ECA Discussion Thread - WARNING: Some CAGs Who Cancelled Are Being Auto-Renewed

When you cancel I thought they claim to remove all your information from their records? If they are still sending newsletters they may be in violation of this.

[quote name='sefjwm']When you cancel I thought they claim to remove all your information from their records? If they are still sending newsletters they may be in violation of this.[/QUOTE]

They do remove everything except your email address. When I went to unsubscribe, the only field that was filled out was the email addy.

These clowns have been sending me more spam mail as of late.
I'm not planning on wasting a stamp canceling this thing via snail mail; I'm sure they'll be more than pleased to talk to my CC company if they decide to charge me again and I file a dispute.

[quote name='sefjwm']Well they just banned me accusing me of reporting them to the BBB which I have yet to do. I guess I may have to since they aren't responding anymore. Kind of lame they ban there remaining members without proof.[/QUOTE]

Is reporting to the BBB against the TOS?
What a bunch of a-holes. :roll:

As for the e-mails:

On the bottom of each e-mail, there is a link "To unsubscribe/change profile:"

I haven't ended my membership with ECA yet, but I plan to. Is the only way to shut my account still by snail mail?

[quote name='mogamer']Is reporting to the BBB against the TOS?
What a bunch of a-holes. :roll:[/QUOTE]

It's not in any TOS I've seen. It's moot anyway since I haven't reported them.

[quote name='sinned47']does turning off auto renewal work? or does it still charge you when your membership has reached its end.[/QUOTE]
Would like to know this myself. My account doesn't expire til next month but today I turned off auto-renew and selected "no additional term." I had to click through about 5 screens and 2 ads before the changes saved.

[quote name='Siterath']Seems the BBB has finally reissued a rating to the ECA ...

A-[/QUOTE]

If the issues are resolved, that is what is supposed to happen. It's when they ignore issues or don't resolve them in a reasonable manner that the rating drops. Companies aren't penalized just because consumers complain, they get hit for ignoring those complaints or dismissing them without attempts to resolve the issue.

Like many of you, I decided to wait for the dust to settle before trying to cancel my account, which I did today. Sorry to bump an old thread, but there appear to have been changes to the process since the last post in this thread. My account of the process follows.

- The ECA FAQ page was recently revised. It no longer claims that ECA is in the process of updating its "accounting module" to allow online cancellations. Instead, the page simply advises that disabling auto-renew and cancelling a membership can be done online. I saved a copy of this page.

- After logging in, I clicked on the links entitled "Manage My Profile," "Edit Account," and "Membership Status" and selected the "No Additional Term, Thanks" option. After submitting that change, I returned to my profile page, which showed my Membership Status as "No Additional Term, Thanks." I saved a copy of this page, too.

- I returned to the "Membership Status" page with the renewal options and again selected the "No Additional Term, Thanks" option. This time, I followed the additional steps to cancel my account.

- To my surprise, I immediately received an e-mail acknowledging that my membership had been terminated.

To my mind, ECA has satisfactorily remedied the account cancellation process that provoked our justifiable outrage. I consider the matter closed and hope that ECA has learned the lesson that employing classic anti-consumer tactics is not a sensible way to grow a consumer organization.

Can I get a quick n dirty update on this?

I did not send my name in with "the box" at the time that was sent out- is there any way to cancel my ECA script online or via phone call? Or are they still sticking to the certified post nonesense?

Thanks

fuck

I just got charged $19.99
I have an e-mail from Dec 18, 2009 still saved when my membership was canceled.

EVERYONE WHO CANCELED PLEASE CHECK. Ugh, sick of these cock sucking crooks!!!!!

[quote name='lilboo']fuck

EVERYONE WHO CANCELED PLEASE CHECK. Ugh, sick of these cock sucking crooks!!!!![/QUOTE]

Call your credit card company, tell them it is a fraudulent charge, and charge it back. You have the proof it was canceled, you need to stick it back to them. Don't even waste your time dealing with ECA, as they were incompetent enough to charge you after you cancelled.

Wow, if that's true. Mine isn't up until September, or wouldn't be had I not quit, but I also have proof of that email. Man, that's effed up.

If others start showing charges after cancellation, these assholes deserve to burn.

EVERYONE WHO CANCELED PLEASE CHECK. Ugh, sick of these cock sucking crooks!!!!![/QUOTE]

And it begins!

Sorry to hear that, I'm just very curious about how widespread this will be, especially since we're nearing summer where the first wave of paying customers signed up for the Amazon discount a year ago.

I assume your email looked like this below, so much for them removing the fucking credit card info. I'm betting this is about to blow up again lol.

-Thank you for your letter requesting to terminate your membership with the Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA). This notice is confirmation that your request has been processed and your membership in the organization, cancelled.
All credit card information relevant to processing your dues has been removed, so if you wish to re-join the association going forward new/updated payment information will need to be manually re-entered.
To re-join the ECA, please visit http://www.theeca.com.
Thank you.-

I got charged too 19.99. I had to search the phone number on the charge to try and figure out what it was. I had completely forgotten about it. I have my email from 12-16-09 as well. fucking bullshit! I think the thread title needs to be changed possibly and this needs to be publicized more. I think it's going to happen to a lot of us.

Hmmm... Reminds me I never cancelled my membership. I'll do it now and see around July-ish if they try to charge me, the bastards...

NVM - I do have the auto-renewal set to "Off" so that should be enough. I did sign up my wife and then cancelled hers through the mass letter package sent in by CAGs. I never even used the codes on her account either. That is probably the one I need to watch out for more as I can't even log in to that and check the status any more.

Anyone else interested in Hal's statement no doubt clarifying that by indeed sending in a mailed letter of cancellation and receiving from the eca a follow up email confirming the canceling of your account that the process didn't actually work and was never meant to be an option to begin with. To cancel you must effectively die *and even then your estate will continue to be billed forever.

I received my cancellation email on 12/23/09 and just saw I was charged $19.99 today. I will be contacting my CC company in the morning. I also emailed them informing them of the issue.

God fucking dammit. I can't believe I have to think about these pieces of shit again.

Currently wracking my brain to remember when I signed up for the ECA. I think it was between August and September of last year.

Somehow I knew this would happen all along and I bet Cag vs. Eca 2 gets a lot messier now that they've got to be breaking some laws by doing this shit.

I bet this is just because Hal had to go for CAG Villian of the year for a second straight year. He was in danger of being forgotten this year ;).

holy shit!

Glad I have canceled the bank account I used since then. Motherfuckers.

[quote name='io']I bet this is just because Hal had to go for CAG Villian of the year for a second straight year. He was in danger of being forgotten this year ;).[/QUOTE]
Lol :applause:

I think it's been about a year since I joined the ECA so the charge is on schedule.

I canceled via the Google letter that was sent as well as the google postcard that you could send individually as well. I don't remember canceling on the website.

I find it funny how they mention in the email that my CC info has been deleted from the system and yet I get charged. Ridiculous.

I still have the cancellation e-mail, and I've requested back statements from my CC company to see when exactly the initial charge showed up. If it recurs, I should be able to file a chargeback without problem.

IIRC, I used a CC number that was canceled and re-issued. Theoretically, if they try to charge that card, it will come back declined.

I wonder if cheapy or a mod might think it's worth a sticky in the deals forum to get people to check their statements. Honestly, I only regularly visit the VG Deals, BR Deals, 360, PS3 and Wii forums here. If I hadn't seen the thread on dvdtalk get bumped, I wouldn't have known canceled members are getting charged. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on my credit card statements over the next couple months.

Someone who was charged should contact them. Given their previous assertions that they didn't know about the billing functionality of their own website it's entirely possible they have no idea this is even happening. If its simply a matter if some error on their end, it could save a lot of people the headache of dealing with this if the eca was alerted. I cannot imagine they wouldn't swiftly fix this given the December backlash.

Oh this is fucked up, I honestly thought this was over and done with.:bomb: I think this should have a sticky on the deals page, people need to be aware of whats happening, not everyone checks this forum like they do the deals forum.

This needs to be on the frontpage in giant red letters now. I'm fairly sure most people have removed their subscriptions or are ignoring the thread by now.

OMG. You have to be kidding me.
I was in the first batch of cancels and have a email from 12/23/09 saying cancellation, deleted yada yada yada...
No charge as of yet but I'm approaching my renew date I believe.:bomb:

I just canceled my subscription yesterday (I chose not auto renew)....Does that mean it's going to be auto-renewed? I didn't get a cancellation e-mail...I check when I get hope but I hope it's not auto renewed on a service I didn't use....Signed up 10/09/2009 and canceled yesterday (4/22/2010). Anybody? How long did it take to get your cancellation e-mail?

For what it's worth, I canceled through their website on March 14 (with email confirmation) and my account was not auto-renewed. I originally signed up on April 20, 2009.

Everyone should file complaints with the BBB to change their rating. This is ridiculous that they are doing all this crap.

When I try to log-in to the ECA site I get this message:
The username brotherdaz has not been activated or is blocked.

I dont know if that means anything or not

If mine was going to auto-renew, it won't happen until September. But thanks for the heads up on this. I will be following this thread very closely to see where this goes over the next few days.

bread's done
Back