EA PC Game Halloween Sale: 50% off - Battlefield BC2 $15, Dead Space $10, ME 2 $10

Just to double check... EA downloader does or does not have a limit to the amount of times I can download, and is that for as long as the service exists?

Also, does BC2 auto-update or would Steam have an edge there?

[quote name='PaperOtter']Just to double check... EA downloader does or does not have a limit to the amount of times I can download, and is that for as long as the service exists?[/QUOTE]

There have been some different reports about this. On one hand, the EA site used to say there's a 1 year download limit. This is no longer there.

On the other hand, no one has ever said "After one year, I can't download my games." I've also heard people say, "It's been more than one year after I purchased my game and I can still re-download my game."

not really solid either way, so it's up to you to decide whether or not you think it's high risk or not. I've used the EA downloader before, it's not been a year yet since my oldest purchase, so I can't say whether or not there's a limit.

tldr i dunno

[quote name='NeoGutsman']is it worth getting the vanilla Mass Effect 2 (PC) game versus the Digital Deluxe version? Or is the DD version discounted often enough for me to just wait for a sale on that?[/QUOTE]

The Collector's assault rifle and the Incisor sniper rifle are two great weapons if you are using a class that will allow you to use those weapons, especially on the higher difficulty levels. There are some weapons available in DLC's that will be just as good if you buy them though.

I can't say it's worth a $30 difference as even if you want the full ME 2 soundtrack (including the two separate additions they've released in the last 2 months) you could get those as digital downloads on Amazon for about $15. The bonus video content SUCKS compared to Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins. The full 4-issue comic series has been on sale before on ITunes and the first issue was even free at one point.

Just get the standard digital edition.

[quote name='PaperOtter']does BC2 auto-update or would Steam have an edge there?[/QUOTE]

It uses a launcher, like most non-steam games, to check for updates when you open it. So yes it auto updates, but not as conveniently as steam that will update before you want to play.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The Collector's assault rifle and the Incisor sniper rifle are two great weapons if you are using a class that will allow you to use those weapons, especially on the higher difficulty levels. There are some weapons available in DLC's that will be just as good if you buy them though.

I can't say it's worth a $30 difference as even if you want the full ME 2 soundtrack (including the two separate additions they've released in the last 2 months) you could get those as digital downloads on Amazon for about $15. The bonus video content SUCKS compared to Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins. The full 4-issue comic series has been on sale before on ITunes and the first issue was even free at one point.

Just get the standard digital edition.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more vehemently. The extra content is nice, and I've seen the digital CE on sale through several venues (Impulse, Gamersgate, I believe) for $20. That's only $10 more than this sale price. If you haven't picked up a copy yet, I'd wait for another sale.

So, how does this work w/ EA Download Store?

Do they give you say an installer EXE + some BIN files and/or any other necessary files - and then you can back it up the installer files to disc yourself wherever (to disc, another HDD, whatever) - like say a GOG might do?

Do they supply you a ZIP File w/ everything to download and then you can back it up to disc?

Does it act like G4WL where you download the installer file + all needed files and must back it up somewhere else before you install it - b/c installing it destroys your installer files?

[quote name='MysterD']So, how does this work w/ EA Download Store?

Do they give you say an installer EXE + some BIN files and/or any other necessary files - and then you can back it up the installer files to disc yourself wherever (to disc, another HDD, whatever) - like say a GOG might do?

Do they supply you a ZIP File w/ everything to download and then you can back it up to disc?

Does it act like G4WL where you download the installer file + all needed files and must back it up somewhere else before you install it - b/c installing it destroys your installer files?[/QUOTE]

I've only bought from it once, but as I recall, you put a code in your EA Download Manager and it downloads an install file. You should be able to back this up to the medium of your choice.

[quote name='warreni']I've only bought from it once, but as I recall, you put a code in your EA Download Manager and it downloads an install file. You should be able to back this up to the medium of your choice.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, man.

EDIT:
I just ran EA Download Manager.
Yeah, there's setting to let it keep installer files after you install a game, if you like.
Very cool.

G4WL - take note of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
any DRM i should know about if i want ME2 on PC (as digital download)?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='warreni']I couldn't disagree more vehemently. The extra content is nice, and I've seen the digital CE on sale through several venues (Impulse, Gamersgate, I believe) for $20. That's only $10 more than this sale price. If you haven't picked up a copy yet, I'd wait for another sale.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your opinions, both of you. I think I'll wait for a $20 deal for the CE then.

I ordered Bad Company 2 PC from EA Download.
I had a birthday coupon for 25% off - so it stacked w/ this Halloween deal.
Got it for $11 and some change. :)

I had problems even paying for this. I had to call EA Support, and to EA Tech Support, here is the reason why my order failed:

I ALWAYS had problems with Digital River. Since EA uses Digital River for their ordering system, Digital River is the problem here. Even I tried to pay via Paypal, and still "Payment Authorization Failed". There is no way a Paypal Payment can really fail, unless Paypal can't process the transaction, it is on Digital River's side that is making my order fail. Here is one example of Digital River Fail: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=408651268400

I did get the game, finally, after calling EA Tech Support...

bread's done
Back