court season 1
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
:br: Nip Tuck season 4 (also on :dvd:)
The OC (seasons 2, 3)
Pinky and the Brain (volumes 1, 2)
Pro Football Hall of Fame: 85 years of Greatness
Pup named Scooby Doo two-pack
Roots: 30th Anniversary
Roots: The Next Generation
Samurai Jack seasons 1-3 pack (entire series)
Scooby Doo season 3
Scooby Doo Best of New Scooby Doo Movies
Scooby Doo movie 5-pack
Scooby Doo Dynomutt Hour complete series
Scooby Doo/Tom and Jerry two pack movie set
Six Feet Under season 3 (also select seasons)
Smallville season 4 (also select seasons)
:br: Smallville (seasons 6, 7)
Southpark three pack [not full seasons]
Super Bowl Collections (I-X, XI-XX, XXI-XXX, XXXI-XL)
Super Friends (volume 1, volume 2)
Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show- The Complete series (13 episodes)
Thundercats (season 1 volume 1, season 1 volume 2, season 1 volume 3, season 2 volume 2)
Tracey Takes On (seasons 1, 2)
Wait till your Father Comes Home season 1
The West Wing season 2
Wonder Woman (complete series and invidual box sets of seasons spotted)

$10

IMAX movie collection
Looney Tunes Golden Collection 1-5 bundle
Looney Tunes movie collection (The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie, and 1001 Rabbit Tales)
Roots complete collection
Stanley Kubrick movie collection
Super Bowl collection (all four sets combined?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've called up my local BL's in hopes of sending my g/f there if they put out anything new... No trucks till Monday... Where I am staying on vacation however, they said they are getting deliveries tomorrow, so I'm hopeful I can squeeZe in a few trips in between hitting the theme parks over the next couple days

Does anyone know what their return policy is? Like a moron I bought one today that I bought last week. All those Superfriends DVDs look a like to me. I knew I should have made a list before going today.

[quote name='fairyland']Does anyone know what their return policy is? Like a moron I bought one today that I bought last week. All those Superfriends DVDs look a like to me. I knew I should have made a list before going today.[/QUOTE]

If it's still sealed, should be 30 days with receipt. At the bottom it actually prints the date the receipt is good until.

SHIT!! If not for the FYE trade credit deal thread, I would've never known about this sale. I'm short on cash, but I'd LOVE to pick up both Pinky & The Brain volumes and the Animaniacs ones.

I also wish to hell Warner would put Freakazoid on a normal DVD boxset already, since I think there is only a bootleg available as of now.

actually one set came out last year and the second set this year. the dd sale is prolly your best bet unless you have a ton of fye credit.

I went to Big Lots when they opened Sunday. They did have about 100 box sets. But they were crap - and about ten copies of each.

Dukes season 4 and 5

OC season 2

Roots

Night Court season 1

total crap that no one is my area would even buy for a dollar.

I'm just going to plan on being at BL on opening for the next few days... I don;t know if they have any other boxes of DVD's or not. The CSS I talked to didn't think so, but I want to be sure they aren't holding boxes back for the Sunday Ad. For the America's Game set, I may just have to camp out at BL :)

got animaniacs v1 & 2

Niptuck season 4

History of Rock n Roll

What the hell is up with all the Joeys!!!!!! Why were so many of these made>?

Still looking for the Holy Grail....the Looney Tunes box set.

I picked up an extra Josie and the Pussycats today. It was the last $3 set I could find. Next time, I'm just going to buy a crapload and put them up here for trade. No sense in letting the flippers and idiots I saw at BL yesterday grab all the sets...

[quote name='crazedracerguy']I picked up an extra Josie and the Pussycats today. It was the last $3 set I could find. Next time, I'm just going to buy a crapload and put them up here for trade. No sense in letting the flippers and idiots I saw at BL yesterday grab all the sets...[/QUOTE]

thats what i did. my area usually only has flippers and very little cag activity. and if anyone from the NH area wants to meet up to trade or buy, i am all for that.

[quote name='Animal7390']thats what i did. my area usually only has flippers and very little cag activity. and if anyone from the NH area wants to meet up to trade or buy, i am all for that.[/QUOTE]

Exactly - especially when the stuff was gone over the course of the first day of being put out. If CAGgers were there, then great - but the people I saw buying all the stuff were DEFINITELY not CAGgers.

ugghh finally found a boxset.....something, anything....unfortunatly all that had left was Dukes of Hazzard Season 5. Anyone know the FYE trade in value for this one? Or if anyone is looking for this boxset to trade let me know.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
Freakazoid is out legally as of this year - two sets cover the entire series.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. Thanks for the heads up about that. Between that series and the first couple seasons of Transformers G1, I was really wondering if they would EVER come out with legit boxsets for them. The only option available prior on the TF sets was a compilation from Asia in both Chinese and English, I believe.

[quote name='guitardedboy']got animaniacs v1 & 2

Niptuck season 4

History of Rock n Roll

What the hell is up with all the Joeys!!!!!! Why were so many of these made>?

Still looking for the Holy Grail....the Looney Tunes box set.[/QUOTE]

i would of got JOEY For 3.00... even at 6.00 JOEY is over priced : )

Joey: The Complete First Season [4 Discs][Subtitle] - DVD
SKU: 7750971 | Release Date: 5/30/2006 best buy 35.00

if best buy would price adjust would knock it little over 3.00 but i doubt they would price adjust even with teh 2 recpets

Not sure if any one posted this, but I also saw a South Park 3-pack for $6. I think it has 4 episodes from each of the first three seasons only, and not the complete seasons.

Picked up the only Animaniacs vol. 1. Can't find vol. 2, and skipped on Pinky and the Brain vol. 1. Also saw Super Friends, the OC, West Wing, Six Feet Under S3, Dukes of Hazzard, Knots Landing, and I think that was it.

[quote name='guitardedboy']What the hell is up with all the Joeys!!!!!! Why were so many of these made>?[/QUOTE]

Because they were hoping that the DVD boxset release for season one might help the show going into the second season. Instead it just went on its merry way to its grave. So now we are stuck with floods of them taking up valuable space at Big Lots.

Too bad its predecessor show couldn't of been a failure too.

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Exactly - especially when the stuff was gone over the course of the first day of being put out. If CAGgers were there, then great - but the people I saw buying all the stuff were DEFINITELY not CAGgers.[/QUOTE]

i want to run into one soooooo bad, but i have never run into one. i pick up more than one for my collection but i always offer anything i find extras of on cag first. if no one here wants one, then i mostly return them back to the store so someone else can find them. im about cag first.

word to your motha

I hit all 3 area Big Lots and picked up a sh*tload:

$3
Flintstones Complete 1st Season
Flintstones Complete 2nd Season
Flintstones Complete 3rd Season
Top Cat Complete Series
Wacky Races Complete Series
Dastardly& Muttley in their Flying Machines Complete Series
Appleseed ExMachina 2 disc :dvd: steelcase
Mission Hill Complete Series :shock:
Superman the Movie 4 disc SE :dvd: :shock:
Popeye Volume 1(Fleisher years)

$6
Animaniacs Season 1
Thundercats Season 1 Volume 1(contains episodes 1-33) :hot:

$10
Roots The Complete Collection

I saw Batman the Animated Series Season 4 for $3 :hot::hot::hot:

Finally, I can verify that the Looney Tunes Golden Collection 1-5 boxset is $10 and out there. I saw it behind the register being held for an employee :bomb:

I went to the local BL and found these:
Animaniacs Vol.1
Smallville S7 blu-ray
Pinky and the Brain Vol.1
Assorted Dallas, Nip Tuck, and The West Wing
Super Friends Vol. 2
Luckly I only saw 3 "Joey"s

When I get more money (who knows when) I could pick up some of these for some CAGs

I'm looking for Animaniacs Vol. 3.

I hope I find Looney Tunes at the Fayetteville BL.

Can anyone confirm which seasons of Tales from the Crypt are out on the shelves?

My car is in the shop right now and I'd hate to waste a friend's gas if it's something I got.

At any rate, guess I should make the trip and report back with what my BL has here.

[quote name='mistertateam']Can anyone confirm which seasons of Tales from the Crypt are out on the shelves?

My car is in the shop right now and I'd hate to waste a friend's gas if it's something I got.

At any rate, guess I should make the trip and report back with what my BL has here.[/QUOTE]

I saw season 3 and 5 at multiple locations

[quote name='manthing']I saw season 3 and 5 at multiple locations[/QUOTE]

TY sir. I'll take a look and keep an eye out for some of the better stuff..i.e. NOT Joey S1.

The only thing I saw at my Big Lots that was different than normal was Season 1 of Knots Landing and Season 1 of War at Home. My ma went ape shit for the Knots Landing and for 6 bucks the War at Home will get you a few cheap laughs.

As if I didn't spend enough time running around this past week to various Big Lots, now I have to do it again to find these new sets.

Thanks for the new info everyone who posted!

Looks like I'm hitting a few new spots tomorrow! I really want some of those Hanna Barbera sets.

My dad bought a $6 Civil War doc.
You know the smell of a new DVD/Game? The box for that doc. smelt like gunpowder O_O

[quote name='benzene']Picked up the following for $3 each:

Batman: TAS V1 with Superman: TAS V1
[/QUOTE]

Is this THE Batman: TAS that aired on the WB from 1992 - 1995 w/ Kevin Conroy voicing Batman and Mark Hamill voicing the Joker?

If true I will hit up all the Big Lots in a 40 mile radius.

I'm going to make a massive update to the OP tomorrow. It needs it. For now, I picked up Tales of the Crypt 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (to answer someoneone's questions which have been seen for sale, I just can't find #7, but that could just be me)

Also, sorry if these are repeats, but from what I haven't seen posted I picked up:

Two pack of volume 1 of the Superman 90s cartoon and volume 1 of Batman: The Animated Series (incredible deal at 3.00)

The New Adventures of Lois and Clark 1, 2, 3, and 4 (don't ask me why I bought this, as I'm not quite sure why myself)

Some Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm show, complete series boxset, where they're all grown up. With Sally Struthers doing the voice of Pebbles. That screams absolute shit, but for 3.00 I figured I might as well buy every Hanna Barbera set I could.

Also grabbed the only Batman Beyond season 3 they had. Saw in a box that the clerk was unboxing (but abandoned when she needed to ring some customers up) She came back, and jokingly said, "You gonna wait for me to put that on the shelf?" I took this as a challenge to my Batman Beyond season 3 and knocked her out. I may have been hasty, but at least I was able to leave the store without having to pay for my sets.

The rest I got were sets already mentioned, IIRC. Also saw some Everwood season 1 which I already had (great show, which I recommend)

I'm hoping this store maintains stock until Sunday where I could rebuy the sets with the 20% off coupon (unless, will they for some reason let me bring in my receipt and return and rebuy? The 15 bucks would be worth it)

EDIT: Just went ahead and knocked out the update. As always, please post any new changes needed for the OP (not to make Gothicwalrus the OP's pet or anything, but I was really digging the blue text for the new additions to the OP)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Friend of Sonic'] For now, I picked up Tales of the Crypt 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (to answer someoneone's questions which have been seen for sale, I just can't find #7, but that could just be me)
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Friend of Sonic! I'm going to take a trip out there after work because I definitely need to fill the gaps on my Crypt seasons. If I find a 7 it's all yours sir.

Yep... As I suspected, they're holding boxes in the back. The truck comes in Wednesday, but today I found:

The War At Home Season 1 ($3)
Flintstones Season 3 ($3)
Popeye 193x-193x ($3)

There was also a new group (I'm guessing from the same case) of $9 steel boxsets that had 90 classic movies, as well as some other sets - like suspense movies, horror (I think), etc. They were $9, as well, but varied from 50 to 70 movies or so in each case. Might be nice for some of you other collectors...

Guess I'll be making morning trips to BL for the forseeable future...

Called my local Big Lots yesterday to ask if they had any new DVDs or when trucks came. They said a truck was coming later and that anything new should be out by 1 today.

I went there at 10 and saw two guys with a cart with two Looney Tunes sets and some other stuff.

There was one more Looney Tunes set on the shelf :D

I also got:
Flintstones season 2
Flintstones season 3
Popeye: 1933-1938
Tracy Takes On season 1
All for $3 each.

Oh, also picked up the Stanley Kubrick boxset ($10; there were plenty) and saw the deluxe Roots set but passed on it.

Saw a bunch of Flinstones series (2,3,4 for sure), Batman AS Series 3, Wacky Races, the Warner Bros Academy Awards winners set, and some Tales From the Crypt, but pretty much the same stuff as normal (Tracy takes On, Joey, War at Home, OC Season 2, Smallville(non blu ray), Dallas, Dukes of Hazard, Pinky and The Brain).

Ended up picking up :

Tales from the Crypt Volume 4
Tales from the Crypt Volume 5
The WB AA set
Batman Animated Volume 3

Im about to go and check a few more because im looking for Friends series for my cousins bday tonight. If I see anything out of the norm Ill report it here.

Veronica Mars and Mission Hill? Lucky bastards.

I can't complain about my finds, but still...

[quote name='mrrepoman']Is this THE Batman: TAS that aired on the WB from 1992 - 1995 w/ Kevin Conroy voicing Batman and Mark Hamill voicing the Joker?[/QUOTE]

Yes. :D

It's a fantastic show. I would've jumped on the Big Lots sets, but I got the complete series box set as a birthday present for myself back in November.

Ugh I saw these posts of new stuff being stocked, so I made trip out there and they had less than what they had before.

All they had were Joey, OC, Dallas, Night Court, Dukes of Hazzard, the NBA History of the Lakers, and Pinky & The Brain.

I picked up today:

Appleseed ExMachina 2 disc Steelcase
Batman the Animated Series and Superman volume 1 bundle (only one)
IMAX Movie Collection

I really should head out to see if the New Haven Big Lots has any different sets. I would really like to find the Samuri Jack and Blade sets.

Picked up Batman Beyond season 2, dont think anyone mentioned this season yet...hopefully i'll run into the Superman TAS and Batman TAS

[quote name='doublej33']Picked up Batman Beyond season 2, dont think anyone mentioned this season yet...hopefully i'll run into the Superman TAS and Batman TAS[/QUOTE]
Cool! Glad to know it's out there... thank you. I have season 1, and thanks to the sale, 3.

Anyone know how many Dukes of Hazzard seasons they have? I got 5 & 6, but I saw someone mention 4. Didn't see that, but was also wondering in 1-3 are available (or 7 for that matter).

What about Dallas? Didn't see any around here.

If anyone can't find the new Hanna Barbera sets (like me) it's because they technically aren't supposed to be sold until 7/26 because they are in the 7/26 Big Lots ad. That's what people on the DVD Talk Forum are saying.

Went to Big Lots today, didn't even know about the new releases.

Picked up: War At Home $3 (they have a stack of them)
Saw: Popeye & Flintstones S3 (they had a full case, 10+ copies of each)

Oh, and umm...guys...is this the Looney Tunes collection everyone is talking about?
http://www.wherehouse.com/movies/sell-product-detail.jsp?id=2801499

With the brownbag 20% sale (ends 8/18ish), if you were to sell it to FYE...well...I'll let you do the math...

There's the Golden Collection (20 Discs) and the Spotlight Collection (10 discs). If it's really the Golden Collection, if you went with credit (+45%) you could get a 360 from 2 sets, $20. Holy Grail, indeed.

bread's done
Back