Eckerd DVD Clearance (75% OFF!!! SUPERHOT)

DerangedHermit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
At my local Eckerd (in Medford, NY), they had alll their DVDs for 75% off). They had stuff including Spiderman 2 SE, LotR: RotK, TTT and Harry Potter: Prisoner of Asbakan (sp?). This may not be YMMV because a FW memeber said the deal was also going on at an Eckerd in Valdosta, GA.

I heard there also may be copies of The Incredibles and Finding Nemo at other Eckerds, so this is SUPER MEGA HYPER DUPER ULTRA HOT

All the Tallahassee Eckerds turned into CVSs awhile back so I might be out of luck. Sounds like it might be good for some of you though. DVDs never really go on 'clearance' so this would be cool if nationwide.

These were actually on display at the front counter at my Eckerd, so I doubt they'll last long.

All $6.24 or less
Shrek 2
Spiderman 2
Lord of the Rings Return of the King
Harry Potter Prisoner of Azkaban
Lion King 2 Simba's Pride
Bambi
Aladdin
Brother Bear
Mulan
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Alice in Wonderland
Catwoman
The Terminal
White Chicks
Ray

There may have been more. VHS versions are $4.99.

Eckerd Store locator:
http://www2.eckerd.com/StoreLocator.asp?cookie_test=1

Thanks OP! I picked up:

Mulan (2 disc) - $6.24
Alice In Wonderland (2 disc) - $6.24

I also saw some really cheap ones like Spaceballs (1 disc) for $1.99 and Bridget Jones' Diary for $1.99.

Buyer beware though as a lot of the titles were in fullscreen. I would've picked up Around the World in 80 Days and Ray but both were fullscreen only.

This clearance MAY also include video games. I saw a PS2 game as part of it (same red clearance sticker and sitting with the DVDs) - RTX Red Rock for $4.99. I also saw a generic PC game for $1.99.

I asked the manager what was going on and he said the supplier of the DVDs changed ownership and wouldn't allow Eckerd to send back all unsold stock. This basically forced them to put them on clearance. He also stated that in the first or second week of July, whatever DVDs that don't sell will be further clearanced, probably to 90% off.

Finally, it's NOT all DVDs. Recently released titles like National Treasure and Racing Stripes are still regular price.

Plenty of VHS, only one Spiderman 2 DVD. I also checked to see if the clearance includes newer DVDs (Aviator, Are We There Yet), but it didnt work.

Didn't find anything that great at my store, picked up The Powerpuff Girl movie on VHS for $1.00 for my sister. Has anyone tried to see if PS2 games are 75% off as well? A few months ago, I saw a display of PS2 games for $19.99 each, last month they were 50% off but it wasn't anything that great. Since a lot of the VHS tapes and DVD's were tagged 50% off but the signs said 75% off, I wonder if the games are 75% off as well so they would be $5. I would have checked but I didn't see any games.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Didn't find anything that great at my store, picked up The Powerpuff Girl movie on VHS for $1.00 for my sister. Has anyone tried to see if PS2 games are 75% off as well? A few months ago, I saw a display of PS2 games for $19.99 each, last month they were 50% off but it wasn't anything that great. Since a lot of the VHS tapes and DVD's were tagged 50% off but the signs said 75% off, I wonder if the games are 75% off as well so they would be $5. I would have checked but I didn't see any games.[/QUOTE]

RTX Red Rock for PS2 was red-tagged at $4.99 at the one I went to. Some forgettable PC game was red-tagged at $1.99.

So it does sound like all the games will be 75% off then, the only problem I guess is finding something worth getting, even at $5, since the few games I can remember from the last time when they were 50% weren't that great, High Heat 2003, Starsky & Hutch and some others.

Grabbed for $6.24 Each (DVD):

The Bourne Supremacy
Collateral
King Arthur
Troy
The Manchurian Candidate
Shrek 2

Thanks OP! :D

picked up star wars trilogy, albeit its full screen edition. it was red tagged $30, down from regular price of $60, but when the cashier scanned it, it came up $15. couldn't resist.

I was late to the party only managed to snagg

DodgeBall
Van helsing
My cousin vinney(only $2)
Finding Nemo

all were 2 disc collections except Vinney and were $6

[quote name='argyle']Has anyone checked a CVS on the off-chance that they are doing this too?[/QUOTE]

I manage a CVS. DVD's are sent back to the wholesaler after a certain amount of time. We don't mark them down. You may find a store that marks them down, but it would be rare.

[quote name='jedi_dad']I manage a CVS. DVD's are sent back to the wholesaler after a certain amount of time. We don't mark them down. You may find a store that marks them down, but it would be rare.[/QUOTE]

According to the Eckerds manager I talked to, the reason they were clearancing the DVDs was because the wholesaler would not take them back (the wholesaler either changed ownership or went out of business).

Mine was mostly out, but I got these:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (for the wife) DVD: 2.49
Lethal Weapon DVD: 3.24
Wedding Singer DVD: 3.24
The Villiage DVD: 6.24
Spiderman 2 DVD: 6.24
The Road Warrior DVD: 3.24
Tin Cup (Great Movie) DVD: 3.24

Confirmation on the following as well - All DVDs:

Raising Helen - $6.24
Peter Pan - $6.24
Dodgeball - $6.24
The Alamo - $6.24
The Terminal - $6.24

PS2 games are ringing up $1.99 for me. Future Tactics and Hard Hitter Tennis. One of them showed up as PS2 Pacman on the receipt.

I went to 2 Eckerds and saw a few different DVDs.

$6.24
Manchurian Candidate
Terminator 3
Anchorman
Bourne Supremacy
The Alamo
The Fighting Temptations
Freaky Friday
Dickey Roberts

$5.49
Alien Vs Predator

$2.49
The Thin Red Line
Jason's Lyric
BiggsTown
Rollerball
Bright Lights Bright City

$1.50
Non-Disney Aladdin
Non Disney Cinderella
A bunch of Preview DVDs

[quote name='inca']Whats eckerd's? Never heard of the store.[/QUOTE]

A drug store, it's a lot like Sav-on or Rite-Aid if you have those in your area.

[quote name='Josef']According to the Eckerds manager I talked to, the reason they were clearancing the DVDs was because the wholesaler would not take them back (the wholesaler either changed ownership or went out of business).[/QUOTE]

yes. Eckerd used a different media wholesaler. when we bought out Eckerd, we took control over their inventory. the wholesaler that we use now will not allow returns from another wholesaler, so the DVD's were marked down. the DVD's ship with another sticker and UPC on their shrink wrap. plus, you couldn't send back more than what you ordered.

I was merely stating that CVS' wouldn't be doing the same thing. the DVD's we get are guaranteed sales. someone asked about CVS' and I replied.

And I was in my Eckard's earlier today picking up my medicine. I should have looked. Guess I'll be going back tomorrow.

If anyone still has a location with stock, or has some extra dvd's they purchased, I'd love to grab a sealed copy of shrek 2, lotr: rotk, or hp: prisoner of azkaban. Those are the three I am looking for, would 8$ shipped work? I guess just pm me or whatever if you snagged anything on this deal.

thanks,
stew

[quote name='quailman']I'll definitely take that Thin Red Line off you.[/QUOTE]

I checked for it yesterday, but it has since been sold. Most of the DVDs are gone, but there are still quite a few VHS.

[quote name='lee']is this deal for every ekerds? and for every dvd they have in the store?[/QUOTE]

Every Eckerd should be having the clearance. It's not every DVD, but most of them. Recently released DVDs aren't part of it.

Between the two Eckerds that I went to, there was only a small handful of DVDs, and most of that was crap. I decided to buy a copy of the DVD of A Guy Thing for $2.49. It's not that great of a movie, but I decided it was worth the $2.49 since I'm a fan of Jason Lee (who really needs to hire a better agent or something).

My eckard had a few DVDS , I checked had them check the price this morning (SUNDAY) and they were all full price. The lady said the sale is over. Anyone else getting sale prices on Sunday?

Went to my local Eckerd's this morning and bought the following...

Hellboy - $6.24
Frequency - $3.24
Misery - $2.49

They had some other DVDs left but mostly kids' titles (including a slew of Olsen Twins crap).

bread's done
Back