EA to buy BioWare/Pandemic

[quote name='Achilles']EA's gonna take over the world soon[/QUOTE]

yeah, because the video games industry has such a far reach.............. Get some fucking perspective.

[quote name='daroga']Sonic was a reaction to Super Mario Bros. a little bit of time before Sonic Adventure 2. Like 10 years.

And jer, Frisky's list there was not to say how unique their gameplay was. It was a reaction to someone saying that EA only made sequels, thus the point was that there are several new IPs. Debating whether they were new genres or not was never on the table. You're setting up strawmen here. :)[/quote]
Exactly. They've started a new initiative to work on new IPs and those are six that show that they're at least giving it a shot. Hell, skate's a refreshing take on the skateboarding genre compared to Tony Hawk, which is nice to see.

NHL08 is very good (and for the first time, pwned NHL2k series) and FIFA is actually decent this year.

EA makes good games now, but it's always disturbing seeing quality developers get absorbed by EA.

[quote name='Zoglog']
img052.jpg

Still says Pandemic Studios, not EA. You guys are going nuts over nothing. And the current Bioware offices are shit, so change will do them good.

And if you do want to blame someone, go blame Bono. Assuming the Devs didn't want to, it was Elevation Partners that probably pushed deal.[/QUOTE]

Bono didn't break the record. He IS the record.

[quote name='Zoglog']yeah, because the video games industry has such a far reach.............. Get some fucking perspective.[/QUOTE]
First you get the money, then you get the games, and then you get the world chico... and everything in it.

[quote name='Gnomes and Pie']Well now that EA will be milking BioWare for all it is worth, I guess we will definitely be seeing a Baldur's Gate III. I hope that's a good thing. :/[/quote]

[quote name='mrelusive']... so I guess my hopes and dreams of BioWare making another Baldur's Gate game are shattered?[/quote]

That's the problem with all you EA haters. You have no idea what they're going to do or if this will be a good or bad thing. You automatically assume and speculate that it will be bad. Time to hit the tinfoil hat store.

I, for one, welcome our new Electronic Arts overlords.

[quote name='Kosh']That's the problem with all you EA haters. You have no idea what they're going to do or if this will be a good or bad thing. You automatically assume and speculate that it will be bad. Time to hit the tinfoil hat store.[/QUOTE]

Haven't you read the thread? We've GIVEN reasons this is going to be terrible. We're going by history. They've destroyed almost all the developers they've bought.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Haven't you read the thread? We've GIVEN reasons this is going to be terrible. We're going by history. They've destroyed almost all the developers they've bought.[/quote]

Didn't you see the quotes I put up. One guy thinks it's bad because they might make a new Baldur's Gate, the other guy thinks it's bad because they might not make a new Baldur's Gate.

My whole point is that, none of you can predict the future. No matter what EA does it's going to be based off each persons perception of what they want out of it. Yet, none of you have a single clue of what's going to happen.

[quote name='Kosh']You have no idea what they're going to do or if this will be a good or bad thing. You automatically assume and speculate that it will be bad. [/QUOTE]
Well, EA purchased and destroyed Origin, Bullfrog and Westwood. They're not doing so good with Mythic. Do you have any examples of a small studio purchased by EA who put out better games afterwards?

[quote name='Damian']Well, EA purchased and destroyed Origin, Bullfrog and Westwood. They're not doing so good with Mythic. Do you have any examples of a small studio purchased by EA who put out better games afterwards?[/QUOTE]

Criterion (Burnout)

[quote name='Apossum']Criterion (Burnout)[/QUOTE]
Hmm, Burnout Revenge was probably the best of the series and it was post-purchase so that qualifies. EA recently consolidated all of its UK offices, including the old Criterion Games, into a single UK studio so we'll see how Black 2 or the next Burnout is now that Criterion is no longer an entity.

Also, the guys who made Guitar Hero.

Rock Band may not be as good (which is understandable since this is their first shot at a full band game) but it'll at least be a solid game that'll probably get better each year.

[quote name='Apossum']Also, the guys who made Guitar Hero. [/QUOTE]
Harmonix? They were bought by MTV/Viacom, not EA. EA is only the distributor. If you mean Red Octane, they were bought by Activision.

I did think of another sort-of-exception; Maxis. They've been assimilated very, very slowly though. EA seems to be allowing Wil Wright to do his own thing as long as he hands over the cash cows like The Sims.

[quote name='Damian']Hmm, Burnout Revenge was probably the best of the series and it was post-purchase so that qualifies. EA recently consolidated all of its UK offices, including the old Criterion Games, into a single UK studio so we'll see how Black 2 or the next Burnout is now that Criterion is no longer an entity.[/quote]
Really? They seem to be just fine on their podcast, Crash FM, as they have some independence. And they loved the EA backing for Burnout 3 just for EA Trax.

I remember reading somewhere that EA's going to let Bioware and Pandemic work pretty much the same way they've been doing it before the acquisition.

[quote name='Damian']Harmonix? They were bought by MTV/Viacom, not EA. EA is only the distributor. If you mean Red Octane, they were bought by Activision.

I did think of another sort-of-exception; Maxis. They've been assimilated very, very slowly though. EA seems to be allowing Wil Wright to do his own thing as long as he hands over the cash cows like The Sims.[/QUOTE]

Maxis is probably the only legitimate exception when I really think about it. I was allowing "Criterion", but the truth is they haven't been owned by EA all that long, and most of these companies they destroy are sucked away slowly-they still release good stuff after being eaten.

And I think the only reason the same thing didn't happen to Maxis was because The Sims became a freakishly huge hit-like one of the best selling games ever. If that hadn't happened, I doubt we'd be seeing Spore (if we do), and I think the whole thing would have just been consumed, aside from an odd "Sim City" game being thrown out (by a completely different team, with just the license being used).

I can't believe people are claiming this is random "EA bashing" or whatever. We've got 15 years of history, and only one (or maybe two) exceptions to the rule, and in one case there's a very clear reason why it wouldn't have been wrecked.

bread's done
Back