EB resealing games and marking them as new- finally got my pictures.

[quote name='Villy']My question is, how long ago was this?

There are a few issues with this story. All new PSX skus are gone. They were all converted to used. She was probably shrink wrapping them because she was instructed to put them out live, as in, with the disc in the case. You shrink them to prevent people from jacking the disc.

So, here is what really happened. The girls DM calls and says to put the PS1 games out live. So, she removes the sticker and takes off the residue that is directly on the case. Shrink wraps it and restickers it. Then puts it on the sales floor complete.[/QUOTE]

We have a winner! This is quite common. Some of you guys just jump to conclusions and stick your head where it doesn't belong. My local EB had to do the exact same thing.

[quote name='rodeojones903']We have a winner! This is quite common. Some of you guys just jump to conclusions and stick your head where it doesn't belong. My local EB had to do the exact same thing.[/QUOTE]

No need to get so upset. He was merely stating what he saw. Besides, he did say she put a "New" sticker on the freshly wrapped game, so the point of the DM telling the store to put PS1 games live is a moot one, as it should still be labeled as "Used". Shrinkwrapped =/= new.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I have a feeling if I posted that I saw an EB/GS employee eating live babies you people would actually believe it.[/quote] OMG!:hot: At what Eb?

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']No need to get so upset. He was merely stating what he saw. Besides, he did say she put a "New" sticker on the freshly wrapped game, so the point of the DM telling the store to put PS1 games live is a moot one, as it should still be labeled as "Used". Shrinkwrapped =/= new.[/quote]

But I wonder if the OP meant new as in 'not the same sticker she just removed' or new as in 'white sticker denoting a game as brand new'. Thats why I asked what color the sticker was. When they price adjust used games they put 'new' stickers on them, but new yellow used game stickers. Does that make any sense? lol

[quote name='Puffa469']But I wonder if the OP meant new as in 'not the same sticker she just removed' or new as in 'white sticker denoting a game as brand new'. Thats why I asked what color the sticker was. When they price adjust used games they put 'new' stickers on them, but new yellow used game stickers. Does that make any sense? lol[/QUOTE]

Actually, that makes perfect sense, now. I re-read his original post, and it can be interpreted 2 different ways: It's a fresh (new) used sticker, or it's a sticker used for new games only. Depending on which one he meant, it could change the story around completlely......

Being that I worked at a GS for 3 years and only left recently because I was graduating from college, I can give you a couple pretty good reasons why they would have a shrinkwrap machine.

1) Look at most PS1/N64 units sold, they are shrink wrapped. Console on the bottom, AV cord and power cord on left side and then the controller taking up the rest of the console face.

2) Inventory, stores will shrink wrap 5 copys of a game together and then store the set in back. This happens regularly with popular titles that get heavily trades (i.e. Madden, GTA, etc.)

3) Gutted Copies, yes I know many people think that backrooms are endless and that we should have multiple empty cases, so that games don't need to be gutted. That is unrealistic, and it allows for everyone to immediately view in-stock games.

Finally, if you think that the companies are trying to cheat you by selling used as new, I am afraid you are wrong on many levels. GS follows used sales and does not, greatly, care about new sales. If that game you just bought is labeled new, the computer does not know the difference and neither do the HR departments that can decide you fate with the company. Plus, if you store is over, you are penalized because it creates bad rep for the company. They view it almost the same as your story being short money.

All of the EB stores that I've worked at or been to have a shrinkwrap machine. I don't see what the pictures prove. The store I used to work at also has one and a friend of mine used to reshrink his games and give them to his friends as presents :lol:

Ahh yes, the Powell St. store. I've only been there a couple of times but I do know that they have a lot of trouble with their inventory; everytime they find something on the computer and see that htey have multiple copies, they can't seem to find it. I know they're not pretending unless the guy's making such an effort to hide a game that he'd spend 15-20 minutes looking everywhere for it. Of course, not all the employees are like that; the last time I was there I was definately ignored even though I stood right in front of the counter for over 5 minutes. The guy finally looked up when I was like, "excuse me..." but he didn't even bother to look for the game I was asking for (Digital Devil Saga 2) and just said that they probably didn't have it. I saw two gutted copies on the shelf, lol, and wanted to see if they had any sealed copies.

Omg, now that I don't work for EB anymore, I'm starting to come up with my own EB/GS sucks stories!

[quote name='dwhelan']
3) Gutted Copies, yes I know many people think that backrooms are endless and that we should have multiple empty cases, so that games don't need to be gutted. That is unrealistic, and it allows for everyone to immediately view in-stock games. [/quote]

Damn, I was hoping that was not one of the reasons that stores have the shrinkwrap machine.

I guess there really is no way of getting a guaranteed unhandled, unplayed "new" game. Even if asking for a "sealed" copy, it seems there's still the possibility that it's just a gutted display copy that could've been signed out and played, then resealed with the machine. =\

And if you do get a gutted copy that might scratches and screwed up manuals, I don't think there's a way to return it since the only way to check is to unwrap the game and take a look at the conditions inside.

[quote name='vietgurl']
Ahh yes, the Powell St. store. I've only been there a couple of times but I do know that they have a lot of trouble with their inventory[/QUOTE]

Yup, not that great of a store.

I just assumed all EB's/Gamestop's had a way to shrinkwrap games, mostly for used systems/games.

I work at TRU and I have a question for anyone who works at EB/Gamestop. At TRU, if we need an empty display case for a particular game we can place an order for it. So let's say I need some more clamshells/empty displays for Digital Devil Saga. I can hop on our computer and order a max of 6 of them at a time, so that we can display the games we have in stock. Does EB/Gamestop have that kind of program? Just because I notice sometimes they get a lot of display copies for certain games, and other times they gut a copy so they can use the box as a display.

[quote name='asianxcore']Yup, not that great of a store.

I just assumed all EB's/Gamestop's had a way to shrinkwrap games, mostly for used systems/games.

I work at TRU and I have a question for anyone who works at EB/Gamestop. At TRU, if we need an empty display case for a particular game we can place an order for it. So let's say I need some more clamshells/empty displays for Digital Devil Saga. I can hop on our computer and order a max of 6 of them at a time, so that we can display the games we have in stock. Does EB/Gamestop have that kind of program? Just because I notice sometimes they get a lot of display copies for certain games, and other times they gut a copy so they can use the box as a display.[/QUOTE]

Nope, we receive a box with marketing materials; DVD inserts for games and the like. Usually we use this as a display case for either Coming Soon or New Release games (most stores usually throw them away and gut real games once the game is out though) but that's about it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A SHRINKWRAP MACHINE OMG!

EVERY store has one. EB/GAMESTOP/GAMECRAZY/BLOCKBUSTER/HOLLYWOOD VIDEO/TOYS R US/BEST BUY/FRYS

Whats you're point?

[quote name='gizmogc']:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A SHRINKWRAP MACHINE OMG!

EVERY store has one. EB/GAMESTOP/GAMECRAZY/BLOCKBUSTER/HOLLYWOOD VIDEO/TOYS R US/BEST BUY/FRYS

Whats you're point?[/QUOTE]

You do realize that you look just as ridiculous as the OP at this point right?

I do realize that the picture proves nothing, but thatwhat the girl used to wrap the game. I'm not gonna stand in front of her and take a picture.

[quote name='Zahiti']I do realize that the picture proves nothing, but thatwhat the girl used to wrap the game. I'm not gonna stand in front of her and take a picture.[/QUOTE]

I take back what I said. Gizmo could never be on the same level of ridiculousness as anyone else. He sets the bar FAR too high for anyone to match. Its not just this thread its pretty much every thread where he spouts off the same things over and over about how gamestores and their employees are the best thing ever and the customer is an evil foul thing that should feel priveleged to even be allowed to set foot in one of their stores.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I take back what I said. Gizmo could never be on the same level of ridiculousness as anyone else. He sets the bar FAR too high for anyone to match. Its not just this thread its pretty much every thread where he spouts off the same things over and over about how gamestores and their employees are the best thing ever and the customer is an evil foul thing that should feel priveleged to even be allowed to set foot in one of their stores.[/quote]
I agree completely.

[quote name='vietgurl']Nope, we receive a box with marketing materials; DVD inserts for games and the like. Usually we use this as a display case for either Coming Soon or New Release games (most stores usually throw them away and gut real games once the game is out though) but that's about it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That explains a lot :)

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I take back what I said. Gizmo could never be on the same level of ridiculousness as anyone else. He sets the bar FAR too high for anyone to match. Its not just this thread its pretty much every thread where he spouts off the same things over and over about how gamestores and their employees are the best thing ever and the customer is an evil foul thing that should feel priveleged to even be allowed to set foot in one of their stores.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, pretty much. Atleast you finally get it.

[quote name='Villy']My question is, how long ago was this?

There are a few issues with this story. All new PSX skus are gone. They were all converted to used. She was probably shrink wrapping them because she was instructed to put them out live, as in, with the disc in the case. You shrink them to prevent people from jacking the disc.

So, here is what really happened. The girls DM calls and says to put the PS1 games out live. So, she removes the sticker and takes off the residue that is directly on the case. Shrink wraps it and restickers it. Then puts it on the sales floor complete.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this is what happened in this case. It being a PS1 game is key. One of my local stores converted all their "new" display/gutted PS1 games into used PS1 games and shrinkwrapped the disc back in the case. So in essence, what you have here is EB selling new games at used prices. Some of them even contained the original factory wrapping and had nice "Used" stickers on them. Hell, I even got some of them in the B2G1 last month.

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, pretty much. Atleast you finally get it.[/QUOTE]

And perhaps the funniest part of the whole thing is that you got fired from a video game store...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']And perhaps the funniest part of the whole thing is that you got fired from a video game store...[/QUOTE]

Yep, sure did. Best part was collecting unemployment! Get paid...don't work...AWESOME!

And you may think I got fired for being an ass and such, but that would be incorrect. Remember CoreyCube? Same reason. I get in trouble for helping out CAGgers.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You do realize that you look just as ridiculous as the OP at this point right?[/quote]

I think he is just happy that others see the OP as being ridiculous.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']And perhaps the funniest part of the whole thing is that you got fired from a video game store...[/quote]

Getting fired from Gamestop is not hard at all. It may not even be a bad sign of a persons character. I know two assistants who lost their jobs for poor numbers performance but they kept the store clean, were nice to customers, and were very organized with their paperwork and registers.

Gamestop wants salesmen, not workers.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']And perhaps the funniest part of the whole thing is that you got fired from a video game store...[/quote]

wonder how he got fired? :lol:

[quote name='CaoPi']wonder how he got fired? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Missed my post directly after?

"Yep, sure did. Best part was collecting unemployment! Get paid...don't work...AWESOME!

And you may think I got fired for being an ass and such, but that would be incorrect. Remember CoreyCube? Same reason. I get in trouble for helping out CAGgers."

I work at a game store. We have a shrinkwrap machine. Know what we actually use it for? Back stock and occaisionally wrapping something up for display (live PSOne games, inwhich we actually DID remove the previous label and wrapped the game up--makes it easier to do price changes in the future. Label on the outside of the wrap).
Or even for a customer. I've had customers buy used, or even a gutted copy of a new game (ohno, display box) as a gift, and actually request that I shrinkwrap it for them, for whatever reasons they might have had.

I agree with gizmogc here, EB/GS employees would much, MUCH rather sell you a used game over a new. In fact, it's the biggest things employees are judged on at the current moment--even moreso than the discount card/subscription.
I understand the logic of a previous poster with the general "less loss on new product"(profit is another beast entirely, there's maybe a $1-5 profit/game on new for the company) , but it simply is not true, in the very least at this moment in time. Many things come into play, such as any possible manufacturer refunds to the company after price drops, and the fact that the profit being gained through any used sales make up for all of it anyhow.

Any employee, current of former, will tell you that it is all used, used, used. There's no reason to switch the two. The only thing I can see, was maybe, if anything, it was for the employee's personal gain? Some rare title or what not they fixed up to look new, to buy it at the end of the day, only to set it up on eBay? I don't know, I'm really grasping here.

I think half these people secretly work for eb and take this kind of thing to heart why else would they be so suspicious over a report that HELPS US .

If I found out a store in my area was doing this I wouldnt wanna buy any "new" games there .
Seems like the kind of thing that should end up on alot of video gameboards and websites. People do like news like this not everyone is a leach who only visits websites for prices n leaves without any input.

HeY MaYbE ShE WaS DoIn HeR hAiR!
:hot:

[quote name='gizmogc']They don't do that, you are an idiot.
Why would they make a USED game NEW? They make more MONEY off of a USED game. They can't just change their inventory either.[/quote]
DuHHhh!
if its a used game and they sell it as new then they will get more profity if its not really new think b4 you post.

No you got it all wrong. What they do with that machine is to wrap magazines and anything they have to rap.

In fact of the truth is they are making GameStop employees rap items that fresh from the box to prevent people from opening the contents.

They had that machine in there since GameStop moved in.

Insert (( Insane Laugh )) :applause:

[quote name='RegalSin2020']No you got it all wrong. What they do with that machine is to rap magazines and anything they have to rap.

In fact of the truth is they are making GameStop employees rap items that fresh from the box to prevent people from opening the contents.

They had that machine in there since GameStop moved in.

Insert (( Insane Laugh )) :applause:[/quote]

they "rap" everything?

parappa2-1.jpg

[quote name='Skelah']I think half these people secretly work for eb and take this kind of thing to heart why else would they be so suspicious over a report that HELPS US .

If I found out a store in my area was doing this I wouldnt wanna buy any "new" games there .
Seems like the kind of thing that should end up on alot of video gameboards and websites. People do like news like this not everyone is a leach who only visits websites for prices n leaves without any input.

HeY MaYbE ShE WaS DoIn HeR hAiR!
:hot:[/QUOTE]
Every GS/EB has a shrinkwrap machine. Usually in the back room.

As far as being suspicious, GS/EB treats their employees like complete shit, and I really see no reason to defend them. I just hate seeing people get worked up over something that, at least in most cases (and if it truly did, that employee is a goddamn idiot), just doesn't happen.

There's no way that they would make more money off of a new game than a used game. The margin is so small for making money off of a new game ($5 if they're lucky), with used games it's nearly 100% profit as they're giving you imaginary "store credit" to browse around the store with. Why the hell do you think they push the Edge card and used game sales so much?

[quote name='Scorch']There's no way that they would make more money off of a new game than a used game. The margin is so small for making money off of a new game ($5 if they're lucky), with used games it's nearly 100% profit as they're giving you imaginary "store credit" to browse around the store with. Why the hell do you think they push the Edge card and used game sales so much?[/QUOTE]

1,000 threads a month and yet we always seem to end up at square one all the time. Amazing how some people just don't get it.

[quote name='Scahom1']1,000 threads a month and yet we always seem to end up at square one all the time. Amazing how some people just don't get it.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

I understand what you guys are saying, but i am not saying "OMG TEH EB AND GAMESTOP SUXXXX" I am only stating what i saw happening in a store. I understand why it's getting flamed, but i just wanted to know if anyone had seen it happen before, that is all.

Yes, it will screw up the inventory but a certain amount of shrink happens at most stores whether it be theft or simply lost/misplaced merchandise. If it doesn't happen enough to raise red flags then people will mark used as new. It makes the gross sales look a bit better even with the shrink.

I used to always buy games new.. then one day I was at EBgames and wanted to buy StarFox Adventures.. the guy kept trying to push me to buy used.. but I was set on getting it new and when I opened it up it didn't have any of it's inserts and a slightly beat up instruction manual.. I went through a period of buying all my games used after that.. was years ago though..

bread's done
Back