Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Recalled? ESRB rating changes from T to M

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
This is the case at least according to Circuit City...

Here's the story, at about 6 pm tonite I get an official video game recall notice from corprate telling us to pull and send back all the copies of Oblivion (PC & 360) we have in the store ASAP.

The memo mentions nothing about why the recall is being issued or if the manufactuer is even the ones behind it (which I doubt). Still it's very freakin' weird and the only thing I can remotely think of why they would do this is because of the corrupted game saves some people have recently complained about, but that problem doesn't even seem wide spread, let alone come close to envoking a product recall.

Maybe this was some big news story I missed or something, but a recall of a game this big and one I won makes me nervous so does anyone have any info on why'd they would want to recall the game??

{Update:} The ESRB upped the rating to M after some controversy over modable nudity in the PC version and the like (read on for further details). Apparently Circuit City's reaction was a bit more swift and radical than others and they pulled all the copies off the shelves even though apparently there will be stickers and such given to other retailers.

[quote name='mr ryles']I have no idea why...... My copy has been fine since the day it came out.[/QUOTE]

Mine too, that's partly why this thing has me totally baffled.

Two big reasons for a patch, but not a recall:

Cheydinhal Recommendation Mage's Guild quest
Harlun's Watch Fighter's Guild quest

Corpses are removed from the game after three days. Even if they have quest items on them. Whoops.

There is a Daedric Quest that freezes everytime you complete it on the 360 version and makes it impossible to finish the last Daedric Quest, but that's hardly a reason for a recall. A patch, sure, but not a recall. Except for San Andreas I can't even remember the last time I heard of a game being recalled...

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']hot coffee??? I hope not...[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough someone at work brought that up too. I was pretty doubtful though because usually the press will catch on t that long before a store issues a recall and somehting like that happening again in a popular game would light a fire under the press and the activists alike very quickly I'm sure.

Sonic Adventure was recalled, but only because the game didn't work.

Also wasn't Tao Fang or some Xbox fighting game recalled?

[quote name='thorbahn3']Sonic Adventure was recalled, but only because the game didn't work.

Also wasn't Tao Fang or some Xbox fighting game recalled?[/QUOTE]

It was Kakuto Chojin, for "offensive religious references" or somehting like that.

[quote name='redgopher']Two big reasons for a patch, but not a recall:

Cheydinhal Recommendation Mage's Guild quest
Harlun's Watch Fighter's Guild quest

Corpses are removed from the game after three days. Even if they have quest items on them. Whoops.[/QUOTE]

yes I am pissed cuz I am pretty sure it is impossible to complete that mages guild quest now.

[quote name='Stuka']There is a Daedric Quest that freezes everytime you complete it on the 360 version and makes it impossible to finish the last Daedric Quest, but that's hardly a reason for a recall. A patch, sure, but not a recall. Except for San Andreas I can't even remember the last time I heard of a game being recalled...[/QUOTE]

Night Trap

I worked on Oblivion as a programmer. All I can say is my bad people. It was because i was high.

--------Couldnt a online patch be available?-----------

Methinks this was not recalled for any kind of 'bug'. That would just warrant a patch, not a recall. Recall sounds like they found something offensive or illegal in the game.

It is listed as not available on the ciruitcity website now. Nothing anywhere else...seems if there was a recall it would be universal and immediate wouldn't it?

I can confirm it's no longer available at CC. It was officially blocked for sale as of this morning. Still no reason as to why it's been pulled though. I tried a search for a reason for the recall but didn't turn up anything. If it's only CC then it's probably a dumb reason. Thanks for the heads up, Duo.

[quote name='neocisco']I can confirm it's no longer available at CC. It was officially blocked for sale as of this morning. Still no reason as to why it's been pulled though. I tried a search for a reason for the recall but didn't turn up anything. If it's only CC then it's probably a dumb reason. Thanks for the heads up, Duo.[/quote]

Correction: The Collector's Edition-PC is still able to be sold in store. The UPC has not been blocked for sale yet. You would have to find one that hasn't been pulled yet though.

[quote name='Snake2715']Wow,

Makes we want to go get it.. I have been holding off for a price drop..[/quote]

Oooooo. Maybe he is why they did this?

FWIW, EB/GS has not yet received a memo to pull it. I've got one of my friends that works there watching for it and if they get one, he's going to give me a call and i'll post whatever he says. I thought the OP was just BS'ing.. this is a weird situation.

//edit: Maybe now the collector's version will be worth something!

[quote name='mykevermin']Topic marked. I want to know what's up.[/quote]

Same here.

I have played mine (I have the 360 Collector's Edition) for about 85 hours and haven't experienced any problems, except for 2 cases of the freeze, but that's to be expected.

It could be Hot Coffoe type of thing.

The PC upper nudity mod is quite interesting. It uses textures already in the game as well as models. It just basically shows female breasts. All thepatch does is remove the model covering them up. The point is that they are infact already in the game. I honestly could not think of any other reason to possibly pull it.

No problems here, have had it since launch, and the combined total time between me and my friends is over 100 hours. I think the game froze 3 times on me, but as someone else said, thats expected.

Come to think of it, I think they screwed up the ESRB rating, the game should be rated Mature, IMO. The Dark Brotherhood questline, various things you find around Necromancers, things you see in Oblivion (the realm not the game itself), and all the random violence that can be done really make me wonder how the game only received a Teen rating.

[quote name='secretvampire']I got burned on the Mage's Guild quest too, I'm sure they'll address it in the patch though.[/quote]

Hey guys,

What exactly is the Mage Guild bug? I haven't hit any broken quests, yet... Which town is it so I can hold off? Have they addressed it in the PC patch? Anyone know?

[quote name='daschrier']There was nudity in daggerfall though, who cares.[/quote]

That was before hot coffee. There was titties on TV before Janet Jackson, but that doesn't mean the government and douchebags all across this great nation can't be idiots about it anyway.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Hey guys,

What exactly is the Mage Guild bug? I haven't hit any broken quests, yet... Which town is it so I can hold off? Have they addressed it in the PC patch? Anyone know?[/quote]

It's not really a bug, just an unfortunate overlooked detail. One of the Mage's Guild quests (I think a recommendation) requires you to take the Ring of Burden off a dead body. If you go into where the body is and don't take the ring then (most people probably left to go dump some stuff because the ring weighs like 150) the body disappears after 3 days in the game, just like any other body.

[quote name='2Fast']Come to think of it, I think they screwed up the ESRB rating, the game should be rated Mature, IMO. The Dark Brotherhood questline, various things you find around Necromancers, things you see in Oblivion (the realm not the game itself), and all the random violence that can be done really make me wonder how the game only received a Teen rating.[/QUOTE]

yeah i was wondering the same thing. One of the first things I did was befowl a female corpse in disgusting ways...:) definitely not teen material

wasnt elder scrolls III morrowind rated M?

[quote name='dastly75']yeah i was wondering the same thing. One of the first things I did was befowl a female corpse in disgusting ways...:) definitely not teen material

wasnt elder scrolls III morrowind rated M?[/quote]

Nope, Morrowind was rated T as well.

[quote name='dastly75']yeah i was wondering the same thing. One of the first things I did was befowl a female corpse in disgusting ways...:) [/quote]

If your talking about teabagging them, that's not so bad. Besides, who besides teenagers teabag people in games anyway?

Been at work all day and still no news as to the reason why. Has anyone noticed a story at any of the gaming news sites at all? I checked them this morning and didn't see anything. I figure they would've caught wind of somehting by now even if this was just isolated to CC, but maybe they are too busy with e3 coming up and all.

[quote name='Stuka']That was before hot coffee. There was titties on TV before Janet Jackson, but that doesn't mean the government and douchebags all across this great nation can't be idiots about it anyway.

It's not really a bug, just an unfortunate overlooked detail. One of the Mage's Guild quests (I think a recommendation) requires you to take the Ring of Burden off a dead body. If you go into where the body is and don't take the ring then (most people probably left to go dump some stuff because the ring weighs like 150) the body disappears after 3 days in the game, just like any other body.[/QUOTE]

They use to show titties on broadcast TV?

Circuit City seems pretty out of touch, as is. A CEO's kid probably showed their daddy the sad, sad fan-made titty mod for the PC version.

I live in St. Louis, and about 20 years ago there was a show that came on around midnight on Saturday named Bazzar that had a topless woman during the beginning theme song.

It was awesome.

[quote name='thorbahn3']They use to show titties on broadcast TV?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kendal']So no news on why?[/QUOTE]

So I cehck new posts... and you have just posted here and your trade thread becomes....

TES IV OBlivion $50 New!!!!

They couldnt write better irony.

Both 360 versions were pulled along w/the regular edition for PC. The collector's edition for PC was NOT part of the pullback notice. That could easily have just been an oversight on somebody's part. So at least for now, you should still be able to buy the CE edition for PC. Still no idea what the reason was for pulling them in the first place.

I freeze about every three times i play this game but when I do play i play for long periods i have prob 120 hours clocked btwn 2 characters and besides the freezing havn't had any quest problems.

[quote name='Snake2715']So I cehck new posts... and you have just posted here and your trade thread becomes....

TES IV OBlivion $50 New!!!!

They couldnt write better irony.[/quote]

:roll:

Well I have two copies I bought over the weekend that I am returning cause the game will not run on my PC. So if people can't get them, I have two. If I was selling them for an outreagous price, it would be worth pointing out. Maybe you should stop trying to be a dick and actually look at the prices? $50 shipped isn't a bad price huh?

Again.

:roll:

[quote name='Stuka']That was before hot coffee. There was titties on TV before Janet Jackson, but that doesn't mean the government and douchebags all across this great nation can't be idiots about it anyway.

It's not really a bug, just an unfortunate overlooked detail. One of the Mage's Guild quests (I think a recommendation) requires you to take the Ring of Burden off a dead body. If you go into where the body is and don't take the ring then (most people probably left to go dump some stuff because the ring weighs like 150) the body disappears after 3 days in the game, just like any other body.[/quote]

PHEW!! skin of the teeth! how random is this, i JUST did that quest literally last night! last thing i did before i went to sleep, come in this morning and see this post! luckily, i dumped all my stuff, took the ring back, and rolled back and all my stuff was still there (i wasn't sure about the rules on that, but everything was ok)..

[quote name='Kendal']:roll:

Well I have two copies I bought over the weekend that I am returning cause the game will not run on my PC. So if people can't get them, I have two. If I was selling them for an outreagous price, it would be worth pointing out. Maybe you should stop trying to be a dick and actually look at the prices? $50 shipped isn't a bad price huh?

Again.

:roll:[/QUOTE]

It wasnt so much about me being or even trying to be a dick to be honest. It wasnt even a insult to you. It was when I went into "new" posts I see yours with the mentioned title then right below it is this thread and at that time you were the last poster in this thread.. It was just ironic.

That Mage's Guild Quest with the corpse has that problem eh? Can't say I'm suprised. Daggerfall had problems similar to that all over the quests, so I'm naturally DEAD SET to doing quests sequintially. 'Course, back then damn near all quests had time limits (game days) associated to them =)

Still good information to know. Oh, and before any one does quests for Clavicus Vile, the Daedra, search around the net for how to circumvent the crashing bug that's unavoidable if you hope to complete it.

... I hope they just patch the fragging game. Those turned Daggerfall from a hopeless mess, into a mostly stable game. And hell, the original XBox version of Morrowind sure as hell could have used them. I don't give a rat's ass WHAT Microsoft says about not wanting it to become common to distribute patches on Live. That's an unrealistic fragging expectation what with NextGen games commonly matching PC Game levels of complexity. It's not that damn bad to just keep your games updated, especially since if done on Live it'd be all but automatic.

Halo 2 was patched quite a bit, and I don't remember bitching about that... except of course for that HORRIBLE NERFING patch early in the game's lifespan. Dear gawd am I glad they FIXED that.

/rant~babble off

The Teen rating seems like a probable culprit for this recall. If you can find a tittay in the game, its got to rated Mature.

OH MAH GAWD!!! A BREAST!!! AVERT YOUR EYES!!!

bread's done
Back