Emergence Day 11/12/2006

somehow i doubt this game will get a pre-release demo. It'll be given the halo hype-up treatment and while the previews come pouring in, people will be itching to get their hands on it but won't until they buy it. From a business perspective, making a pre-release demo might actually hurt the game if pre-release advertising goes as planned, making this game arguably the first (second if including oblivion) killer app for the system. Remember that a game only becomes a killler app when Microsoft decides to make it a killer app.

Good god, how can a great game be hurt by a demo release. If it is a great game, it should be able to show that it is through demo. I played my Burnout 3 demo constantly until I got my full copy. Hell that was only one race. I just fail to see how letting a game get a little sun to shine would hurt a game.

[quote name='Kendal']Good god, how can a great game be hurt by a demo release. If it is a great game, it should be able to show that it is through demo. I played my Burnout 3 demo constantly until I got my full copy. Hell that was only one race. I just fail to see how letting a game get a little sun to shine would hurt a game.[/QUOTE]

It can hurt a game's sales if people that were going to get caught up in the hype and buy it, play a demo and decide it's not exactly what they are looking for. If I was Epic/Microsoft I wouldn't put a demo out of this game prior to it being released. You don't need to put a demo out early for a game like this, it can only hurt sales.

I'll wait for the reviews at the very least. The game looks great, but you never know if it'll turn into another Unreal II.

[quote name='orntar']isnt that a sunday?

isnt that strange? even for a "aaa" title[/QUOTE]
well maybe that is the date the Wii comes out so Microsoft can have there "killer app" out on the same day. Nintendo always releases systems on Sundays. Just a thought probably wrong but who knows?

I can't speak for other people but the release date being only 5 days before PS3 pretty much seals the deal that I won't be buying it. Great job Microsoft!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I can't speak for other people but the release date being only 5 days before PS3 pretty much seals the deal that I won't be buying it. Great job Microsoft![/QUOTE]

This could be taken one of two ways:

1. You aren't buying Gears Of War.
2. You aren't buying a PS3.

[quote name='shipwreck']This could be taken one of two ways:

1. You aren't buying Gears Of War.
2. You aren't buying a PS3.[/QUOTE]

PS3, I guess my message is a bit ambiguous.

[quote name='javeryh']What is Gears of War? I mean I've heard of it I guess but why is it so hyped?[/quote]- It's an original game and not a sequel like so many other games.
- The game's graphics are fantastic.
- The people that have actually played it have said that the game is fantastic.
- It's gameplay is trying to do a "Stop and Pop" rather than "Run and Gun" for a different paced shooter.
- It's the only game before the holidays that will actually be big (I can't think of another game that's being released from October to December that's gotten much press).
- It looks like it might actually be a good game, so it's being hyped up quite a bit.

I've made it a policy to only play games I've demoed on my xbox. I play through a vga cable on a standard aspect monitor and let me say that hit or miss vga compatability is a bitch.

[quote name='sj41']- It's an original game and not a sequel like so many other games.
- It's gameplay is trying to do a "Stop and Pop" rather than "Run and Gun" for a different paced shooter.
- It's the only game before the holidays that will actually be big (I can't think of another game that's being released from October to December that's gotten much press).
- It looks like it might actually be a good game, so it's being hyped up quite a bit.[/QUOTE]

You forgot chainsaw bayonets that can actually dismember people. :)

[quote name='sj41']- It's an original game and not a sequel like so many other games.
- It looks like it might actually be a good game, so it's being hyped up quite a bit.[/QUOTE]

-It also is available on the PS2, under the title of "kill.switch"

[quote name='sj41']- It's the only game before the holidays that will actually be big (I can't think of another game that's being released from October to December that's gotten much press).[/quote]

Zelda Twilight Princess, SHOULD!!!, be out during the holidays.

[quote name='Strell']-It also is available on the PS2, under the title of "kill.switch"[/QUOTE]

That's like saying Mario Party is also available on Xbox under the name Shrek Super Party.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That's like saying Mario Party is also available on Xbox under the name Shrek Super Party.[/QUOTE]

That's like saying Nascar is like driving around the block in your mom's volkswagon, but making VROOM VROOM! sounds the whole time.

[quote name='Strell']That's like saying Nascar is like driving around the block in your mom's volkswagon, but making VROOM VROOM! sounds the whole time.[/QUOTE]

Is NASCAR the only material you have on me anymore? The comebacks you use them for aren't even any good anymore either.

[quote name='Strell']-It also is available on the PS2, under the title of "kill.switch"[/quote]

wow, are you taking the pot? :) that looks *nothing* like gears of war

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Is NASCAR the only material you have on me anymore?[/QUOTE]

Do I need anything else?

The answer is no.

[quote name='Strell']Do I need anything else?

The answer is no.[/quote]

Is "No" the answer to his question, or is it the answer to your question?

[quote name='guessed']Is "No" the answer to his question, or is it the answer to your question?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

And javeryh, download some of the Gears of War footage that is on Live. You'll see why this is a kill.switch (also available on Xbox) killer.

[quote name='orntar']there is gears of war videos on live? under what heading?[/QUOTE]

Well, there were some during E3. Maybe they are no longer on there.

[quote name='orntar']there is gears of war videos on live? under what heading?[/quote]It should be under the E3 videos. I don't remember if they showed actual gameplay, but they have te trailer, behind the scenes, and I think some other stuff.

[quote name='guessed']I expected this kind of answer from Strell, but not from you. ;)[/QUOTE]

Strell's my joke account. I just forgot to sign back in before I posted that.

[quote name='shipwreck']Strell's my joke account. I just forgot to sign back in before I posted that.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

You can tell because my avatars are both equally stupid. And have mustaches. That's how you know.

[quote name='Strell']Yes.

You can tell because my avatars are both equally stupid. And have mustaches. That's how you know.[/QUOTE]

And the crab in my GamerTag.

[quote name='shipwreck']And the crab in my GamerTag.[/QUOTE]

Conspiracy?

Coincidence?

Cockmania?

Capers-a-plenty?

Cockamamie?

Only you can decide.

[quote name='Strell']Conspiracy?

Coincidence?

Cockmania?

Capers-a-plenty?

Cockamamie?

Only you can decide.[/QUOTE]

I'm going with Cockamamie on this one.

[quote name='Kendal']Zelda Twilight Princess, SHOULD!!!, be out during the holidays.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention WWE Smackdown! Vs Raw 07, which kinda like the yearly Madden releases, only bigger.

Let's note: it started out as an Unreal game and it looks it. As I've said elsewhere, it's basically the usual ’roid-popping Unreal space-marine escapees-from-a-Rob-Liefield-comic-book acting like they got hired at a Tom Clancy game.

But frankly, the game just LOOKS cool: there's something weirdly visceral about the gunfire and camera movement. I really WANT to like it. But ... I have a nagging feeling it's going to be as shallow as a backyard kiddie pool.

I wonder when my free copy will arrive. I guess I'l be getting my 360 around that time as well. Anyone else win this game at E3 this year? You know, the Mountain Dew promotion?

Am I the only one that read javeryh's post as complete sarcasm?....

Can't wait for 11/12. not a single media source that has had hands on time has described it as shallow or boring. I haven't heard of a single person playing it who can't wait to get on LIVE come 11/12. Regardless of graphics, story, etc., some games just have that special something extra that can't be explained. GOW seems to be one of them.

Can't wait.

Oh, and no demo. That's confirmed by Epic:

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11490/No-Gears-of-War-Demo-Before-Emergence-Day/

I just hope my college connection can handle the game on Live. PDZ was almost unplayable, but GRAW was fine (as long as it wasn't a co-op match)

If I cant play online well while at school, I think I'll be coming home quite a lot :p

[quote name='RedvsBlue']PS3, I guess my message is a bit ambiguous.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 can wait...I want to see what Sony is planning with that console. I love my PS2 and PSP but I'm not 100% sure of the PS3. Besides, I don't like the "innovative" controller idea they have and how the vibration "interferes" with the motion sensor. Funny...didn't Sony get their asses sued off for that technology. Ironic. Let's see what other ideas they can steal. Achievement points, maybe?

bread's done
Back