Eb game days - April 05 - May 02

JnJosh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
This years "Game days" sales (remember those 9.89 games?) is running a bit early this year, hopefully a lot of stuff to come, flyer scans will be up on the 3rd, but I am willing to send them for a few good men, regulars only via PM. The rest of you can wait a few days, :)

just be a bit patient with the PMing, i will get back to you guys asap!

join the group! http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...hp?groupid=190

Flyer is now live, my crappy scans are no longer needed!

http://ebgames.ca/fsi.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the AC/DC Track Pack (Thunderstruck!!!!), Mass Effect and Mirror's Edge. Will be passing by EB as much as possible to check for any deals.

picked up The World Ends With You for 14.99 used, Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword 14.99, anyone know if Chrono trigger on sale though?

Picked up Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Too Human, and Bourne. Completely forgot to get the AC/DC track pack!

TWEWY is only $15 used? Nice, I'm pleased I've been passing on their gutted $25 new ones. I figured if I wanted an open one I should save $5 and find a used one :)

[quote name='ragnar14']TWEWY is only $15 used? Nice, I'm pleased I've been passing on their gutted $25 new ones. I figured if I wanted an open one I should save $5 and find a used one :)[/QUOTE]

How do you know if it's gutted?

I'm sure when you ask the EB clerks for a new game and they open up the "drawer of lost souls", you figure they've gutted the copy. Has anyone ever bitched about getting the used price for a gutted copy? Since obviously it is no longer new...

[quote name='game_fanatic']I'm sure when you ask the EB clerks for a new game and they open up the "drawer of lost souls", you figure they've gutted the copy. Has anyone ever bitched about getting the used price for a gutted copy? Since obviously it is no longer new...[/QUOTE]

I got Too Human that way and its going straight back to them!!!

It's not worth the hassle for Too Human (or any $10 deals). A used one is $9, new is $10. At that rate paying an extra dollar for a near-mint copy is reasonable.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Has anyone ever bitched about getting the used price for a gutted copy? Since obviously it is no longer new...[/quote]

I've never tried, but I'm sure they get that all the time. I refuse gutted games on a regular basis (at least 1 or 2 times a month), and they always jump into a really defensive argument mode. When I'm not being rude or arguing, I'm just politely saying I don't want it...

When I was getting the AC/DC disk, the guy didn't include the manual, even though I saw it. I asked if he could put it in, he said he didn't have it. Then I said I saw it right there and he was like "oh shit!"

I don't mind gutted on the shelves, just as long as I get everything that was supposed to come with the game at the cash register. No way I'm gonna buy a new game without a manual. You can't even use the excuse it comes with no manual because it's new!

[quote name='thegamecubist']When I was getting the AC/DC disk, the guy didn't include the manual, even though I saw it. I asked if he could put it in, he said he didn't have it. Then I said I saw it right there and he was like "oh shit!"

I don't mind gutted, just as long as I get everything that was supposed to come with the game. No way I'm gonna buy a new game without a manual. You can't even use the excuse it comes with no manual because it's new![/quote]

That's ridiculous. He's trying to keep the code for himself then. The code for downloading is on the manual! That's what makes the game worth getting!

I've tired they tried to sell me a copy of burnout paradise with no case and manual for full price. I refuse and tried to get the used price and they said its still considered new which is BS. Never been back to that EB since.

[quote name='game_fanatic']I'm sure when you ask the EB clerks for a new game and they open up the "drawer of lost souls", you figure they've gutted the copy. Has anyone ever bitched about getting the used price for a gutted copy? Since obviously it is no longer new...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='arnoldrimmer']I have no problem paying full price for a gutted copy as long as it's complete, after all it's not like it's been played.[/quote]

Um, except for the fact that gutted copies often are played. It's a perk for EB Games employees (or it's an abuse of the system by a few employees in certain stores - take your pick.)

If I'm paying for a gutted copy, I'll check any other retailers first to look for a sealed version at similar price. If none is available, I'll look for a used copy and ask to see the condition of the disc. Am I anal? Yeah... but part of the fun of ownership is opening up a brand new game and seeing everything pristine and untouched. (~OCD OCD~)

There should be no reason for ebgames two gut games anymore, i always get pissed when they sell me a gutted copy. just this weekend i picked up Mass Effect for 10 bucks n it was gutted (fine) but when i got home the case was cracked and the manual was in a pretty bad shape... Oh the frustration!!!!!!!!!!

I do the same. I go for sealed if there's none I go used then new but open. Most games I don't care about manuals but some games you get free DLC so I make sure to get manuals with some games.

[quote name='ejamer']Um, except for the fact that gutted copies often are played. It's a perk for EB Games employees (or it's an abuse of the system by a few employees in certain stores - take your pick.)

If I'm paying for a gutted copy, I'll check any other retailers first to look for a sealed version at similar price. If none is available, I'll look for a used copy and ask to see the condition of the disc. Am I anal? Yeah... but part of the fun of ownership is opening up a brand new game and seeing everything pristine and untouched. (~OCD OCD~)[/QUOTE]

Didn't see any new deals today.

Bought Too Human and it was ungutted. Nice change fro m the last time I stepped into EB.

"Save $5 on select used best sellers new titles every week"

Anyone see which titles are on sale this week??

I don't know why people have been having such bad luck with gutted copies. Anytime that I have bought a gutted copy, the game disc and manuel are always mint. However, I must admit that the games just don't feel "100% new" unless I get to remove the wrapper from the game... nothing says consumerism like indecomposible cellophane!

I was just into my local EB Games (in the east) and picked up "Too Human" and the AC/DC track pack ... pretty good prices.

The employee I spoke with said the daily unadvertised deals would likely start tomorrow. They don't know what they will be until the morning of each day, but said he had a pretty good idea (and pointed at the stock levels of certain games behind the counter). No guarantees, but they seemed to have a lot of "Left 4 Dead" and "Prince of Persia" ... of course, that was just one store.

I guess I'm only interested in games for the 360, so there will probably be some days that won't be worth it for me (i.e. Wii or DS only daily deals). But if it runs all month, there's bound to be something good show up ...

I thought PoP was already on sale ($40)? Further price reduction would be sweet, though.

Come on GRID/Last Remnant/Tales of Vesperia!

ProTip: if you don't want a gutted game, put the words "a sealed copy of" in front of the title. "do you have a sealed copy of Mirror's Edge?"

[quote name='Firestorm']ProTip: if you don't want a gutted game, put the words "a sealed copy of" in front of the title. "do you have a sealed copy of Mirror's Edge?"[/quote]

I find that normally if I bring a gutted copy to the counter and they have sealed copies, they will just set the gutted one aside and give me a sealed one. Less work for them as they don't have to gut a new copy to display ;)

Maybe I just go to a good EB

I think people are kinda delusional on their expectations for 9.89 unadvertised stuff. Think older stuff that didn't sell that well, often not the best reviewed, or about to fall in price everywhere that they are overstocked in. Like is seen when they randomly have game of the day. Short of metroid and maybe Battalion 2 they were all in that category last year.

good deals at 9.89...but not recent top selling full price games.

[quote name='snuter']I don't know why people have been having such bad luck with gutted copies. ...[/quote]

95% of the time it's never an issue... but why worry about that 5% when you're buying something that is supposed to be new? Also, if you are buying games as a gift then gutted copies suck.

[quote name='onemorechanc']The employee I spoke with said the daily unadvertised deals would likely start tomorrow. ...[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up.

Even though there were only be two or three really interesting games (for me) during the whole sale last year, the awesome prices on those games justified repeated stop-bys to see what was available. Hopefully it'll be just as good this year.

I saw Bourne for $20, which I had been waiting for as a price I would buy it at, but with all the recent games that kick-ass, this is not worth my time or money anymore. :p

[quote name='zoro69']I think people are kinda delusional on their expectations for 9.89 unadvertised stuff. Think older stuff that didn't sell that well, often not the best reviewed, or about to fall in price everywhere that they are overstocked in. [/quote]

Expectations might be too high from some... but there are many fun, older games that would be worth buying if they saw a price-drop.

For example, I'm dreaming about maybe playing Dokapon Kingdom, Godfather, Chocobo's Dungeon, Kororinpa, Samba de Amigo, or PES 2008 on my Wii without a large cash outlay. Older budget games like Ghost Squad or House of the Dead 2 & 3 could also be good pickups at $10 -- or even better at $5 used.

None of those games were blockbusters worth full MSRP to me, but any one of them would $10 to try. Will any of those specific games show up on sale? Probably not... but it doesn't hurt to look and hope.

[quote name='ejamer']Even though there were only be two or three really interesting games (for me) during the whole sale last year, the awesome prices on those games justified repeated stop-bys to see what was available. Hopefully it'll be just as good this year.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I missed out on the deal for "Halo 3" last year ($5 used, $10 new) ... that price would have more than made up for some of the other titles that didn't appeal to me. Oh well, I ended up getting it for Christmas anyway. This year I don't mind stopping by just in case there are one or two deals like that again.

Tx to this thread, I just picked up these 3 games new : Too Human $9.89, Mirror's Edge $19.89 and Bourne Conspiracy $19.89

Note: Vampire Rain (360) and Project Slypheed both went back up in price to $8.98. I guess they sold too many copies at $4.98.

Any first hand experience w/ the Bourne game? It's temptig at that price point considerig I am a big Bourne fan.

Got The Darkness and Burnout: Paradise for $20. I went to the Source after and found a copy of Bioshock for $20 too, quite happy.

Woo +1 to limited edition $200 Bioshock!

jk =)

But is Burnout Paradise on sale for 9.89 then? or is it 14.99 used and you used the 2for$20 promo?

[quote name='zoro69']samba $10 used at BBV I believe .[/quote]

Interesting - thanks for the tip. :)

Doesn't look like a great game... but with friends and family who love Wii party games (the sillier looking the better), this could be right up my alley.

[quote name='sposhead']Any first hand experience w/ the Bourne game? It's temptig at that price point considerig I am a big Bourne fan.[/QUOTE]It's a short game with very clunky controls and mind-numbing boss fights (the fight with Castel was particularly stupid). But if you're a Bourne fan you can probably plow through the problems and still have a good time.

[quote name='qchrono']anyone know if Chrono trigger on sale though?[/QUOTE]
Not unless you think $45 is a sale price.

Disney think fast is 9.99$ with the four pads.

Also there is
2-$8 $20 $30 $40
And 2 for $5 on used DVDs

And all used acc 25% off. You could get a 360 wifi for 29$

[quote name='Ranzo']Disney think fast is 9.99$ with the four pads.
And all used acc 25% off. You could get a 360 wifi for 29$[/quote]

Now that is a pretty good deal. It should have been included to begin with but at $29, I'll bite. I just hope that MS can make a wireless router that is reliable!

I took a look down at my nearby EB during lunch today and it looks to me like this Game Days promotion is a real bust compared to last year. They had tons of deals and dedicated displays with stacks of games during the last sale. This time there were no obvious deals (and no easy way to find them) save for the flyer.

I'll check back again another day, but it really does look to be a waste of time this go-around.

No daily deals today, at least according to the Eaton Centre EB. An employee informed me that they weren't having daily price drops this time around, but let's hope he's wrong!

I wandered down to EB and saw a few things on the shelf that seemed to have mark downs. Only one of them had a red sticker though, so maybe some of these mark downs are old hat to hardcore CAGs.

Unreal Tournament 3 PS3 $19 (red tag so new for this week maybe?)
Mad World - $44
Condemned 2 - $19
Motorstorm Pacific Rift - $39
Farcry 2 PS3 - $39
EndWar PS3 - $19
Haze - $14 (lol)
Prince of Persia - $39

Didn't see any real DS deals. I didn't see any door busting $9.99 deals like last time either. There were no displays at all so this might not be a sale that changes on a daily basis.

odd.. i baught UT3 for 14.99, and haze was 9.99 for the longest time..

they are overcharging! lol

btw, UT3, is soooo worth it.... how come its not popluar?

[quote name='Bencherstyle']odd.. i baught UT3 for 14.99, and haze was 9.99 for the longest time..

they are overcharging! lol

btw, UT3, is soooo worth it.... how come its not popluar?[/QUOTE]

Ah well some of these deals probably are pretty old then.

EB Games has a lot of problems keeping their prices up to date because of their massive stock and tiny handful of workers. I see bizarre price differences all the time between stores. At the Gamestop in Vancouver Lock's Quest is $19.99 but at the EB downtown it's $24.99. Despite the difference in name the stores are the same and I'm pretty sure they use the same computer systems etc so it's really must be that the EB downtown staff are massively overworked and don't have the time to keep everything up to date.

The Gamestop in Vancouver is probably the quietest, most serene game store I've ever been in (I don't think anyone knows it exists yet).

[quote name='WillGabriel']I took a look down at my nearby EB during lunch today and it looks to me like this Game Days promotion is a real bust compared to last year. They had tons of deals and dedicated displays with stacks of games during the last sale. This time there were no obvious deals (and no easy way to find them) save for the flyer.

I'll check back again another day, but it really does look to be a waste of time this go-around.[/quote]

You're right, the sale started yesterday and the deals already are ice-cold. They really should end it now: the next 4 weeks aren't going to be anything special either.

bread's done
Back