EB/GS: Playable Wii Kiosks (Update 11/4: All stores should have them by 11/14/06)

Ma12kez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
::EDIT (6):: A reliable source in CAG allout1986 has reported that their store has gotten a memo stating:

[quote name='allout1986']We got a memo saying that all stores should have them by the 14th.[/quote]
So take that with a grain of salt again guys, but it seems pretty accurate to me. I guess better late than never though; mine still hasn't received the Wiimote yet.:cry:

::EDIT (5):: Here are some guy's impressions when he found a playable Wii kiosk at his local EB/GS (thanks evilmax17): http://www.nintendoevolved.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=282&Itemid=47

[quote name='Smitty3000']
Today, after I got home from school I gave my local Gamestop a call. I was asking if there Wii demo kiosk was up and running, he said yes, and that the Nintendo Rep dropped off the controller and Excitetruck.
So let me start with my first impressions. To start the Wii is so small its sleek, and very smooth looking. One of the nicest things I ever laid my eyes on, looks very much like the DS lite in color. After recieving the Wii-mote from the employee I couldnt believe how small it was, but it was perfect. Not to heavy, not to light, it was just right!
The game in the Wii was Excitetruck, I was expecting Wii Sports but Excitetruck would do! I knew exactly how to play since I have seen tons of videos on the internet of how to play. Basically you press the two button down for gas and you use the Wii-mote as a steering wheel. So the race started, it was on my blood was rushing and I was ready to go! The race starts and you turn the Wii-mote every which way, the Wii is very responsive. Responding to every little movement you make. It was fantastic, it was a blast smashing into other racers and getting giant speed boosts!
To end the game was a blast, it really shows all of the ways the Wii-mote can be optimized. Very responsive and very fun, this short Wii expierience was a blast and has me anticipating the Wii more. Im almost positive that I will stop off to play again, because it was so much fun! Below and inside you can check out pics of me playing the Wii and more. I hope you enjoyed my little preview![/quote]

If you guys do find a playable Wii kiosk let us know and the location too!

::EDIT (4):: Well I called my local EB/GS and they said they got their kiosk in yesterday, but did not set it up until today. No Wiimote accounted for though, so I didn't even bother to make a trip down there.:cry: He also stated that the higher traffic stores will be getting them in earlier. In addition, CAGs sonderiaom and obijuan71 have spotted Wii Kiosks at their local retailers, so this doesn't seem like a rumor anymore.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif]
::EDIT (3):: Credit goes to CAG Bazz for providing the links - It seems that the Wii Kiosks are popping up slowly throughout the nation in various EB/GS. So keep your eyes peeled! In addition one of playable games will be Excite Truck, assuming Wii Sports will be the other one. If your store has the kiosk for display only, then the the Nintendo Representative hasn't swung by yet to drop off the games and Wiimotes.
[/FONT][quote name='Prodigy095 on October 31st @ 7:46 PM from Dallas, TX']I'm so excited!! My store received our Wii demo unit today and it looks amazing. As soon as our Nintendo rep swings by w/ ExciteTrucks and the Wii-mote i'll be in heaven. I took some pics w/ my camera phone if anyone cares to see them.

So go by your local EB or Gamestop and play the Wii!![/quote] (The following pictures are not mine, but from the links posted below)
wiigamestop.jpg

wiigamestop2.jpg

wiigamestop3.jpg

saveimage4.jpg
  1. Here are the original posts and links:
I'm not going to confirm this rumor just yet until there is solid information from EB/GS (or a well-known site), or if I see it in person.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif]
::EDIT (2):: Other CAGs are reporting that their EB/GS will be getting it "sometime this week."
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif]

::EDIT:: I also forgot to mention that the manager also told me they were having controller distribution issues, and that some stores may not get a controller the first couple of days so they might just display it.

[/FONT]As I was picking up my pre-order for FFXII, I noticed that the manager and a couple employees were having a conference call over the speakerphone with all the other managers within my district. Aside from hearing that Halo 3 pre-orders start tomorrow as well which can be found here, there was a little whisper that the Wii would be available to play tomorrow as well and the Nintendo Representative would come over and hand the stuff to the employees and show them how to use it.

So after I picked up my stuff, I go over and ask one of them what the details were (which was around 4:00 PM PST). He kind of cringed a little but he said they are definitely getting it in tomorrow for display and everything (he said this SHOULD BE nationwide and just call to confirm). They will also require you to lend them your driver's license while you play (this is most likely for security purposes only as the Wiimote is wireless and can be easily stolen; but too bad for the kids). So if you don't see the Wiimote lying around anywhere, be sure to ask an employee, as it will most likely be behind the counter or in their possession.

So take this with a grain of salt and call your local EB/GS tomorrow to verify this rumor. For reference this was the EB Games in Chula Vista, CA. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif]#4059.
[/FONT]

They are going to make you give them your license? Wow, I guess because the stuff is wireless they are worried about it getting stolen? I wonder what they will do when kids who are too young to drive want to try it out

Looks like kids can't play! Suckers!!!

If this is true, then I'll have to make a trip to my local EB for a little test play.

Someone from the Penny Arcade forums said his local GS had it set up but they werent letting anyone play it yet. Maybe it wasnt completely set up or I dont know.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']They are going to make you give them your license? Wow, I guess because the stuff is wireless they are worried about it getting stolen? I wonder what they will do when kids who are too young to drive want to try it out[/quote]

I guess they have to get mom to come in with them so they can try it out. I'm glad because it means the controllers will actually work.

[quote name='Scrubsy']I want to save my wii cherry for launch day, but I want to play so bad.[/quote]That's kinda what I'm thinking, but eh, fuck it. If the manager is there tomorrow I'll call over and have him whoop my ass in whatever game is there (since he played them all in Dallas).

INTENTIVE PURPOSES

it's "for all intents and purposes" :lol:

sweet. as much I'd like to be gung-ho about day 1, I need to try one of these things first.

[quote name='Apossum']it's "for all intents and purposes" :lol:

sweet. as much I'd like to be gung-ho about day 1, I need to try one of these things first.[/quote]It's okay, for the first two thirds of my life I thought it was "intensive purposes."

[quote name='iheartmetal']no word from my DM or my Nintendo rep and I talked to both of them today.[/quote]It was a late call right before closing, so maybe they didn't get the call yet?

[quote name='Apossum']it's "for all intents and purposes" :lol:

sweet. as much I'd like to be gung-ho about day 1, I need to try one of these things first.[/quote]LOL. Thanks for the correction. I was giving out Halloween candy at the same time so it kind of threw me off guard.

Neither of the stores in my area (Costa Mesa, CA) are aware of an expected date for the arrival of their Wii demo kiosks. One of them is on-the-ball and trustworthy, the other seems pretty unaware in general - in a confused exchange, the guy I talked to at the crappier location had to ask another employee when the Wii was being released!

Christ, I do hope it's sometime this week though. If it's Wii Sports and it has two (or four!) controllers available, my buddies and I will be kicking it at GameStop for a coupla days.

[quote name='Bazz']This is true. http://gonintendo.com/
they have pictures of the kiosk and news.[/quote]Thanks, I'll update the OP. Any confirmation that they were at least playable? Unless I'm missing something, the pictures don't show any Wiimote or anything.

Well as you stated they probably have the remote behind the counter. Also it says they will be getting Excite Truck. So not really sure we just know it's coming soon.

[quote name='Bazz']Well as you stated they probably have the remote behind the counter. Also it says they will be getting Excite Truck. So not really sure we just know it's coming soon.[/quote]True. Just thought it would show someone using the Wiimote. Also, where does it say stuff about Excite Truck?

Has anyone tried calling their EB/GS today? I've got class, then work so I won't be able to check until later on tonight.

[quote name='Apossum']it's "for all intents and purposes" :lol:[/QUOTE]

Wow. You guys are harsh. It's really a doggie dog world out there!

;)

[quote name='Tybee']Wow. You guys are harsh. It's really a doggie dog world out there!

;)[/QUOTE]

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THAR.

just stopped by an EB last night in downtown SF... no kiosk. I asked and they said if they were going to get one, it would already be here. Since they didn't, it will probably be set up after launch.

[quote name='Tybee']Wow. You guys are harsh. It's really a doggie dog world out there!

;)[/QUOTE]

irregardless, I could care less!

ah and no kiosk at my eb.

Went to a GameStop near my job in Las Colinas, Tx they had the kiosk but no sign of the Wii-motes, the Wii is on plane sight and got to tell you is even smaller than I imagine but the Kiosk had a Huge Card on the front announcing that you will be able to play on it soon, didn't say when......

Was in a hurry didn't stop to ask when will be available for use either

We'll probably get to start playing them in a week or so. Right now, they are trying to get them all set up. I'm going to my Gamestop tomorrow to see if they even have the kiosk there or not.

The Gamestop at Sunset has one, but they don't have the wiimote yet. He said that they'll prob get it monday or a little bit later.

I just got done calling about 10 of the EB's/Gamestop's in Omaha, NE and none of them had any set up yet, some of them didn't seem to know what I was talking about. One guy told me it would probably be Monday or Tuesday for his location. I have a nasty feeling that Nintendo is going to forget about those of us in the midwest and I'm not going to see anything till launch day, Omaha/surrounding suburb area. They should be drumming up more support before the holiday season. I can wait 3 weeks though. : )

Stopped by my EB and the employee said the Nintendo representative should have stopped by yesterday, Thursday, but the latest would be Monday.

my gs has it, and you need to leave your driver's license or wallet/credit card. its the full copy of excite truck

[quote name='djfalcon']my gs has it, and you need to leave your driver's license or wallet/credit card. its the full copy of excite truck[/quote]How many wiimotes were available?

[quote name='allout1986']We got a memo saying that all stores should have them by the 14th.[/quote]Thanks. I'll update the OP with this information.

The EBs in Power and McKelips and EBs in Superstition Mall (the one on Power) both have their Wii setups. I know for certain the one on McKelips is functioning because I played Excite Truck on it. It was a blast, though I wouldn't pay 50 bucks for it. Just an arcade racer-- albeit very fun, but no depth.
Also, I found out the EB in Arizona Mills Mall in Tempe will have their Wii by Tuesday. I didn't call that many stores, but seemed to get great responses from the ones I did call. Seems like anyone in AZ could play sometime this week.

bread's done
Back