EA to buy BioWare/Pandemic

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Yikes.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071011/20071011006083.html?.v=1 (from GAF)

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS - News) today announced an agreement with Elevation Partners to acquire VG Holding Corp. -- the owner of both BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios. This acquisition gives EA a strong competitive position in key genres in interactive entertainment: action, adventure and role-playing games. The two studios have been recognized for creating some of the highest-quality games in the industry.

In related news employees of both BioWare Corp. and Pandemic Studios started looking for new jobs.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Who owns the rights to Mass Effect?

Edit: Trademark search says Bioware. Could we see a PS3 version?[/QUOTE]

Starting with "Mass Effect 09." But it will only run at 30FPS.

;)

[quote name='mykevermin']Starting with "Mass Effect 09." But it will only run at 30FPS.

;)[/QUOTE]
EA promises it'll be fixed by Mass Effect '10 though, you know after they've had enough time to work with the hardware.

This fucking blows ass.

Well only good thing to come out of this is possible Mass Effect for PS3. Whether Mana Knight wants to admit it or not, it could be the best RPG released this year... and not be on a Sony system.

Just like Jade Empire and KOTOR 1 were (KOTOR 2 was great, but wasn't RPG of the year for sure).

I have to say I'm shocked. Whenever the guys at Bioware talk, they always seem to really enjoy being a small(ish) studio.

Waitaminute, didn't MS have publishing rights for Mass Effect?

[quote name='Surferflames']I have to say I'm shocked. Whenever the guys at Bioware talk, they always seem to really enjoy being a small(ish) studio.[/QUOTE]

$$$

Im not gonna buy any more EA games. fuck EA fuck the bastards thinking they can just buy everything. All EA makes is recycled garbage anymore.

October 07-EA Purchases Bioware

December 07-Mass Effect is released, joy falls upon the world

January 07- EA announces BioWare to be assigned the Medal of Honor franchise now and forever, gamers groan the world around.

There is too much EA hate on this board. I for one am glad to see EA pick up Bioware. That means that Bioware can get back to making PC games and more people can experience their games since they will more likely than not be multiplatform.

Also the whole assumption that EA makes shit is so stupid. EA makes a ton of great games.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']This fucking blows ass.

Well only good thing to come out of this is possible Mass Effect for PS3. Whether Mana Knight wants to admit it or not, it could be the best RPG released this year... and not be on a Sony system.

Just like Jade Empire and KOTOR 1 were (KOTOR 2 was great, but wasn't RPG of the year for sure).[/quote]

No offense, but what GREAT Rpg's have their been this year? I think the winner will be Odin Sphere. :)

Either way, this does suck, I hate EA and they will ruin these two companies.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180818.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0
In return for paying a princely sum, EA becomes the owner of both BioWare's and Pandemic's original properties. Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age are among BioWare's original IP, which does not include such licensed hits as the Dungeons and Dragons-based Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, or the DS Sonic RPG. BioWare is also working on an unnamed massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Pandemic is best known for the Full Spectrum Warrior and Mercenaries series, as well as the THQ-owned Destroy All Humans! and LucasArts-owned Star Wars: Battlefront franchises.

NOt only does EA get Mass Effect, they also get the PSP exclusive Battlefront (well, the last one anyways)

[quote name='CaseyRyback']There is too much EA hate on this board. I for one am glad to see EA pick up Bioware. That means that Bioware can get back to making PC games and more people can experience their games since they will more likely than not be multiplatform.

Also the whole assumption that EA makes shit is so stupid. EA makes a ton of great games.[/quote]Since when does EA support native PC games? Ports of console games, sure, but why the assumption that their going with EA automatically means they'll be making game for the PC?

And nothing like going multiplatform to take a company who could typically get pretty impressive results out of a focused platform and turn their products into watered-down meh.

Under EA rule Bioware will have stricter deadlines, looser quality control, and more EA Trax. It happens to almost every developer that they gobble up. I don't see EA taking the kind of time Bioware usually does to make AAA titles with excellent writing and themes that challenge the player.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']There is too much EA hate on this board. I for one am glad to see EA pick up Bioware. That means that Bioware can get back to making PC games and more people can experience their games since they will more likely than not be multiplatform.

Also the whole assumption that EA makes shit is so stupid. EA makes a ton of great games.[/quote]

I just find it odd no one bitches and moans at the companies that sell their souls to EA. It's a two way street. EA can't buy unless someone wants to sell.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I just find it odd no one bitches and moans at the companies that sell their souls to EA. It's a two way street. EA can't buy unless someone wants to sell.[/quote]

Well, in the case of Ubisoft, they really didn't have a choice, EA bought their public stock, and in the case of this, doesn't sound like bioware and Pandamic (the actual studios) had much choice either.

[quote name='jer7583']Under EA rule Bioware will have stricter deadlines, looser quality control, and more EA Trax. It happens to almost every developer that they gobble up. I don't see EA taking the kind of time Bioware usually does to make AAA titles with excellent writing and themes that challenge the player.[/quote]

exactly. with EA, it's "hey it's ok, we can release this game half-assed. we can just make the consumers download every patch that we could have packaged with game so over a few months/years, they'll be able to play what they originally wanted."

fuck EA

I work near Pandemic in westwood. They have some nice office buildings. Interestingly enough their office building looks just like EA's anyway so it's all the same :)

[quote name='daroga']Since when does EA support native PC games? Ports of console games, sure, but why the assumption that their going with EA automatically means they'll be making game for the PC?

And nothing like going multiplatform to take a company who could typically get pretty impressive results out of a focused platform and turn their products into watered-down meh.[/QUOTE]

EA makes a ton of PC games and are one of the biggest supporters of the PC market. Battlefield, C&C, MoH, Simcity, the Sims, etc.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']EA makes a ton of PC games and are one of the biggest supporters of the PC market. Battlefield, C&C, MoH, Simcity, the Sims, etc.[/quote]

and you proved daroga's point exactly. how many of those weren't focused on just the pc? how many went to consoles as well?

I think the answer is all of them.

People hate on EA for no reason other than them being a huge company. Same crap happens to Microsoft and it's just plain stupid.

If you don't like EA games, don't buy them. For the most part they're just a publisher anyway. Otherwise STFU and quit your whining

[quote name='Zoglog']People hate on EA for no reason other than them being a huge company. Same crap happens to Microsoft and it's just plain stupid.

If you don't like EA games, don't buy them. For the most part they're just a publisher anyway. Otherwise STFU and quit your whining[/quote]The publisher controls the purse-strings. There's no such thing as being "just a publisher." They can help or hinder the development mightily. In EA's case, they've historically been viewed as being one who hinders the quality in an effort to release a yearly product.

But people can't have an opinion, can they? Nor can they talk about. Did ya ever consider that your "shut up and think like me" stuff is just as annoying to the rest of us and we are to you?

[quote name='Zoglog']People hate on EA for no reason other than them being a huge company. Same crap happens to Microsoft and it's just plain stupid.

If you don't like EA games, don't buy them. For the most part they're just a publisher anyway. Otherwise STFU and quit your whining[/QUOTE]

People hate on EA because they are a shit company. Everything they touch turns to shit.

I don't buy anything from them.

You should take your own advice with the whole STFU thing.

Jeez people, it's not doomsday yet. :roll:

Criterion survived the transition, hopefully they'll show Bioware the same respect.

and if they don't, then fudge 'em.

So no one here is buying The Orange Box (published by EA)? They're a publisher, they may affect some of their games negatively but they still publish some great games.

No one likes any of these EA published games either?

Freedom Fighters
007: Everything or Nothing
Burnout Series (Since 3)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Freedom Fighters
Timesplitters: Future Perfect
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

It's funny... I've been saying how much I hate them, this happens, and everyone joins in. This is only the beginning people.

EA makes good games, EA makes bad games, just like everyone else. This is nothing more than "whine whine whine emo waahh fallout boy is mainstream now waaah"

[quote name='PenguinMaster']So no one here is buying The Orange Box (published by EA)? They're a publisher, they may affect some of their games negatively but they still publish some great games.

No one likes any of these EA published games either?

Freedom Fighters
007: Everything or Nothing
Burnout Series (Since 3)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Freedom Fighters
Timesplitters: Future Perfect
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath[/quote]Criterion (and Maxis) seems to be an exception to the rule. But that's the only game or series in your list that was appealing at all to me.

Valve isn't a real great example as they've not been swallowed up by EA. They're just partners.

Yet, your point is valid. Not everything EA touches is automatically crap. But there's always well-justified fear when a talented, small, independent developer get devoured by a giant corporation like this.

LMAO!

eaxw3.jpg

:lol:

but yeah, it's only 2 points, and it's not like they just bought nintendo.

[quote name='daroga']That graph is pretty misleading. It only has 2.0 points on it total.[/QUOTE]

Definitely true, it looks like a huge drop but is actually only a 2% drop.

bread's done
Back