Ebgames to me, Cancelling preorder is fraud!!

[quote name='jkam']I think at the point where EB decides to take your used games is the point where they declare their value.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. They need to inform the customer at the time of trade that if a refund were to take place, they will make xx.xx amount back. By not stating this fact, it would void EB's argument on their current stand of a refund since it is policy to get your money or credit back.

This would make everyone happy since there would be no loopholes and people would know of the policy in advance.

I'm not gunna read all this crap, but in this instance, I believe it is indeed fraud.

You're signing up for one promotion and then trying to shuffle the credit to another game. Trying to cancel a preorder isn't fraud. However, bringing in games specificaly for a promotion with game X and then moving the credit to game Y is very fraudulent.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but they have every right to not allow you to.

[quote name='Archgarth']taking advantage of pre-order deals of this nature[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you could get the original credit of your games, but they shouldn't have to give you the bonus credit.

Ok heres my opinion. I KNOW that it's wrong. I admit it. But at the amount they are giving for trade-ins I think it justifies the whole thing, at least for me. I know that games drop in price, but when you would normally get 75 CENTS for a game that they sell for $20, screw them. This is the reason that they have to even MAKE these deals. Because no one in their right minds would normally trade in games without a promo. An example: I traded in Timesplitters 2 for a DOLLAR (I just didn't want it). I come in a few days later and see MY copy on the shelf for $17.99. What the hell. From the moment I saw the price tag, I forever forgot about trading stuff in until I saw the promos and read what people were doing here. Now, lets say I traded a game in wiht a promo and got $10 per game. If that game is already a GH/PH/PC game, it's NOT going to drop under $20. So I got $10 in credit (key word credit, since that amount is going right back into their store) towards a certain game and figured I'd rather have a different game, I see nothing wrong with it. Now if they gave you cash for the trade-in promos, then tha would be totally wrong. But they're giving you something that they will get back in a few weeks regardless. They are giving you something that FORCES you back into the store. If they had better rates for tradeins wihtout promos, I'd feel some sort of moral dilemma. But until they DO change their rates these deals are the only thing keeping me in their store.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I KNOW that it's wrong. I admit it. [/QUOTE]

Then what's the problem? No one forces you to trade anything in anywhere. There other options -- local papers, eBay, friends, etc.

Don't try to justify it by saying "EB is my only option and their prices suck."

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Ok heres my opinion. I KNOW that it's wrong. I admit it. But at the amount they are giving for trade-ins I think it justifies the whole thing, at least for me. I know that games drop in price, but when you would normally get 75 CENTS for a game that they sell for $20, screw them. This is the reason that they have to even MAKE these deals. Because no one in their right minds would normally trade in games without a promo. An example: I traded in Timesplitters 2 for a DOLLAR (I just didn't want it). I come in a few days later and see MY copy on the shelf for $17.99. What the hell. From the moment I saw the price tag, I forever forgot about trading stuff in until I saw the promos and read what people were doing here. Now, lets say I traded a game in wiht a promo and got $10 per game. If that game is already a GH/PH/PC game, it's NOT going to drop under $20. So I got $10 in credit (key word credit, since that amount is going right back into their store) towards a certain game and figured I'd rather have a different game, I see nothing wrong with it. Now if they gave you cash for the trade-in promos, then tha would be totally wrong. But they're giving you something that they will get back in a few weeks regardless. They are giving you something that FORCES you back into the store. If they had better rates for tradeins wihtout promos, I'd feel some sort of moral dilemma. But until they DO change their rates these deals are the only thing keeping me in their store.[/QUOTE]

This is the reality. People lug games into EB or GS and will take crap for them when they get there because they have already separated psychologically and don't want to drag them back.

But they will remember what they got and be less likely to trade in stuff again.

Flippers become a valuable source of used games and create volume and sales for the stores.

Perhaps its morally wrong but this practice of "scamming" an offer becomes a symbiotic relationship . . . with both parties benefiting. The store and the trader.

I hate it when the companies cancel my preorder.

I don't give a fuck if you don't have enough, you should have fucking thought about that before you sold it to me and no I will not take fucking store credit! If you are not going to be able to hand me a motherfucking PSP next week than you better give me fucking cash so I can give it to someone who will!

[quote name='schultzed']
Flippers become a valuable source of used games and create volume and sales for the stores.

Perhaps its morally wrong but this practice of "scamming" an offer becomes a symbiotic relationship . . . with both parties benefiting. The store and the trader.[/QUOTE]

If this was true, Gamerush would be the most profitable game store ever, and not be completely in the red.

Yea, it's completely wrong to do this to EB, but I could care less personally. Just don't try to justify it like it's ok, or that EB owes it to you to do this. The deal dosen't say "trade in any 5 games for any 49.99 preorder", people just found a loophole and decided to exploit it.

To the OP: If you local EB put a stop to it, well, that's the chances you take when you try and exploit them.

[quote name='Roufuss']If this was true, Gamerush would be the most profitable game store ever, and not be completely in the red.

Yea, it's completely wrong to do this to EB, but I could care less personally. Just don't try to justify it like it's ok, or that EB owes it to you to do this. [/QUOTE]

I don't know Gamerush that well (don't have one :whistle2:() but I think they've been more careless about these loopholes. The key with EB is the exclusions list which they keep updated pretty well.

You can't dump crap games on them.

I never said that EB owes me anything and if they want to change the language on these deals, they can go right ahead.

[quote name='Jetrangers00']just got back from EB, they told me that you can't cancel or return nascar if you used the promo[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess, since switching the preorder is considered fraud, why couldn't I return it after I picked it up?

Basically, if I picked it up and tried to return it at a different EB, they really couldn't figure out whether or not I had used the promotion, could they? I mean, I can't find my Nintendogs receipt, but I doubt the receipts could say whether or not you used the promotion. Any ideas?

[quote name='Farny']Yeah, I guess, since switching the preorder is considered fraud, why couldn't I return it after I picked it up? [/QUOTE]

First, everybody, stop calling the act of asking to switch the preorder fraud. It's crazy. Does it involve trying to deceive the store at any time?

Second, farny, are you asking about legal/technical or moral reasons not to do it? Of course you shouldn't, even though you may be able to get away with it because the company doesn't really keep track that much.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I KNOW that it's wrong. I admit it. But at the amount they are giving for trade-ins I think it justifies the whole thing, at least for me. I know that games drop in price, but when you would normally get 75 CENTS for a game that they sell for $20, screw them. This is the reason that they have to even MAKE these deals. Because no one in their right minds would normally trade in games without a promo. An example: I traded in Timesplitters 2 for a DOLLAR (I just didn't want it). I come in a few days later and see MY copy on the shelf for $17.99. What the hell. From the moment I saw the price tag, I forever forgot about trading stuff in until I saw the promos and read what people were doing here. Now, lets say I traded a game in wiht a promo and got $10 per game. If that game is already a GH/PH/PC game, it's NOT going to drop under $20. So I got $10 in credit (key word credit, since that amount is going right back into their store) towards a certain game and figured I'd rather have a different game, I see nothing wrong with it. Now if they gave you cash for the trade-in promos, then tha would be totally wrong. But they're giving you something that they will get back in a few weeks regardless. They are giving you something that FORCES you back into the store. If they had better rates for tradeins wihtout promos, I'd feel some sort of moral dilemma. But until they DO change their rates these deals are the only thing keeping me in their store.[/QUOTE]

None of this makes any sense at all. The store lets you know how much it offers you for a used copy; you can take it or leave it. The store lets you know how much it sells a used copy for; you can take it or leave it.

Welcome to capitalism, comrade.

If a company sells a product for a higher price than you're willing to pay, you just don't buy it. If a company buys a product for a lower price than you're willing to pay, you just don't sell it to them. Neither is an invitation to commit any illegal act. That's the same kind of logic chronic copyright infringers use - "the cd costs too much so I'll just copy it to teach them a lesson".

[quote name='eldad9']First, everybody, stop calling the act of asking to switch the preorder fraud. It's crazy. Does it involve trying to deceive the store at any time?

Second, farny, are you asking about legal/technical or moral reasons not to do it? Of course you shouldn't, even though you may be able to get away with it because the company doesn't really keep track that much.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm a moral type of person, but sometimes I'll make an exception. Basically, I'm wondering if the receipts say anything about the promotion. I'm almost 100% sure that if I returned it, they'd ask whether or not I used the promotion. That would force me to lie. But, they'd really have no way of knowing, especially if I went to a different store, am I right?

From what I know, eb will cancel a pre-order if you didn't pick it up within 24 - 48 hours since the game is launched, so you can go there after that and get refund or store credit.

If theyll let you, good job, you screwed over a store for your benefit. That's a good thig, and you should do it as often as possible, because if they let you they deserve it, dammit.

But if they don't let you, don't bitch and moan about it. You can't get a super awesome deal, and you actually have to abide by the terms they've set while giving you a great deal. It's your fault for preordering a shitty game and haping you'd be able to switch it to one you like.

[quote name='Farny']Any chance of taking this to Target sealed and asking for some store credit?[/QUOTE]

If you let them know it's not from their store, probably not, but you could get lucky. If you don't... you're really committing fraud. It's probably best not to discuss any illegal activities here (except, of course, bypassing region checks).

[quote name='Farny']Any chance of taking this to Target sealed and asking for some store credit?[/QUOTE]

You might want to stay away from Target w/o a receipt, but TRU will almost always give you a store credit for something still-sealed.

I got National Treasure (DVD) for my birthday, didn't really want to watch it again (already saw it in the $1 theater), so I brought it to TRU and exchanged it for Super Monkey Ball DX (PS2).

TRU is a "real" store, they actually keep track of things they should (/me glares at EB), including returns w/o a reciept. They only let you return something w/o a receipt about 5 times a year or so. I found that out the hard way a long time ago, when I found something on clearance at Shopko for $3 that TRU was still selling for $25. I made enough Geoffrey Dollars to get a nice expensive mountain bike for about $15.

See I wouldn't do this . . . because it is wrong. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle on the morality scale (which is bad because it should be black and white).

I don't see a problem in cancelling a preorder but I think it is wrong to return a game to a different store.

I talked to my father about this. He said as long as it's been allowed, and you are able to switch the preorder money, it's not fraud. If they won't allow you to switch it, then, that's another thing, and there's nothing you can do about it. He also said that if I picked it up and returned it to a different store, that'd be alright as well. I mean, if the receipts don't say anything about using the promotion. I mean, if these stores frequently try to screw you over with their schemes, he said he wouldn't feel bad returning the favor.

If all else fails, I can dump it off on eBay for more than I would've gotten for trading in 4 games anyway, or I could bring it to TRU like that guy said. I mean, from the way he said it, it seems as if they don't mind.

What do you guys think? Keep in mind, that though I'm speaking like I've already preordered it, I haven't. I intend to go later today, and I'm not sure if I should just trade in 5 games and preorder Katamari, or get this game and try to get the $50.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Ok heres my opinion. I KNOW that it's wrong. I admit it. But at the amount they are giving for trade-ins I think it justifies the whole thing, at least for me. I know that games drop in price, but when you would normally get 75 CENTS for a game that they sell for $20, screw them. This is the reason that they have to even MAKE these deals. Because no one in their right minds would normally trade in games without a promo. An example: I traded in Timesplitters 2 for a DOLLAR (I just didn't want it). I come in a few days later and see MY copy on the shelf for $17.99. What the hell. From the moment I saw the price tag, I forever forgot about trading stuff in until I saw the promos and read what people were doing here. Now, lets say I traded a game in wiht a promo and got $10 per game. If that game is already a GH/PH/PC game, it's NOT going to drop under $20. [/QUOTE]

So what exactly are you so pissed about? You AGREED to sell back TimeSplitters 2 for only $1. That means $1 was a good enough offer for you to part with the game. If the game is so worthless to you to practially give it away, you shouldn't care if EB is selling it for $17.99 or whatever you saw it for. If they threw it in the garbage instead, would you be a satisfied customer?

Honestly, I'm glad EB is getting the balls to put a stop to people taking advantage of their trade in deals like this. Although I never had customers do this in my 2+ years at EB, I know people must do it a lot just by reading the forum.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Because no one in their right minds would normally trade in games without a promo. An example: I traded in Timesplitters 2 for a DOLLAR (I just didn't want it). [/QUOTE]

Ummmm...ok? ;)

Well, it looks like I scored a deal today.

The manager of the EB was there. I didn't think it would work out, seeing as how he had expressed discontent over the fact that I had the guy at a different EB override a promotion to get me Nintendogs for 3 GBA POX games. He also said, "I have to try to close down whatever site is getting you guys those penny guide lists."

So, I asked him about the Nascar deal and said, "Is it bad if I were to try to transfer the preorder credit to a different game? He said he wouldn't mind, but I couldn't do it right away. I told him the game came out tomorrow, and he was like, "Ehh..."

So, he pulled up the promo and scanned my 4 games. They were automatically bumped up to $12.50 each. This is where I got confused, but in the end it turned out okay.

"So you're going to want all of that on an EDGE card?"

I thought to myself, "Sweet! I don't have to come back, and I get all the credit!"

"Actually, could I put $30 of that on We Love Katamari?"
"Yeah"

So then he asked me if I just wanted to pay the whole thing off, saying that it was $31.49 (Tax)

I said okay, but it didn't turn out that way...

After he rung everything up, I took a look at my receipt. He had put $5 down on Nascar, which is understandable, and 100% okay with me. That way, I'm not totally voiding, maybe. I'm not exactly sure why he did it.

I ended up gettin $15.01 on an edge card, and I looked at the receipt and had $5 on Nascar, and $29.99 on Katamari; I don't know where the 31.49 went, but trading in 4 games and getting Katamari and $15 is a steal.

Oh, and I traded in:

DOA 2: Hardcore - $2
Hot Shots Golf 3 - $2
BG+E (PS2) - $2
Sonic Mega Collection (I probably should've hung on to this, GC) - $7

(All bumped to $12.50)

I didn't have any other non-POX games besides Chaos Legion (Promotion requires manuals), Super Monkey Ball, and Moto GP3 (which probably has a decent trade value, so I kept it.) I was going to trade in Sly Cooper, but I couldn't find it. Still, parting with SMC is a small price to pay for what I came out with. It's all good, even though I'll miss Sonic.

[quote name='Farny']the receipt...had $5 on Nascar, and $29.99 on Katamari; I don't know where the 31.49 went[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was suggesting everyone should do a few pages worth of posts back...now you can even go back after Nascar is released and see about getting that $5 back.

As for the tax-money, I'm not sure why he thought there would be any. I traded up my PS2 and some games to get a new PSTwoSlim, and all the credit I had on my Edge Card was tax-free when buying the Slim. I had $135 credit, slim was $150, I only paid about $1.xx tax, the amount for the $15 left over after credit. When you go to pick up Katamari, you won't have to pay anything for it if you've got the pre-tax amount in credit on your edge card (that saved me $10 in tax, and I was happy as Fried Calamari when I realized what happened).

[quote name='Kerig']That's exactly what I was suggesting everyone should do a few pages worth of posts back...now you can even go back after Nascar is released and see about getting that $5 back.

As for the tax-money, I'm not sure why he thought there would be any. I traded up my PS2 and some games to get a new PSTwoSlim, and all the credit I had on my Edge Card was tax-free when buying the Slim. I had $135 credit, slim was $150, I only paid about $1.xx tax, the amount for the $15 left over after credit. When you go to pick up Katamari, you won't have to pay anything for it if you've got the pre-tax amount in credit on your edge card (that saved me $10 in tax, and I was happy as Fried Calamari when I realized what happened).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the same thing happened with Nintendogs; it was tax-free as well. Oh, well. I'm not going back to EB to get $5, unless I'm in the neighborhood.

[quote name='Farny']Yeah, the same thing happened with Nintendogs; it was tax-free as well. Oh, well. I'm not going back to EB to get $5, unless I'm in the neighborhood.[/QUOTE]

Erm....aren't you going to pick up your Katamari you preordered? That seems like a good time to ask about the $5

it's only a little over a week away. Overstock.com better ship it to me fast, I can't wait to hear the new music. I heard they redid the main theme song or whatnot but with all different kinds of animals doing the sounds.

Umm...The release got pushed back from 9/13 to 9/20, meaning I'll be picking it up on the 21st. Oh, and I may head out to EB so I can get KoF for Epic Wolf. What should I ask them about? Should I say I want my preorder credit back?

I wasn't sure if this has been posted, it just started monday and i didn't know if I should post here or in some sort of news but, I know alot of people like to exploit the trade in deals at Eb like trade in 5 get madden free or something to that extent. EB NOW (as of monday) new rules with promo deals:

1.If you trade in games to a promo you may no longer cancel the promo (so you can use credit to something else)

2. If you trade in games to a promo you may no longer return the game to get back the credit either (which I'm shocked at but oh well)

I know some people in here have different stand on this as some exploited the system to take advantage of PO and POX titles towards deals to transfer to credit but it appears these days are over. I still cant see how you cant return a game done with a promo when you have a reciept or how they can even tell by the reciept you did the promo, but I bet you can do it with say one copy...but the tricksters and scammers are done that do multiple copies and cancel or transfer to get the big time credit (basically like buying the cheapy PO titles at TRU now and say you did the NASCAR trick trade 4 get a $50 game free) If your store hasnt started this most if not all the employess will know the new policy by the end of the week...bummer

Why don't they just document sales better, and give you back the credit that your trade ins would have received. Lot better than not accepting returns.

[quote name='botticus']Why don't they just document sales better, and give you back the credit that your trade ins would have received. Lot better than not accepting returns.[/QUOTE]

Like I posted above its to block people who do multiple trades for the same game (Nascar 2006 trade in 4 games get Nascar which is 49.99 free) so people bought lots of PO titles from TRU and bought like 5-10 copies of Nascar 06 using the PO's to get the games free then cancelled or returned the Nascars to net some serious credit towards lets say the XBOX 360 or whatever they saw fit....either way they finally caught up to the scams...its only been like 10 yrs

EB Games is the worst place to buy games! The last 2 "NEW" games I bought there were already opened. The trade in values suck. And most of the employees are @$$holes. It's that way at all 5 EB games stores in my area. Thats why I trade with GameRush! The best game store in the buisness!!!!

[quote name='jdangerc']EB Games is the worst place to buy games! The last 2 "NEW" games I bought there were already opened. The trade in values suck. And most of the employees are @$$holes. It's that way at all 5 EB games stores in my area. Thats why I trade with GameRush! The best game store in the buisness!!!![/QUOTE]

I've been dealing with Eb and Gamestop (old school was called Babbages) and they are actually finsihing up the merger in the next short months and i can remember back about 10 years ago EB used to reseal games in my area and sell them as new, I still talk about it with my friend who has been managing an Eb store since then....kinda ridiculous

[quote name='Daddy']Like I posted above its to block people who do multiple trades for the same game (Nascar 2006 trade in 4 games get Nascar which is 49.99 free) so people bought lots of PO titles from TRU and bought like 5-10 copies of Nascar 06 using the PO's to get the games free then cancelled or returned the Nascars to net some serious credit towards lets say the XBOX 360 or whatever they saw fit....either way they finally caught up to the scams...its only been like 10 yrs[/QUOTE]

No, my point was, lets say you trade in 4 games for NASCAR. Those games actually only trade in for about $5.75 total. If you cancel or return, you get refunded $5.75. Can't see why that would be so difficult.

[quote name='botticus']No, my point was, lets say you trade in 4 games for NASCAR. Those games actually only trade in for about $5.75 total. If you cancel or return, you get refunded $5.75. Can't see why that would be so difficult.[/QUOTE]

"Yes, I'd like to return this NASCAR game... my son didn't want it for his birthday after all."
"Ok ma'am... *typey* According to our system, you used our trade-in offer for this, yes?"
"Oh, yes- I was getting rid of old game he was throwing out."
"Well, according to our new system, I have to take this into account, so I can only give you the trade-in value for your return... it's gonna be 5.75."
".... But this is a $50 game."
"I know that ma'am, but you didn't pay the $50, you only traded in-"
"I just want to exchange for the New Madden, that's what he wants instead."
"I'm afraid I can't do that ma'am, you see-"
"They're the SAME price game, why NOT?! "
"Becuase you didn't actually pay for the game-"
"THIS IS RIDICULOUS! HOW DARE YOU TRY AND RIP ME OFF?!!?! AGGGHHHH!!!! *spews pea soup ala Linda Blair*"

That's why they don't do that. It's easier to say 'no' and put up a lil' sign that says 'no'.

I'm sure the trading sharks will whine and complain, then start unwrapping the games they got with 6 bucks worth of crap titles and trading them in for $20 used credit.

[quote name='gizmogc']I doubt it. The OP most likley just wanted attention since the employee wouldn't let him switch so he came here making up as much as he could. Hell, look at the way he worded the thread title. Has the OP even posted a reply? Nope[/QUOTE]

Probably because I have a life outside the internet.

Oh, and seeing as how the nature of some of the posters in the thread had nothing better to say other than "OMFG, this is a GAMEFAQS! Thread TITLE!!!!, OMFG I have nothing more constructive to say, blah blah blah," that would proably be why I haven't followed the thread to closely. ;)

Yeah, well, looks like I'll be doing legitimate trade-ins now. Good thing I got in before this type of thing was disallowed.

And, on another note...

What if someone's PS2 broke? They couldn't return the game because they traded in games? What about an option to get back the games you traded in, because EB's trade-in values are extremely weak?

Oh, and if you guys read my earlier post, does this mean getting my $5 credit back is out of the question? I'm already heading back there, so if I can get it back I will, but I don't want $5 to implicate me further.

I find the sliding morality scale of the entire thread pretty interesting.

One one side we have people that think cancelling/returning a pre-order is morally wrong, yet probably bitch & moaned when they couldn't get the $5.00 GH/PH/PC titles during the Circuit City computer glitch of Spring '05.

And on the other we have people who have no problem using credit made on a trade-in deal for other games. Not to mention, but one of the entire problems with pre-ordering games is what if the game ends up having middling reviews (Sigma Star Saga, I'm looking right at you)? Don't we, as a customer, have the right to return a sealed game for equal value if we don't want the game? The way I see it, I lay down four games for $50 in credit for a game I hope will be good, and if said game is not good, I should have the right to move that credit to another game. And if I can't, then I damn well better get my original games back, because I neither saw, nor signed anything that says I cannot use my credit on anything else, and I'm certainly not going to get a piddly $6.00 total in trade-in credit.

Just to satisfy Gizmogc, yes, the word the ebgames guy used was fraud. May I capitalize it for emphasis? FRAUD. I will say it again, fraud. I hope that satisfies you.

i'm an employee at EB but i haven't worked there in over a week since i've moved back to campus...

could someone tell me if it automatically won't let us cancel pre-orders to place the credit on something else, or if it's just something we're not supposed to let people do? I have two nascar's reserved in full, and im planning on cancelling them to apply them towards my xbox 360. so, will i be able to do this straight up, or will i have to buy both copies, then return them for store credit and then apply THAT towards my 360? just curious what the real deal is with this.

thanks,
mike

My associate seems to believe that it is not fraud. If the rules allow for it, then by all means, you're allowed to do it, especially when you let the employee know beforehand that you're going to do it. If they don't like the idea, they'll say that you can't, and there's no way of contesting that further. I don't see how it's fraud in any way.

And maybe I'm not reading your post correctly, but do you support the idea of moving credit if a game sucks, regardless of what promotion was used? That's what I'm reading, is that correct?

[quote name='varsitygamer']i'm an employee at EB but i haven't worked there in over a week since i've moved back to campus...

could someone tell me if it automatically won't let us cancel pre-orders to place the credit on something else, or if it's just something we're not supposed to let people do? I have two nascar's reserved in full, and im planning on cancelling them to apply them towards my xbox 360. so, will i be able to do this straight up, or will i have to buy both copies, then return them for store credit and then apply THAT towards my 360? just curious what the real deal is with this.

thanks,
mike[/QUOTE]

According to the newly enacted rule, you can do neither. That's right, if this rule goes into effect, you're stuck with both games.

Okay, I reread it, and I think I agree with you, Archgarth. That's what my idea was coming into it. If I'm not going to be able to switch the credit, I should get my games back.

[quote name='Farny']My associate seems to believe that it is not fraud. If the rules allow for it, then by all means, you're allowed to do it, especially when you let the employee know beforehand that you're going to do it. If they don't like the idea, they'll say that you can't, and there's no way of contesting that further. I don't see how it's fraud in any way.

And maybe I'm not reading your post correctly, but do you support the idea of moving credit if a game sucks, regardless of what promotion was used? That's what I'm reading, is that correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I fully the support the idea of moving credit if a game sucks. With the new information above, about how EBgames will no longer allow such practices, any pre-orders I'll be doing will be strictly for games I know will be good (i.e. Splinter Cell, Zelda, etc.).

I wonder if they are going to start marking receipts, or putting the information in the receipt barcode to indicate that a certain pre-order promotion was used, that way if you picked up a fully-paid pre-order, you couldn't just return it to another local Ebgames, reviews be damned.

well considering how "newly enacted" this rule really is, i think we're going to have quite a few "customer service issues" where we have to let it slide just for the nascar promotion. You have to understand, that was a tracked preorder. in a lot of cases we were telling people with real shitty trade in values that they could get bonus credit if they reserved that, they just had to wait until it was out to cancel it.

Exactly, I was wondering if they had done anything to the receipts already, because if my plan fell through (which it did not), I was going to return it at another local EB. I mean, because if the receipts don't somehow note that I used the promotion, it's actually down to an honor system. "Did you trade in games for this?"

At that point, it's easy to lie. Now, I'm not a liar, even though I'd been told by my "associate" that if they try to screw me over with shitty preorder deals, I should screw them over by taking advantage.

Now, you said you believed in switching credit if the game sucked. Do you support preordering a game, fully knowing that you have no interest in the game, with the sole intent of switching it?

[quote name='varsitygamer']in a lot of cases we were telling people with real shitty trade in values that they could get bonus credit if they reserved that, they just had to wait until it was out to cancel it.[/QUOTE]

If you really did that, then you're really obligated to let those ones slide, huh?

I was the one who suggested it to the employee, and I got it cancelled right there. I was going to go back and do the same thing with another game, but it looks like I'll be doing the $5 extra deal now.

[quote name='Farny']If you really did that, then you're really obligated to let those ones slide, huh?

I was the one who suggested it to the employee, and I got it cancelled right there. I was going to go back and do the same thing with another game, but it looks like I'll be doing the $5 extra deal now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we pretty much have to unless we want the customers to pitch a fit. You see, here in CT the demand for Nascar... well, not so great. One good way to bump our presales (and to increase preowned trade and all that, as well as benefit the customers) was to let the customers know about pre-order promotions we had going on. and how they could benefit them even if they didn't want nascar.

[quote name='Farny']Exactly, I was wondering if they had done anything to the receipts already, because if my plan fell through (which it did not), I was going to return it at another local EB. I mean, because if the receipts don't somehow note that I used the promotion, it's actually down to an honor system. "Did you trade in games for this?"

At that point, it's easy to lie. Now, I'm not a liar, even though I'd been told by my "associate" that if they try to screw me over with shitty preorder deals, I should screw them over by taking advantage.

Now, you said you believed in switching credit if the game sucked. Do you support preordering a game, fully knowing that you have no interest in the game, with the sole intent of switching it?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I have no problem switching credit on a game I preorder through promotion. The only time I have taken advantage of this is through the NASCAR '06 trade in 4 promotion. IMHO, it was too good to pass up.

I don't think I am doing anything wrong, because the games I trade into Ebgames will be sold for at least 9.99, and most likely higher. Technically, and as far as I know, they will not be losing any money on the transaction. Even if the games I trade them only net them $55 in used game sales, they still make $5.00 in net income if I use the $50 credit on Nascar or another game.

Now, if they have some kind of backroom deal or something that lets them get Nascar cheaper than normal, so they can make more profit or something, that is not my concern, nor should it be any consumers.

And if it would help out my local EBgames' employees to have those preorders on their records, I would gladly wait until the game came out, take the preorder so they get credit, and then return it to another EB, where it will be logged as just another return.

Edit: If Varsitygamer has any insight into this, I would most appreciate it.

bread's done
Back