Ebay bans ps3/presale auctions

nelsonkv5.jpg

HAH-HAH!

Well, you are not allowed to sell items that you don't have on hand, so I am not suprised by this at all.

Is it better to sell one on oct18th, launch day, or maybe near black friday/ christmas? I have one pre-ordered and I fully intend to resell this bug-filled system to the next sucker that wants it. Hopefully eBay will buy me a Wii =)

Ebay has trouble reading its own policies. Their presale policy says you must ship the item within 30 days of the END OF THE AUCTION. If I start a 10 day auction right now, it will end on the 22nd and within 30 days the PS3 is releasing.

Ah, I did not know that, Seth.
Keep in mind though, EB/GS were sure to point out these pre-orders are not guaranteed.

[quote name='Zoglog']what's wrong with selling the console after you pick it up?[/QUOTE]

Nothing. The problem is the $ amount. I gurantee you a fraction of this community buys clearance games and other items and sells them on eBay. The ones who whine about selling a PS3 being immoral are those who focus on this $ amount, not the act itself. This world is built around profit and if you want to make any you have to take chances. Don't come on here like your saints and bash the rest of us for taking advantage of this. If you're not out for profit you take your pre-order or launch day system and go play with Jesus. There is nothing wrong with making profit. What is wrong are the people who make shit loads of money for sitting on their ass. I live in a one income household, teacher income, and if I can get some lazy ass fucker on the west coast or east coast (typically more income, so don't take offense if you live here) to pay twice as much for a PS3 to pay for his/hers and my PS3 I'm doing it.

isnt the whle point of an auction is to sell an item at what the market will bear? i mean if you place the ps3 at $1500 BIN, thats not right. but if you have it listed at $250 to start, whats the big deal? Both the seller and ebay are providing a service.
If i want to buy a new/sealed copy of NES Zelda, Ill pay over $300 bucks for it, when really in a store, it would be in the $0.99 rack.
Now i really wish i had a preorder!!!!

PS, any trades for Phoenix Wright? I bought it to check it out, not my cup of tea. Looking for StarFox DS or NSMB.

lol wow by the way if anyone bought one with the intention of doing that I'll buy it from you for $850.00 lol i wasnt able to get one

[quote name='neudog']Nothing. The problem is the $ amount. I gurantee you a fraction of this community buys clearance games and other items and sells them on eBay. The ones who whine about selling a PS3 is immoral are those who focus on this $ amount, not the act itself. This world is built around profit and if you want to make any you have to take chances. Don't come on here like your saints and bash the rest of us for taking advantage of this. If you're not out for profit you take your pre-order or launch day system and go play with Jesus. There is nothing wrong with making profit. What is wrong are the people who make shit loads of money for sitting on their ass. I live in a one income household, teacher income, and if I can get some lazy ass fucker on the west coast or east coast (typically more income, so don't take offense if you live here) to pay twice as much for a PS3 to pay for his/hers and my PS3 I'm doing it.[/quote]

Amen

While this will reduce the overall price of PS3 auctions, you will still make good money listing a PS3 on launch day. I listed two PS2s on launch day back in 2000 and made over $250 profit (after fees) on both sales. That was before BIN existed.

I would guess that you will still make $300 - $500 profit on a PS3 selling it on launch day.

Hah. Good job E-Bay and Sony. Take that assholes (not that it much matters, since sales will still be $1000+).

[quote name='Kayden']I wonder how many preorder cancelations this'll lead to. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

None, people will just sell them after the release. The holidays are just around the corner.

they'll still go for 1200...who cares. I think they'll go for MORE on launch day cause so many people won't get one. Right now there are still people that havent tried bidding on ebay for one yet cause they still think they can get one...so I think the prices will remain the same anyway.

I think Spades is right. Theres probably people out there that think its gonna be as simple as jumping in the car and going to the store on launch day.

[quote name='musicnoteless']Is it better to sell one on oct18th, launch day, or maybe near black friday/ christmas? I have one pre-ordered and I fully intend to resell this bug-filled system to the next sucker that wants it. Hopefully eBay will buy me a Wii =)[/QUOTE]

From my X-box 360 experience last year, I'd say right when it comes out. I sold my first one for over 1500 on the day after launch, and sold another one for about 800 about a week before Christmas.

With the way the X-box 360 went last year (more quantity, probably less demand than PS3 will have just because Sony is Sony), going for over 2,000 around launch, I wouldn't be surprised to see the PS3s hit 2,500 for a day or a few days. 1,200 is a huge understatement.

[quote name='Spades22']I plan on starting my bid at 2000$. Any buyers?[/QUOTE]

I'll bid on yours if you bid on mine...j/k :rofl: Good luck getting this amount. My goal is to make a little over double so I might be able to get a game as well. If it got anywhere $2000 I think I would flip the fuck out.

haha me too man if I got 2 ps3's and made 1500 US on each...dang I wouldnt even have to work this summer LOL! that would be sooo awesome...although even if I make 1500 on 2 units I'm happy. even 1000...

[quote name='thebob101']Amen[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I think some of you are taking this eBay selling way to personal. I could see if someone tried to do that here with a PS3, but it is eBay; though some CAG's do do this exact thing on a smaller level with games and you know who you are. If anyone is real worried about some poor sap bidding on this by all means save him. Everyone buying a high end item knows the retail price before buying and if they don't they're fucking idiots. This being said anyone bidding over $700 on a PS3 really wants one on launch or has too much damn money. Those are the facts and nothing can change that.

I think you could say eBay sellers are evil only if every single auction was a 2x inflated buy it now

but when many sellers post no reserve 1 cent auctions, and they get to those inflated prices, that means there's obviously a demand.

So if I one cent no reserve a PS3, am I evil because it went to 1500? I didn't make it go to 1500, I was technically accepting I MIGHT have to let go of it at a cent plus shipping.

But when the bidders take it to 1500, that's not my fault, that's their choice.

[quote name='sarausagi']I think you could say eBay sellers are evil only if every single auction was a 2x inflated buy it now

But when the bidders take it to 1500, that's not my fault, that's their choice.[/QUOTE]

With that logic, you shouldn't have a problem with someone posting a $1,200 Buy It Now since the end buyer chooses to pay that price, same as the highest bidder in a normal auction.

Jacking up prices on eBay is not an asshole thing to do, as the end buyer chooses to pay the price. If it's too high (the cost), no one will buy it. However, even if it's extremely high and someone still chooses to purchase it then it's the personal choice of the buyer.

[quote name='CheapyD']Well, you are not allowed to sell items that you don't have on hand, so I am not suprised by this at all.[/QUOTE]

You ever seen ebay? type any almost anything thats due out in the future media wise, and you will see presale auctions. I think they only reason there not allowing it is because a lot of people probaly got dicked out of their money with false preorders for 360.

I agree with Seth - this "news" is basically worthless, as it just means that PS3 pre-orders need to be delayed by a week or two - and I would consider neither of these sources as highly credible (I don't believe that ebay is banning accounts about this without other shadiness occuring as well)

I get a kick out of this from the first article:
Secondly, the act is unethical (more subjective, but think about the definition of ethical) because it is not honorable nor moral to buy a system with the full intent of making a profit off of someone who is desperately trying to get a hold of the system (maybe their job hinges on getting the system for some odd reason).
That's right - earning a profit by taking advantage of marketplace supply-and-demand is not honorable nor moral unless you are a huge corporation that sets retail prices. Also, anyone thinking of "scalping" a PS3 should restrain themselves and think of that mythical guy whose job depends on getting a PS3 - hey, his kids need to eat!

If Sony really wanted to do something about resellers making a huge profit they could just say that purchasing a PS3 from a non-authorized Sony retailer voids the manufacturers warranty.

People would have to be nuts to drop $1500 or whatever on a game machine from a company with a history of problems with their launch batch. Just wait a few months and buy at MSRP or get your pre-order in in time.

[quote name='paddlefoot']If Sony really wanted to do something about resellers making a huge profit they could just say that purchasing a PS3 from a non-authorized Sony retailer voids the manufacturers warranty.[/QUOTE]

The doctine of first sale under US common law makes that unpossible for Sony. If they even tried it they would be investigated buy the FTC and face civil lawsuits. And the last thing Sony needs is bad press. And they really don't care about systems being eBayed, chances are someone that is buying a $1000 system is going to buy and assload of games and accessories. So Sony is happy. It isn't like Microsoft is buying up PS3s en masse and throwing them into a wood-chipper. Remember that Sony is loosing significant money on each PS3 sold, and as a company NEEDS this system AND Blu-Ray to be successful, for the company to maintain dominance in consumer electronics, and maybe even to survive. If Microsoft were to buy up 200,000 PS3s and then wood-chipper them, that would be an amazing stategic move on their part.

[quote name='captainfrizo']With that logic, you shouldn't have a problem with someone posting a $1,200 Buy It Now since the end buyer chooses to pay that price, same as the highest bidder in a normal auction.

Jacking up prices on eBay is not an asshole thing to do, as the end buyer chooses to pay the price. If it's too high (the cost), no one will buy it. However, even if it's extremely high and someone still chooses to purchase it then it's the personal choice of the buyer.[/QUOTE]

Come launch, I am selling my PS3s for $1,200 Buy-It-Now, with instant payment specified, only from eBayes with 10+ feedback, in the US or Japan (if it is region free, let's not forget all the people importing from the land of Godzilla). 100% profit is enough for me, or any non-greedy person.

[quote name='BrandonOne']Come launch, I am selling my PS3s for $1,200 Buy-It-Now, with instant payment specified, only from eBayes with 10+ feedback, in the US or Japan (if it is region free, let's not forget all the people importing from the land of Godzilla). 100% profit is enough for me, or any non-greedy person.[/quote]

If I can get my hands on one that is my thought exactly. Just in case there is some sort of defect that causes houses to burn down and locust plagues I sell mine for a tidy sum and pay for my Wii and games. I will then get one when they eventually are in stock and have the kinks worked out in them (probably mid march before they are in stock most places)

[quote name='BrandonOne']The doctine of first sale under US common law makes that unpossible for Sony. If they even tried it they would be investigated buy the FTC and face civil lawsuits. And the last thing Sony needs is bad press. And they really don't care about systems being eBayed, chances are someone that is buying a $1000 system is going to buy and assload of games and accessories. So Sony is happy. It isn't like Microsoft is buying up PS3s en masse and throwing them into a wood-chipper. Remember that Sony is loosing significant money on each PS3 sold, and as a company NEEDS this system AND Blu-Ray to be successful, for the company to maintain dominance in consumer electronics, and maybe even to survive. If Microsoft were to buy up 200,000 PS3s and then wood-chipper them, that would be an amazing stategic move on their part.[/QUOTE]

Every electronics company does this...

This news just means that on launch day there will be a TON of systems on eBay. Oh well, I'm listing mine with real pictures for a 3 day auction as soon as I get it. BIN of $1,999.99 (and free shipping, of course :D).

[quote name='javeryh']This news just means that on launch day there will be a TON of systems on eBay. Oh well, I'm listing mine with real pictures for a 3 day auction as soon as I get it. BIN of $1,999.99 (and free shipping, of course :D).[/quote]

Making up the difference in switching jobs already? ;)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Making up the difference in switching jobs already? ;)[/quote]

I've got to start somewhere! :D

[quote name='CheapyD']Well, you are not allowed to sell items that you don't have on hand, so I am not suprised by this at all.[/QUOTE]

Then WTF is up wilh the billions of pre-order auctions on Ebay?

I'm kinda on the fence, yes it's unethical, but it shouldn't be illegal. Especially because it's the PS3 we're talking about.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Then WTF is up wilh the billions of pre-order auctions on Ebay?

I'm kinda on the fence, yes it's unethical, but it shouldn't be illegal. Especially because it's the PS3 we're talking about.[/QUOTE]

They can't clear them all 24/7, so every once in awhile there is a build up and then they get taken down AFAIK.

[quote name='screwkick']One more reason to hate flea-bay.[/quote]

Not sure why. It's a very good policy and I'm glad they're enforcing it.

bread's done
Back