Ex-Rhino stores - cheap-ass NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 cartridges!

hxhawkeye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
UPDATE: It appears that the deals might not be quite as cheap as original reported, but there are still some good prices to be had.

[quote name='Scorch']
I saw the memo and the OP just managed to come across a dumbass employee.

When you trade older games, per GS's POS, trade-in is at a penny. What the memo does is provide a generic SKU for you to trade in the games under, giving them 50 cents. Those traded in at 50 cents will be then marked for the cheap price.

However, games currently in Rhino stores are NOT.. I repeat NOT that cheap. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are 9.99, the Mega Man games on NES are 9.99, Paper Mario 64 is 29.99, Final Fantasy 8 and 9 were 24.99 or so..

so once again: The only way for any older game to be 1.99 or cheaper is for someone to trade it in between now and the end of the month (the end of the month is when they stop accepting older trades). The majority of the older games are now 9.99.. which is good if you run across a Final Fantasy 2 or 3, but NONE of these games are as cheap as the OP described. All of the older games were in the store's system. This needs to be removed from the front page since it's the case of a stupid employee (or a friendly employee) and not an actual sale.

And by the way, there were signs up saying that all older Rhino credit will get a 25% boost through the end of the month (and not the 20% that others thought)[/quote]

ORIGINAL POST
I went to my local newly-Gamestopped Rhino today, and all of the old-school games that Gamestop no longer sells have become generic-SKU'd. What this means is:

All NES games - $1.99
All SNES games - $1.99
All Genesis games - $1.99
All N64 games - $2.99

NO exceptions. PS1 games were listed on the same memo as $2.99, but at this time they were scanning in at their title-specific prices, so this may not be in effect just yet.

I scored big here. Go check it out! :)

[quote name='sterlingice']I looked at a couple of different states and they all showed up as "closed", so maybe that's just because they were converted over to Gamestop. Give them a call if you're nearby. That said, the one in MO is in Carthage, MO, so that's not really driving distance for KC- no luck for me. But if you're down by Springfield, that might not be so bad.

SI[/quote]

Yeah, I'm in KC and looks like too far of a drive for me! Thanks though! :)

[quote name='sterlingice']I looked at a couple of different states and they all showed up as "closed", so maybe that's just because they were converted over to Gamestop. Give them a call if you're nearby. That said, the one in MO is in Carthage, MO, so that's not really driving distance for KC- no luck for me. But if you're down by Springfield, that might not be so bad.

SI[/QUOTE]

The converted ones show up as FuncoLands. I'm headed out now.

Went in this morning. They had marked down some of the old school, but not to the degree the OP was able to pick them up at. Top end on SuperNes/Nes games was $9.99. Nintendo 64 mario party 2 was dropped from $27.99 to $20.99. There was a huge stack of things set aside behind the counter reserved for the employees with alot of the top notch games in it. Glad to see the Rhino employees at least were able to get something out of this deal even if its just first dibs on some old school games. I went ahead and picked up a few things for other people since I sold my old school collection off years ago.

THERE IS NO SALE.

Now that I got that point across, let me explain (and sorry if it's been posted, haven't read the replies.)

When you trade older games, per GS's POS, trade-in is at a penny. What the memo does is provide a generic SKU for you to trade in the games under, giving them 50 cents. Those traded in at 50 cents will be then marked for the cheap price.

However, games currently in Rhino stores are NOT.. I repeat NOT that cheap. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are 9.99, the Mega Man games on NES are 9.99, Paper Mario 64 is 29.99, Final Fantasy 8 and 9 were 24.99 or so..

so once again: The only way for any older game to be 1.99 or cheaper is for someone to trade it in between now and the end of the month (the end of the month is when they stop accepting older trades). The majority of the older games are now 9.99.. which is good if you run across a Final Fantasy 2 or 3, but NONE of these games are as cheap as the OP described. All of the older games were in the store's system. This needs to be removed from the front page since it's the case of a stupid employee (or a friendly employee) and not an actual sale.

And by the way, there were signs up saying that all older Rhino credit will get a 25% boost through the end of the month (and not the 20% that others thought)

Yeah. I like how this is front page now when it's not as good as the OP explained.

Still worth going to a store to see if you can snag a few games, but I have no clue how someone would get $2 SNES games...

Just called Rhino, Orlando Metro East. Guy on the phone said all 8-bit and 16-bit games are 75% off and PSX and N64 are BOGO.

[quote name='Scorch']THERE IS NO SALE.

Now that I got that point across, let me explain (and sorry if it's been posted, haven't read the replies.)

And by the way, there were signs up saying that all older Rhino credit will get a 25% boost through the end of the month (and not the 20% that others thought)[/quote]
Makes since it goes along with what I saw for the most part as well. YMMV needs to be added to the title at the least. It would not surprise me to find out certain stores are moving them out quicker. What it comes down to is with the mass confusion going on with the merger, you will probably have confused employees ringing items up incorrectly and misunderstand some new pricing for a few days...

[quote name='kjauburn']Makes since it goes along with what I saw for the most part as well. YMMV needs to be added to the title at the least...[/quote]
What sucks worse is that there's no way to even tell what gets traded in between now and the end of the month, and everyone here knows the employees would grab 'em (both Final Fantasy 2's and Lufia were gone at mine already).

Think about it guys, basic business 101. Average Joe trades in Final Fantasy 2 for $5 in December 06. Game gets put on shelf for $9.99. Average Jane trades in Final Fantasy 2 this morning. Instead of getting a cent, she gets 50 cents, and that copy is placed on the shelf for $1.99.

Gamestop doesn't want to lose money, no matter how small the amount.

kjauburn - There shouldn't be any incorrect ringing up since they have to type in the description of the game and the game's department code. There's no barcodes to scan or anything. Unless you come across a pissed employee (and if he's pissed, he's already bought games for himself) or one that just doesn't know what the fuck to do, this "deal" doesn't exist.

Can someone hook this cheap ass up with a cheap ass copy of "Final Fantasy 9" and any of the PS1 FF compilations? I sense they should be going for beyond cheap at ex-Rhino stores right now. Thanks. :D

[quote name='Demolition Man']Can someone hook this cheap ass up with a cheap ass copy of "Final Fantasy 9" and any of the PS1 FF compilations? I sense they should be going for beyond cheap at ex-Rhino stores right now. Thanks. :D[/quote]
You should sense to read the replies, fool. FF9 was ringing up 19.99.

I apologize to anyone who got their hopes up about this. Fact is, this is the deal I got and I wanted to pass it on to all the CAGs. It's still a good deal for some games at the 9.99 cap though, and I'd advise you to keep checking due to the trade-ins from this point onward being sold at the crazy-cheap price.

I hope some of you benefitted in some amount from all this :)

Oh, Sir hawkeye, I did benefit, and I am quite glad you alerted me to the sale. There's like 3-4 SNES games I used to own that I lost over the years, and FFIII was one of them, so now all I have left is Earthbound, Mario RPG, and maybe a few others.

Just that when I got there and I saw what they had, I was REALLY disappointed when the employees told me the sale was not the same as what you got.

Still, FFIII? Me will take.

On a side note.. about this credit boost thing. Has anyone had any luck with putting it on a gift card? I'd rather do that, and use it at one of the EB locations here in town.

I won't be able to make it to the store until Friday. I wonder what they'll do with the old hardware, like the DC's and SNES's.

[quote name='Scorch']You should sense to read the replies, fool. FF9 was ringing up 19.99.[/quote]

Not really a better price, but I think you can get FF Anthology and Chronicles for less than $15 at Walmart's website last time I checked!

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Not really a better price, but I think you can get FF Anthology and Chronicles for less than $15 at Walmart's website last time I checked![/QUOTE]

According to my ex rhino, this is incorrect info, any games that people trade in will be sold for $1.99 anything they had before they were bought out will be a reduced price, but not $1.99 at all.

[quote name='hxhawkeye']I apologize to anyone who got their hopes up about this. Fact is, this is the deal I got and I wanted to pass it on to all the CAGs. It's still a good deal for some games at the 9.99 cap though, and I'd advise you to keep checking due to the trade-ins from this point onward being sold at the crazy-cheap price.

I hope some of you benefitted in some amount from all this :)[/quote]

Hawkeye edit you original post with the update info if you get a chance...

Okay here's how it went down for me at the store in Montgomery. PS1 and N64 were buy 1 get 1 free. Nothing was really $1.99. I ended up buying:

Vagrant Story Ps1 (mint, complete, non GH) $19.99
Final Fantasy IX (mint complete, non GH) Free
Kid Icarus NES $9.99
Mega Man 6 NES $9.99
Dig Dug II NES $5.99
Super Punch-Out SNES $9.99

Maybe they would be lower in price soon but I wasnt going to take that chance.

[quote name='Scorch']

[/QUOTE]

Uh-uh. Everything WAS ringing up for those prices yesterday, but stores should have received a call stating the obvious - don't sell at these prices. While some people were able to get them for the price, it was not a 'dumb' employee who sold it to them. That's actually what they were selling at yesterday.

I found a couple of things, and what I found people will be receiving PMs shortly.

Went to the Rhino in Orlando, and not too much left that interested me. They do have some nice PS1 games still though: FF9, Parasite Eve, Rhapsody, FF7 (Was PAL though), Legend of Dragoon, and a few others. The NES and SNES games they had left weren't that great though.

I stopped by the Rhino in Asheville, NC this afternoon and they don't really have much of a deal at all. Any games people trade in from now on will be discounted, but none of the stuff they already have. It's a shame too, since they had 2 copies of FF II, 2 copies of FF III, and a copy of Mario RPG among other things.

holy crap. I went by the closet rhino for me and got shut down. I was soooooooo close too, but then the employee called someone higher than he is and it was squashed. My Rhino is a virtual jackpot too. I had never been in there but they had FFII, FFIII Breath of fire 1 and 2, earthbound, mario rpg, lufia, OGRE BATTLE!!! and a whole wwhole bunch more rediculous stuff. I had about 100 cartridges from various systems lined up and he was about to ring em up when he had to call and check. I died on the inside when he told me:whistle2:( he said it is propbably going to happen, and least for my local one though, so I'm calling every day until I hear something.

[quote name='Vilaryn']I stopped by the Rhino in Asheville, NC this afternoon and they don't really have much of a deal at all. Any games people trade in from now on will be discounted, but none of the stuff they already have. It's a shame too, since they had 2 copies of FF II, 2 copies of FF III, and a copy of Mario RPG among other things.[/QUOTE]

Go back and get me the Mario RPG. :(

[quote name='Otherguy676']I have Earthbound to trade for Lufia 2. Any takers?[/quote]

Is the Earthbound complete? Huge box and everything?

[quote name='Skylander7']On a side note.. about this credit boost thing. Has anyone had any luck with putting it on a gift card? I'd rather do that, and use it at one of the EB locations here in town.

I won't be able to make it to the store until Friday. I wonder what they'll do with the old hardware, like the DC's and SNES's.[/QUOTE]

I went by the M'gomery store today. The manager quit. Dunno what happened, I talked to him just last week and he sounded positive about giving it a try. There was a GS guy working there today. He said they weren't converting credit yet - they were supposed to start today, but he hadn't gotten something he needed. Told me to try back later this week.

The store looks really picked over. I know there were some snes FF's, etc. there before, but not now. A friend of mine was in the other day when GS ppl were doing inventory there, and he said they were freaking out at all the great old games that were there - so it doesn't take too much detective work to figure out where the really good games went.

I figure once I get my credit converted, I'm pretty much done with that store. And after I spend that credit, I'm pretty much done w/ GS.

[quote name='miktau']please if anyone gets some extra copies of ff3 for $10 please pm me i will pay for it plus shipping.[/quote]I also wouldn't mind a chance for one of these either or FFII for that matter.

Went to Cartersville and asked the manager there about the sale. He had no idea what I was talking about, other than some prices dropping. He did mention either a manager named Dalton or a store in a town named Dalton had been selling the heritage games for clearance prices, but he's since changed his erring ways.

There are some good prices on psx games, BUT the ones I was interested in were mostly disk only. If it doesn't have case art/instructions that's an incomplete game. But I did grab Rhapsody (complete with ost and case art, et cetera) for $20 plus 10% off so I can return my brothers copy to him finally. And Record of Lodoss War (dreamcast) for $10 plus 10% off.

Not the gaming mecca I had visions of when I logged on to CAG earlier and seeing the front page and the reciept scans, ran out the front door. But not terrible either. Woodstock tomorrow and if there's on in or on the way to Athens thursday, I'll try there as well.

Checked out my local Rhino's here in Jacksonville and while the prices had dropped some, nothing great. I did pick up Mega Man 8 for $5 and Legacy of the Wizard for $2.

Went to the Greenville, SC store yesterday in a mad rush after reading about this bonanza.

First disappointment was the realization that the store had already been picked clean of the "good stuff". And before yesterday this store had tons of "good stuff". Everything they had left was middling to crap. I asked when the prices dropped and they said "this morning". They said "some of my regulars came in and cleaned us out early this morning". I wondered how these regulars found out so quickly but then I spied several stacks of classic games in the floor of the back room when the employees were going in and out. I figure the "regulars" are the regular employees.

Well, I was pissed since I've been wanting Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness for a cheap price forever. (refuse to pay more than $10) and it was gone. But I did find a couple of decent SNES games that had been looked over. That's when I asked about pricing and was told that they were $10 each. I laughed and walked out.

Total Bust.

Went to both Rhinos here and both places told me they weren't selling the snes nes and other games yet. They said PS1 n64 and dreamcast were b1g1 free but said they hadn't recieved a code or something to ring the games up? They had ogre battle,breath of fire II,mega man soccer,(2) mega man X3's,Earthbound and another snes game that I got for them to hold for me with my name on them till they figure it out. One of the guys said they were not going to be sold but sent somewhere. I said where is that and he said some other store. Nobody else sells them in town so I knew he was full of crap. Thanks OP for the heads up on this.

[quote name='Lord Alfred']Went to the Greenville, SC store yesterday in a mad rush after reading about this bonanza.

First disappointment was the realization that the store had already been picked clean of the "good stuff". And before yesterday this store had tons of "good stuff". Everything they had left was middling to crap. I asked when the prices dropped and they said "this morning". They said some of my regulars came in and cleaned us out early this morning. I wondered how these regulars found out so quickly but then I spied several stacks of classic games in the floor of the back room when the employees were going in and out. I figure the "regulars" are the regular employees.

Well, I was pissed since I've been wanting Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness for a cheap price forever. (refuse to pay more than $10) and it was gone. But I did find a couple of decent SNES games that had been looked over. That's when I asked about pricing and was told that they were $10 each. I laughed and walked out.

Total Bust.[/QUOTE]

Well I was one of the regulars I scored about 50 games that I wanted (no Duplicates) Mostly nes and Dreamcast and playstation. I was really pissed though because I got there when they opened and The manager told me about the sale. Another guy that always sells at the flea martkets was there as well. He bought over 400 games. I heard him ask the manager if there where any mario titles for 64. He said he had about 8 copies of each of the mario partys, and lots of the Mario 64 and smashbrothers. THE GUY BOUGHT THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also when they where confused as to how to ring these up So I picked out several games( Marvel Capcom2 for dreamcast,FF3, FF2 among others)
This guy saw me pick them out and tell the manager to hold them behind the counter. The manager was going to call me when he figured it out. This guy waited untill I left and the manager went into the back and he asked another employee to sell him the games.
He Took them ALL!!!!!!!!

I am happy that I got such a great score but whoever that guy was if you post on here just know I think you are a complete and total ass!

[quote name='filldoh1']Well I was one of the regulars I scored about 50 games that I wanted (no Duplicates) Mostly nes and Dreamcast and playstation. I was really pissed though because I got there when they opened and The manager told me about the sale. Another guy that always sells at the flea martkets was there as well. He bought over 400 games. I heard him ask the manager if there where any mario titles for 64. He said he had about 8 copies of each of the mario partys, and lots of the Mario 64 and smashbrothers. THE GUY BOUGHT THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also when they where confused as to how to ring these up So I picked out several games( Marvel Capcom2 for dreamcast,FF3, FF2 among others)
This guy saw me pick them out and tell the manager to hold them behind the counter. The manager was going to call me when he figured it out. This guy waited untill I left and the manager went into the back and he asked another employee to sell him the games.
He Took them ALL!!!!!!!!

I am happy that I got such a great score but whoever that guy was if you post on here just know I think you are a complete and total ass![/QUOTE]

That guy is going to hell. He didn't have enough already with his 400 games so he took the ones you asked them to hold as well? jeez. some people.

Urg, would it kill GameStop to still provide older games? Went to look at Rhino's main site to find a store, only to pull up GameStop's site on the main page. Had to Google the store locator..only to be to disappointed in finding out that the only Florida stores are up north.

Seems all I have for any chance of buying older games now are flea markets and eBay. :(

Ugh. Visited the Greenville, SC store myself. Absolute bust. The good stuff was totally wiped out. Glad it's only about fifteen minutes out of my way. Either way, the prices weren't as good as what the OP got. But I guess that's been established.

[quote name='Chrono72090']TOTAL bust at my store =/

Besides of course Persona 2 for $50 -_-[/quote]

Did you have them, you know, LOOK IT UP? The majority of Rhino stores haven't changed stickers yet.

I still don't get why people complain about prices sometimes when they don't even ask.. cripes, stickers can always be outdated.

On a side note..

why the fuck are you people passing up FF2 and FF3 for 9.99?! Come on, guys!

[quote name='Scorch']Did you have them, you know, LOOK IT UP? The majority of Rhino stores haven't changed stickers yet.

I still don't get why people complain about prices sometimes when they don't even ask.. cripes, stickers can always be outdated.

On a side note..

why the fuck are you people passing up FF2 and FF3 for 9.99?! Come on, guys![/QUOTE]

I did, and Persona 2 was $30. I had the guy hold a FF Origins & Anthology (I think..either Anth or Chronicles) since he said they didn't have any prices in the system for them yet so he couldn't sell them.

And I doubt anyone's finding any FF3's for $10, not at this point. I probably WOULD have had some kind of heads up, because I had asked the manager to let me know if they were gonna clearance the old stuff & he said he would...but as I mentioned, he quit. :whistle2:(

I'm going to check this deal out tommorow at my local former rhino, I don't even have any of these systems out of boxes but I'd like to make some money on ebay.

[quote name='Boeing 747']I'm going to check this deal out tommorow at my local former rhino, I don't even have any of these systems out of boxes but I'd like to make some money on ebay.[/quote]
it's awesome when people don't read replies

[quote name='filldoh1']Another guy that always sells at the flea martkets was there as well. He bought over 400 games. [/QUOTE]

This guy that sells at local flea markets. Do you know anything more specific? Does he have a booth at the world famous "Jockey Lot - The South's Largest Flea Market"?

I'm just wondering since I live very near the aforementioned "Lot" and would like to check out his booth next Saturday.

I went in about 10 minutes after opening this morning and the register jockey said all the games were still at sticker price. I hope at least one of the 2 copies of ff3 they had are still there tomorrow, I doubt it though :(

[quote name='argyle']I went by the M'gomery store today........

The store looks really picked over. I know there were some snes FF's, etc. there before, but not now. A friend of mine was in the other day when GS ppl were doing inventory there, and he said they were freaking out at all the great old games that were there - so it doesn't take too much detective work to figure out where the really good games went.

[/quote]

Thanks for letting me know. Saves me a trip to that side of town! I was planning on going after work today, but I figured most of the good stuff would be gone by now anyway.

bread's done
Back