Earth Defense Force 2017 - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='refusedchaos']just got 1000/1000...man that was long and hard.....hehehehe[/QUOTE]
What the Hell is wrong with you?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I was playing co-op. Me and my little sis, didn't see the big deal. We turned it off after level 5. Its back in the mail on its way to Gamesn'flix.com[/quote]

You really don't give a game a chance, do you? I didn't start enjoying it until level seven or eight.

[quote name='Scorch']You really don't give a game a chance, do you? I didn't start enjoying it until level seven or eight.[/QUOTE]
Or, maybe, he just didn't like it..?

[quote name='paz9x']
does anybody know if you have to beat it on every level to get the 100% weapon achievement?[/QUOTE]
yup, new weapons are added every difficulty level, Inferno of course has the best weapons

[quote name='Brak']What the Hell is wrong with you?[/QUOTE]
hehe what? all it said was it was a long and hard time to get 1000/1000 :D

to get the 100% weapons, do you have to beat it on easy too though?
hardest is pretty rough when you get to the 40's

My sister and I played the heck out of this game when I rented it. Absolutely loved it, just wish there was online coop, would have made it a must buy for me.

[quote name='Sinistar']wow that's a great deal. :)[/QUOTE]

$14.99 used , and the guy let me get one of the perfect condition rental copies , after discovering the 2 used were in pretty shabby shape .

I was just looking over the Xbox Live CAG leaderboards and I was surprised to see so many people have EDF2017 in their 5 most reciently played games. I guess since it can be bought for $20 it should be a no brainer for CAGs.

From the stats on mygamercard.net it is the next to lowest played game on my game list (behind Lost Via Domus) with EDF2017 only being played by 62,148. That's even less than any of the arcade games I have.

I bought the game when if first released, but have just recently been playing it like crazy. It's just so "pop and play". No deep story to follow, simple controls and just plain fun. I actually broke down and bought EDF part 1 & 2 for the PS2 from play-asia. It's hard to go back to PS2 graphics, and there is no squadmate to keep me amused, but the games are still pretty fun.

I heard a rumor that Sandlot is working on another EDF game, but it's such a small, under the radar type game, it's hard to get any news on it.

So what does everyone else think of the game? EDF! EDF! EDF!

I've been hearing a lot about it here on Cag and have had the urge to pick it up, well I'll have a look and see if I have time today to pick it up.

It was a hit with me and my family. I picked it up real cheap and it's a blast. To me it's a real party game. A lot better than many of the craptastic dedicated party games that are out there.

I take out the game anytime I have a few minutes to play and just want some mindless fun. Plus, it gets addictive running through harder levels always looking for more weapon drops to have something new to play with.

I definately don't regret getting it even at $29.99 which it was when I bought it.

I've probably said it before, but it bears repeating - if you don't have this, buy it. It's plain fun, and with all of the boring me-too stuff on the shelves, that's saying something.

I find it interesting that this game appears to have had a ressurrgence in its popularity. I guess the $20 price drpo was the best thing that could have happened to the game.

But yes any 360 owner who isn't a douchebag needs to pick this up.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']But yes any 360 owner who isn't a douchebag needs to pick this up.[/QUOTE]

Early nominee for Quote Of The Year.

/bump

Damn the naysayers, this just might be the best game ever made, and the low-budget production and laughable physics only add to the B-movie charm. I couldn't help but smile when my comrades start shouting "EDF! EDF!" for no reason. :)

[quote name='Allnatural']/bump

Damn the naysayers, this just might be the best game ever made, and the low-budget production and laughable physics only add to the B-movie charm. I couldn't help but smile when my comrades start shouting "EDF! EDF!" for no reason. :)[/QUOTE]

That's what they say shortly before I blast then with my rocket lounger. Those bastards are always killing the last few bugs while I'm trying to get the power ups. :bomb:

Just picked it up for $10 at TRU because of you guys and I love it! The game is so cheesy that it makes me laugh in a good way. Blasting the 50 story tower with a rocket and watching it crumble made me die laughing.

Wow how did I sleep on this crazy gem for so long? I just picked it up thanks for the EDF/Samurai Warriors 2 2-pack from Amazon and I can't believe I never picked this game up. This is insane, crazy fun all the way through.

If achievements would have been stackable for difficulties, i would have kept this, but having to play through each diff. killed it for me.

The game would be pretty much impossible to beat if you did Inferno from the start. Unless you find enjoyment in hammering nails in your genitals

Yeah, the point of the game is to play thru each difficulty and build up your health and weapons since it carries over to each play thru. I've played thru the first two difficulties. I'm not sure if I'll ever do more, but I'm going to hang on to the game.

But i shouldn't have to play through on the two lowest difficulties...simple as that. Not to mention the game only has local co-op.

[quote name='SynGamer']But i shouldn't have to play through on the two lowest difficulties...simple as that. Not to mention the game only has local co-op.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean 'you shouldn't'? It was a design decision. You may not like it, but it isn't wrong.

EDF is not fun IF you believe it to be something that has to be played Rigidly. But the point of the game is that it's freeform.

Want to get some armor increases and pick up some simple weapons? Time to run a stage in easy. Want to actually have to work together with a partner, and plan things like setting up remote gun walls? Inferno!! Wanna have a chance to find a powered weapon, while not being TOO challenged? Go towards medium diffculties.

My little brother and I went through this game SO naturally as we played it. Beating all the stages was never a chore because of number, we found ourselves beating most of them just because we loved the game.

And each difficulty gives you a new wep when you complete it. The final gun was SO worth it. Going to the stage "Crimson" and taking out a swatch of those guys with one shot.... -drool-

This game still makes me smile whenever I think of it, even though it was one of my first 360 games. Heck, when I saw Fable 2's Co-Op, my thoughts on it where "Well, it's no EDF!" How did this small game manage such fun, freeing co-op, when sooooo many commericial juggernauts fail at it so hard?

STORM 1! Promise you'll defend the earth for me!
EDF~! E~D~FFFF!

[quote name='SynGamer']But i shouldn't have to play through on the two lowest difficulties...simple as that. Not to mention the game only has local co-op.[/QUOTE]

On behalf of Japan then I would like to apologize one of our games didnt support online co-op

[quote name='nnthomas']On behalf of Japan then I would like to apologize one of our games didnt support online co-op[/quote]
Apology accepted :p

It's not that I didn't like that game, I actually enjoyed it, even with all the technical failures going on around me. But i see achievements as something that can extend the life of a game in a FUN way...not tedious playing through the game a handful of times. There are plenty of games i'll jump into with a friend (online) on the hardest difficulty and have a blast because of the challenge. This game took both of those options away.

[quote name='Brak']I wouldn't call that "freeform".

I'd call that "boring".[/quote]

:applause: Then it's not for you! :whistle2:#

I started EDF thinking 2 players should just plow through it. And then I thought it would be best to hoard weapons. Then I figured It'd be better to go back to the start, and fight through the harder difficulties of early stages, to get some REALLY nice guns. I figured out I didn't have to play the game straight through, and that ANY way I played it had it's own rewards.

With those 2 weapons, and 2 characters, we came up with varied strategy and varied styles, such as:

Jumping around with Rocket launchers like a drunken astronaut...

Stopping hordes of enemies with weak, high rate of fire machine guns, only to blow away the clumps with rockets...

Same as previous, but replace machine guns with spread shotgun (That weapon was amazing!)

Defeating huge enemies by getting in point blank range, and shotting them into the stratosphere with a shotgun...

Making paths in the caves into safe zones by placing remote guns at both ends, and then enticing the enemy to attack with random rocket shots, until they dashed into our remotegun trap of death...

Sniping distanced hordes and then WATCHING as the enemies who where alerted to you suddenly came at you in a wave of destruction that most other games have yet to mimic...

Getting a friend to ride a helecopter to a high tower, and then snipe the enemy to him, so that they overtake the structure, and then blowing it up with bombs or rockets from far away, and wathcing as every enemy on the tower dies, as you friend pummels back down to earth, amist the green blood..

Each difficulty brought new strats, too. What was oncee able to be one-shotted now needed 3 shots. What could once be contained by 1 player with a max-damage wep now needed both players to control. Where once 1 player could bring down a ship before the hoard reached you, with their trusty sniper rifle, you now needed both players PERFECTLY shooting as early and as swiftly as you could, to accomplish the same result.

I also loved the strat of equiping 2 rifles with long reload times, and switching between them, between shots. This let you achieve a more continuous rate of fire, that at times, just seemed unfair.

REALLY, if having each stage in a game have multiple difficulties, which can change your approach to them ENTIRELY (basically making them NEW stages), seems -Boring-, then this just isn't the game for you!

I remember the first time you get to fight the Ant (Spider? I forget which) Queen. After that long mission, my little brother and I barely had any health left. Fellow EDF man screams "We've found the queen! She's E-NOR-MOUS!", and this had us so freaked out, we just shot rockets into her den. The NPCs charged in, and all we could hear where the sounds of spiders and ants dying, and see the stream of green goop she was shooting. We never even saw HER, it was just a ballet of explosions. When "Mission Clear!" popped up on screen, we let out loud "YEAH!!!"s, as we walk into the room, no sign of the slain ruler, trying desperately to collect the weapon and armor drops.

The only other Action/adventure co-op games this Gen that compared to the scale of EDF, FOR US so far has pretty much been RE5... and that's only in certain instances. Gears 2 tried, but I just don't find human-esque enemies anywhere near as interesting as something with it's our unique shape and abilities. King Spider with 100s of minions > Mutated Brumack or whatever it was... (And lets not even talk about the alien Mothership! Now THAT was an epic battle.)

[quote name='SynGamer']Apology accepted :p

It's not that I didn't like that game, I actually enjoyed it, even with all the technical failures going on around me. But i see achievements as something that can extend the life of a game in a FUN way...not tedious playing through the game a handful of times. There are plenty of games i'll jump into with a friend (online) on the hardest difficulty and have a blast because of the challenge. This game took both of those options away.[/quote]

For EDF, those achievements where just tagged on milestones to the REAL reasons you where beating the game: Weapon collecting! I'd hate the cheevos too, if that's all beating the difficulties added. EDF games rewarded you for beating difficulties back when they originated on PS2 I believe, so this is a case of "yay, you completed something that was ALWAYS a milestone in our series!!"

I think cheevos should always be 2nd place to games rewarding you IN GAME for what you do. That's something that achievements have made most developers FORGET about. Shouldn't an in game reward be reason enough to do something in game, and an achievement just be icing on the cake?

The biggest problem with EDF's achievements, is that Player 2 doesn't get them. That REALLY was a BAD, BAD oversight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch the last sentence sucked. I was going to play this through with a friend...but if only I'd get the achievements I should probably look for a different coop game >

[quote name='Spades22']Ouch the last sentence sucked. I was going to play this through with a friend...but if only I'd get the achievements I should probably look for a different coop game >

The thing is, its not the achievements that make the game worth playing, they sometimes make it worth not playing. If we both didn't get any achievements but the game was fun, then fine good times xD. But if it actually takes 90+ hours to get all the achievements, theres a kind of loss or imbalance of reward seeing another person getting achievements and pumping their fists at the 1K mark while the other person just tagged along. (Which could have been solved with achieves for BOTH PLAYYYERRS!!)

bread's done
Back