Etrian Odyssey Support Group

I invested in TP regen in the later levels. Gave it to my healer and alchemist then used random battles to regen TP. Get into a regular fight, kill all but the weakest monster. Make sure it's one without a hit all attack. Let it beat on you while you defend every round until TP is back. Bash his skull in and one salve should fix the minor damage to everyone. Repeat as necessary. Using this strategy I was pretty much able to stay in the dungeon indefinitely. By the end of the main storyline the only thing that could kill me was a bad luck fight against those things that can sleep the whole party.

[quote name='slidecage']game starts to get real boring once you hit floor 20. you get attacked with 2 to 3 FOES at a time and their are probally 10 to 15 of them on the floor

the owl like FOE kills your party way too fast

all my people are level 50 + and still geting ass kicked cause you got to march up 5 floor just to get to floor 20 by then half your Tp is gone[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crowbb']I invested in TP regen in the later levels. Gave it to my healer and alchemist then used random battles to regen TP. Get into a regular fight, kill all but the weakest monster. Make sure it's one without a hit all attack. Let it beat on you while you defend every round until TP is back. Bash his skull in and one salve should fix the minor damage to everyone. Repeat as necessary. Using this strategy I was pretty much able to stay in the dungeon indefinitely. By the end of the main storyline the only thing that could kill me was a bad luck fight against those things that can sleep the whole party.[/QUOTE]

that has to take a afwul long time meaning each round they only get like 4 TP back. 160 tp is going to take you 40 turns .

[quote name='slidecage']all my people are level 50 + and still geting ass kicked cause you got to march up 5 floor just to get to floor 20 by then half your Tp is gone[/QUOTE]

Have you been looking for shortcuts and secret passages? There's one that lets you skip virtually all of 19F, so as long as you make sure to stop at the healing spring on 18 you should be able to get down to 20 with nearly full TP. Then just pay attention to the FOEs on 20F and try to pick one or two off when they're isolated from the others. If you need to, you can even head back up to the healing spring to recover after each encounter.

[quote name='q 3']Have you been looking for shortcuts and secret passages? There's one that lets you skip virtually all of 19F, so as long as you make sure to stop at the healing spring on 18 you should be able to get down to 20 with nearly full TP. Then just pay attention to the FOEs on 20F and try to pick one or two off when they're isolated from the others. If you need to, you can even head back up to the healing spring to recover after each encounter.[/QUOTE]

bad thing is their hp are so high by the time you almost kill one you got 1 or 2 more hopping on you

I think you get 5 with TP regen maxed. But yeah it can be time consuming. I rarely went to full regen in a battle but just enough to continue on. It became a habit to drag out fights a few rounds longer than I needed to just to get a little TP back at a time without it getting too boring. But it wasn't usually a problem as my alchemist never casts in random battles if I'm looking to kill FOEs or a boss. Also having patchup with your healer will save on using so much healing TP.

You can also pump up using the tree frogs on level 11 if you want easy levels. Take someone who can 1-shot them (Shouldn't be hard at level 50+). Fight tree frogs (they spawn right where you teleport inn) and let them call for help, just kill the extras always leaving the last one to call for help.. Kill 30ish frogs (this will max out exp for the battle) then repeat. You can level up really quick this way. I only used it to level up new characters or guys I was reseting to level 1 but it works well. If you do this with only a 1 or 2 person party they will level like crazy.

[quote name='slidecage']that has to take a afwul long time meaning each round they only get like 4 TP back. 160 tp is going to take you 40 turns .[/QUOTE]

:lol: Yeah, the first floor is hellish when you start out. It seemed like I couldn't fight more than two battles at a time without running back to sleep at the inn.

I had to take a break around the 7th floor, need to do some more grinding to extend my exploration. Still in my DS though, I'll get back to it at some point.

I just started playing this weekend, and I'm addicted :) Granted, I didn't have nearly as much of a problem on the first floor as I did when I got to the second, where my ass was officially handed to me within a few steps.

even though my people are level 55 still cant beat the level 20 boss. Rivera for the PSP is taking up all my time now and i probally be lucky to get back to this game sometime in aug. UNLESS

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology is a great game Then i probally wont get back to this game until Sept (but then again we then have 3 to 5 other RPG games coming out for the DS/psp in aug so i might never make it back to this game until xmas)

Are the Ronin and later the Hexer class really worth starting my guys over? I mean, I kind of feel like mine arent the best characters, but releveling new ones, even with the bonus points from a late retirement, seem like a massive hassle.

Ronin have the best single-target damage of any class, as well as a couple other handy tricks. Hexers are unparalleled in their ability to disable enemies, both mobs and FOEs, and have even more handy tricks. Neither is essential, though, so if you're happy with your current team don't worry about it.

I don't know why, but I'm actually enjoying this game, and I usually detest games with menus, or turn-based combat, or, worst of all, random battles. I'm guessing that it's because the combat is pretty quick and there are basically no pointless NPCs slowing the game down with boring dialogue.

I'm on floor 5 and I'll probably buy the game from GameFly.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']I don't know why, but I'm actually enjoying this game, and I usually detest games with menus, or turn-based combat, or, worst of all, random battles. I'm guessing that it's because the combat is pretty quick and there are basically no pointless NPCs slowing the game down with boring dialogue.

I'm on floor 5 and I'll probably buy the game from GameFly.[/quote]

Good to see someone else getting into it! I haven't played since I hit a quest I couldn't figure out how to complete (but didn't want to look up online), but I need to come back to it - I hate not finishing games!

I think I'm on floor 13?

[quote name='johnnypark']Good to see someone else getting into it! I haven't played since I hit a quest I couldn't figure out how to complete (but didn't want to look up online), but I need to come back to it - I hate not finishing games!

I think I'm on floor 13?[/QUOTE]

yeah its the best game for the ds rpg wise i think. Sadly i stopped playing it on floor 20 thanks to puzzle quest then tales of the world , and now brave story taking up all my time

and with heroes of mana coming next week i doubt i get back to this game before 2008

Has anyone killed a Drake? Because my level 65 party got one shotted on the first round, and I have no idea how to stop it.

There has to be some trick to it, since it took about 5-6 times my max hp, which is just silly.

There are a couple ways to manage it, but the easiest is to use the Protector's skill Anticold (optimally at level 5).

Damn, I'm level 18 and Fargrir (Fagrir?) trashed my fledgling party. So I spent about two hours (while watching a movie in the background) holding (A) down and grinding. Now my guys are level 20 and I have some slightly better equipment. Wondering if those little +1/+2 DEF boosts etc. are going to help a little.

It's been a long time since I've seen a game give you your just desserts so damn slowly. You see a skill you'd like, well be patient because you just found out that you need 10 levels worth of other skills to get that skill. Then you finally meet the requirements and, sometimes, feel underwhelmed about what you just purchased.

On a side note - I agree with those that purchased some patch-up. I'm at level 4 with that, and when grinding on lower level fodder it's quite valuable.

I just got this game and when I go home, I don't know what to do... play Etrian or play BioShock. I mean, this game is GREAT! I got it because the reviews say it's so hard... pffpt, it isn't hard enough, but it's a great start! Leaps and bounds better than FFIII as far as a plotless RPG goes!

Vroshnak happy. Vroshnak not smash!

I got worms 2 and puzzle quest about 2 weeks ago, and ive been playing those for a while. but as soon as I got this one, I cant stop playing. Is it ok to like this one so much better??

It seems that PQ already gave me everything it can offer. and worms, its fun, but theres too much loading going on, and the reason why it kills so much time is because a game takes way too long to finish. This game. this game is so awesome.

Do any of you have any other games out or coming out that are similar to EO? because once i finish this, ill like to try something similar. RPGs rule

PS: I didnt have much trouble with BF1, my team consists of

L(axe)
D(whip-bind)
T(shelter)
A(fire)
M(duh)

and its going pretty good thus far. but once i got to BF2, the rabbits and the deer guys have been harassing me. Its a good thing ive been avoiding that first FOE.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']I got worms 2 and puzzle quest about 2 weeks ago, and ive been playing those for a while. but as soon as I got this one, I cant stop playing. Is it ok to like this one so much better??

It seems that PQ already gave me everything it can offer. and worms, its fun, but theres too much loading going on, and the reason why it kills so much time is because a game takes way too long to finish. This game. this game is so awesome.

Do any of you have any other games out or coming out that are similar to EO? because once i finish this, ill like to try something similar. RPGs rule

PS: I didnt have much trouble with BF1, my team consists of

L(axe)
D(whip-bind)
T(shelter)
A(fire)
M(duh)

and its going pretty good thus far. but once i got to BF2, the rabbits and the deer guys have been harassing me. Its a good thing ive been avoiding that first FOE.[/QUOTE]

Look into Mazes of Fate for the GBA. They also announced a DS version of the game.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Look into Mazes of Fate for the GBA. They also announced a DS version of the game.[/QUOTE]

I think its released in October...that's this month. When though?

And why do I keep getting this love or hate vibe from Mazes of Fate?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Dont do the extra floors once you beat the main game. It'll make you hate the game once you realize what you're in for.[/QUOTE]

I completed the main game, but stopped playing on level 26. I've played the game a lot and it is time to play other games. I have to try Mazes of Fate sometime.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']Do any of you have any other games out or coming out that are similar to EO?[/QUOTE]

Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land is a good bet. As is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. (Both PS2.)

So, I heard about this game a while ago... And I'm a die-hard RPG fan.

I wasn't 100% sure if I wanted to buy it, just because I knew I'd probably fall in love with it and spend WAY too much time on it.

But then a friend of mine bought it, played a few hours and decided it wasn't his cup of tea. So I ended up with a free copy of it. Oh the dilemma.

Needless to say I'm 45+ hours in now, and I can't get enough. I'm very impressed with it.

:drool:

[quote name='Cao Cao']The sequel has been announced. New classes and more, mentioned in the Famitsu scans at NeoGAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195617[/QUOTE]

how long does atlus take in localizing? They better take just about the same time it takes me to finish this game.

oh and about that...

[quote name='q 3']Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land is a good bet. As is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. (Both PS2.)[/QUOTE]

I dont own a PS2, and I have missed all of the great RPGs of the PS1-PS2 generation...yes, its sad.

I wish there was, while at the same time I'm glad there isn't, a timer on your save file. I'm curious how many hours I've put into this game now, but I'm not entirely sure I want to know.

My friend started playing this again after the sequel was announced, which made me pick it up again. While the 8th floor quest was boring as hell, it leveled me up a bit to the point where regular enemies on floors 9 and 10 are fairly easy.

I actually starting playing the game again (sitting in a Jury Pool for 4 hours? Oh whatever shall I do?), and made it down to B3F. I managed to kill all the FOEs on the B2F, but what level should you be to take on the Stalker FOEs on B3F? My two frontline fighters were one-hit killed. My equipment also isn't the best it could be, because my income ain't that hot.

There should be a way to avoid most FOEs. You can always return later when you are naturally powered up and beat them. I dont think I can recommend leveling at the start just to beat them when you've got all sorts of missions and 'splorin to do.

You should trick the Stalkers into following you and avoid fighting them on B03 if I remember correctly. Come back and get revenge on them later!

I just got to the bottom of the 4th Stratum, level 21 I think... yikes! I'm going to have to spend a FORTUNE on Amrita II to have enough TP to defeat that many FOEs without resting. Maybe I should level up a Troubador... they restore TP, right?

I beat the Stalkers yesterday at around level 13-15. My strategy was defending with my front row people (regular defend with landsknetch and parry with crusader), the accessory down skill with the survivalist, and spammed fire with the alchemist with occasional healing with the medic. Quiet effective, if it weren't for the fact that it burns through TP like crazy. Yay for the free healing hexer at the other end of the floor.

[quote name='Sideswiper']I just got to the bottom of the 4th Stratum[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the healing spring a couple floors up. Find all the shortcuts on the previous levels and you can get there and back in just a couple minutes.

Oh I thought leaving the floor would reset the FOEs. Let's give that a try!

EDIT: That worked. Though I did end up buying a bunch of Amritas anyway. At least money is a lot easier to make in the next stratum!

Sorry for the big bump, but I just bought this today, and I've become totally addicted in a matter of hours. Even with all the other games I have to play, I suspect this game will consume my gaming time for quite a while to come.

Also, if you've been holding off on getting this, I just want to point out that GameStop is now selling it new for $20.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']how long does atlus take in localizing? They better take just about the same time it takes me to finish this game.

oh and about that...

[quote name='q 3']Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land is a good bet. As is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. (Both PS2.)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cao Cao']The sequel has been announced. New classes and more, mentioned in the Famitsu scans at NeoGAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195617[/QUOTE]

I dont own a PS2, and I have missed all of the great RPGs of the PS1-PS2 generation...yes, its sad.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to point out that i did finally just get a PS2, and working my way through disgaea 2.

I looked into nocturne, and I dont know if this is a joke, but how could i possible afford buying nocturne @ retail or lower. I mean, really.

Is tales of the Forsaken land rare and expensive as well?
and for that matter, worth it? I mean, it isnt portable, and thats part of the magic of EO isnt it?

bread's done
Back