ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

These fucks just charged my account 14.99$. I opened an account with them when it originally launched with the amazon discount. Then when shit hit the fan I cancelled. Sent in a registered letter and all that BS. Got a text today saying my account was overdrawn 14.99 and bam its the fucking ECA. I just recently switched to a new bank and havent closed the account at the old one yet.

[quote name='nateeasy29']These fucks just charged my account 14.99$. I opened an account with them when it originally launched with the amazon discount. Then when shit hit the fan I cancelled. Sent in a registered letter and all that BS. Got a text today saying my account was overdrawn 14.99 and bam its the fucking ECA. I just recently switched to a new bank and havent closed the account at the old one yet.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap man that sucks.

^so are you saying that you were charged 3 times? 1)Initial Sign-up, 2) Last year when they failed to remove you from their auto renew, and 3) This year again?

Nope I wasn't charged last year. Just initially and now. Unless they somehow charged me and I missed it. Im checking now. I doubt it though. I check my accounts often.\

Just filed a complaint with the BBB, contacted my bank and emailed the eca.

Edit: Nope nothing last year. They skipped a year for me. I would check your accounts. I'm assuming I'm not the only one.

They're still at it?! I wasn't charged last year because I was part of the big CAG cancellation box, but if that doesn't matter then I'll definitely be keeping an eye for any charges on my renewal date. I only remember it because it was 9/11.

Ahahahahahahahaahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

fuck the ECA.

[quote name='nateeasy29']Nope I wasn't charged last year. Just initially and now. Unless they somehow charged me and I missed it. Im checking now. I doubt it though. I check my accounts often.\

Just filed a complaint with the BBB, contacted my bank and emailed the eca.

Edit: Nope nothing last year. They skipped a year for me. I would check your accounts. I'm assuming I'm not the only one.[/QUOTE]

Here is what ECA said about your issue when I informed them about it: "please send us an email with your first and last name so we can look into your account @ [email protected], thank you."
So you, and anyone else who this happens to, might want to give that a try.

Looks like Hal Halpin needs some more toupee glue so it's time to milk the usual suspects. Luckily I didn't fall prey to this scam, though it woulda been nice to have a couple(dozen) stacking 10% off codes for shit at Amazon, especially if it would've worked on a Prime membership.;)

[quote name='nateeasy29']Does anyone have the text where It said you had to mail in to cancel.[/QUOTE]

fuck all of that.

Like someone said, just do a charge back and have your bank deal with them. Seems like you've done that.

If you want to still deal with ECA, write back saying you mailed the letter back whenever all those letters were mailed with an approximate time frame. Say you were not charged last year, indicating that the letter was effective cancellation of your membership. Then say if they do not remove all of your information from their system, you will contact the attorney general of Connecticut as well as request a charge back on your credit card.

But seriously just charge back these motherfuckers at this point.

Here is something else ECA said: "It looks as though 2 of the ppl who were recent renewals were folks who had 2 accounts apiece and each canceled 1." No idea if that is true or not.

[quote name='kodave']
But seriously just charge back these motherfuckers at this point.[/QUOTE]

I've read that charge backs can hurt your credit rating, which seems to make sense because credit card companies and banks have to do extra work to return your money (regardless of how much they want you to think you're protected- they don't wanna do any extra work for you).

I wish the email account I signed up with was still active. It was a school email (I signed up before the free 1 year sub promo) which was deactivated when I graduated. Had I known, I would have used another email since it's pretty clear the ECA is a scam. I did cancel my account after they re-activated online cancellation though..

I doubt one charge back or the occasional charge back significantly hurts your credit rating. Maybe if you're doing it all the time your credit card company might get pissed and suspicious.

Last week I had an odd charge to my Wachovia account for $14.99, the title of the charge was "PURCHASE ENT. CONSUMER ASSO 09/13." So anyone who signed up for the ECA when they offered the free trial back in 2009, make sure you check your account and don't get charged like I did. I hope you all remember how the ECA screwed us all and set us all up in auto renewal back in 2009 while changing there terms and conditions without our knowledge. I tried to call and cancel the payment that was charged to my account, but the employees at the office play a game of pass the phone around. I know this is not a video game deal, but it could be affecting several fellow CAGers so just looking out for everyone and watch out for that $15 or $20 charge to your bank accounts labeled PURCHASE ENT. CONSUMER ASSO, at least that is what it shows up as under Wachovia.

Thanks for the heads up. Going to check if I have any charges when I get back home.

Update: Went to check anyways since this is fairly important. I don't see any 14.99 charge or anything from the ECA on my credit card statements. Then again, I did remember joining the list of consumers who sent in a snail mail to cancel my subscription since they did not accept email or phone cancellations at the time. Did you send one in at the time?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my Kramerica Credit Card for everything so I have close to a hundred charges a month, so I don't normally check that thoroughly, but I will now. Thanks for the heads up.

No clue if they've tried to charge me. Conveniently, the credit card I had back then was discontinued so I had to apply for a different one.

My credit card on their file was an old one that had been lost a while back. I now have a new credit card complete with new card numbers.

They can no longer charge my account since it's closed. Right?

[quote name='Jcaugustine']My credit card on their file was an old one that had been lost a while back. I now have a new credit card complete with new card numbers.

They can no longer charge my account since it's closed. Right?[/QUOTE]

Right.

39195898.jpg

I was never charged likely because the card I gave them expired before the renewal time.

Since the ECA came up... anyone else keep an order with the ECA discount open by continually adding pre-orders? I've managed to do this for nearly two years but within the last month Amazon reps started responding that they were unable to add new items to my orders. I've tried repeatedly - is there a means around this or is it time for my beloved discount to die?

Not hit, but I'm pretty sure the credit card number I used was old. Is it safe to assume this is hitting people who turned off auto renewal?

Always use a temporary/one-time use credit card number if your credit card provider has that option. Mine even lets me do recurring charges using these temp numbers.

Looks like ECA is still butthurt everyone cancelled once the Amazon codes were removed. Give it up already! Thankfully I used a prepaid CC.

[quote name='eau']Waiting for Gargus to post....[/QUOTE]

He's temporarily banned, so please stop bringing up his name so I can enjoy it.

bread's done
Back