EBgames contest: win DDR Mario Mix on Nov. 5

banpeikun

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (100%)
Saw this at my EB games last week sometime. It says you can visit their website, but I can't find anything about it on EBgames.com. Here's the flyer:

ddr.jpg

[quote name='Cmosfm']Sounds fun but know some Asian kid is gonna swoop in and flat out maul everyone. :([/QUOTE]Find an EB in Arkansas or West Virginia or something, haha. But I don't think this contest is advertised very well, plus DDR Mario is quite easy (I doubt they have all the difficulty settings unlocked for the contest) so anyone who's played it or any DDR has a good chance to win.

I'm going to be in Champaign visiting friends at U of I. And one of my friends has an apartment a mere two blocks from an EB! :) I'm definitely winning me the game!

[quote name='Battousai1002']Cool. Do you know if this is for Gamestops too, since Gamestops appear in their store locator now.[/QUOTE]

really they do?

well, i would enter, but i just dont think i could win, im sure there is someone better than me, because if there isnt well then sacramento has the worst ddr players in the nation

a kid asked about this at my local ebgames. the eb guy said that its on the schedule and he's trying to get people to come in for this contest. he even told the kid to tell his friends about it and make sure to come in on saturday. i might go to watch the whole thing.

[quote name='banpeikun']Saw this at my EB games last week sometime. It says you can visit their website, but I can't find anything about it on EBgames.com. [/QUOTE]

Well it only mentions using the website to find your local EB. Still it would be smart of them to cross promote it online to get as many butts to the stores as possible.

Does anyone know the tourney setup? Are they going by best song, by score? Also, to those of you with the game, how would you rate the hardest song? What I mean is, what old DDR song would be of comparable difficulty to the hardest in Mario Mix?

Mmm I see.. Okay.. no one goes to the Maplewood EB ^^. I think I'm more tempted to watch than do it... it depends.

So they're just using a mat.. not arcade pads? I don't know.. just wondering. I mean if its difficulty is heavy .. no bars to hold? Or yea how is the judging? Skills, performance? eh? Just curious.

[quote name='1SwtDeception']Mmm I see.. Okay.. no one goes to the Maplewood EB ^^. I think I'm more tempted to watch than do it... it depends.

So they're just using a mat.. not arcade pads? I don't know.. just wondering. I mean if its difficulty is heavy .. no bars to hold? Or yea how is the judging? Skills, performance? eh? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Well, I would almost guess that they will be using the foam Mario mat that comes with the game. (Almost guarantee it.) So, if you use the bar (I don't) then you might have some problems. Then again, from what I've heard, the difficulty is cake, so there shouldn't be any need for metal mats anyway!

I also want to know the rules and such though.

[quote name='Rig']Well, I would almost guess that they will be using the foam Mario mat that comes with the game. (Almost guarantee it.) So, if you use the bar (I don't) then you might have some problems. Then again, from what I've heard, the difficulty is cake, so there shouldn't be any need for metal mats anyway!

I also want to know the rules and such though.[/QUOTE]

Yea.. that is common sense. Might as well tune up this weekend. Any EB employees have any word on how this goes?

What the fuck? How come there's never a burnout 3 or mario kart double dash tournament? Those are like the only two games that I'm really good at.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']What the fuck? How come there's never a burnout 3 or mario kart double dash tournament? Those are like the only two games that I'm really good at.[/QUOTE]

Actually, in the summer, EB and Nintendo had those Saturday things. One Saturday, they had MK:DD at the local EB for tourney.

[quote name='Rig']Actually, in the summer, EB and Nintendo had those Saturday things. One Saturday, they had MK:DD at the local EB for tourney.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my EB didn't run that. They're kind of lazy over there.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']What the fuck? How come there's never a burnout 3 or mario kart double dash tournament? Those are like the only two games that I'm really good at.[/QUOTE]

I know Gamecrazy use to host them.. don't think now they do.

[quote name='1SwtDeception']Mmm I see.. Okay.. no one goes to the Maplewood EB ^^. I think I'm more tempted to watch than do it... it depends.

So they're just using a mat.. not arcade pads? I don't know.. just wondering. I mean if its difficulty is heavy .. no bars to hold? Or yea how is the judging? Skills, performance? eh? Just curious.[/QUOTE]
I almost positive that they will be using mats and not arcade pads, meaning no bars to hold. I'm also guessing the judging will be based on your score. A fantastic attack is possible, but improbable since it's EB.

From what my friends at EB tell me, the copy you win will be the one that people have been playing on. I'm gonna go down and compete, but only cause I'm gonna trade it in that day if I win towards Guitar Hero

That sucks, the dance pad will probably be almost broken if not broken by the time it's over. That's figuring they will make you wear sneakers/shoes while playing even though it's a soft pad. At Best Buy when they had Ultramix 2 out to play, they said you had to wear sneakers/shoes to play even though it was a soft pad for liability reasons.

[quote name='Battousai1002']I almost positive that they will be using mats and not arcade pads, meaning no bars to hold. I'm also guessing the judging will be based on your score. A fantastic attack is possible, but improbable since it's EB.[/QUOTE]

I'm freaking slow to getting common sense. Anyhow if its the copy people are playing on that seems err nice.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']That sucks, the dance pad will probably be almost broken if not broken by the time it's over. That's figuring they will make you wear sneakers/shoes while playing even though it's a soft pad. At Best Buy when they had Ultramix 2 out to play, they said you had to wear sneakers/shoes to play even though it was a soft pad for liability reasons.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that yes, shoes will be worn. Fine with me though. I don't need another flimsy mat. ^_^

[quote name='Rig']Does anyone know the tourney setup? Are they going by best song, by score? Also, to those of you with the game, how would you rate the hardest song? What I mean is, what old DDR song would be of comparable difficulty to the hardest in Mario Mix?[/QUOTE]All the songs are pretty easy on the highest difficulty initially available (very hard). I'm somewhat of an amateur, I played DDR Max 2 for a month or so, and I can get an A on all the very hard songs on the first try or so. There was only one song that took me several tries to get an A on.

There's a higher difficulty 'super hard' you unlock for each song by beating it on very hard, but I doubt the store is going to go unlock all the songs for the tournament. IMO anyone who's played has a good chance to win, especially since not everyone knows about the tournament. Call ahead and make sure your EB is doing it.

[quote name='banpeikun']All the songs are pretty easy on the highest difficulty initially available (very hard). I'm somewhat of an amateur, I played DDR Max 2 for a month or so, and I can get an A on all the very hard songs on the first try or so. There was only one song that took me several tries to get an A on.

There's a higher difficulty 'super hard' you unlock for each song by beating it on very hard, but I doubt the store is going to go unlock all the songs for the tournament. IMO anyone who's played has a good chance to win, especially since not everyone knows about the tournament. Call ahead and make sure your EB is doing it.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not the greatest player in the world, but I've been playing for two years now. I wasn't really expecting anything difficult! (Which is why I think I'm gonna win!) Thanks for the reply.

If you can do heavies, expect to be walking home with the prize. The unlockable difficulties are *barely* standard from what I hear. There'll be a lot of 1-3 footers in play at the tournament I suspect.

[quote name='Logain8955']If you can do heavies, expect to be walking home with the prize. The unlockable difficulties are *barely* standard from what I hear. There'll be a lot of 1-3 footers in play at the tournament I suspect.[/QUOTE]

But since it's a tournament based on score, aren't you competing against the other players and not the game? It doesn't matter if the songs are easy if everyone is playing the same easy songs.

[quote name='Modus Pwnens']But since it's a tournament based on score, aren't you competing against the other players and not the game? It doesn't matter if the songs are easy if everyone is playing the same easy songs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but DDR is the kind of game that if you can play the really hard songs, the only way you wont be able to perfectly do an easier song is if you fall asleep due to teh boring.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Sounds fun but know some Asian kid is gonna swoop in and flat out maul everyone. :([/QUOTE]

LOL You're probably right about that, since 90% of the DDR players around here (Bay Area, California) ARE Asian. Kinda' like the Street Fighter or Tekken tournaments. Always an Asian game player in 1st, 2nd or 3rd place. LMAO

GP

The whole game is really, really easy. Don't worry about the mat not being good enough, or needing a bar, or whatever. I played in a Mario Mix tournament with 3 other people on Very Hard mode. I got all perfects, everyone else got 1 great, and none of us put forth much effort.

Bars? Pfft...I laugh at those who use the bars to play in the arcade! I love watching them 'cheat,' and then I go and totally kick their ass without even touching the bar.

[quote name='Dkellar']Bars? Pfft...I laugh at those who use the bars to play in the arcade! I love watching them 'cheat,' and then I go and totally kick their ass without even touching the bar.[/QUOTE]
Bar raping is not cheating. Can you do 11s-13s without the bar?

Manager at the store here hadn't gotten things set up, so they're having the tournament here next week. Oh well... gives me a week or so to play a bit more beforehand (took off last month due to some foot troubles).

[quote name='banpeikun']Find an EB in Arkansas or West Virginia or something, haha. But I don't think this contest is advertised very well, plus DDR Mario is quite easy (I doubt they have all the difficulty settings unlocked for the contest) so anyone who's played it or any DDR has a good chance to win.[/QUOTE]

lol west virginia is your best bet if you dont wanna get wiped by a little vietnamese kid

[quote name='Dkellar']Bars? Pfft...I laugh at those who use the bars to play in the arcade! I love watching them 'cheat,' and then I go and totally kick their ass without even touching the bar.[/QUOTE]

Guys like you are the funniest. I always stop and quietly laugh on the inside when I see someone stone cold serious flopping around like a tard on that game.

Tournament was a no-go here as I was the only one who showed up. The guy was cool and ended up giving me some old promo stuff they had leftover: 4 T-shirts (all XLs, oh well) a copy of MAT3, a Pokemon XD skin for GC, Gun playing cards, and the Nintendogs lunch bag. And I stayed around for a while and talked with both of them working, and ended up getting a CAG mention and giving them each a business card (Thanks Cheapy!)

Not as good as it could've been, but still not bad espeically since I didn't have to compete.

Tournament was a no-go for me as well, I was the only one who showed up. However, that meant I got the prize :D Go go free $20.00 store credit

Tournament was a no-go for me also. I went and asked them if they had it and they said not enough people came so they pretty much canceled it. I didn't even get anything. Stupid asian chicks.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']That sucks, the dance pad will probably be almost broken if not broken by the time it's over. That's figuring they will make you wear sneakers/shoes while playing even though it's a soft pad. At Best Buy when they had Ultramix 2 out to play, they said you had to wear sneakers/shoes to play even though it was a soft pad for liability reasons.[/QUOTE]

Thats weird, because at my Best Buy there was a sign that said that you must take your shoes off if you were going to play.

Yeah, I won a free copy of DDR Mario Mix at EB today. The event was actually a lot of fun too. =P

The manager there brought in his memory card, so we had extra songs and the super hard difficulty available. We played Here We Go on super hard, with one practice round and then for the second we had our score recorded. The only downside was that the GameCube kiosk had ridiculously quiet speakers, and they couldn't figure out how to hook up the PS2 speakers to the display. But they did tape the mat to the ground, so it was easy to play with some level of accuracy.

Initially there were only four, including myself, but by the end of the two hours 11 people had signed up. We also managed to bring in some crowds by playing the crazy Bowser song on super hard (he is a breakdancing BEAST).

It was cool, and I ended up snagging that awesome Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance display they had. That thing is beautiful. Definitely a fun event, and my girlfriend stopped by, as well as people from my school who jumped on and gave it a try. That was entertaining.

My local EB better not be going anywhere because of this damn merger. The EB here is a million times better than that damn GameStop.

I went to the local tournament today and won. Was pretty cool to get the game for free. About 10 people entered. Afterwards, along with the game, I got an EX2 music sampler, a castlevania sampler, a DDS2 sampler, and a Nintendo Fusion Tour cd. Fun enough.

ah damnit! I just found this thread and it's nov. 6th. Sounds like fun, plus I might have won too, I doubt many people around here would have entered so the odds are pretty good. Congrats to you guys who won!

[quote name='s1eepinglionhart']Congrats to the winners. Now if only they'd hold something like this for Tekken or Soul Calibur, then maybe I could win something. :p[/QUOTE]

Actually, the EB I went to was having a Soul Caliber 3 tournament today. No clue if this is chainwide or just in this store, though.

No go here. Only I and one other person showed up, so the manager cancelled it. I'm surprised more people didn't show up, considering the EB is situated right in front of a big college apartment complex. Somehow I don't think it was because all the DDR Freaks were already off tailgating for our homecoming game... Thanks to the tight, all-business manner of the manager here, this EB doesn't feel like an inviting place.

bread's done
Back