EA's new strategy for Strategy Guides for its games?

swetooth9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
i have noticed a trend (if you call 2 consecutive games a trend, i guess)..i bought nba street homecourt and traded for def jam icon, both very recent EA games to come out in the past month

in both games, you can choose characters (basketball players and rappers)...in both games, each character has a different combination of stats..whether it be shooting, dunking, stealing, etc. for nba street...or grab speed, strike speed, recovery time, etc. for def jam

however, in both games, the actual specific number/percentage of each category is not visible to you in the game...for example, if i go pick the chicago bulls in nba street in a pickup game..i look at the 4 available players to pick who i want...they don't have the stat breakdown for you to look at, they only tell you "strengths" and "weaknesses" for each character...not very detailed at all...only in homecourt challenge (the story mode) can you see the breakdown for each player if you recruit them (and you can't recruit everyone so you can't see the statistical breakdown for all characters)

same for def jam, you can't see the breakdown of stats for the characters either...you can't even see what fighting style each one has, you have to guess...

HOWEVER, i actually looked through the guides for both of these games and lo and behold...the stat breakdowns were in both guides...i got the stat numbers for each of the 9 or so stats for EVERY charcter in street, and the breakdown for each fighting style for def jam and for which rappers use which fighitng style...

this might be a new trend in new EA games (except for simulation sports games probably, where these types of things are kinda mandatory)...not giving enough info in the actual game but giving it in the game guides...i'm confident that EA meant to do this to get more guide sales...i'm still not getting them until their pennied out, but this is pretty low nonetheless...

I may be wrong, but EA dosen't see a profit from strategy guide sales... they may be in on this, but the real ones profiting are Brady / Prima / whoever.

yea, but they're probably gaining SOMETHING from doing this...or else why would they not include this info in the game...there has to be some kind of incentive for them..c'mon, it's EA :lol:

[quote name='swetooth9']yea, but they're probably gaining SOMETHING from doing this...or else why would they not include this info in the game...there has to be some kind of incentive for them..c'mon, it's EA :lol:[/quote]

They probably took it out so they can put it back in next year and claim it as a "new feature" ;)

Or they might be trying to simplify there games so that it's more accessible and people don't worry about who's the best dude to use. Maybe it's oversimplifying it, but they want their games to appeal to the people who barely play games, so I don't think that they're doing this just to sell more guides.

I don't understand buying EA games filled with rappers and spoiled NBA stars.

Or non-RPG strategy guides.

[quote name='jer7583']I don't understand buying EA games filled with rappers and spoiled NBA stars.

Or non-RPG strategy guides.[/quote]
I agree on the rapper part, but I like the NBA Stars and Street is actually a fun series.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Bleh. it's no big deal because it'll end up on some forum or GameFAQs. Move on people.[/quote]

well so far, that's not been the case for either game, or else i wouldn't be complaining...

and hey, different people different tastes...nba stars and rappers appeal to lots of people who buy games...whatever sells..EA's on top of it

But if EA guides are selling well than EA will can more money when they renew their contract with the guide maker.

bread's done
Back