El Shaddai - $19.99 360 at Amazon (PS3 OOS)

bardockkun

Eating Hot Dogs Horizontally
Feedback
4 (100%)
I Know alot of people couldn't find it at Gamestop for this price so it maybe universal markdown now maybe? PS3 version currently out of stock, but check back and forth with it.

iconxbox360.gif
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054INKZK/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

iconps3.gif
http://www.amazon.com/El-Shaddai-As...NKOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326445683&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could like this game. The visuals are excellent, but the gameplay is so unbelievably bad.

Like, Enslaved bad. No joke.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']I'm confident that I'll be able to grab this for sub-$10 at some point this year... backlog mandates I wait til then...[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

[quote name='Slowdance']I wish I could like this game. The visuals are excellent, but the gameplay is so unbelievably bad.

Like, Enslaved bad. No joke.[/QUOTE]

Seeing as how the gameplay was just fine on Enslaved I'm looking forward to giving El Shaddai a run.

look out, the game has neat graphics and art direction, but combat absolutely grated on my nerves, just not satisfying at all.

From now on I'm price matching any GameStop sale games with Best Buy or wait for Amazon to PM. I'm tired of buying gutted games with folded up DLC codes. Only buying used games at GameStop in the future.

[quote name='deathsaber']look out, the game has neat graphics and art direction, but combat absolutely grated on my nerves, just not satisfying at all.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.

[quote name='Camre']Seeing as how the gameplay was just fine on Enslaved I'm looking forward to giving El Shaddai a run.[/QUOTE]

I was ready to pull the $60 trigger on El Shaddai after playing the demo, but then I went on a gaming hiatus until my Dark Souls pre-order was delivered to my door in October (completely forgot about it).

Now I am working on my backlog, and would love to show El Shaddai some support, but no point in getting it now as it will just sit there. I am definitely going to pick it up as soon as I have some time, or am in the mood for an action platformer. I liked the combat once I figured out the strategy behind the weapons.

As for Enslaved - awesome game. I really enjoyed it. It's not a complex or deep game by any means, but a laid back and highly engaging adventure.

Waiting for the eventual sub-$10 or free with coupon at Best Buy. I actually borrowed this game from a friend and beat it. Loved it.

[quote name='Gosha']Waiting for the eventual sub-$10 or free with coupon at Best Buy. I actually borrowed this game from a friend and beat it. Loved it.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm waiting for as well. I have a $10 rewards certificate to use.

Finally sat down to play this today, and couldn't make it past the second Chapter: the levels are too long and tedious, and the story--which has a ton of potential--is told in such an absurd and convoluted way that every new piece of it leaves you scratching your head. The story is so goofy and abstract that it leaves the player with zero attachment to the main character; and then it becomes difficult to power through the tedious gameplay.

Really disappointed in this one, thought for sure I'd really enjoy it. Got it for $20, wish it had been $10 or less...

[quote name='4tygames']From now on I'm price matching any GameStop sale games with Best Buy or wait for Amazon to PM. I'm tired of buying gutted games with folded up DLC codes. Only buying used games at GameStop in the future.[/QUOTE]
LOL some people never learn. :lol:

gamestop-01-1.jpg

[quote name='Daemonocracy']I was ready to pull the $60 trigger on El Shaddai after playing the demo, but then I went on a gaming hiatus until my Dark Souls pre-order was delivered to my door in October (completely forgot about it). [/QUOTE]

This! I squeezed in AC:R, Uncharted 3, Arkham City, and a couple of others but I just now finished platinuming Dark Souls.

I'm interested in El Saddai but, like others, more so at the $10 or sub $10 price point. Reading from the comments: was this game by the same dev as Enslaved?

I agree with you completely here!

It's pretentious to the point of frustration, and I only ended my playtime at the START of the second level. I wanted to support the developers that fled from Clover Studios that had a hand in creating this product, but it's just so rife with dreadfully dull narrative, and visuals that are more jarring than elegant. This kind of game reminds me exactly why I also don't care for Suda 51 and his antics. Though I REALLY enjoy the oddity and risk involved in creating games that are not in any way typically commercial, they STILL have to feature gameplay that's comprehensible in a sense. These developers lose grasp of that in search of some sort of artistic circle jerk that inevitably turns an interesting ideal into a product of unplayable mush.

[quote name='AwRy108']Finally sat down to play this today, and couldn't make it past the second Chapter: the levels are too long and tedious, and the story--which has a ton of potential--is told in such an absurd and convoluted way that every new piece of it leaves you scratching your head. The story is so goofy and abstract that it leaves the player with zero attachment to the main character; and then it becomes difficult to power through the tedious gameplay.

Really disappointed in this one, thought for sure I'd really enjoy it. Got it for $20, wish it had been $10 or less...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='falcinator']I agree with you completely here!

It's pretentious to the point of frustration, and I only ended my playtime at the START of the second level. I wanted to support the developers that fled from Clover Studios that had a hand in creating this product, but it's just so rife with dreadfully dull narrative, and visuals that are more jarring than elegant. This kind of game reminds me exactly why I also don't care for Suda 51 and his antics. Though I REALLY enjoy the oddity and risk involved in creating games that are not in any way typically commercial, they STILL have to feature gameplay that's comprehensible in a sense. These developers lose grasp of that in search of some sort of artistic circle jerk that inevitably turns an interesting ideal into a product of unplayable mush.[/QUOTE]

Interesting yet valid points. I came away from the demo thinking as much. The art direction had some flair but was it necessary? I dunno. Maybe this game merits a gamefly rental before considering adding it to the collection.

Thank you sir! I still kinda....stand by my decision to pick it up at $20...even for their attempt at something unique. "Catherine" also felt unnecessarily bloated with style and a somewhat derivative gameplay component that really felt more like a downloadable title than a full release.......but, if SOME people don't support these ventures, the avalanche of other derivative game styles that already flood te market will be far, far worse than just "style get substance" titles.

Of course, I also spent $40 on Rayman: Origins....but for the same reasons, I dot regret that one bit! :0)

[quote name='BetaDemo']Interesting yet valid points. I came away from the demo thinking as much. The art direction had some flair but was it necessary? I dunno. Maybe this game merits a gamefly rental before considering adding it to the collection.[/QUOTE]

Any reason to pick this up on 360 versus PS3? I know Rayman Origins has an issue with no 5.1 sound on the PS3 version versus it being 5.1 on the 360 version, though I didn't know if we had the same situation here.

I think I read the head2head on digital foundry or lens of truth. Summary was that 360 version has better visuals but worse framerate relative to ps3. I don't recall any audio differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']Any reason to pick this up on 360 versus PS3? I know Rayman Origins has an issue with no 5.1 sound on the PS3 version versus it being 5.1 on the 360 version, though I didn't know if we had the same situation here.[/QUOTE]
Are you telling me Rayman is in stereo on ps3?!

[quote name='shrike4242']Any reason to pick this up on 360 versus PS3? I know Rayman Origins has an issue with no 5.1 sound on the PS3 version versus it being 5.1 on the 360 version, though I didn't know if we had the same situation here.[/QUOTE]

There is a bad framerate glitch that occurs on the 360 version when you obtain a certain enemy kill achievement. This glitch makes the game unplayable. Supposedly to remedy this you have to recover your gamertag through xboxlive.

If I'm not mistaken, the thread with UK CE Rayman deal confirmed that the 360 5.1 was not correct and that both were ultimately stereo.

[quote name='SideshowNick']There is a bad framerate glitch that occurs on the 360 version when you obtain a certain enemy kill achievement. This glitch makes the game unplayable. Supposedly to remedy this you have to recover your gamertag through xboxlive.[/QUOTE]

what? where did you hear this. I heard the framerate drops a bit with a lot of action but thats teh only downside. Visually the 360 version actually looks better than the ps3 version. But suposedly the ps3 version runs a bit smoother

Please note that the price of El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron has decreased from $23.38 to $19.31 since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Items in your cart will always reflect the most recent price displayed on their product detail pages.
For either system as well.

Not as good as Newegg's $14.99 offering last month but time machines can get expensive in my area...

just a heads up- i just started the new game+ in el shaddai and i already like it better than my whole first play through. im fighting some crazy mech made out of flaming motorcycles right now. shit makes no sense but its fucking awesome.

[quote name='falcinator']Thank you sir! I still kinda....stand by my decision to pick it up at $20...even for their attempt at something unique. "Catherine" also felt unnecessarily bloated with style and a somewhat derivative gameplay component that really felt more like a downloadable title than a full release.......but, if SOME people don't support these ventures, the avalanche of other derivative game styles that already flood te market will be far, far worse than just "style get substance" titles.

Of course, I also spent $40 on Rayman: Origins....but for the same reasons, I dot regret that one bit! :0)[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I can't describe my massive disappointment over El Shaddai any better but i'll give it a shot....

This game is a piece of fuck!

[quote name='falcinator']I agree with you completely here!

It's pretentious to the point of frustration, and I only ended my playtime at the START of the second level. I wanted to support the developers that fled from Clover Studios that had a hand in creating this product, but it's just so rife with dreadfully dull narrative, and visuals that are more jarring than elegant. This kind of game reminds me exactly why I also don't care for Suda 51 and his antics. Though I REALLY enjoy the oddity and risk involved in creating games that are not in any way typically commercial, they STILL have to feature gameplay that's comprehensible in a sense. These developers lose grasp of that in search of some sort of artistic circle jerk that inevitably turns an interesting ideal into a product of unplayable mush.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I can't describe my massive disappointment over El Shaddai any better but i'll give it a shot....

This game is a piece of fuck!

I loved this game from the minute I started playing the demo. Paid 59.99 for it from Amazon with free release date and $10 credit. I was a bit sad at how short it was, but what was there was amazing.

Surprised at all the hate for this game...paid 39.99 for it after the 1st price drop and no regrets. Feels to me like a DMC game set in an alternate universe of some kind...it's a fun diversion from the typical 3rd person action game. And though the combat was painfully simple, the platforming sequences and excellent soundtrack really help break the monotony.

game is really good. visuals, level design...even the story (while a little strange), is very interesting, well done, etc.

the battles get a little redundant (especially if your timing is off), but overall, really really interesting.

also, looks back in stock for ps3. I'm tempted to grab it again to play through again, and show my brother.

[quote name='Japakneez']Thank you! I can't describe my massive disappointment over El Shaddai any better but i'll give it a shot....

This game is a piece of fuck![/QUOTE]

I agree. It's a horribly boring game. The visual style gets old after 2 minutes and you're left with uninspired, crappy gameplay. I got it real cheap and quickly traded it in. A waste of money at any price imo. And, as usual, no surprise the people who overpaid for it justifying their purchase with stories of how amazing the game is. I know everyone has their own opinion, but it's misleading if you ask me. Check out the user reviews at Amazon...3.5/5, which is actually low for what you normally see on Amazon. Professional review average is a 76, which is pretty generous.

I hated the demo but gave the game another chance because I got it for basically nothing, and I still couldn't stand it.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']And, as usual, no surprise the people who overpaid for it justifying their purchase with stories of how amazing the game is. I know everyone has their own opinion, but it's misleading if you ask me. Check out the user reviews at Amazon...3.5/5, which is actually low for what you normally see on Amazon. Professional review average is a 76, which is pretty generous.[/QUOTE]

1) i rented it.

2) ES is a game (like catherine, asura, SOTD, etc) that does something really interesting with premise and framework, even if the game is a little wonky or weird at times. i dont trust aggregated review scores b/c they dont really tell you that much, see: http://www.brainygamer.com/the_brainy_gamer/2011/07/its-a-b-world.html
but i def agree that ES is not for everyone. but.
if you like this sort of thing, for $20 it's a steal.

it's more misleading to take an aggregated score (that is average), and pretend like that makes the game (uniformly) average. ES has 44 reviews on metacritic with a range of 40-92.. some like it some hate it... a few love it, a few really hate it . finding a review that seems to resonate with how you approach gaming is far far more important than an aggregated score.

I just want to chime in. I got this game when newegg has it for $15. Best $15 I ever spent. Seriously. It's definitely worth $20 folks and is a very under rated game. A little repetitive some times and occasionally funky camera angles but the complete package more than makes up for it plus it seems to be pretty long as I have logged many hours in it so far and am a little over halfway through. Very interesting story and art style plus lots of hidden paths to find extras and backstory.

I got it for 20 and I'm hoping to get 11-14 at GS if the trade in value is still up. Only beat 3 levels which is super rare for me. The controls and mechanics are so extremely poor. I'm in the Clover fanboy boat and bought this for the art direction, which was decent but not enough to keep me going. If this is the genre you stick in (japanese action/platformers) I could easily see getting this but otherwise...

bread's done
Back