EB Games - 3DS Trade Promotion! Get it FREE!

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
3DS Trade up Offer

Receive a $125 trade credit for your DSI XL

Receive a $125 trade credit when you trade up to 5 used games (minimum $8.00 trade value)

$250 = FREE 3DS

Trades valid towards the pre-order of purchase of a Nintendo 3DS

From the e-mail I just received:

3DS Trade up Offer
Receive a $125 trade credit for your DSI XL or any 5 used games (minimum $8.00 trade value) when you trade towards the pre-order of purchase of a Nintendo 3DS.

You sure that you can stack both trades like that?

Who has a DSIXL anyways? I don't personally know anyone with one. I know a couple of people with DSIs but most have Lites.

[quote name='eataburger']Who has a DSIXL anyways? I don't personally know anyone with one. I know a couple of people with DSIs but most have Lites.[/QUOTE]

I had 2 at some point, now own 1.

I passed on the DSIXL because the 3DS was coming out in a yera or so. mad eno sense to spend all that money for a system that'd only be used for a year. Who knew Nintendo would want consol price for a had held system? I'm sticking whht my original DS.

[quote name='eataburger']Who has a DSIXL anyways? I don't personally know anyone with one. I know a couple of people with DSIs but most have Lites.[/QUOTE]the only people I know with DSI XLs aren't likely the people to trade it in for a 3DS. people like industry and well knowns who buy everything.

[quote name='Ather'] I'm sticking whht my original DS.[/QUOTE]how original? don't get me wrong I still have my phat but that sucker is locked up I never touch it.

[quote name='Mr.']If you trade your DSiXL now, you won't be able to transfer your DSiWare games to your new 3DS.[/QUOTE]

I stopped buying DSiWare when I was unable to transfer the titles from my DSi to my XL. Which was super annoying.

Also, the XL is awesome, for anyone who doesn't have one. I love it and definitely won't be trading it in (even though I'll probably get a launch 3DS).

I recently bought several DSiWare titles with my remaining points, knowing I'll be able to transfer those titles to my future 3DS. Nintendo made me very happy with that announcement.

As for the trade-in, meh. Not too many people own a DSi XL anyway, and those that got it didn't get it that long ago.

[quote name='eataburger']Who has a DSIXL anyways? I don't personally know anyone with one. I know a couple of people with DSIs but most have Lites.[/QUOTE]

I own one. And I LOVE it. I would not trade it in for a 3DS because the 3DS screens are too small. I cannot play on a DS Lite anymore because the screens are tiny.

Hm, if an eb employee doesn't know about this promotion, is there anywhere I can tell them to check for them to find out about it?

almost certain i saw it on the website in passing no? -quickcheck- guess not. I guess I musta seen it in a store flyer. Why it wouldn't be in your store dunno. What you could do is ask the GameStopCanada twitter account if you get a response take that to the store so they know it's real somewhere.

i would never get rid of my XL. The the system is awesome. I love playing games with the large screens. I haven't pre-ordered the 3DS but if I can get together 5 ds games of 8+ TIV I might have to jump on this.

[quote name='Wolfkin']you guys are getting me exited over the XL maybe when they drop in price after the 3DS is released I'll get one[/QUOTE]

The XL is the shiz. Most underrated system by far. I wont get rid of mine unless they re-release a 3ds with bigger screens.

[quote name='Faytz']Hm, if an eb employee doesn't know about this promotion, is there anywhere I can tell them to check for them to find out about it?[/QUOTE]

The promo was launched mid-month so it's not in their monthly marketing book. They'll have to read their emails.. it should be in there.

I took advantage of a trade-in promo EB had last year. I traded in one of my Lites and some games, and the XL ended up costing my $17 out of my pocket at the transaction. If it wasn't for that deal, I probably wouldn't have gotten and XL.

Wait, Nintendo made some type of announcement on transferring DSiware purchases to 3DS? I don't have an i but I was wondering if I bought a launch 3DS would I lose all my purchases if I then upgraded to the 2nd generation 3DS. If they're transferring from i to 3DS then they'll have to do 3DS to 3DS Lite right?

presumably once they've started an upgrade path they'll have to keep providing one. it's ludicrous to imagine that you won't be able to transfer from one 3DS to another, now that they're willling to let you transfer from DSi to 3DS

this is probably something they talk about on the 8-4 podcast.. but I'm only 20 minutes in. it's 2 hours on the 3DS so I'm SURE it comes up at one point.

[quote name='TripleQ']The promo was launched mid-month so it's not in their monthly marketing book. They'll have to read their emails.. it should be in there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, next time this comes up I'll tell them to check their emails more often~ :bouncy:

The problem I see with their transfer system is that you have to have the two units functional and together to do a transfer. If your system breaks or gets lost/stolen you can no longer transfer anything off it. Nintendo really needs to get their act together.

maybe this info hasn't been revealed yet but does anyone know which games will appear on the systems Virtual Console? (if it has even been confirmed it'll have a virtual console)

I hope it can run more than just GameBoy games as it'd be nice to have everything from the NES to the GameCube (console + handheld) though thats probably just wishful thinking

i'm hearing it's only two systems at launch. GBA and GBC I think. no GB. or was it GB/GC and no GBA. yeah that's right no GBA (at launch) Think i got it from an IGN podcast. 8-4 has a two hour podcast on the 3DS so I'm hoping that eventually this iwll come up there. 66 minutes in and not yet.

They have only said GB and GBC. When asked about others they said they're only ready to talk about those two systems. I don't give a flying butt about GB or GBC, but I think GBA would be vital.

But what about the other carts the DSi design sent to retro heaven? Trinen says Game Boy Advance support isn't part of this announcement. "Basically we're focusing on Game Boy and Game Boy Color. If we decide to introduce [GBA games] at a later date, we'd announce later if we did."
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/19/3ds-eshop-detailed-virtual-console-dsiware-demos-and-the-abs/

if they brought over survival kids 2 (only out in japan so far)and put it on the system I'll be pretty happy.

don't worry about it snake. they're coming. there's no way they can cut out the GBA for the entire lifecycle. It'll happen eventually. If they want to start small that's fine by me.

[quote name='lustyhitter']I love how they call it "FREE". Well, at least no money comes out of your pocket come March 27.[/QUOTE]
Actually they didn't call it "FREE" at all. The email I got said trade in 5 games "OR" XL for $125 credit toward 3DS. No mention of stacking.

[quote name='Wolfkin']don't worry about it snake. they're coming. there's no way they can cut out the GBA for the entire lifecycle. It'll happen eventually. If they want to start small that's fine by me.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I also assume they'll eventually get to GBA, but to focus on GB/GBC from the get-go is kinda lame because those games feel like the stone age to me now. GBA games are still extremely playable and modern-feeling enough, but I just have absolutely no interest in GB/GBC.

Another thing they should be thinking about is the fact that many people (like me) are still on DS/DS Lite and embrace that GBA support, people like me will hesitate to give that up and move on to the 3DS but if it had GBA downloads that'd make the leap a whole lot easier to accept. That's actually a big factor for me in upgrading, the loss of GBA support.

Preordered the 3DS today at Gamestop.
If you don't have 5 games or a DSI XL you can trade a PSP2000 for $25 +$75 bonus for trading it towards new hardware and I believe the DSLite will get you $30 +$75.
Can't complain getting $100 for a system I got years ago on a trade 5 deal ;)

[quote name='halide']Preordered the 3DS today at Gamestop.
If you don't have 5 games or a DSI XL you can trade a PSP2000 for $25 +$75 bonus for trading it towards new hardware and I believe the DSLite will get you $30 +$75.
Can't complain getting $100 for a system I got years ago on a trade 5 deal ;)[/QUOTE]

That sounds pretty hot, especially since you can probably find nds lites for around 50-70 dollars on craigslist if you wait. Do you know where I can find this promotion notice for trading in game consoles for new hardware?

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I just have absolutely no interest in GB/GBC..[/QUOTE]
Ah, but will that attitude change when the supposedly amazing Metal Gear: Ghost Babel is released.

For me, I can think of dozens of games I would love to play again on the GB and GBC alone. Super Mario Land 2; Donkey Kong '94; LOZ: LA, OoS, & OoA; Shantae; Pokemon; Metroid 2; Super Mario Bros. DX; Pokemon Pinball; DQIⅈ DQIII; DQ Monsters 1 & 2; DemiKids; Wario Land 1-3; Revelations: Demon Slayer; Kirby's Dream Land 1 & 2.

I'm sure I could think of more if I tried.

[quote name='halide']you can trade a PSP2000 for $25 +$75 bonus for trading it towards new hardware and I believe the DSLite will get you $30 +$75.
Can't complain getting $100 for a system I got years ago on a trade 5 deal ;)[/QUOTE]

Is this $75+ hardware thing confirmed? Because I'll give up my DSLite and maybe even my PSP-2000.

[quote name='Alexisonfire']Ah, but will that attitude change when the supposedly amazing Metal Gear: Ghost Babel is released.
[/QUOTE]
Hmm, I don't know anything about Ghost Babel but I'm not really a fan of those 2D Metal Gear games. I have always felt that Tetris DX (GBC) was the best Tetris of all time, but recently I dug out my copy and took it for a spin. It felt ancient compared to my PSP version, mainly cause you couldn't Hold a block aside to use later. I have no love for GB.

Though I don't see why the buzz about VC support on the 3DS is so desirable even if there was GBA games on it.

Look how messed up it is on the Wii.. It was great in the beginning then took a back seat to their WiiWare games.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Yeah I also assume they'll eventually get to GBA, but to focus on GB/GBC from the get-go is kinda lame because those games feel like the stone age to me now. GBA games are still extremely playable and modern-feeling enough, but I just have absolutely no interest in GB/GBC.

Another thing they should be thinking about is the fact that many people (like me) are still on DS/DS Lite and embrace that GBA support, people like me will hesitate to give that up and move on to the 3DS but if it had GBA downloads that'd make the leap a whole lot easier to accept. That's actually a big factor for me in upgrading, the loss of GBA support.[/QUOTE]you just need to see it to understand. GB/C has some good games. The good ones hold up very reasonably.

[quote name='Alexisonfire']Ah, but will that attitude change when the supposedly amazing Metal Gear: Ghost Babel is released.

For me, I can think of dozens of games I would love to play again on the GB and GBC alone. Super Mario Land 2; Donkey Kong '94; LOZ: LA, OoS, & OoA; Shantae; Pokemon; Metroid 2; Super Mario Bros. DX; Pokemon Pinball; DQIⅈ DQIII; DQ Monsters 1 & 2; DemiKids; Wario Land 1-3; Revelations: Demon Slayer; Kirby's Dream Land 1 & 2.

I'm sure I could think of more if I tried.[/QUOTE]ohyes. the GB/GBC has a TON of great games some of which are on my wish list. Dream Land 1 I played, and I own Links Awakening but I'm dying to get Oracle of Ages/Seasons. Oh man don't let the connectivity work. That would rock my soul.

[quote name='rkenshin']Though I don't see why the buzz about VC support on the 3DS is so desirable even if there was GBA games on it.

Look how messed up it is on the Wii.. It was great in the beginning then took a back seat to their WiiWare games.[/QUOTE]I can agree with this. I'm excited for the 3DS but the portable VC... that's a low level draw. For exactly the reason you've listed here. Oh well I'm not gonna be buying one for like a year anyway so I'll be good.

The 5 games is the better deal for me, not wanting to trade in any of my old DS systems, including the XL.

[quote name='Alexisonfire']Ah, but will that attitude change when the supposedly amazing Metal Gear: Ghost Babel is released.[/QUOTE]

MGS GBC isn't all THAT great. I mean, compared to other GBC games it is certainly a quality game, but it's not something you'd play now and be like "AWESOME!" I sold mine ages ago and don't miss it.

[quote name='Faytz']That sounds pretty hot, especially since you can probably find nds lites for around 50-70 dollars on craigslist if you wait. Do you know where I can find this promotion notice for trading in game consoles for new hardware?[/QUOTE]

I went in a week ago to pick up a game and asked if there was any other deals other than the DSi XL trade-in for the 3DS. I told him I had a psp2000 and a DS lite, he said that all hardware trades towards new hardware are bumped up by $75, so my $25 psp was bumped to $100. I don't know where you will find this online but you can always call your local Gamestop and ask. If they give you the run around tell me and I'll scan my receipt.

Another deal I ran into is that all games trading for over $20 were being bumped to $40.
I took in Legend of the Guardian ($1 at Walmart) and got a new copy of Golden Sun DS.
YMMV.

[quote name='halide']I went in a week ago to pick up a game and asked if there was any other deals other than the DSi XL trade-in for the 3DS. I told him I had a psp2000 and a DS lite, he said that all hardware trades towards new hardware are bumped up by $75, so my $25 psp was bumped to $100. I don't know where you will find this online but you can always call your local Gamestop and ask. If they give you the run around tell me and I'll scan my receipt.

Another deal I ran into is that all games trading for over $20 were being bumped to $40.
I took in Legend of the Guardian ($1 at Walmart) and got a new copy of Golden Sun DS.
YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Wow your game stop seems to be awesome, I traded in the copy of Other M I bought before christmas ($30 credit) no bump up.

I guess it's worth a try, asking about additional deals. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='Faytz']That sounds pretty hot, especially since you can probably find nds lites for around 50-70 dollars on craigslist if you wait. Do you know where I can find this promotion notice for trading in game consoles for new hardware?[/QUOTE]hm.. never thought of it that way before. if I could find the games or the system on craiglist cheap it kinda functions as a nice discount. That's almost enough to make me considering pre-ordering.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Anyone been able to confirm if that $75 hardware bump is chain-wide?[/QUOTE]

It was, the last day apparently was today though. If anyone hears anything else please feel free to comment though, as I'd love to take advantage of this =)

bread's done
Back