eBay: What's the point of leaving feedback for buyers anymore?

Kerig

Target won BF'23 w/$350 consoles
Feedback
85 (100%)
I noticed something recently that has probably been there for a while but it's relatively new for me.

Sellers CANNOT leave negative feedback for bad buyers!

I've been with eBay for 15 years, and always felt the strange shift of it going from 50/50 to leaning more and more heavily towards buyers, but this is a new low.

In the past few months, I've sold a small number of things on eBay with zero problems doing buy-it-now, but ONE item in particular I wanted to go the old classic auction route due to its rareness.  TWICE now, I've listed it as an auction and both times the winning bidders, completely different people, never paid for the item.

1st guy won on Friday, said on Monday that he'd have to pay that next Friday. I said no problem, then never heard from him again.

2nd guy, who won the item for almost $10 cheaper than the 1st, never communicated at all.

I filed non-paying bidder requests and got my fees back, but when it came time to give negative feedback for these morons, I realized two things:

1. Negative feedback is not an available option.

2. Any feedback is not an option once you file a non-paying bidder claim.

So after experiencing that, I've come to this conclusion:

If I, as a seller, cannot leave negative feedback when needed, then I shouldn't bother leaving positive feedback just for the fact that the seller actually paid for the item they bought.

Now I completely understand why I never get feedback from sellers until AFTER I leave them feedback.  It's become a "thank you for actually leaving me feedback" tip.  From this point forward, I will treat feedback as a one-way street that has absolutely nothing to do with buying and should only count for items sold.

Funny note: the 1st deadbeat winner's feedback history was over 20, all positive except for two: the only two times he tried to sell anything.  Both of those were horrible negatives.  I wonder now, how many times he's bid and won on items and then walked away...

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been this way for awhile.

I would suggest changing your listings so that people with "X" unpaid item strikes can't bid. I don't ever do auctions so I don't know what the upper and lower limits are for this but I know you can at least use it to keep the worse of the worse from making bids.

Edit: and I understand why eBay doesn't allow it---because I'm sure it turned into novice seller leaving buyer negative feedback because buyer left novice seller negative feedback for mistakes he doesn't recognize he made like:

"I mailed the item... it's the P.O. fault your package got lost---not mine"

or

"I don't accept returns... why do is eBay making me take the item back"

Most small volume sellers would leave retaliatory feedback for buyers if the buyer left them feedback first in the above instances when 90% of the time (100% in the first example) it is the sellers fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly why i never do Auctions.  Its either Buy it now or nothing at all.  Look at the market then plan it out.  That being said, I didnt even know about the negative feedback thing... its disturbing actually, almost like ebay goes towards the buyers 100%

bread's done
Back