Eb game days - April 05 - May 02

JnJosh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
This years "Game days" sales (remember those 9.89 games?) is running a bit early this year, hopefully a lot of stuff to come, flyer scans will be up on the 3rd, but I am willing to send them for a few good men, regulars only via PM. The rest of you can wait a few days, :)

just be a bit patient with the PMing, i will get back to you guys asap!

join the group! http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...hp?groupid=190

Flyer is now live, my crappy scans are no longer needed!

http://ebgames.ca/fsi.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, thats nice, since you have the whole store to yourself ;)

yea, ive seen Final fantasy 4 for the GBA for 24.99 ( i baught it at that price) but then when i went to the other EB, it was 14.99 ..... ouch ;(

so if i find a game with a sticker labelled 4.99 and the worker scans it at 14.99...do they HAVE to give u the 4.99 price? wats the policy on this...cuz ive never been able to get at the lower stickered price :(

Eh, last year with the Gamer Days I spent a bunch of money on stuff from the flyer. This year I'm buying nothing from the flyer. Game Days is thus far a bust. Atleast to me.

[quote name='kleptodathief']so if i find a game with a sticker labelled 4.99 and the worker scans it at 14.99...do they HAVE to give u the 4.99 price? wats the policy on this...cuz ive never been able to get at the lower stickered price :([/quote]

I've always wondered the same thing.......

[quote name='Zaxxon']Ah well some of these deals probably are pretty old then.

EB Games has a lot of problems keeping their prices up to date because of their massive stock and tiny handful of workers. I see bizarre price differences all the time between stores. At the Gamestop in Vancouver Lock's Quest is $19.99 but at the EB downtown it's $24.99. Despite the difference in name the stores are the same and I'm pretty sure they use the same computer systems etc so it's really must be that the EB downtown staff are massively overworked and don't have the time to keep everything up to date.

The Gamestop in Vancouver is probably the quietest, most serene game store I've ever been in (I don't think anyone knows it exists yet).[/QUOTE]

where is the gamestop in Vancouver? I never knew there was one here lol

I went to EB today scarborugh, toronto. I did not find any good deals for wii games.

One thing i did not like is that they increased price of godfather for wii to 24.99 from 14.99 so basically its same price the before sale price.

there are so many games i need to buy for vacation. Okami, madworld.....ah

:(

[quote name='d_bomb_23']where is the gamestop in Vancouver? I never knew there was one here lol[/QUOTE]

see lol.

There's a Gamestop on 8th near the Cambie/Broadway area. It's on a sidestreet along the new Home Depot along with a new TD Bank. With the new Skytrain stop on Cambie/Broadway that whole corridor is filling in with new stores. There's a new Cafe Artigiano, Whole Foods and London Drugs near there too.

That skytrain will be good for carless Vancouver CAGers. You can go from downtown EB/Futureshop to BestBuy/Gamestop further down to Oakridge mall EB/Zellers.

[quote name='Zaxxon']see lol.

There's a Gamestop on 8th near the Cambie/Broadway area. It's on a sidestreet along the new Home Depot along with a new TD Bank. With the new Skytrain stop on Cambie/Broadway that whole corridor is filling in with new stores. There's a new Cafe Artigiano, Whole Foods and London Drugs near there too.

That skytrain will be good for carless Vancouver CAGers. You can go from downtown EB/Futureshop to BestBuy/Gamestop further down to Oakridge mall EB/Zellers.[/quote]

It's a PITA to get to at the moment, with all the construction going on. But it's really quiet: most of the time I'm the only one there along with the staff and the delivery guy.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']It's a PITA to get to at the moment, with all the construction going on. But it's really quiet: most of the time I'm the only one there along with the staff and the delivery guy.[/quote]
can you suggest a quick way to get there from a skytrain station?

[quote name='kleptodathief']so if i find a game with a sticker labelled 4.99 and the worker scans it at 14.99...do they HAVE to give u the 4.99 price? wats the policy on this...cuz ive never been able to get at the lower stickered price :([/quote]
As far as I'm aware they legally have to sell it to you at the stickered price. It's being advertised at that price.

[quote name='Xeph820']can you suggest a quick way to get there from a skytrain station?[/QUOTE]

Skytrain isn't finished yet, but when it is (scheduled date Labour day in September) it's two blocks north of the Cambie/Broadway station on 8th on the east side of Cambie.

So I don't know otherwise the "easiest" is the 99 bus if you're getting off along broadway or whatever bus goes across the cambie if you're downtown, which is 15 but I don't know where that stops.

Did anyone go looking for PC games? I haven't gotten a chance to go myself yet but if anyone's seen anything interesting I hope I'm not the only pc gamer looking at this thread...

Hoping to pick up on the cheap: COD4, Crysis, Gears of War, Mass Effect

[quote name='slam09']As far as I'm aware they legally have to sell it to you at the stickered price. It's being advertised at that price.[/quote]
Not quite. Many stores have a policy stating that they'll give it to you for the sticker price, but there is no law forcing them. Having worked retail, I've seen plenty of people try to swap stickers on merchandise, and claim that they are now entitled to the sticker price.
Actual ads are treated differently, and if I recall correctly the retailer only needs to honor the ad once before they can discontinue it and quote the fine print to all the raging customers.

the competition act states its an offense to charge more then the ticketed price UNLESS its an error that is immediately corrected. Flyers etc not nonoured are supposed to have corrections posted. But there isn any enforcement of that kind of thing anyway. The last couple times that happened at eb they charged the sticker without problem when I pointed it out.

Looks like the wii ac/dc was supposed to be $25 being that is what is stickered at and people have said it scans at that

Already sold out of ps3 ac/dc here...for a month long flyer.

2/$20 and $30 bins were a big disappointment (maybe greywolf already cleared out the good stuff? ;) )

I don't recall the last time I found anything worthwhile in a bin. I've gotten to the point where I just discount them as old sports titles or last gen games.

[quote name='jto']Did anyone go looking for PC games? I haven't gotten a chance to go myself yet but if anyone's seen anything interesting I hope I'm not the only pc gamer looking at this thread...

Hoping to pick up on the cheap: COD4, Crysis, Gears of War, Mass Effect[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen anything, but we can hope. I'm mainly looking for 360 games myself, but I would like to pick up "Halo 2" for the PC ... I'm not paying $30 for it though!

By the way, I have "Gears of War" (Windows), and I think it was money well spent.

[quote name='onemorechanc']I haven't seen anything, but we can hope. I'm mainly looking for 360 games myself, but I would like to pick up "Halo 2" for the PC ... I'm not paying $30 for it though!

By the way, I have "Gears of War" (Windows), and I think it was money well spent.[/quote]

Gears (PC) is one I have been waiting to drop down to $10-15 so I could buy copies for myself and some friends to play co-op with. From the stories of disappointment in this thread, me thinks I'll be waiting a bit longer...:cry:

[quote name='zoro69']the competition act states its an offense to charge more then the ticketed price UNLESS its an error that is immediately corrected. Flyers etc not nonoured are supposed to have corrections posted. But there isn any enforcement of that kind of thing anyway. The last couple times that happened at eb they charged the sticker without problem when I pointed it out.

Looks like the wii ac/dc was supposed to be $25 being that is what is stickered at and people have said it scans at that

Already sold out of ps3 ac/dc here...for a month long flyer.

2/$20 and $30 bins were a big disappointment (maybe greywolf already cleared out the good stuff? ;) )[/quote]
I haven't even ventured out to the Game Days sale yet, I've been sick since last week.

[quote name='slam09']As far as I'm aware they legally have to sell it to you at the stickered price. It's being advertised at that price.[/QUOTE]
Nope. Price stickers are not binding. Until they accept your cash, prices are simply an invitation to do business, not a contract. They don't have to sell you the item, period, let alone for whatever price is on the sticker.

[quote name='dtp11']Have you tried Rhythm Heaven yet and if so, is it any good? If so, how much was it? ;)[/quote]

there's a short demo up on the nintendo channel if you have a wii

bestbuy has again now declared "we dont pm ebgames"

I volunteered to go get some for someone just for the chance to pm there (after what went on last year)

clerk calls someone to ask who says he has to check stock...gone for AGES. Coese back and says mass effect wasn't in stock (I knew it was but whatever), then says the other two are but the store didn't say whether they were new or used so they couldnt tell. Say they dont pm eb bcause they cant tell if they are new or used

So I tell hiem, cant you call and ask if they are new? And off he goes...for ages. Comes back and says they told him they were new, but they can't be sure if they are!! So they wont pm. Someone else was telling him not to do it and he was grasping to come up with an excuse.

Weird, past couple times it was no problem pming eb, didnt even check stock.

Sigh, now I have to make complaints and go back to make them do it.

He's lying. Call a manager when it's an outright lie to deny the PM. Politely ask for name of manager when they deny and tell head office. Bullshit like that shouldn't be tolerated

Oh I know all about making complaints about bs at BB/FS :). the only time I didn't was when they refused to pm with just a receipt when there was no flyer, given the policy does state advertsied price (even though other locations all do it without a flyer)

I thought things were different there with the gm having changed scince last year and it being no problem a couple of times.

there was only 1 male clerk on, so I had to break my rule...young girl clerks whenever possible for a pm.

Why do employees care so much for screwing customers out of deals in support of a company that is paying them just barely over minimum wage... Just let them do it instead of trying to find some loophole or making 130% sure it's legit... why waste all that time?

[quote name='zoro69']Oh I know all about making complaints about bs at BB/FS :). the only time I didn't was when they refused to pm with just a receipt when there was no flyer, given the policy does state advertsied price (even though other locations all do it without a flyer)

I thought things were different there with the gm having changed scince last year and it being no problem a couple of times.

there was only 1 male clerk on, so I had to break my rule...young girl clerks whenever possible for a pm.[/quote]

i lol'd cuz it was the first line i read :p

[quote name='Haeleos']Why do employees care so much for screwing customers out of deals in support of a company that is paying them just barely over minimum wage... Just let them do it instead of trying to find some loophole or making 130% sure it's legit... why waste all that time?[/quote]

they get fired if they wernt suppose to do it.... right?

[quote name='Haeleos']Why do employees care so much for screwing customers out of deals in support of a company that is paying them just barely over minimum wage... Just let them do it instead of trying to find some loophole or making 130% sure it's legit... why waste all that time?[/quote]

1) some of those retail dregs try to make a "career" out of it so to show the company they're "dedicated" and content on making $14 an hour as supervisors they try to defend the company.

2) they're kids and don't want to get fired.

3) they have a sense of pride rivaling those of evangelical holy men.

Here I am, high school kid trying to make enough money so I can pay off my cell phone bill and in walks zoro69 trying to PM some game. So I tell him I'll check and go talk with my other co-workers for a bit. Eventually I call EB but they're busy. Bummer. So I continue my convo with my co-worker (how about them Leafs?) and only remember later that I have to call EB again. Sigh. (Never mind the fact that there are dozens in the GTA, I only call one.)

I finally get through and half-listen: something about new and used. I leisurely walk back to zoro69 and basically shrug at him. He says something about calling to clarify. Whatever. I walk back there, remembering something about the Leafs and resume my conversation with my buddy. I call a couple times again (love that redial button) but my buddy tells me to just say no. Why didn't I think of that earlier?

So I walk back and tell zoro69 we can't do the PM. He asks why and I put the blame on my buddy's shoulders. I'm actually surprised he's still there considering we've gone through half of the Leafs' roster. But whatever, he walks away and I head back to talk about the rest of the Leafs.

Hey, look at the clock! Coffee break time.

There was this collector's edition mgs4 for 24.99 or 29.99 (but add the 5 dollar coupon off), because they seemed to labeled it twice. The regular mgs4 was 24.99 or 29.99 and the ce mgs4 behind the "24.99 or 29.99" one was like 30-40ish I think. So its a good snatch if somebody wants it. I forgot if its used but its gutted tho.

brentwood mall location

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Here I am, high school kid trying to make enough money so I can pay off my cell phone bill and in walks zoro69 trying to PM some game. So I tell him I'll check and go talk with my other co-workers for a bit. Eventually I call EB but they're busy. Bummer. So I continue my convo with my co-worker (how about them Leafs?) and only remember later that I have to call EB again. Sigh. (Never mind the fact that there are dozens in the GTA, I only call one.)

I finally get through and half-listen: something about new and used. I leisurely walk back to zoro69 and basically shrug at him. He says something about calling to clarify. Whatever. I walk back there, remembering something about the Leafs and resume my conversation with my buddy. I call a couple times again (love that redial button) but my buddy tells me to just say no. Why didn't I think of that earlier?

So I walk back and tell zoro69 we can't do the PM. He asks why and I put the blame on my buddy's shoulders. I'm actually surprised he's still there considering we've gone through half of the Leafs' roster. But whatever, he walks away and I head back to talk about the rest of the Leafs.

Hey, look at the clock! Coffee break time.[/quote]

put some thought into that post, didn't you :)

[quote name='Bencherstyle']put some thought into that post, didn't you :)[/QUOTE]
Sounds like he's had some experience at it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

I think they are supposed to. I got a used NHL 2K9 for 4.99 (-10% for my edge card) because the wrong price tag was on it a couple of months ago. Also I don't know if they are a part of the "scanner code of practice" like Wal-Mart and Best Buy. So that might also come into play.

[quote name='4got10']I think they are supposed to. I got a used NHL 2K9 for 4.99 (-10% for my edge card) because the wrong price tag was on it a couple of months ago. Also I don't know if they are a part of the "scanner code of practice" like Wal-Mart and Best Buy. So that might also come into play.[/QUOTE]
Nope they don't have to. Otherwise I'm going into a car dealership tomorrow and putting .99 stickers on all the cars then I'll head to Wal-Mart and go to the TV's and put .99 stickers on them and then I'll..... you get the idea.

If the price that they have advertised does not come up when it is scanned then they have to honour it but just sticking a random sticker on an item doesn't mean that you will get it for that price or that they have to sell it at that price.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Here I am, high school kid trying to make enough money so I can pay off my cell phone bill and in walks zoro69 trying to PM some game. So I tell him I'll check and go talk with my other co-workers for a bit. Eventually I call EB but they're busy. Bummer. So I continue my convo with my co-worker (how about them Leafs?) and only remember later that I have to call EB again. Sigh. (Never mind the fact that there are dozens in the GTA, I only call one.)

Hey, look at the clock! Coffee break time.[/quote]
go leafs go! :) way to screw themselves out of a good pick every year! forever 9th :p well no Sundin so not this year

[quote name='arnoldrimmer']Nope they don't have to. Otherwise I'm going into a car dealership tomorrow and putting .99 stickers on all the cars then I'll head to Wal-Mart and go to the TV's and put .99 stickers on them and then I'll..... you get the idea.

If the price that they have advertised does not come up when it is scanned then they have to honour it but just sticking a random sticker on an item doesn't mean that you will get it for that price or that they have to sell it at that price.[/quote]

Uhm that is actually fraud and can wind you in trouble really quick. Here is what I was was talking about in regards to the SCOP.

How does the code work?
If the scanned price of an non-price ticketed item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the item free, up to a $10 maximum. When the item has a price tagged, the lowest price applies. When identical items are incorrectly priced, the second one will be sold at the correct price. Under this code you are eligible

http://www.ccgd.ca/en/PriceAcc.html

So I guess it's up to whoever is at the till at the time when it comes to EBG since they are not listed on the site. In my case it just looks like one of the staff was not paying attention and mispriced the 2K9 along with the 2K8. Guess I was just lucky that day.

[quote name='seed84']there's a short demo up on the nintendo channel if you have a wii[/quote]Thanks!

As for EB honouring the lower price; anytime I've had that issue they've given it to me for the lower price (it's happened probably 2 or 3 times). Once time the guy said they "have to honour the ticketed price", but that's just one guy!

[quote name='4got10']Uhm that is actually fraud and can wind you in trouble really quick. Here is what I was was talking about in regards to the SCOP.

How does the code work?
If the scanned price of an non-price ticketed item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the item free, up to a $10 maximum. When the item has a price tagged, the lowest price applies. When identical items are incorrectly priced, the second one will be sold at the correct price. Under this code you are eligible.

http://www.ccgd.ca/en/PriceAcc.html

So I guess it's up to whoever is at the till at the time when it comes to EBG since they are not listed on the site. In my case it just looks like one of the staff was not paying attention and mispriced the 2K9 along with the 2K8. Guess I was just lucky that day.[/quote]

SCOP is an optional program. EB does not follow SCOP.

Further to this, the price tage at EB not only have the price but also the name of the game on them. For them to honour an incorrect price from someone taking a different price tag and sticking it on something else is a falacy.

[quote name='zoro69']

2/$20 and $30 bins were a big disappointment (maybe greywolf already cleared out the good stuff? ;) )[/quote]

I don't think it's just the bins. I was able to get two used $14.99 DS games for $20. Then again, it seemed like a new employee who wasn't 100% clear on the rules. She also game me the edge discount on top of it.

Heads up: saw Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword at the Shopper's World EB Games (Brampton) for $15! If I was still into my DS I'd be all over this!

*patiently waits for DJ MAX Portable Fever to drop*

EDIT: Searching before posting might be a good idea *facepalms*

[quote name='zoro69']Sale above advertised price
74.05 (1) A person engages in reviewable conduct who advertises a product for sale or rent in a market and, during the period and in the market to which the advertisement relates, supplies the product at a price that is higher than the price advertised.
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/C-34/bo-ga:l_VII_1//en#anchorbo-ga:l_VII_1[/QUOTE]
This applies to external advertising, not price stickers.

I believe this applies also to prices on selves.

[quote name='Zing']This applies to external advertising, not price stickers.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='towhytea']I believe this applies also to prices on selves.[/QUOTE]
Believe what you want, holmes, but it is not correct.

AFAIK, if you find a stickered price that says which game it is, and the price rings up differently, then you get the lower price. (e.g. you see a sticker on Gears of War 2 saying $29.99, and the sticker itself says "Gears of War 2," then they must honour the price.) This has be the standard operating procedure at all 3 of my retail jobs. Whether we were being courteous about it, or were legaly obliged to honour the less expensive price, I do not know.

Some notable games (prices after promo):

Xbox 360 (used):

Army of Two - $15
Tetris Evolution - $10

Wii (used):

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 - $20
Rayman Raving Rabbids - $10
Samba De Amigo - $10

PS3 (used):

Army of Two - $15
The Orange Box - $10
Unreal Trounament 3 - $10

PSP (used):

FFVII: Crisis Core - $15
FFTactics: The War of the Lions - $10

Nintendo DS (used):

Advance Wars: Dual Strike - $10

[quote name='joedick']She also game me the edge discount on top of it.[/quote]GAHHH! I wish they would have done that for me yesterday - they said it couldn't be combined :(

I might be wrong but I was under the impression that individual pricing stickers they don't have to honour as mistakes happen stickers fall off or get moved from one item to another. But on shelf pricing they had to do the lower price. But this is only based on my experiences.

[quote name='Zing']Believe what you want, holmes, but it is not correct.[/QUOTE]

Regarding mispriced goods: the response depends on store policy - not on any legal requirements. Advertised prices are slightly different, as has been mentioned previously.*

Stores do NOT have to honor price tags, and are NOT forced to do business with any particular customer. Stores DO have the right to refuse sales for any reason as long (as they are not being blatantly discriminatory) and CAN remove customers from the premises if they are causing any problems.

However, many stores will give customers the benefit of the doubt unless the tagged price looks suspicious or is simply too costly. Keeping customers happy is a worthwhile exercise in most cases, even if it means small losses... but doing so is not required.

"The customer is always right" is nothing more than a marketing slogan. Don't believe everything you hear.

*I am not a lawyer, and it is possible that laws in other areas could be different.

bread's done
Back