EGM Virtua Fighter 5 review, they love it

EGM still has a hard on for one on one fighters.

Unfortunately, 99% of the american public does not, and this game will probably bomb both on 360 and PS3. Sad but true, the new crappy Def Jam will outsell it by a factor of 10 or more, just because it has rappers in it.

Still good to hear positive things, because I WANT THIS GAME.

Hype hype hype. ffs, there's not even any online modes on it. There's no way a non-online next-gen fighting game is worth a 10.

[quote name='Scorch']Hype hype hype. ffs, there's not even any online modes on it. There's no way a non-online next-gen fighting game is worth a 10.[/quote]
That was the only reason the two 9.5s didnt give it a 10.

[quote name='jer7583']EGM still has a hard on for one on one fighters.

Unfortunately, 99% of the american public does not, and this game will probably bomb both on 360 and PS3. Sad but true, the new crappy Def Jam will outsell it by a factor of 10 or more, just because it has rappers in it.

Still good to hear positive things, because I WANT THIS GAME.[/QUOTE]

I dunno. If you listen to 1up, which at least 1 of those reviewers is a part of (Shane), they continually talk about how completely irrelevent and stagnant the fighting genre has become for video games.

Edit-What the hell? I read the article and its like Shane has flipped his opinion of fighters (virtua fighter especially) 100%.

Not saying the game isn't excellent for what it's supposed to be (and what its fans are expecting), but what I am saying is that I'm surprised that with Shane Bettenhausen as one of the reviewers, subscribers' copies of the issue aren't arriving with the review's pages stuck together.

[quote name='Scorch']Hype hype hype. ffs, there's not even any online modes on it. There's no way a non-online next-gen fighting game is worth a 10.[/quote]
There is one reason, and that is because real fighting games cant be online. But thats for another thread.

Virtua Fighter 5 really is an excellent game. It's got an ungodly amount of depth and a ton of single player stuff to do. Yeah, there's no online mode, but considering the nature of VF, playing laggy matches online would be awful. I'm guessing this'll be the kind of game that a lot of people will buy and that 90% of those people will trade in after a couple of days because it is not friendly to newcomers... but for everyone who likes fighting games and who has the competance to learn to play something well, this should be incredible.

I'm guessing this'll be the kind of game that a lot of people will buy and that 90% of those people will trade in after a couple of days because it is not friendly to newcomers...

Which is why I'll be getting it for the 360 well after its release, and probably used on eBay. Don't know hardcore fighting game fans, not paying $60 to spar with the CPU endlessly.

I think I made this same exact post when some other reviewers scored it high, but this isn't surprising. VF games are always shining examples of good game development.

I hate to see games get points off for what they don't have, but I would take an online version of VF, even if it is inherently broken and not catered to tournament level play-- it's still fun as hell. (and that's what this hobby is supposed to be about...eh?)

I dunno. If you listen to 1up, which at least 1 of those reviewers is a part of (Shane), they continually talk about how completely irrelevent and stagnant the fighting genre has become for video games.

Edit-What the hell? I read the article and its like Shane has flipped his opinion of fighters (virtua fighter especially) 100%.

not sure who Shane is, but he sounds like a turd. Fighting games haven't become stagnant, the market for them has. The sequels for the major games (everything but MK) continue to outdo the ones before them. Fighters still offer the deepest experience of any genre too.

[quote name='Apossum']I think I made this same exact post when some other reviewers scored it high, but this isn't surprising. VF games are always shining examples of good game development.

I hate to see games get points off for what they don't have, but I would take an online version of VF, even if it is inherently broken and not catered to tournament level play-- it's still fun as hell. (and that's what this hobby is supposed to be about...eh?)

not sure who Shane is, but he sounds like a turd. Fighting games haven't become stagnant, the market for them has. The sequels for the major games (everything but MK) continue to outdo the ones before them. Fighters still offer the deepest experience of any genre too.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think Shane is really into fighting games... or at least, he goes on and on about how much he likes Virtua Fighter... maybe he doesn't like 2D fighters, but I know that he was a big fan of the VF and Soul Calibur series... but yeah, fighting games haven't become stagnant.

I think Shane is an idiot... sure he's a fanboy of fighting games, but he has a huge misunderstanding of why they are good and why they aren't(specific games).

I would buy this game if it had an online mode.

How can a game be considered "next gen" when it has no online to speak of?

[quote name='Ivanhoe']I would buy this game if it had an online mode.

How can a game be considered "next gen" when it has no online to speak of?[/quote]

Haven't Sega and Namco refused for their fighters to go online because they're too sensitive to work correctly.

Get some local friends.
I've played a couple online fighting games recently, VERY hit and miss.

I'd rather have no online mode than shitty laggy online mode like I've gotten with the last two DOA games where I can't enjoy the online play anyway because it's so laggy.

Game Informer slammed VF big time because of the lack of online play. They still gave it an 8/ 8.5, but the whole review was a bitch about lack of online play.

This game will get high scores, because it has the best gameplay... since when is a fighting game's worth dependent on it having online play, or even a good story. When it comes to fighting games, it's all about the fight.. and Virtual Fighter imo will always be better than Tekken, Soul Calibur, and Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat.. because there's no flukes... there's no real cheapness that I can think of in the Virtual Fighter games.... remember... Tekken and Soul Calibur basically copied this game, with their Tekken Dojo, and SC around the world.. (whatever it's called)...

I'm giving this game all the credit... now where's that weapon's based figher... ?!

[quote name='Thomas96']This game will get high scores, because it has the best gameplay... since when is a fighting game's worth dependent on it having online play, or even a good story. When it comes to fighting games, it's all about the fight.. and Virtual Fighter imo will always be better than Tekken, Soul Calibur, and Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat.. because there's no flukes... there's no real cheapness that I can think of in the Virtual Fighter games.... remember... Tekken and Soul Calibur basically copied this game, with their Tekken Dojo, and SC around the world.. (whatever it's called)...

I'm giving this game all the credit... now where's that weapon's based figher... ?![/QUOTE]

I agree with a lot of that. Whenever I attempt to check out the tutorial in VF4, I always think of how all other fighting games are just made of bits and pieces of VF :lol: to an extent of course...

it seems like there's going to be a huge stink over the online mode. maybe that'll finally convince them to put in on the 360. Even if the online mode sucks, it'll quadruple the game's sales.

[quote name='Apossum']I agree with a lot of that. Whenever I attempt to check out the tutorial in VF4, I always think of how all other fighting games are just made of bits and pieces of VF :lol: to an extent of course...

it seems like there's going to be a huge stink over the online mode. maybe that'll finally convince them to put in on the 360. Even if the online mode sucks, it'll quadruple the game's sales.[/QUOTE]

I definitely don't think a game should lose points for what it doesn't have.. (in this case online)... when people review a game, review it for what it is.. not for what it could have been.. This game should have been online... just like Cheapy said on the show.. he doesn't want to buy it... because he doesn't want to play it alone... and I feel him on that.. Online for xbox and ps3 is strong enough now that all games can support it.. Virtual Fighter is the perfect game for people to play online... I wonder if its possible for Sega to release an add on disc that can download to your xbox and ps3, thus giving the game the ability to go online.. (could be a good solution).

[quote name='Thomas96']I definitely don't think a game should lose points for what it doesn't have.. (in this case online)... when people review a game, review it for what it is.. not for what it could have been.. [/QUOTE]

So games that are too short shouldn't be marked down because they only last about 4-6 hours?

[quote name='guyver2077']wait this game doesnt have an online mode?

im waiting for 360 version but if theres no online mode..... thats a big strike![/quote]

That would be weird if it had no XBL compatibility, still I can understand why it wouldn't...

[quote name='ZForce']I'd rather have no online mode than shitty laggy online mode like I've gotten with the last two DOA games where I can't enjoy the online play anyway because it's so laggy.[/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree with you there. I ended up buying DOA4 shortly after the Xbox 360 launch because of the games drought there and the online mode was severely laggy and pointless. It was a huge dissapointment.

That would be weird if it had no XBL compatibility, still I can understand why it wouldn't...

Leaderboards. Just prepare yourself for the thrill of leaderboards. (I support their decision to endure the ire of gamers wanting online play over the ire of gamers bitching about 'broken' online play...it's just sad that it can't work yet.)

[quote name='ZForce']I'd rather have no online mode than shitty laggy online mode like I've gotten with the last two DOA games where I can't enjoy the online play anyway because it's so laggy.[/QUOTE]

You see, this here makes no sense to me.

Even if 9 times out of 10 a game is laggy at least you have that one time it works well. If you aren't a win ratio whore then having a occasional laggy fighting game isn't the end of the world.

The thing I hate about modern fighters is even when I do have a human player to play against. I'm usually so much better then the person playing with me that it's not fun. At least if I go on line I can see how much I really do suck.

I really like sega and I think I'll wait for the eventual Cheaper EVO version that I'm sure will be released down the line.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']There is one reason, and that is because real fighting games cant be online. But thats for another thread.[/QUOTE]
Real fighting games can't be on consoles, either. Unless perhaps your console is a Neo Geo AES.

The arcade experience is all about having human beings to play against, and the controls to a lesser extent. If you're going to make the concession and have the game with inferior controls (and possibly inferiority in other aspects) on a console, you might as well do your best to replicate the experience of having lots of people on hand to play against. I'm disappointed this won't be online.

[quote name='vinhjdao']So games that are too short shouldn't be marked down because they only last about 4-6 hours?[/QUOTE]

Should Gears of War get a less score because it's one player campaign is on the short end... heck no... because the things that is does, it does well.
Just like any other game, 4-6 hours is a negative, but I dont think that a game should lose points just because its short.. or missing one feature. VF is still a full fledged game. That's why I like EGM, because they have the pros and cons list for each game.. VF not having online... is more of a CON, and not a reason to discredit, or not give credit to the hard work that was put into the graphics and excellent gameplay.

[quote name='vinhjdao']So games that are too short shouldn't be marked down because they only last about 4-6 hours?[/QUOTE]

If you played a game that was incredible but marked it down for being short, you'd be an idiot. Why does a game absolutely need to be long? Whatever happened to quality over quantity?

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Game Informer slammed VF big time because of the lack of online play. They still gave it an 8/ 8.5, but the whole review was a bitch about lack of online play.[/quote]

Deservedly so.

[quote name='Apossum']it seems like there's going to be a huge stink over the online mode. maybe that'll finally convince them to put in on the 360. Even if the online mode sucks, it'll quadruple the game's sales.[/quote]

I have been saying that for the longest time.

The people who think it will stink CAN STILL PLAY THEIR PERFECT VERSION OFFLINE, and everyone else can use online if they choose. Sega isn't the AAA game maker they used to be and they need to do everything they can to remain relevant.

I want VF5 to stay offline. I don't want to deal with laggy online play because then online becomes no fun. Personally, I enjoy just playing against A.I., which I can hopefully do in VF5 (can't in DoA4 due to unbalanced A.I. offline).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I want VF5 to stay offline. I don't want to deal with laggy online play because then online becomes no fun. Personally, I enjoy just playing against A.I., which I can hopefully do in VF5 (can't in DoA4 due to unbalanced A.I. offline).[/quote]

If they include online, there will still be an offline mode for you. It's not like it would be online only.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I want VF5 to stay offline. I don't want to deal with laggy online play because then online becomes no fun. Personally, I enjoy just playing against A.I., which I can hopefully do in VF5 (can't in DoA4 due to unbalanced A.I. offline).[/QUOTE]

not sure why it would matter to you whether there was an online mode....

and doa4 is easy on Very Hard, learn to play it right.

[quote name='KingDox']You see, this here makes no sense to me.

Even if 9 times out of 10 a game is laggy at least you have that one time it works well. If you aren't a win ratio whore then having a occasional laggy fighting game isn't the end of the world.

The thing I hate about modern fighters is even when I do have a human player to play against. I'm usually so much better then the person playing with me that it's not fun. At least if I go on line I can see how much I really do suck.

I really like sega and I think I'll wait for the eventual Cheaper EVO version that I'm sure will be released down the line.[/QUOTE]

actually that's incorrect. the DOA4 Lag and game design for multiplayer was so bad that I wished I hadn't wasted my time even trying the stupid thing. Hence it was a negative effect on the game overall by being a complete utter waste of time.

I'll end the thread now.

Online mode would suck, but it would appease the few. I'd never use it though.

Sega (and Namco) have pride in their fighters, they won't allow a big part of the experience to suck.

So, sorry. No online.

[quote name='dallow']I'll end the thread now.

Online mode would suck, but it would appease the few. I'd never use it though.

Sega (and Namco) have pride in their fighters, they won't allow a big part of the experience to suck.

So, sorry. No online.[/QUOTE]

you see, there are less hardcore fighting fans than casual ones. so, no online is what appeases the few.

Business decisions aren't so subjective either...if the company decides the game needs to go online, the dev teams need to respond to that, as they are lower in the chain of command. Though devs talk big in interviews, they really don't have as much creative control as they might lead you to believe.

The Japanese are not that in to online gaming to begin with and Sega and Namco get more money from the arcades, so fine tuning it for offline play pays off in Japan. If they ever put 2 and 2 together, they'd see that an online mode would attract American players in a similar fashion, as it would boost sales for the game.

and that's....how it is.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Deservedly so.

I have been saying that for the longest time.

The people who think it will stink CAN STILL PLAY THEIR PERFECT VERSION OFFLINE, and everyone else can use online if they choose. Sega isn't the AAA game maker they used to be and they need to do everything they can to remain relevant.[/QUOTE]

When Sega became a developer only.. I thought they were going to get as big as EA.. and have some power with their games.. but since becoming a developer they haven't done enough.. I wish they would just focus on making good games out of all their franchises.. like Nintendo does.

[quote name='Thomas96']When Sega became a developer only.. I thought they were going to get as big as EA.. and have some power with their games.. but since becoming a developer they haven't done enough.. I wish they would just focus on making good games out of all their franchises.. like Nintendo does.[/quote]

Whatcha talking about? Their sonic games recently have been awesome! :roll:

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Whatcha talking about? Their sonic games recently have been awesome! :roll:[/QUOTE]
I know you're being sarcastic, but I enjoyed the latest Sonic game. It was basically a Sonic Adventure wannabe, and since I love Sonic Adventure I really enjoyed the new one.

[quote name='whoknows']I know you're being sarcastic, but I enjoyed the latest Sonic game. It was basically a Sonic Adventure wannabe, and since I love Sonic Adventure I really enjoyed the new one.[/quote]

You mean the one that just came out the 30th, and has gotten horrible reviews everywhere?

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']You mean the one that just came out the 30th, and has gotten horrible reviews everywhere?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, thats the one :hot:

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Guess that just goes to show "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."[/QUOTE]
Guess so :lol:

The only 3D Sonic game I don't like is Shadow, that game is garbage in every way.

Kotaku are reporting absolutely UGLY sales on this one, even in Japan. So far, about 30,000 copies are sitting in japanese homes, sparring against CPU AI.

By comparison, DOA4 for 360 sold double that in its first week, with a meager installed base of 80,000.

So whats the punch line? Sony has sold around 600,000 PS3s in Japan at the time of VF5's release.

That's just bad all around, can't wait to see if it breaks the 10k mark in the US. Maybe if you add in 360 sales, US VF5 will approach 15k. Sad, but true. Sega has to be groaning at this as well.

Sega is a developer that should be making games that are GREAT!... hands down... Sega should be where EA is.... and 2k games isn't under Sega anymore... that's not good... Funny, people talk about Sega going back into the Hardware business... if they did... they probably couldn't support it w/ their own games. Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Shenmu, Vectorman... Sega classics need to be reborn on ps3,psp, ps2, ps1, xbox, 360, ngage and any other system that's out now.

[quote name='Thomas96']When Sega became a developer only.. I thought they were going to get as big as EA.. and have some power with their games.. but since becoming a developer they haven't done enough.. I wish they would just focus on making good games out of all their franchises.. like Nintendo does.[/quote]

That's what happens when you cater to a niche group of fans. That works very rarely. SNK was able to cater to a niche group because in their heyday 2D fighers were still the driving force behind arcade attendance. Atlus did it with their RPGS/Strategy games because they were a small company to start with. Sega was/is a large company and it just makes no sense not to try to appeal to a larger fanbase by possibly increasing the number of people willing to play your game. Letting 2KSports go has just lead to a domino effect for all their other properties. With the possible exception of Yakuza (unless I am overlooking something else) they really haven't had anything that may pull in the casual gamer in a long time. The key is to cater to the casual and the hardcore (so you won't go out of business) and they are missing that boat with VF5. I would not be surprised to see Sega fade into oblivion in a few years.

bread's done
Back