E3 Expo Consumer Tickets $249

Yo we get entire games for $48 w/gcu day 1 and we can trade them in and get some back. Why and/or how would/could you pay to get into a demo arcade?

lmao at this ticket price. starting a new job this week for $400/hour. E3 needs to pay me at least $150/hour for me to go.

I can say as someone who has attended just about every E3 since it essentially split off from CES that it has gotten worse and worse every year. The crowds and lines are just crazy and have been for a few years since they started allowing bloggers and on-line "press" to attend. Frankly, most publishers don't give out any swag at all anymore unless you get invited to a private meeting or event. If you like crowds, waiting in lines and not getting to play most of the really in demand games at all, then I suppose it's a "rewarding experience". I hate to be an old man about it, but E3 is definitely something that is not as fun as it once was and allowing another 15K of people on top of the 50K+ that already attend is only going to make it more crowded and encourage the few publishers that still attend to get even less generous with their swag. I'm just being honest as someone who lives in Los Angeles and who has attended many times before. I can't imagine paying to get in, let alone paying parking, hotel, airfare, etc...in a very expensive city like LA.
It does have the tendency to get pretty crowded but last year was almost empty compared to previous years. And even when the crowds are giant I've always been able to hit pretty much every game I want to in one or two days (given, I never wait in the Nintendo line since I have no desire, but sometimes you can just flirt with the Nintendo girl at the exit and she'll let you through without the line).

And I know it'll be harder for those buying tickets rather than folks who are in the industry, but if they tag along with an industry person, they can probably get into some awesome parties. Every year I hit up at least 3-4 parties per night. While you think these nerd parties would be pretty lame, the rooftop YouTube thing and Twitch's dance club can be pretty damn good.

lmao at this ticket price. starting a new job this week for $400/hour. E3 needs to pay me at least $150/hour for me to go.
Is this some sort of #humblebrag about how you make $400/hour? What sort of line of work you in, "Make $32K a Month With This One Weird Trick"?

Sooo... You pay $250 just to get a tiny GLIMPSE at the upcoming games??

So you just spent the same amount as buying ALL of said games...?

All so you can "interact with other gamers" in 3 hour lines?

Not sure what the appeal is here, since everything will be online...

Besides the fact that you get to play 5 minutes of something unreleased and probably broken...

Seems legit :wall:

Sooo... You pay $250 just to get a tiny GLIMPSE at the upcoming games??

So you just spent the same amount as buying ALL of said games...?

All so you can "interact with other gamers" in 3 hour lines?

Not sure what the appeal is here, since everything will be online...

Besides the fact that you get to play 5 minutes of something unreleased and probably broken...

Seems legit :wall:
"Interact with TRU gamers*" in 3 hour lines filled with:

"Bro did you play the new Assassins Creed"
"Ya bro"
"Bro the series use to be way better bro"
"Bro I know"

"Bro Fallout 4 sucked"
"Dude, bro, right?"

"Bro the Switch is LAME"
"Bro seriously Nintendo needs to go third party"
"Bro we're so smart and Nintendo is so dumb"

Agree with the comments about it being overpriced. Cool as a "bucket list" thing, but you will probably be disapointed. Even going as a Nintendo guest with backstage access back before the Wii U was released it was hard to recommend given the costs if you don't live in the area (although the Wii U demos were all pretty cool, and collecting the Nintendo Land pins was a lot of fun).

If you have never been, and always wanted to go, by all means go, but if you could go to, say, PAX instead for the same cost, you should probably do that instead. E3 is definitely not meant for consumers.

"Interact with TRU gamers*" in 3 hour lines filled with:

"Bro did you play the new Assassins Creed"
"Ya bro"
"Bro the series use to be way better bro"
"Bro I know"

"Bro Fallout 4 sucked"
"Dude, bro, right?"

"Bro the Switch is LAME"
"Bro seriously Nintendo needs to go third party"
"Bro we're so smart and Nintendo is so dumb"
This merits a hearty chuckle :bouncy:

Everyone who bought these got conned, and this will likely be the worst e3 in years because of it.

Shit was unmanageable already unless you set up appointments for behind closed doors demos already, and now it'll be even worse.

But I guess you can wait 4 hours in line to play a game that'll be out in a couple of months for like 10 minutes.

My first E3 was 2015 and it was an eye-opener for me: it didn't live up to any notions I had. Have fun wondering the floor aimlessly with little to play. The big games get lines that take 4 to 5 hours to play and unless you have a press badge everyone in the booths will treat you like a second-class citizen.

The "swag begging" was bad (and embarassing) enough as it is with "industry people" - it's going to be awful with 15,000 members of the public added to the mix. I watched an old lady get tackled over a Destiny T-Shirt and the idiot who threw her to the ground celebrated as he walked away with his shirt. Most devs and publishers don't even give away swag anymore because they know it'll just wind up on eBay.

I'm sitting E3 out this year. I think most people will be severely disappointed with their ticket purchases in the end. Just to confirm what others have said: you will not be able to get into the Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony pressers. There are also no panels because this isn't PAX, it's still an industry trade show that just happens to be open to the public. There is fun to be had, but it likely won't live up to any lofty expectations.

E3 sure is becoming desperate as publishers pull away and do their own thing. Wonder if it will die again soon. . .

Picked up a ticket as it is my plan to drive up through California this summer (teacher with summer off).  I went in 2004 on Sony's dime (E3 contest winner).  I went back in 2010 (they kept sending me sign up opportunities even though I am a public school teacher).  The ticket cost $400 (felt bad spending that much) and I know it had gone up to $700 in the past couple of years.  Personally I had an absolute blast both times.  I live in Central Florida so maybe I'm used to navigating crowds?  It sounds like it's got a bit crazy but there is always so much to see that isn't the AAA 3 hour wait.  However, I must see Nintendo's booth so that could be problematic. 

When E3 took away the booth babes - it all went down hill.
I got to go twice and the babes added nothing for me. I found them annoying with their forced and fake attempts to lure me in with boobs. Was funny to see all the guys who went to them like sailors drawn to a sirens song.

I was with Activision when I went in Atlanta 2 times and it sucked. Second time in LA tecmo gave me a pass and it was better. But after 3 times it was enough. I got bored though after the 2nd day. It was fun at first but ultimately if I stayed home I'd have learned everything online I saw, could have downloaded demos of games I wanted to try and so on. And I collected a ton of swag but ended up throwing away everything but like some nice pens and a shirt or two.

Only cool things was getting to play the Duke nukem on the unreal engine that never came out, having Gabe standing there talking about team fortress and showing me stuff, playing thrill kill with some other people, meeting Bruce Campbell at a evil dead booth, and getting to have a drink with Clive barker I met at some fire house turned into a bar in LA one night randomly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine the lines for this event. PAX is already bad enough, I imagine you have to wait like 5 hours to play Zelda at E3.
You ain't seen nothing. If you attended E3 in 2005/6, these tickets look small. E3 used to be extremely crowded.

I should know because I DID attend E3 in 2005, 2006, 2009. I plan to go back if the $249 tickets are still available in April.
Agree with the comments about it being overpriced. Cool as a "bucket list" thing, but you will probably be disapointed. Even going as a Nintendo guest with backstage access back before the Wii U was released it was hard to recommend given the costs if you don't live in the area (although the Wii U demos were all pretty cool, and collecting the Nintendo Land pins was a lot of fun).

If you have never been, and always wanted to go, by all means go, but if you could go to, say, PAX instead for the same cost, you should probably do that instead. E3 is definitely not meant for consumers.
You think $149/$249 is overpriced? LMFAO. In 2015/6, E3 tickets were $1,000(ish) a pop. GDC tickets are usually in the thousands for each type of ticket.

As someone who attended GDC last year, my ticket cost $300 and had access to a majority of presentations so this is plain false.
I don't appreciate being called a liar, so here's what I'll do... I'll post a picture and you can apologize.

[attachment=25743:GDC2017Prices.png]

Its right here, so you can see what it gets you and what not.

I don't appreciate being called a liar, so here's what I'll do... I'll post a picture and you can apologize.

attachicon.gif
GDC2017Prices.png

Its right here, so you can see what it gets you and what not.
Your statement was a misrepresentation of how much a normal ticket costs for the show. For any normal person, the Indie ticket is more than enough. The tickets in the thousand and up range are quite frankly a rip-off and should never be paid for. My GF had all access as a member of the press and paid nothing. I honestly feel that those tickets are not meant for general public and simply exist for either those outside the industry that are curious (and can afford to drop that kind of money) or those in the industry that have their tickets waived.

I stand by my statement that tickets for the general public do not cost thousands.

It would be an awesome experience, but how I'd manage to attend with the other stuff going on life wise makes a trip unlikely!

Your statement was a misrepresentation of how much a normal ticket costs for the show. For any normal person, the Indie ticket is more than enough. The tickets in the thousand and up range are quite frankly a rip-off and should never be paid for. My GF had all access as a member of the press and paid nothing. I honestly feel that those tickets are not meant for general public and simply exist for either those outside the industry that are curious (and can afford to drop that kind of money) or those in the industry that have their tickets waived.

I stand by my statement that tickets for the general public do not cost thousands.
AND I stand by MY statement that "If you think $256 is expensive, you ain't seen nothing yet." I never said that the general public tickets costs thousands, I said "You think $149/$249 is overpriced? LMFAO. In 2015/6, E3 tickets were $1,000(ish) a pop. GDC tickets are usually in the thousands for each type of ticket." And the image proved you wrong in that regard. GDC is not entirely indie, it's also attended by industry leaders, too. Kojima, Nintendo, Sony, Epic, Gearbox, and so on and on. So, these other tickets are probably for those. For another example, GamesBeat has their own events for each vertical in the industry: GamesBeat Summit, MobileBeat Summit, and so on. And I'm not even kidding here; it's still going to be in the thousands to get in. See for yourself here. E3 even experimented with this a few times, including 2012, where they priced their tickets at $995 each ticket.

[attachment=25820:E32012Prices.png]

bread's done
Back