Eureka starts tonight...anyone watching?

The episode they aired tonight was the best episode yet. I was feeling like the series was going downhill, but I'm not as worried after that episode.

excellent, I'll take a shower and watch that before I go to sleep. I got stuck explaining the ENTIRE Internetz to a elderly couple at their house for 4 hours and I am beat. At least I got a can of Ginger-ale as a tip :roll: .

I've missed a bunch of episodes, not out of choice, but I really can't wait for the DVD set of this show. The episodes I've seen make the show very interesting.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']So did any of you guys watch the finale? I've watched pretty much all season, but I thought the finale was a bit of a letdown.[/quote]
I was let down somewhat. I still enjoyed it.

It seemed to me to be a remix of TNG's "Yesterday's Enterprise" and DS9's "Children of Time". Add in some crappy DNA Magic (tm) and a "none of it happened" resolution and it was beginning to feel like an uncomfortable Voyager flashback.

But it was better than that. There were some genuine emotional moments, and this show doesn't shirk away from characterization, which is probably the best thing about it.

The pacing was really bad. While it was nice to have the mystery solved early, that just left the rest of the episode to implement the solution, and we all knew what was going to happen.

The worst part was that there was no choice. The "choice" is to let Kim die her fated death, or The End of the World. Not much of a choice. And while we feel really bad for Kim, she's a guest star that appeared one other time. This would have hit a lot harder if she had been an actual recurring character.

No choice = no drama. What should have happened is that one of the objects from the "real" timeline that appears in the alternate timeline -- maybe something in Carter's Jeep -- indicates that Allison dies in the "real" timeline. Since it appears that Carter goes back to the "real" timeline with his alternate timeline memories, he'd at least have a chance to avert that future in coming seasons.

Okay, I lied. The absolute worst part is the DNA recombobulator that displays a skeleton and grapically reconstructs muscles and body features based on how much DNA it has processed. I know they want to show what's going on instead of just showing a printed out name or spouting technobabble, but that's just silly.

Here is a very humorous (IMO) scene from Eureka.

Good God Salli Richardson is hot.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-eNLRjRwyI[/MEDIA]

I was searching through my list of subscribed threads and saw this thread.

Anyone have thoughts about Eureka Season Two?

I really enjoyed it, except perhaps for the last episode. The season felt short and left me wanting more, which is a good thing.

I liked that while the show had some weird scientific phenomena in each episode, it never strayed too far from the characters and their interactions. Still the best thing about the show, and why I can dislike some of the more fictiony parts of the science and still be very fond of the show.

That said, it did seem to settle into a formula. Weird things happen. Carter investigates. Suspicion is thrown on someone who is innocent. Nathan and Henry are revealed to be experts in yet another completely different scientific field. The real culprit is revealed and disaster is averted thanks to Carter. Everything is back to what passes for normal.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Eureka is totally copying the Star Trek TNG episode "The Next Phase" tonight. You know, the one where Geordi and Ro are "phased" and can't be seen.

http://stng.36el.com/st-tng/episodes/224.html[/QUOTE]

That was the first thing I thought of as well. I thought they did a nice job with it, though -- I stopped comparing the two after awhile. Overall, I thought "The Next Phase" was better.

Eureka was much, much better than last week's magic DNA stuff that TNG was also quite fond of.

bread's done
Back