Ebgames.com refunding sales tax in form of $1 coupon

Renegade_Zero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Got a wierd email from ebgames.com today
Dear Valued Customer:

It has come to our attention that GameStop Games mistakenly over-collected sales tax on some purchases by our California customers at EBGames.com. The error concerns California's rules on the taxation of shipping costs. Many California customers did not pay too much tax, and for those who did, the overpayment was usually in the range of $0.01 to $0.50. All taxes collected by GameStop Games on shipping charges were paid to the State Board of Equalization. That is, GameStop Games did not retain any of the taxes it collected or otherwise benefit from the mistake.

To remedy any possible over-collection of taxes, GameStop Games is giving each of its potentially affected California customers a $1.00 coupon that is good towards a purchase at EBGames.com. For coupon code and redemption instructions, please see below. Alternatively, if you would rather have any overpayment of taxes that you may have made refunded to you, GameStop Games will refund any amounts that you overpaid. To obtain a refund (if an overpayment was made), it will be necessary to provide GameStop Games with proof of the amount of sales tax collected on the shipping portion of the purchase. Refund Requests should be sent to: EBGames.com Customer Service, 625 Westport Parkway, Grapevine, Texas, 76051, Attention: Shipping Tax Refund Request. GameStop Games will process the request, and if it over-collected sales tax on the purchase, it will refund any amounts it over-collected. As stated, the amount of the refund, if any, will likely be less than $0.50.

EBGames.com Customer Service

Your $1.00 Coupon Code: (edited out)

To redeem:

1. Go to www.ebgames.com and add desired product(s) to your cart.

2. Enter coupon code in cart where indicated.

3. Click "Activate" and proceed to checkout.

4. Your discount will be applied on final confirmation page.

Terms and conditions: Only 1 discount per order. Coupon code may not be combined with other offers or promotions. May not be used with "bundled" items. Offer good online only; not valid in stores. Coupon valid only at EBGames.com. Coupon code must be redeemed by January 1, 2007.

Anyone else get anything like this? Thought it was kinda funny seeing as I haven't ordered anything from either site since last march 2005.

Wow... fuck Gamestop / EB.

Terms and conditions: Only 1 discount per order. Coupon code may not be combined with other offers or promotions.

So basacially, you're choosing between the 10% off, or $1 off. That coupon is basacially worthless unless someone finds something cheaper then $10 they'd actually want off the website.

I just got an email for this... but I never purchased anything off their website. Perhaps they're just giving it to all Ca registered members?

[quote name='Roufuss']Wow... fuck Gamestop / EB.

So basacially, you're choosing between the 10% off, or $1 off. That coupon is basacially worthless unless someone finds something cheaper then $10 they'd actually want off the website.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Gamestop's deal all along has been one code per order and sadly eb.com switched to that system after the merge. Basically everything that makes Gamestop's site suck carried over to eb.com :cry:

[quote name='wubb']Yeah, Gamestop's deal all along has been one code per order and sadly eb.com switched to that system after the merge. Basically everything that makes Gamestop's site suck carried over to eb.com :cry:[/quote]

Yep. I haven't bought anything online from them since January becasue of this and I don't intend to start now. I hope people start buying from alternative sources and maybe Gamestop will get the hint.

EBGames blows now that they merged with gamestop. No Edge card online (which is the reason I bought the fucking thing) and games arent guaranteed to be complete. No thanks.

I got the same thing today. Even if you think you might have been charged more than $1, it's gonna take a 39 cent stamp to prove it.

The fact that you can't combine this oh-so-generous offer with other coupon codes just adds insult to injury.

I'm still mad that the new EB site won't take the old EB trade-in credit codes. I sent a message to their so-called customer service a week ago and haven't heard back. I still had some credit that I was saving for buying stuff that never drops in price (like most Atlus games).

[quote name='FFMooglestar']I've used "SAVER" on all of my orders and I still got the $1.00 coupon.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I don't think I've ever paid for shipping on my purchases from EBgames.com... and yet I still got this coupon.

myke - :rofl:

If you use a gift card code can you then not use a coupon code along with it? I thought that's how gamestop worked, but I can't remember for sure.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Yep. I haven't bought anything online from them since January becasue of this and I don't intend to start now. I hope people start buying from alternative sources and maybe Gamestop will get the hint.[/QUOTE]

I would love to know if their sales have dropped off since the merge or not. I haven't bought anything since eb switched up all their policies either.

For some odd reason, EB deleted my account. Apparently, some accounts were accidentally deleted when they updated their system recently. Since they can't be bothered to restore my account, I figure they don't want my business anymore.

[quote name='Machine']For some odd reason, EB deleted my account. Apparently, some accounts were accidentally deleted when they updated their system recently. Since they can't be bothered to restore my account, I figure they don't want my business anymore.[/quote]

yea my account got deleted as well. i have always noticed they charge taxes on shipping and complained about it. i also notice amazon.com doing the same thing so i thought they should charge tax on shipping and the complain stopped. for all the stuff i bought from them, it's more than just $1. anyway i most likely would not use that generous dollar until i find something $10 or cheaper on there with free shipping.

[quote name='dude2003'] for all the stuff i bought from them, it's more than just $1. [/quote]

What they are very clever about not exactly saying is that the amount of overcharge is probably less than one dollar per order.

I just went through my online history, and I was overcharged any time I actually paid for shipping (which is now called "Handling" and not a shipping fee -- is someone afraid of a lawsuit, or what?).

Total for three orders: 0.18 + 0.15 + 0.14 = $0.47

But, I pretty much used SAVER any time I could, buying mostly pre-owned games. If you used EBgames.com for preorders or non-preowned games a lot, you might have racked up well over a dollar.

[quote name='blandstalker']If you used EBgames.com for preorders or non-preowned games a lot, you might have racked up well over a dollar.[/quote]

yea i never buy pre-owned games from ebgames.com. i only buy new games from them. i'm pretty sure they have overcharged me a whole bunch.

id rather wipe my ass with a dollar, send it to ebgames corporate office with a note attached saying.... thank you, but it has come to my attention that you need this dollar far more than I do. Thank you, I will not be doing business with you again.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']id rather wipe my ass with a dollar, send it to ebgames corporate office with a note attached saying.... thank you, but it has come to my attention that you need this dollar far more than I do. Thank you, I will not be doing business with you again.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='BasketCase1080']id rather wipe my ass with a dollar, send it to ebgames corporate office with a note attached saying.... thank you, but it has come to my attention that you need this dollar far more than I do. Thank you, I will not be doing business with you again.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

bread's done
Back