Ebgames to me, Cancelling preorder is fraud!!

[quote name='gizmogc']They purchase Nascar at a cheaper price due to the promotion (buying more copies, promoting a game etc). So when you switch to store credit or another game they are actually losing money, and stuch with extra copies of games that may never sell.[/QUOTE]

God forbid EA make a good product that sells itself. Now that would be too much work would it?

We all let the customers preorder Nascar for $5 and put the rest on store credit. Hell, 99% of the time we just do it. If you ask a customer if they want to they usually say no, they're stupid to get extra money. So you just do it so they can the number gets higher.

All we ask though is you cancel the preorder AFTER the game comes out. Most of the time everyone uses the credit to pick up used games, which makes EB even more money. I think most stores won't care as long as you cancel your preorder after the game comes out.

Too many stores are trying to get their presell numbers up.

the whole pre-order system is just odd...it has come in handy for me once, and that was with Nintendogs. Other than that, I just preorder stuff for the hell of it.

[quote name='Scoobert']We all let the customers preorder Nascar for $5 and put the rest on store credit. Hell, 99% of the time we just do it. If you ask a customer if they want to they usually say no, they're stupid to get extra money. So you just do it so they can the number gets higher.

All we ask though is you cancel the preorder AFTER the game comes out. Most of the time everyone uses the credit to pick up used games, which makes EB even more money. I think most stores won't care as long as you cancel your preorder after the game comes out.

Too many stores are trying to get their presell numbers up.[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying is you are allowing customers to do po the promotions, however now making them go through with it?

I love this statement

"All we ask though is you cancel the preorder AFTER the game comes out."
and then
"Too many stores are trying to get their presell numbers up."

[quote name='eldad9']Yes, we all know heterosexuals let you cancel pre-orders and homosexuals don't. That's why the bible wants us to kill them.[/QUOTE]
LOL. I'm also yet to see a local EB store canoodling with other homosexual stores.

That can't be possible. At the very least, you can accept your game, take it to return it, and then use that money for something else.

[quote name='Tromack']That can't be possible. At the very least, you can accept your game, take it to return it, and then use that money for something else.[/QUOTE]

Why? Why should they allow you to return something you got in a promotion in exchange for something else? Reminds mr of an often conversation working in videogame retail

"This game sucks, can I get a new game?"
"No, sorry. Once its opened we cannot return it. Only if its Defective"
"Oh, well, uhh, its defective! Ill return it for a new copy and then return that new unopened copy for a new game!"
"No, sorry, won't happen. We will open up you exchange copy"
"Bummer! You sure got me!"

Ok, so I made the last sentence up...

Couldn't you always just ask for a gift reciept, then return it with that like a day later and then get the credit?? Never tried this, so I'm not really sure how this would work.

i think gizmogc is EBs profit manager or sumthin' he reeeaaalllly doesn't want anyone returning those copies of nascar :lol:

[quote name='ITDEFX']yea yea

kid:when is duke Nookum 4 coming out?
EB Guy: When its done!

5 years later
college drop out: When is Dune Pupan 4 coming out.
Same EB guy only fatter: oh you should have put 5 dollars pre order on it cause it sold out fast within the first week 4 years 3 weeks ago. Now they don't make anymore so your SOL. BTW wanna put 5 dollars down on the next Nintendo system?[/QUOTE]

That's the dumbest thing i've ever read on this board. And i've sat through all of Slidecage's posts.

Ahhh...

Y3A YAA
KIDWHAN IS DUKE NOKUM 4 COMNG OUT
AB??!!?!?! OMG GUY WH3N ITS DONA
5!1111!1 OMG WTF LOL YEARS L8R
COLEG3 DROP OUT WHAN IS DUNE PUPAN 4 COMNG OUT
SME!!!!1 WTF EB GUY ONLY FATER O U SHUD HAEV PUT 5 DOLARS PRA ORDAR ON IT CAUSE IT SOLD OUT FAST WITHIN DA FIRST WEK 4 Y3ARS 3 WEKS AGO!!!!!11 WTF LOL NOW TH3Y DONT MAEK ANYMORA SO UR SOL1111!111 OMG WTF BTW WANA PUT 5 DOLARS DOWN ON TEH N3XT NINTENDO SYSTEM???!!!! OMG WTF

I agree with everyone saying basically too bad, people used to try and do this to me at baskin robbins with coupons, it would say "buy one blast get one free" yet they try to use it on shakes, sundaes, whatever they so desired. the deal is for nascar, theres a reason the deal is for nascar and not zelda or another game, you live with it, worst comes to worst after u get your pre-ordered copy bring it back for a full refund, say you got one already or something, but in the future dont be shocked that the company denies you the opportunity to cheat them out of their money, you knew that doing what you did was taking a risk, and no offense buddy, but the coin didnt flip your way, so you gotta live with it

[quote name='gizmogc']Does EB even have gift recipts? Regardless, it may still show somewhere it was a promotional deal.[/QUOTE]

EB does give gift receipts. the barcode on the receipt may link it back to the original trade in deal.

Others mentioned you can just take the game and resell it - that's what I did with the copy of GT4 I got. I didn't go for the Nascar deal because I knew it wouldn't sell easily and I didn't want to get stuck with it. Just do the promotions that you are at least mildly interested in.

[quote name='slidecage']im glad they are cracking down on this.

PROMO TRADE IN-- EXCHANGE FOR SAME GAME ONLY

[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone be "glad" about this? Hurray for the big corporation! Yeah, you keep sticking it to little Johnny getting ripped in his tradeins! What, do you own EB/GS stock? :)

But I do agree completely with your basic point. If EB wants to stop us scammers, they should create a clear written policy (like their exclusions list) that prevents returns. The policy should not just be a sticker on the game but a part of the language of the deal.

The practice of "flipping" games for EB credit is my bread and butter in game buying right now and I don't see any moral or ethical problems in doing it. No more than I see the ethical problems of EB giving people an average of 40% of the value (of what an actual used game is worth) for most games traded in and charging 130% (of what an actual used game is worth) for most games sold.

I've seen people trade in a small stack of games that would bring, say, $110 on ebay and get, say, $45 (in EB CREDIT) for them. Then EB turns around and sells God of War for $45 (less 10% IF you have an EDGE) when you could likely get a used one for $3X on ebay.

I can't see how EB loses on my transactions. I bring in non-POX games and get fair value for them. In most cases, EB will sell those games (mostly to unsuspecting casual gamers) for more than they gave me. In the meantime, I use the credit to buy merchandise from EB. Clearly, I have increased their business volume. The selection at my local store is mostly improved for the saps who play EB straight up ;-) And I buy things I would normally not get (esp. not get from EB).

I'd say EA is likely to lose more on the Nascar deal but this is a cross promotional deal and just having the flyers instore and additional buzz is most of their goal. Take the recent Ndogs deal . . . EB became a hotbed for the preorder of the game and even a scammer like me kept one. Nintendo benefits because us "seed" customers show it and talk about it with others . . . increasing its buzz. These deals are a form of advertising and they may cost money but its part of their business model.

I've done quite a few of these tradein deals as scams and if EB sincerely closes the loopholes (WITH A WRITTEN POLICY) I will stop doing them and I will also push my game buying elsewhere. I think it will be EB's loss.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']EB is not cool.[/QUOTE]

You're right . . . EB has been fairly cool about some of the deals and now becomes uncool.

Here's the other big, big cost for EB . . . personal and by association public opinion. As the few of us EB hounds (I'm in the store a every week) turn away, there is a small but real ripple effect which means others we talk to also turn away from EB.

Yeah, my thought is that if you think EB is in the wrong because you can't transfer your credit to another deal, you are a dumbass. The deal is for Nascar 2006, not trade in 4 games for Nascar 2006 so you can get whatever the hell you want.
If you paid cash, it's probably a completely different story, but coming here trying to twist around to get people rallied for you is hopefully not working.
Bottom line, the deal is for one particular game....it's called a promotion, if you, or anyone else for that matter, try to do this, and EB calls fraud on it, I'm on their side. This is the type of crap that makes deals go away.

You really cannot tell me you are actually this stupid.

[quote name='Archgarth']This ties into the "Nascar 2006 for four pre-owned games" deal that they have had going.

I go into the store today to cancel my preorder, and put the credit towards another game.

The clerk, who originally took my pre-owned games before, tells me that they can no longer cancell pre-orders, and that the company considered it fraud for customers to do so. The clerk also said that there had been an entire company-wide notice about such a practice.

I know there are a lot of people on this board that have no problem with taking advantage of pre-order deals of this nature, but what makes me wonder is what if you pay a pre-order with cash, find out the game is crap, and decide to get another game? Even if you pick up a copy of Nascar using this deal, do you not still have a right to return it, as long as it is sealed with receipt?

As for me, I'll probably pick up my copy on Tuesday, see how the reviews are, and then decide to return it or not.

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='howlinmad']Yeah, my thought is that if you think EB is in the wrong because you can't transfer your credit to another deal, you are a dumbass. The deal is for Nascar 2006, not trade in 4 games for Nascar 2006 so you can get whatever the hell you want.
If you paid cash, it's probably a completely different story, but coming here trying to twist around to get people rallied for you is hopefully not working.
Bottom line, the deal is for one particular game....it's called a promotion, if you, or anyone else for that matter, try to do this, and EB calls fraud on it, I'm on their side. This is the type of crap that makes deals go away.

You really cannot tell me you are actually this stupid.[/QUOTE]

Yep you are correct. I think most of these people are trying to drum up some sort of technicallity to justify their argument, but they all know what they are doing isnt 100% right.

DB

[quote name='schultzed']Why would anyone be "glad" about this? Hurray for the big corporation! Yeah, you keep sticking it to little Johnny getting ripped in his tradeins! What, do you own EB/GS stock? :)

But I do agree completely with your basic point. If EB wants to stop us scammers, they should create a clear written policy (like their exclusions list) that prevents returns. The policy should not just be a sticker on the game but a part of the language of the deal.

The practice of "flipping" games for EB credit is my bread and butter in game buying right now and I don't see any moral or ethical problems in doing it. No more than I see the ethical problems of EB giving people an average of 40% of the value (of what an actual used game is worth) for most games traded in and charging 130% (of what an actual used game is worth) for most games sold.

I've seen people trade in a small stack of games that would bring, say, $110 on ebay and get, say, $45 (in EB CREDIT) for them. Then EB turns around and sells God of War for $45 (less 10% IF you have an EDGE) when you could likely get a used one for $3X on ebay.

I can't see how EB loses on my transactions. I bring in non-POX games and get fair value for them. In most cases, EB will sell those games (mostly to unsuspecting casual gamers) for more than they gave me. In the meantime, I use the credit to buy merchandise from EB. Clearly, I have increased their business volume. The selection at my local store is mostly improved for the saps who play EB straight up ;-) And I buy things I would normally not get (esp. not get from EB).

I'd say EA is likely to lose more on the Nascar deal but this is a cross promotional deal and just having the flyers instore and additional buzz is most of their goal. Take the recent Ndogs deal . . . EB became a hotbed for the preorder of the game and even a scammer like me kept one. Nintendo benefits because us "seed" customers show it and talk about it with others . . . increasing its buzz. These deals are a form of advertising and they may cost money but its part of their business model.

I've done quite a few of these tradein deals as scams and if EB sincerely closes the loopholes (WITH A WRITTEN POLICY) I will stop doing them and I will also push my game buying elsewhere. I think it will be EB's loss.[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed people still think like this. You are bringing games into there business in exchange for credit or cash. Why should they pay you top dollar for it? They are taking all the risks of taking in a used game which potentially may not work, or will drop in value considerably in the next week. If you wanted cash, goto ebay. You can spend the time taking pictures, typing up descriptions, answering questions, packaging up the item, going to the post office, sending them out, paying ebay/paypal bills, and then hoping no one does a chargeback on you. But no, ebay is SO simple!

Now, just because EB pays you $15 for that copy of God of War they CURRENTLY sell for $35, does not mean they will actual SELL it at THAT price. Prices drop all the time. We see it everyday. A $50 game can drop to $20 within 2-3 months of release. If they paid everyone $30 for that game, and are stuck with 10-15 copies, they have lost a significant amount of money. Everytime they do a trade, they are playing the gambling game determining if this game will drop, will I sell enough copies etc. We have all seen tons of copies of the original Splinter Cell, Grand Thedy Auto San Andreas (pre-banning), and Resident Evil 4. You think they will sell all those copies for the current retail price? No, not going to happen.

I'm not here defending EB, but when a promotion states stipulations they should be followed, otherwise the deal may be pulled/adjusted (GameRush).

Oh, and again, if an EB lets you switch pre-orders or get store credit, thats cool (some stores do), but don't come here bitching that they won't break the rules at you're store. Deal with it.

It sounds to me, after reading this now semi-long rant thread, there's one solution that should make both sides happy:

Pre-order, get your $50 credit on the game, and then ask (either at the time of trade or later), if you can just keep the minimum $5 on the preorder, and put the rest on your Edge card.

Cancelling or even "flipping" your entire deal completely voids the bonus offer in every situation, but lowering it from the full price of the game to the minimum needed if you were to walk in and request a pre-order with cash is still keeping you in the same contract, you've simply adjusted your current financial positioning with it (PIF vs. minimum).

That would make the EB employee happy for having the pre-sell point, and make the customer happy by getting 90% of the credit in-hand right away. From that point, I would personally let my $5 rot away until after the game came out, and when they ask you about it, tell them you don't think you want it anymore and (again) ask them what your options are for the preorder money you paid.

Final note: correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't buy the game you preordered after it came out, aren't you supposed to lose the money you put down? that's what I thought the whole point of a Preorder was. I never heard of "cancelling a preorder" scot-free. You're giving the company a small down-payment to tell them you're serious about buying the item, but if you cancel out on them, they get to keep your money. That's how it works in the real world (Real Estate, etc.), that's how it should work in "teh gam3rz wurld" too...

[quote name='Kerig']
Final note: correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't buy the game you preordered after it came out, aren't you supposed to lose the money you put down? that's what I thought the whole point of a Preorder was. I never heard of "cancelling a preorder" scot-free. You're giving the company a small down-payment to tell them you're serious about buying the item, but if you cancel out on them, they get to keep your money. That's how it works in the real world (Real Estate, etc.), that's how it should work in "teh gam3rz wurld" too...[/QUOTE]

No, they have to refund you if you paid cash, or store credit if you used store credit (However, not in the current promotion like Nascar).

[quote name='gizmogc']Oh, and again, if an EB lets you switch pre-orders or get store credit, thats cool (some stores do), but don't come here bitching that they won't break the rules at you're store. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

I love how you've been preaching against fraud in this thread yet when you sold me that Xbox, you lied about when you shipped, neglected to mention it was a refurb and didn't include any A/V cables :roll:

[quote name='joevan07']I love how you've been preaching against fraud in this thread yet when you sold me that Xbox, you lied about when you shipped, neglected to mention it was a refurb and didn't include any A/V cables :roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, ok. Never lied about shipping, didn't even know it was a refurb (and like it matters? How many PS2/Gamecube refurbs are out there unmarked?), and yes, I forgot to include the AV cables. Burn me on the stake.

[quote name='gizmogc']No, they have to refund you if you paid cash, or store credit if you used store credit (However, not in the current promotion like Nascar).[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity: do they actually have a written policy about refunding your money on a cancelled preorder at all? They really don't have to, legally, unless they choose to include a cancellation clause in the preorder offer. They're doing it out of kindness.

On that note: what about deals like TRU giving you free swag for putting a preorder down. I've been tempted in the past to put $5-$10 down just to get the free promotion with no intention of buying the game. I wouldn't expect to get my preorder money back after they gave me something free. Can you get your deposits back from TRU and other "real" retail outlets as well? I would really hope it's a non-refundable deposit, otherwise the retail world just went down ANOTHER notch in my book.

[quote name='Kerig']Just out of curiosity: do they actually have a written policy about refunding your money on a cancelled preorder at all? They really don't have to, legally, unless they choose to include a cancellation clause in the preorder offer. They're doing it out of kindness.

On that note: what about deals like TRU giving you free swag for putting a preorder down. I've been tempted in the past to put $5-$10 down just to get the free promotion with no intention of buying the game. I wouldn't expect to get my preorder money back after they gave me something free. Can you get your deposits back from TRU and other "real" retail outlets as well? I would really hope it's a non-refundable deposit, otherwise the retail world just went down ANOTHER notch in my book.[/QUOTE]

There is no policy that I know of....Ive never heard of a store NOT refunding you're pre-order cash in the past.

As per the free items when pre-orders, some stores may make you switch to another game rather then refunding your $5 deposit, so MAY keep it for a certain amount of time. When Wind Waker was coming out, if you put down $10 (I think) you got a free Ocarina of Time/Master Quest game. I remember hearing reports of people pre-ordering numerous copies of Wind Waker from numerous stores and then canceling and getting there money back (but keeping the free game). We put a stop to it in our district, but others allowed it.

Also, most stores no longer give away the good swag until the games actually arrived and the customer picked it up. Infact, Ive never picked up my pre-order swag early unless I had fully paid for the game (Nintendogs for example)

[quote name='Kerig']
Final note: correct me if I'm wrong, but if you don't buy the game you preordered after it came out, aren't you supposed to lose the money you put down? that's what I thought the whole point of a Preorder was. I never heard of "cancelling a preorder" scot-free. You're giving the company a small down-payment to tell them you're serious about buying the item, but if you cancel out on them, they get to keep your money. That's how it works in the real world (Real Estate, etc.), that's how it should work in "teh gam3rz wurld" too...[/QUOTE]

The point of a pre-order is simply for allocation reasons. Most of these companies cannot afford to ship 50 copies of every game to each store. Pre-Orders are taken to guage serious interest. Why send the same amount of Nascar games to each store in Vermont as say North Carolina? The pre-order helps alleviate this uncertainty.

Now, I can hear the haters in the background going, "Well, that's their own freakin' problem."

You also have the publisher side of things. Why do you think they also push pre-order bonuses? (T-Shirts, Posters, Demos.)

Generally, in retail, you get a sales guarantee for shelf life product. Publishers have to give many companies an agreement that they will sell so many copies at such and such price, or the publisher will compensate the retail company for any difference in that price.

Hence, they too do not want games stuck where they will not sell.

The 5 dollars is more of a mental sales issue. 90% of the people willing to pay 5 bucks to pre-order a game will pick it up when it releases. Only 25% of people who sign up for a no deposit list will pick the game up on release.

Oh, and the reason you can get your 5 bucks back is that you have not entered into any binding contract.

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, ok. Never lied about shipping, didn't even know it was a refurb (and like it matters? How many PS2/Gamecube refurbs are out there unmarked?), and yes, I forgot to include the AV cables. Burn me on the stake.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: you brainless dipshit.

I mailed it Monday" - uh, well, I mailed it today..uh well, I was sick and didnt get to mail it until today" :roll:

And if you don't know how to read the white "Refurbished" sticker then you really need to go back to school.

And yes..you did forget the AV cables which I had to go out and buy since you never bothered to mail them out. :roll:

So keep your attitude to yourself ;)

[quote name='Graystone']Wrong place to post this. Yes we know eb is gay blah blah. However I really don't think they can do that. I think it's a employee who saw that people were doing this and it was his right to defend his company or at least that is what I am thinking.[/QUOTE]

yeah, defend his company that's paying him $7.50/hour........ way to stand up for what you believe in

[quote name='tayaf69']EB can't deny you the cancellation of your preorder. You probably preordered the game under their "original" policy so you could easily argue this. I wouldn't have left the store until I was talking to a manager of the corporate office. It's fraud to keep your money for your preorder. WTF...EB is gay.[/QUOTE]

I find it hysterical that you start off your post by making a valid point and end it with caveman lingo.........homophobe! :)

[quote name='Villy']Oh, and the reason you can get your 5 bucks back is that you have not entered into any binding contract.[/QUOTE]

There's a slight problem with that statement.

http://law.freeadvice.com/general_practice/contract_law/binding_contract.htm

The money you're giving to them makes it binding...without the money, you're just asking them to do you a favor and save one for you. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. In a loose way, a preorder is a binding contract, you're securing your item early by binding it with a $$ down-payment.

Look how upset everyone gets when a preorder game isn't available when it's supposed to be. There's some major binding going on between the customer and his right to have the game "right now! I PAID you, so you need to give it to me NOW!". That's when it's even out of EBs hands, imagine if the game actually came out, and EB just said "Yeah, even though you paid, we didn't want to order too many in case some people were just 'flipping' us." Many silly CAGers would demand repercussions up to and including a lawsuit and free crap.

I'll finish this up the way every post should be: with a relevant Seinfeld quote:

JERRY: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?
RENTAL CAR AGENT: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.
JERRY: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.
RENTAL CAR AGENT: I know why we have reservations.
JERRY: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

[quote name='gizmogc']Ugh, lets not start the whole 'don't pre-order its ghey' thread again. Pre-ordering guarantees you a copy the day it comes out (or should) and you get any bonus items with it (or you should). Ok, done.[/QUOTE]
I was just thinking about the "preoder guaruntees you c copy (or should) and I went to Gamestop last night and the employees almost tackled me and asked if I wanted to preorder an Xbox 360. I went along with it until they asked me to fill out info. I then asked them if I would be guarunteed a system at launch and they were like "uhhh....we don't think so. No sorry, can't get one on launch. You may not even get it till 2006." HAHA! I love Gamestop.

I can't believe this thread is still alive.

Look, it's perfectly simple: the deal lets you trade several of your used games for a certain new title. You can't change your mind about the terms of the deal; you only get to decide whether you want to go through with it or not, and it's too late for that. Now, if the store was really, really nice, they might let you "change your mind" by undoing the transaction - that is, giving you your own used games back.

You can't change your mind about which game you'd like for your used games any more than you can "change your mind" about how much a service you paid for costs after receiving it. The deal was clearly outlined; you can either take it, leave it, or try to alter it - which you haven't done; it's too late for that.

Calling the change request fraud, though, is laughable.

There is nothing more - nothing - that needs to be added to this thread.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']I find it hysterical that you start off your post by making a valid point and end it with caveman lingo.........homophobe! :)[/QUOTE]
Ha, I just wanted to add in some stupid rhyme at the end. I was feeling weird at the time.

[quote name='eldad9']I can't believe this thread is still alive.

Look, it's perfectly simple: the deal lets you trade several of your used games for a certain new title. You can't change your mind about the terms of the deal; you only get to decide whether you want to go through with it or not, and it's too late for that. Now, if the store was really, really nice, they might let you "change your mind" by undoing the transaction - that is, giving you your own used games back.

You can't change your mind about which game you'd like for your used games any more than you can "change your mind" about how much a service you paid for costs after receiving it. The deal was clearly outlined; you can either take it, leave it, or try to alter it - which you haven't done; it's too late for that.

Calling the change request fraud, though, is laughable.

There is nothing more - nothing - that needs to be added to this thread.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that is not what they have told me. Recently, I asked if I could trade in my eight games for two copies of Nintendogs, then if I found the elusive Streetwise coupon, if I could bring in a ninth and receive a third copy. They said, "No you can't. Once you do a trade-in deal, the value of the trade-in becomes as if it were cash handed over to us. We can't later alter it, nor refund your games." Sorry, but they can't have it both ways, bro. It's either one way or the other; not whichever suits them best.

Haven't read the bulk of the responses...

Don't know if they can stop you from switching or getting credit back from a pre-order or not. But it's total crap for the employee to tell you doing so is fraud. He should just say EB has changed their policy and no longer allows this, you don't accuse the customer of some BS crime. If EB has allowed customers to switch or get credit for cancelled pre-orders in the past that's on them, it's certainly not fraud to ask the store to do that for you IMO.

Personally I never pre-order as I hate the idea of giving a store my money way in advance of getting the product, plus I'm always leary of being 'screwed' by stuff like this.

[quote name='gizmogc']So what you're saying is you are allowing customers to do po the promotions, however now making them go through with it?

I love this statement

"All we ask though is you cancel the preorder AFTER the game comes out."
and then
"Too many stores are trying to get their presell numbers up."[/QUOTE]

Lett me guess, trying me make me look stupid? Only reason I tell customers to wait until the game comes out is to cover my own ass. If all of a sudden all these preorders get cancelled before the game comes out, it's going to make me look bad. Sure the store looks good because of the presell numbers, but it really doesn't amount to much.

I do it to help you out, to help the customer. Most of the time someone is unhappy with the trade-in values, once it gets bumped up they love it and are more inclined to do it. Screw presell! Now because they got extra credit, they are now going to buy more and most likely it's going to be pre-played.

If there was another way to bump up your credit beyond presells I would gladly do it. Until then, I'll continue to do so to help out the customer and make my numbers look good. It's all about selling and you if you don't realize that, you're in the wrong world.

[quote name='schultzed']
I've done quite a few of these tradein deals as scams and if EB sincerely closes the loopholes (WITH A WRITTEN POLICY) I will stop doing them and I will also push my game buying elsewhere. I think it will be EB's loss.[/QUOTE]

Man im sure glad im not in business....i thought scams were BAD for a company. Silly me.

I do think the point that refurb xbox trader made was a good one.... not all preowned titles will sell. Just go into your local EB and see the 10000 copies of every onimusha and other action game, chances are they had most of those copies before they sold it for 10 or less used.

I see this just as bad as "returning" game to walmart, so i do think it turns into a moral/ethical issue.

If the employee is willing to do the switch, then its OK. Its happened before in the past with this promotion and some employees/managers allow it. However, getting pissed that an employee won't break the rules is just horse crap.

[quote name='gizmogc']If the employee is willing to do the switch, then its OK. Its happened before in the past with this promotion and some employees/managers allow it. However, getting pissed that an employee won't break the rules is just horse crap.[/QUOTE]

Okay! Let it die, for crying out loud! No need to say the same thing 68 times!

[quote name='MorPhiend']Okay! Let it die, for crying out loud! No need to say the same thing 68 times![/QUOTE]

No, not 68 times. only about 15 so far. Ive got a LONG way to go I suppose.

[quote name='gizmogc']If the employee is willing to do the switch, then its OK. Its happened before in the past with this promotion and some employees/managers allow it. However, getting pissed that an employee won't break the rules is just horse crap.[/QUOTE]

The employee basically accused this dude of fraud. I'd be pissed if that happened to me as well. I imagine EB doesn't want their clerks to actually use that language with the customers, but this guy did.

[quote name='wubb']The employee basically accused this dude of fraud. I'd be pissed if that happened to me as well. I imagine EB doesn't want their clerks to actually use that language with the customers, but this guy did.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. The OP most likley just wanted attention since the employee wouldn't let him switch so he came here making up as much as he could. Hell, look at the way he worded the thread title. Has the OP even posted a reply? Nope

I think with a thread like this it goes both ways because the original point is there are just too many holes both with the deal and what the customer could do with the deal.

The one issue I have is this:

If a person legtimately trades in 5 games for Nascar then decides they don't want it they can't return it for their 5 original games. I think at the trade-in point those games have a certain dollar amount attached to them that equal $50 or whatever the cost of the new game is. Now most people would say ok well then you have to take that specific game but what makes this transaction different from any normal sale where as if I don't open the game I can return it for a refund? I think at the point where EB decides to take your used games is the point where they declare their value.

bread's done
Back