EGM Rumors and Review Scores

Funny that EGM brings this 007 thing up now, because I recently just posted this:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3684625#post3684625

DO WE HAVE A EGM LURK? Just kidding.

To those of you who think 007 didn't age well, you are right, but considering how many deals MS would have to cut to get this done, I would say that they wouldn't be foolish enough to do a straight port. Instead they would tweak the graphics, the player models, gun models and controls.

[quote name='help1']Funny that EGM brings this 007 thing up now, because I recently just posted this:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3684625#post3684625

DO WE HAVE A EGM LURK? Just kidding.

To those of you who think 007 didn't age well, you are right, but considering how many deals MS would have to cut to get this done, I would say that they wouldn't be foolish enough to do a straight port. Instead they would tweak the graphics, the player models, gun models and controls.[/QUOTE]

The problem isn't that the graphics haven't aged well, it's that the gameplay straight up sucks. It was archaic back in 1997 thanks to what games like Quake had already done on the PC and I can't imagine it being anywhere near playable now.

I don't think "didn't age well" is a believable excuse, having played some of the cell-phone-quality XBLA and PSN games this gen.

If you didn't think it aged well, don't fuckin' buy it.

screw aging, it's all about no$talgia. I'm sure there are tons of people who would impulse buy it just because. Probably enough to make it worth it to Rare, EA, and MS. or whoever that license is tied up with.

on a side note, after playing the Arkadian Warriors demo I came to realize that 1- there is no god and 2- no limit on how shitty a game can be before it's turned down. quality isn't an issue.

I'd pick up Goldeneye...it had a fun single player campaign and of course...multiplayer was bangin.

We actually played it on N64 a few months back and once you get use to the odd controller it's just as fun as it was many years ago. Other than the graphics and funny controls (compared to recent console FPS's) I'd say it aged pretty well.

[quote name='pete5883']Persona 4 has not been "announced," it was mentioned in a Japanese Bloomberg article about Atlus. An article that could be wrong, seeing as they didn't have any actual details on the game.[/QUOTE]
It has been announced. It's going to tie into the Persona anime that's coming out this year and is coming out for PS2.

[quote name='62t']In Japan there are two version of Persona 3 FES, one that doesnt require Persona 3, and one that requires you to own a copy of Persona 3 the first time you playing. Given the difficulty of finding Persona 3, I would assume that if Atlus decides to release FES at all, it would not require P3.[/quote]

I see Persona 3 here all the time, I was just at the mall, both SEARS and Gamestop had brand new copies of it.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']It has been announced. It's going to tie into the Persona anime that's coming out this year and is coming out for PS2.[/QUOTE]
Link me. I see 1 post on the Atlus USA boards claiming that Bloomberg got the info from an Atlus statement, but the rest of the internet is just claiming Bloomberg as a source.

[quote name='Rozz']I see Persona 3 here all the time, I was just at the mall, both SEARS and Gamestop had brand new copies of it.[/QUOTE]
t might be available for you locally, but it is going for quit a bit on ebay.

As for Persona 4, the platform is still unconfirmed until you see something Atlus Japan's web site or actual magazine scan. Lately there has been a lot of fake info.

I got the issue in the mail today and was surprised that nobody has mentioned the last part of the 4 Guitar Hero games rumor:

"And one may star a group that rocks in mysterious ways."

It's obviously U2, but I wonder why nobody noticed or mentioned it.

[quote name='Poor2More']weird KOF:COD got a 34/40 from Fumitsu magazine, so what ever EGM says is DEAD to me[/QUOTE]

Way to go, moron. Famitsu is basically an advertising rag that rates based on what advertisers want or expectations of the gamers. Time to get off the japanophile high horse, because Famitsu reviews games about as critically as Maxim. You lose.

[quote name='swetooth9']wait, when does culdcept come out?

i thought that was next month? a review already?[/QUOTE]

feb. 5th. print reviews are usually ahead of time.

[quote name='modium']I got the issue in the mail today and was surprised that nobody has mentioned the last part of the 4 Guitar Hero games rumor:

It's obviously U2, but I wonder why nobody noticed or mentioned it.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking it was gonna be something off kilter....like outkast.

[quote name='jer7583']Way to go, moron. Famitsu is basically an advertising rag that rates based on what advertisers want or expectations of the gamers. Time to get off the japanophile high horse, because Famitsu reviews games about as critically as Maxim. You lose.[/quote]

They did give Red Steel an 85% (34/40).

It's funny how Maxim/Blender constantly reviews games months before release.

[quote name='modium']I got the issue in the mail today and was surprised that nobody has mentioned the last part of the 4 Guitar Hero games rumor:

It's obviously U2, but I wonder why nobody noticed or mentioned it.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that as well. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if U2 debuted the first single from their new album in 2008 through the game. They're pretty savvy about those things, thinking back especially to the Vertigo iPod commercial from several years back.

[quote name='007'] Why is it that games that people were perfectly happy with a decade ago are considering nigh unplayable now? Are gamers so coddled by pretty graphics now that it's beneath us to have to put up with things like jaggies, heavy fog, blocky people, and vague black shadows that are supposedly indictating a face? It's a hallmark of that generation and, with few exceptions, certainly doesn't make the game 'unplayable' now. [/quote]

Speaking only for myself, looks are not an issue except when it comes to frame rate and how the mechanics of the game engine affects the gameplay. If the game is a choppy mess, if control is difficult because the game can't keep up with you, if you die because of glitches, frame skips, terrible cameras, or 3D weirdness, then that's unplayable.

The PS1/Saturn/N64 era is one where the designers reached for things the hardware just wasn't able to accomplish well. Many of the ideas were good, but the execution was anywhere from decent to headache inducing.

Gamers put up with those things back in the day because there was no choice, unless you dropped a lot of money into a PC. You had the console -- many of the games were the best that the console could possibly do.

So I would qualify "unplayable" a bit -- there are a lot of games from this generation that aren't unplayable, but the options available now are so much better in every way.

So, I suppose my general question is... if GoldenEye hasn't aged well, why? What games would you say have aged well? What's changed in the past 10 years that makes you unable to enjoy the game as much as you did back then?

10 years of refinements to game design, maybe? The really good games learn from and build on what came before. 10 years of improved technology -- not for pretty graphics, but for engines that can actually implement what the game designers thought up. I remember the day when 30fps was considered the A+ gold standard and 60fps was an unachievable dream. Anything over 20fps was considered good.

I won't speak for Goldeneye -- I never owned it. I remember trying it in a store on a demo unit at the time. I had a reasonable PC, and I found it clunky. But if I didn't have that PC, I'm sure my opinion would be very different.

An example of something that did age well is Sin & Punishment. It clearly looks like a N64 game, but the gameplay is smooth and fluid. I don't have any control problems, the frame rate doesn't make my eyes hurt, and the ideas in the game have been executed well. It is fun to play, period, and when playing it, I don't think of everything that's wrong with it. I just enjoy the game.

An example of something that did not age well is Burning Rangers. Bad control, bad framerate, and bad camera. The ideas behind the game are compelling, but the execution is lacking and it's hard not to think of everything that has been accomplished in 3D gaming since and how an updated game would be so much better. It's also hard to play knowing that I have plenty of similar games that follow through with their game concepts much better. Why wouldn't I go play Metroid Prime 3 instead?

I went and looked at some Burning Rangers reviews just now, just to see what people at the time said about it. Most were complementary, and talked about how good it was for a Saturn game. Impressive, even.

So yeah -- I don't want to bag on it too hard. It did the best it could, had some great ideas, and was a good experience for the time. But now? You could do so much better.

I was pretty surprised at the KUF game getting panned like it did.. I knew alot of people that where looking forward to it.

The good scores on burnout paradise reassure that this game is worth a purchase. I've played the demo alot and it's a whole lot of fun to play with friends.

bread's done
Back