Ebay scam?

theeipi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
So I sold a game on EBAY new and sealed. Today I got the following email:

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]"Has the game been shipped yet?"

I had shipped it Monday and told him as much.

Later I got this:

"
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana]I received the package today. One major problem, there is no DVD's or instruction book. I only received the game case. The package you shipped in was fine. What happened? I am very upset right now. I will wait for your reply before I go through Ebay."

Am I being ripped off? I remember buying the game myself and never opening it.

I have 100% positive feedback. The other guy has 174 positive and 2 negative though. In the past year, however, he has only 8 and all are positive.

What should I do? I offered to refund money if they ship it back. I'm not a business though, and can't afford to eat that loss. I'm just a guy who sometimes buys too many games and sometimes buys an extra to defray cost of one he bought.
[/FONT]

I say its BS, I have opened hundreds of sealed DVD's and never once found nothing inside, you could tell if you picked up an empty case... you'd caught it yourself I imagine..

two words... Scam Artist...

How much did the package weigh when you sent it? A PS2/XBOX game with disc, case and manual, will weigh about 5-6 oz. If you used a bubble mailer it would have came out to around 7oz to ship.

If you do accept the game back make sure to have the buyer also send back the original packaging with shipping label intact. Then check to see if the weights add up.

Sounds like a scam. What was the game? I'd tell the buyer to go take it up with the manufacturer who will replace damaged/missing discs.

I was given a PS1 game one time from a friend still factory sealed when I opened it up nothing was in it sadly it was way to late to get a return on it.

( my friend gave me the game like 2 months after he bought it he's very forgetful ;) )

It's possible the DVD case was legitimately empty. I have had this happen a couple times with CDs that I have purchased. I returned each of them for a refund without a hassle. Have the winner send you the DVD case and return it for a refund.

This happened to me once before. I bought a new game from WalMart and there was nothing inside. Just a Manual. I returned it immediately for another copy. Another time my Grandfather bought a Frank Sinatra CD and there was some other cd in the case.

I would do what ofacto says though, that sounds pretty logical to me.

Yeah I've also bought a sealed dvd once to find no disc inside. Luckily the online store I bought it from sent me a new one, but I've heard plenty of stories of this happening with games, and the stores making you call manufacturer to resolve it.

I have also opened a couple games with no disk inside- all of which legitimate seals. I never had it happen with any cd's or DVD's, but one of each was cracked completely when opened. it does happen, though. not very often but it is quite possible. unless the game was $40+, I would probably believe him.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I think it's part of the risk of selling sealed items on EBay. There is no way to tell if the buyer is lying or not.[/QUOTE]

But there is a sealed dvd/game weighs between 4-6oz (8-10oz for double discs)

OP if you can find the shipping weight then you'll know. If it weight under 4 ounces it probably was empty from the getgo.

Even if he's a scammer ebay is probably going to make you refund his payment so long as he ships the item back to you, the guy clearly isn't an idiot but his email seems a bit composed for someone who just discovered their item is defective.

Anyhow just check up on him and make sure he isn't stupid enough to try and resell your disk only on ebay using the same account.

My advice is to withhold feedback as long as possible.

Did you offer insurance? Did he accept it? If not it's a tough loss. Also, did you send it delivery confirmation or track it in any way (this is what eBay/PayPal uses in disputes) If not your screwed when it comes to disputes.

Here is how I got burned:
I returned a crap item one time to a shipper who "agreed to a refund" BUT the guy said he never got it, when I know good and damn well he did. Because I didn't "track" the return I was screwed. The seller even taunted me over it. I sent all the emails to eBay/PayPal and they didn't care, only the tracking and packing evidence counts in a dispute. Now I am stuck with a phoney NEG feedback and ( have 1 NEG and 93 positive where as the seller has 22 NEG and 5k positive and my score looks worse).

If you offered insurance and they declined then it's just a sad deal; Or if you have the receipt and it's recent you could try and get a replacement game from the manufacturer or retail store but fat chance it has been more than a week.

My advice:
Be apologetic but stick with the 'caveat emptor' line as he could seriously be trying to rip you off. It's an easy claim to make is it is not that unheard of to have this happen.

Treat eBay like a grey-market as that is what it is about 1/2 the time.
Always offer insurance on a sale, always do delievery confirmation at a minimum and for FTLOG track if it's over $40 for your own protection.

I bought a game on eBay once that was new and sealed, but when I got it the bottom of the wrap had been cut open with a razor blade and the game wasn't there. Did you buy this game new in stores, or off of the net? Because somebody may have pulled that one on you and you not notice.

Yeah, I always make sure there is the telltale disc rattle when I buy something and again if I sell it. I did get an empty game from a GR store once but it was an obvious re-seal and I think they just sold me their display copy (it was stickered for sale - probably just a dumbass employee). Ever since then I check the rattle.

PSP games you can see inside the case. DS and sealed GBA games you never know, of course, and I don't think weight would help you there (especially on DS).

Insurance is great and all, but insignificant as far as PayPal is concerned. If he files via PayPal they will just ask him to send it back with DC and you will have to refund when you get it. If he removed the disc before sending it back, there's nothing you can do.

I would try to convince him to contact the publisher. They would be the ones responsible for a TRULY empty new/sealed game - not the store you bought it from. Depending on the publisher they may send him another disc.

What worries me is that he is one of those "did you mail it yet" buyers. I HATE those types, because it smells of a scam setup. The buyer gets a notice from PayPal if you use PayPal shipping plus I send another directly through email after I drop it off. When I get an email a week later asking "if I shipped yet", it always pisses me off and worries me. I figure they are setting you up for a non-DC delivery chargeback. When the item comes with DC, then they can't file for non-delivery, but if they are smart, they will scam you in the way this guy did (It got there fine, but was damaged in some way).

Anyway, sorry I'm not really helpful. It certainly is a *slim* possibility it was empty but if you don't remember checking it (the rattle) or the weight (because he said no manual or game so that would make it very light) I'm not sure there's anything you can do. Hell, even if you were sure the game was in there what can you do? (Except in that case you'd know for sure he was a scammer).

He's clearly just hoping you will refund him (with a not so veiled threat to "go through ebay" if not). I would at least make him go through the PayPal process of sending it back if he won't agree to call the publisher. I had a guy once get mad at me because he claimed the game I sold him was all in French. It turns out his kid had set it that way somehow and after I convinced him to talk to Ubisoft he got it straightened out. But he was pretty confrontational about it up front - like I did it on purpose :roll:.

This guy is the same way but a little less rude about it, which as someone else says, may indicate he knows exactly "what is happening". If not, it is a wierd thing to ask you "what happened?". Like you would try to sell empty games to people - always a good way to keep going on ebay.

[quote name='io']This guy is the same way but a little less rude about it, which as someone else says, may indicate he knows exactly "what is happening". If not, it is a wierd thing to ask you "what happened?". Like you would try to sell empty games to people - always a good way to keep going on ebay.[/quote]That and the "I am very upset right now" are red flags to me. Now we're going on the OPs statement that the game was sealed, and we're assuming that's a factory seal. That being the case, I'd definately find the USPS receipt with the package weight and my initial response would be along the lines of:

"Thank you for contacting me. I too am curious as to what happened. The game I sent was factory sealed and the USPS receipt showing the weight of the mailed game was X ounces, definately indicating the game and instructions were included in the case.

You did mention that the game arrived in good packaging, so I have to assume that means the game arrived still sealed in an untampered envelope.

How the case could possibly be empty when still sealed, I truly do not know. Perhaps you have a theory? Or possibly further details which may shed some light on this. As it stands, the back of the gamecase will have the manufacturers address, they most likely will be able to assist you with your report of an empty/incomplete sealed package."

Unless of course the OP didn't send a sealed game or can't find his/her shipping receipt with the weight.

Unrelated: I have family in Dutchess County.

Ive bought a game from Media Play a while back. Sealed, and even had the Sony sticker on it still. Opened it up and no disk or manual inside. So this may not be a scam. I would refund his money and have him send you it back.

His feedback seems good (unless the 2 negatives were about the same thing he says to you). Just do the right thing and refund his money, and then contact wherever you purchased the game from and see if they can do anything about it. (Doubt it)

Yeah, I think I'll just have to take the loss on this.

I do remember that when I shipped that game, 1 package was $1.59 and the other was $1.8*. Those rates are fairly standard for me, depending on game. A third game was shipped that day at a rate of like $1.3* (I think). Although I don't know what game that was for sure, I do remember thinking that that seemed low.

I'm guessing that someone opened, took game, re-shrink wrapped, and then returned it to Circuit City.

[quote name='theeipi']I do remember that when I shipped that game, 1 package was $1.59 and the other was $1.8*. Those rates are fairly standard for me, depending on game. A third game was shipped that day at a rate of like $1.3* (I think). Although I don't know what game that was for sure, I do remember thinking that that seemed low.[/quote]

That price sounds about right for a game w/ the disc & instructions. Sounds like he's just scamming you.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']
Did you offer insurance? Did he accept it? If not it's a tough loss. [/QUOTE]

The seller is responsible for insuring that the item gets to the customer as described. Insurance protects the seller, not the buyer.

My personal rule for ebay is, never sell new stuff.

I'd say he's scammin' ya, but theres probably no way to get out of it unfortunatley.

[quote name='theeipi']Yeah, I think I'll just have to take the loss on this.
I'm guessing that someone opened, took game, re-shrink wrapped, and then returned it to Circuit City.[/QUOTE]
I wonder what CC would say if you returned it and told them that it was empty when you opened it. Is there any precedent for this happening?

I would ask for a return and see if he uses delivery confirmation... if not then claim you never received it. Also to dispute what was posted if you offered insurance and the buyer did not purchase it but you had delivery confirmation by ebay's rules you would win the dispute (has happened to me with new dvds I sold... one which was purchased at FYE and the seller claimed was replaced with a bootleg)

When you picked up the case, you should have been able to hear the disc rattling anyway, no?

Anyway, next time you sell games on ebay, you can sell them as brand new, just opened for inspection. Most people buy them that way, and it is rather logical.

Also, you can return the game to CC, and tell them there was nothing inside... it might take an hour's arguing, but still, you will either get a new one or your money back... that is... assuming you still have the reciept.

I would say it is 50/50 that he is either scamming or being honest.

What you do all depends on how much you value your feedback, and how often you sell on ebay. If the answer to both of these is ALOT, I would take it back. Make sure he ships it back with tracking. Then take it up with CC and if that fails, the manufacturer/game publisher.

It's a scam, do not refund. Don't leave feedback and it will probably never get to eBay or Paypal. I would email the person back and say that the game was factory sealed when you sent the item. I have had tons of buyers try to scam me. Always use DC and include insurance in the S & H. I would also state that insurance and DC are included in your description of the item.

[quote name='theeipi']Yeah, I think I'll just have to take the loss on this.

I do remember that when I shipped that game, 1 package was $1.59 and the other was $1.8*. Those rates are fairly standard for me, depending on game. A third game was shipped that day at a rate of like $1.3* (I think). Although I don't know what game that was for sure, I do remember thinking that that seemed low.

I'm guessing that someone opened, took game, re-shrink wrapped, and then returned it to Circuit City.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to say, but that $1.30 package sounds about right for an EMPTY game case + envelope.

A DVD style game case with cover art weighs 3 oz. It costs $0.39 an oz to mail something first class, it would come out to $1.17 + the weight of the envelope. Since they do exact postage at the PO it would probably come out to around $1.30. The only problem is you don't remember what was in that package.

US first class rates (no delivery confirmation)
0z Cost
1* $0.39
2 0.63
3 0.87
4 1.11
5 1.35
6 1.59
7 1.83

Most of the PS2 games I've shipped in a number 0 bubble wrap envelope (the one just big enough for a DVD /game case) have been in 5.3-5.9 oz range. Some with thicker instruction manuals or two disks have weigh around 6.5-6.9 oz. A single disk and small instruction booklet (say 4-8 pages) might only weigh 1 oz by themselves.

You could weigh the case itself with a scale (ask post office if they would or if you have one) without the case, see what the price is.

Then add some DVD or cd and see what the shipping is after THAT'S been weighed and see if there's a price difference (if you remember what you paid for shipping, that is).

[quote name='K_G']US first class rates (no delivery confirmation)
0z Cost
1* $0.39
2 0.63
3 0.87
4 1.11
5 1.35
6 1.59
7 1.83

Most of the PS2 games I've shipped in a number 0 bubble wrap envelope (the one just big enough for a DVD /game case) have been in 5.3-5.9 oz range. Some with thicker instruction manuals or two disks have weigh around 6.5-6.9 oz. A single disk and small instruction booklet (say 4-8 pages) might only weigh 1 oz by themselves.[/quote]

That is awesome to know the price per ounce. Thanks for posting!

a complete sealed game will generally weight between 5 and 7 ounces. dont forget they round up on the weight. basically, this means it will cost at least $1.59 generally to mail a complete game with a small flimsy mailer. if you used a bubble mailer, it will be a bit more.

[quote name='banpeikun']ebay is more "sellers beware" than "buyers beware" because paypal always sides with the buyer.[/quote]

I agree, especially if you are in the right and provide paypal with everything the ask for. They still side with the buyer.

bread's done
Back