EVO 2009: Fighting Game Championships - July 17 - 19, Las Vegas, NV (At the Rio!)

:wave: Sup, said hi to you during teh clean up / break down of TVs/displays and stuff. Markman was helping too. :applause:

Who was the date with? ;)

I have teh hotz for that girl that plays smash brothers. She wore that light blue scarf/neck warmer thingie. lol is she single?
dont tell me she was your date :cry:

Saw you guys sitting together + friends during the 3s Finals.

Markman did you get in on any of the Tekken 6 tourney shenanigans?
Namco gave away free PS3s or 360s to winners (free entry tourney too). You know any of the socal players? Like the dudes I always see at Video 94 (MYK, Suiken, Kane, Chet, etc). lol I only play SF4 there and they were trying to recruit me to play and join the gang, cool people though. I watch them play all the time they are pretty sick @ BR.

Well see ya next EVO and maybe at ComicCon, probably not going to con though.

get sum sleepz :D

[quote name='MarkMan']VidPower, it was a pleasure meeting you bro! See you tomorrow probably!

It's 5 AM and we still ain't sleeepinn!! Just had a nice dinner date with a wonderful gal...[/QUOTE]

Just finished watching the MvsC2 Finals, Sanford's Cable was pretty insane. Nice to be able to watch the matches, but the stream is less than ideal especially for a game like Marvel Vs Capcom. Hopefully they can fix it for future EVOs.

OMG -- The Daigo v. Justin Wong SF IV Finals were AMAZING. My mind is totally blown, and an absolutely great watch for any fans. :bomb::bomb::bomb:

Now to get to bed and wake up in 6 hours.

USA! USA! USA! :lol:

Yeah that was really epic, I have to admit I was rooting for Daigo even though I tend to root for the underdogs. I just personally can't stand Justin Wong's lack of humility, sit the fuck down and stop jumping around like an idiot.

[quote name='Justin Wong']ARHARAHRHAHAHAHAHAI'MWINNINGLOLOLOLHYPEHYPEHYPE[/quote]

That's what cost Justin Wong the tournament. Dumbass supreme.

Don't even get me started on how it took Daigo until the very end to win. He concentrated throughout the whole thing while fatty gets carried away getting his ego blown. Kudos to Daigo.

The only thing to complete the loss is to give Wong a floaty.

We’re back in Vegas, but have moved up the tournament date to mid-July???
signature_damoo.jpg
:)

Jumping around like an idiot, ego? Fuc'k that, he has yet to take Daigo out. Those two playing has been a dream match up since 04. So yeah he gets pump on the big stage and he did a hell of a good job coming back from the loser bracket. Fuc'k you haters.

Jumping around like an idiot, ego?
He got so carried away after the first set against Daigo that he forgot he had to keep playing.

Please kindly disregard me from being any sort of "fanboy" of Daigo or any person. This is the first time I'm watching this or know ANYTHING about Evolution. Wong is a showboater and that was all I had to see to make me never give the least bit of feeling sorry for him.

[quote name='LostRoad']Getting hyped is hardly show boating.[/QUOTE]

It's showboating and being cocky. Sit down. You're letting his terrible sportsmanship and arrogant douchebagness get to your head.

In fact, call it whatever the fuck you want. It's still terrible sportsmanship in the end and you're not going to bypass that fact.

How the fu'ck is it being cocky by getting hugs and pats on the back from his friends? Have you ever been in any gaming tourny scene? Shit is standard.Take your stuck up ass some where else. Like you said this is the first evo you have seen so you clearly have no idea what cocky is there. You have zerp idea how big a match that was.

Arn't up yet Mark.

[quote name='LostRoad']Jumping around like an idiot, ego? Fuc'k that, he has yet to take Daigo out. Those two playing has been a dream match up since 04. So yeah he gets pump on the big stage and he did a hell of a good job coming back from the loser bracket. Fuc'k you haters.[/QUOTE]
Yes, we're fully aware of that.

But he did that in other matches, not just the Daigo one. He did his little preemptive victory dance more than once against other opponents, as well as not shaking hands after.

It doesn't take away his ability as a player, Justin Wong is one of the best players in the world, but he could at least show some respect and humility; that's all.

[quote name='yukine']Yes, we're fully aware of that.

But he did that in other matches, not just the Daigo one. He did his little preemptive victory dance more than once against other opponents, as well as not shaking hands after.

It doesn't take away his ability as a player, Justin Wong is one of the best players in the world, but he could at least show some respect and humility; that's all.[/QUOTE]

You mean when he raised the Rufus? I guess when the Elf players stick a finger in the air that is being cocky as well. And just because you did not see him shake someones hand in the thirty secs that the camera was on him does not mean he did not. You guys want to see cocky watch old MvC2 match ups or Counterstrike finals.

[quote name='MarkMan']streams are up on ustream...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/evochampionship[/QUOTE]
For once I think it might be worth getting an IGN insiders account. Being able to watch the matches uncompressed and an HD will be awesome, and at a much cheaper price than having to buy the DVDs like in years past.

I have to watch that Sanford/Wong match in MvsC2 again, that game is just too chaotic and the stream lagged a little too much to be able to get a good view of it.

Also, as a fellow Sakura player I want to watch that Valle/Sabre match and keep wishing I could play Sakura like that! :lol:

[quote name='LostRoad']You mean when he raised the Rufus? I guess when the Elf players stick a finger in the air that is being cocky as well. And just because you did not see him shake someones hand in the thirty secs that the camera was on him does not mean he did not. You guys want to see cocky watch old MvC2 match ups or Counterstrike finals.[/QUOTE]

Come on man, I know the difference. These guys are professionals, and in my opinion Wong was not acting like one for a good portion of the competition. Is it unreasonable for some of us to expect some form of good sportsmanship among the best?

Anyway, lets agree to disagree as I don't want to keep filling the thread with needless bickering. There is something we can all agree on though; this EVO was off the muthafucking chain!

[quote name='VidPower']Another great year for EVO. Amazing finals for MvC2 and SF4. Got to admit, the EVO stream is very well done, what with all the commentary, and the footage of the competitor's faces. I was in the audience, and kind of jealous that the stream watchers had constant commentary on the game, while the audience didn't.[/QUOTE]

Commentary was a mixed bag, Seth did a great job; the rest... not so much. But having a free stream was absolutely phenomenal, even if it did have its problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great year for EVO. Amazing finals for MvC2 and SF4. Got to admit, the EVO stream is very well done, what with all the commentary, and the footage of the competitor's faces. I was in the audience, and kind of jealous that the stream watchers had constant commentary on the game, while the audience didn't.

Damn SFIV finals were amazing. As much as I love Daigo, I wanted Justin to win too. They both did an amazing job. Showboating, being cocky, it's all part of the game. When you come back from the losers bracket to face the top dog, who wouldn't be a little happy to win. And I had no idea Justin's Balrog was such a monster. That was a great match up, but Daigo is great at adjusting even if it wasn't til the very end. I give props to Justin Wong. He may be a cocky in interviews and onstage, he deserves to be. But if you go up to him and say Wassup, he's not the douche you may have assumed he was.

Too bad the screen didn't say "Now Fight Your RIVAL" lol.
Great first EVO for me, can't wait til the next one.

If anyone has an extra 2008's EVO DVD I'll be happy to trade my extra 2007 for it. Let me know.

Our hotel is awake now!

Headin back home in a few hours

I already lost $40 in roulette

I'm about to go get my revenge on it!!!

Don't get me wrong, those dudes would absolutely crush me, but I was surprised to see Rip hitting with Law's d/b+4. Has the speed been improved in T6BR?

back!!

here's s rundown of evo in numbers!!

$143.02 food

$59 in shopping and tourney fees

$145 gambling

$21.79 gas to get home

$66.68 my share of the hotel

total! $435.49

I just got home from Evo, wanted to meet up with some CAG's but it didnt happen. I went the last day, and it was so awesome. I hadnt slept for 28 hours when i drove to the rio, walked in on the start of the 3s Finals. Once they finished, i went and got my room at the sahara (woot to 29 bucks), slept till 5:30, got up, then went to rio and i got there RIGHT when HD Remix finals were about to start till the end of the SF4 finals. Was totally worth the drive. I knew Daigo would win but justin was INSANELY impressive. Whenever he'd combo into the super everyone would flip out!

Damn, what a weekend. It was cool meeting Smallwind Beef Jekki and Markmaaaaan, although it was a shame we didn't get to hang out as much as we did because of evo business. I know I was hella busy with northwest stuff all the time.

blitz, i didnt see your message until late... sorry bro :(

---

EVO2009 Weekend pickups...

3741158967_72d1b3111a.jpg

Got a bunch of the leftover TEKKEN 6 posters that Namco Bandai Games was giving out for the EVO2009 tournament.

3741947174_414bac68b0.jpg

TEKKEN 6 Tattoo sleeves... neat lil' promo item. They had a Devil Jin and Raven tattoo. They look like this when applied... (lol)

3741950774_3eb8cc0568.jpg

Older EVO2007 and 2008 DVD sets that they gave out to attendees. And...

3741156683_90d608daaa.jpg

A few boxes more of them so I can give out at this week's Comic-Con event that I'm running! More info here.

3741154685_0ffc69aa8e.jpg

Street Fighter IV pin set from my friend HeartNana which he got at the Osaka Game Show last year.

And the month wouldn't be complete without...

3741155697_bb29a5caab.jpg

Another new arcade stick. This time a Ver. 2/US version of the Hori Real Arcade PRO EX.

Holy crap blitz6speed. Driving for 28 hours to watch about 5 hours of a tournament is insane! You are truly hardcore, sir!

Hey, greyzieoriental, EVO gave me an extra pair of 2008 dvds for volunteering to help them move stuff right before the 5-on-5. I'd be happy to give them to another CAG. I'll send you a PM.

Anyone else have Evo DVDs that they got for free that need a nice home? Would LOVE to have them. I'll throw you loot for shipping and your time.

Thanks!

[quote name='VidPower']Holy crap blitz6speed. Driving for 28 hours to watch about 5 hours of a tournament is insane! You are truly hardcore, sir![/QUOTE]

LOL, it was only a 3 hour drive from Corona, but i hadn't slept for 28 hours. So worth it.

Markman, all good.

Who else lost their voice and got sick from not sleeping/cheering like a crazy shit for your boys?

I think since wednesday until about 3 pm today I got a total of 20ish hours of sleep.

[quote name='heavyd853']who else lost their voice and got sick from not sleeping/cheering like a crazy shit for your boys?

I think since wednesday until about 3 pm today i got a total of 20ish hours of sleep.[/quote]what!?!?!?!?

heartnana's noel made everyone look silly. and i seen pulsr and all the other socal players play and they will make me look silly.

long way up, huh

dood Trajin I wanted to ask combo fiend about you but the only time I saw him was when he walk talking on his cell phone...

Im back at work now... it sux lol. Im all tired and headache and shyt but Im eating a breakfast burrito to make me feel better

[quote name='JEKKI']dood Trajin I wanted to ask combo fiend about you but the only time I saw him was when he walk talking on his cell phone...

Im back at work now... it sux lol. Im all tired and headache and shyt but Im eating a breakfast burrito to make me feel better[/QUOTE]

:D its cool we got next year, yeah most of the time i was with him but when he went to go money daigo i was at the convention watching the finals of mvc2

[quote name='MarkMan']A few boxes more of them so I can give out at this week's Comic-Con event that I'm running! More info here.[/QUOTE]

You don't happen to have extras of the EVO2006 DVDs they also gave away, do you? :bouncy:

And I was wondering about that pic with the tattoo on his arms. :lol:

heavyd: "Man, I can't wait to play some Tekken 6 during the finals."
Mr. Beef: "There's no casuals during the finals."
smallwind: "Yeah, they already tore down the Tekken stations."
heavyd: "WHAT!? fuck!"

bread's done
Back