Ex-Rhino stores - cheap-ass NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 cartridges!

hxhawkeye

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
UPDATE: It appears that the deals might not be quite as cheap as original reported, but there are still some good prices to be had.

[quote name='Scorch']
I saw the memo and the OP just managed to come across a dumbass employee.

When you trade older games, per GS's POS, trade-in is at a penny. What the memo does is provide a generic SKU for you to trade in the games under, giving them 50 cents. Those traded in at 50 cents will be then marked for the cheap price.

However, games currently in Rhino stores are NOT.. I repeat NOT that cheap. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are 9.99, the Mega Man games on NES are 9.99, Paper Mario 64 is 29.99, Final Fantasy 8 and 9 were 24.99 or so..

so once again: The only way for any older game to be 1.99 or cheaper is for someone to trade it in between now and the end of the month (the end of the month is when they stop accepting older trades). The majority of the older games are now 9.99.. which is good if you run across a Final Fantasy 2 or 3, but NONE of these games are as cheap as the OP described. All of the older games were in the store's system. This needs to be removed from the front page since it's the case of a stupid employee (or a friendly employee) and not an actual sale.

And by the way, there were signs up saying that all older Rhino credit will get a 25% boost through the end of the month (and not the 20% that others thought)[/quote]

ORIGINAL POST
I went to my local newly-Gamestopped Rhino today, and all of the old-school games that Gamestop no longer sells have become generic-SKU'd. What this means is:

All NES games - $1.99
All SNES games - $1.99
All Genesis games - $1.99
All N64 games - $2.99

NO exceptions. PS1 games were listed on the same memo as $2.99, but at this time they were scanning in at their title-specific prices, so this may not be in effect just yet.

I scored big here. Go check it out! :)

Orlando Rhino had 75% off NES, SNES & DC games when I went there yesterday. I bought a bunch of NES & SNES - nothing rare, just random games to add to the collection (most exciting was Super R-Type). Looked like someone got there earlier in the day and got anything really worthwhile. Can't complain about the price, though: $22 for 32 games.

[quote name='acey']Can't complain about the price, though: $22 for 32 games.[/quote]
Nice job! If I wasn't getting rid of my NES, I would have gone on a mad NES spree too. I do love me some NES.

[quote name='argyle']I did, and Persona 2 was $30. I had the guy hold a FF Origins & Anthology (I think..either Anth or Chronicles) since he said they didn't have any prices in the system for them yet so he couldn't sell them.

And I doubt anyone's finding any FF3's for $10, not at this point. I probably WOULD have had some kind of heads up, because I had asked the manager to let me know if they were gonna clearance the old stuff & he said he would...but as I mentioned, he quit. :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

i think i was there when you were at about 12? there was some good stuff a while back but most of the good stuff was gone. at least i managed to find a good copy of vagrant story since i have been looking for it for a while.

[quote name='Matarick']Can you get a brother Disruptor? That is the only game I want, I can cash or paypal the difference, shipping and them some.

I just played Resistance: Fall of Man and I want to compare the two games.

Thank you in advance.[/quote]

What kind of a comparison is that? lol. Disruptor was made by a team of two to four people at Insomniac, Resistance by hundreds. I doubt there is much of a similarity. I may be wrong though...

[quote name='mcgavin27']I picked up a complete Power Stone (Dc) and a disc only copy of MArvel vs. Capcom 2 (dc) for $20.[/quote]

wow, what a deal? MVC2 is worth 60 bucks alone!

[quote name='Docman']wow, what a deal? MVC2 is worth 60 bucks alone![/quote]That's my problem. There were some good deals, but all the games I was interested in were disc only, or had no case art or instructions. I just can't spend money on half a game.

I went to my Rhino and found that the prices were not that cheap but I got some good deals. They had FF II and III for SNES for 9.99 which were originally 34.99. Final Fantasy NES for 9.99. Super Mario RPG 9.99. The guy that was working told me that they were marking the prices as what gamestop would sell them for. They had some really good deals. some of these games are going high on ebay.

If anyone finds a Super Mario RPG, I'd like to play it. I don't need to own it, I'd just like to play it. Anyone willing to let me borrow one, I'd appreciate it.

[quote name='scooters28_2']I went to my Rhino and found that the prices were not that cheap but I got some good deals. They had FF II and III for SNES for 9.99 which were originally 34.99. Final Fantasy NES for 9.99. Super Mario RPG 9.99. The guy that was working told me that they were marking the prices as what gamestop would sell them for. They had some really good deals. some of these games are going high on ebay.[/quote]

Please tell me that you weren't a dumbass and you bought FF2, FF3 and Super Mario RPG.

yeah, the higher prices kinda of threw me off, but i still picked up Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, Final Fight 3, and Gunstar Heroes gen for $26. but damn, i had a pile i wanted to pick up, Actraiser 2, Secret of Evermore, Ninja Gaiden 2, etc.

btw, i seem to recall that the Genesis Shadowrun is loads better than the SNES one, and i saw a copy of the SNES version at rhino. can anyone recommend picking up the SNES version?

[quote name='guinaevere']That's my problem. There were some good deals, but all the games I was interested in were disc only, or had no case art or instructions. I just can't spend money on half a game.[/QUOTE]

same here, although cartridge only i can do, if it's cheap enough. i'm considering going back for a few games, but it really sucks everything's not $2.

If you get the chance you must buy Shadowrun for SNES! I got it years ago used at Blockbuster. I enjoyed the "hacking" sequences and the story was pretty interesting IIRC. Very fun game if you like action/adventure/RPG mash-ups. I tried the Genesis Shadowrun for a short time (less than an hour) but couldn't get into it - maybe I needed to give it more time?

no i could just be confused, that the SNES version's the really good one and the Genny version sucked, which was the case with most multiplat games back then i would guess, since SNES is mroe powerful. but i could've sworn i'd heard Shadowrun was the exception. anyway, i'll have to make a return trip.

btw, does anyone know if you can use your discount cards, i forgot to try the 10% discount.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']no i could just be confused, that the SNES version's the really good one and the Genny version sucked, which was the case with most multiplat games back then i would guess, since SNES is mroe powerful. but i could've sworn i'd heard Shadowrun was the exception. anyway, i'll have to make a return trip.

btw, does anyone know if you can use your discount cards, i forgot to try the 10% discount.[/QUOTE]

Neither Shadowrun sucks.

The SNES one is more story driven and more linear.

The Genesis one is not as story driven and is more open ended.

Both are good games.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']no i could just be confused, that the SNES version's the really good one and the Genny version sucked, which was the case with most multiplat games back then i would guess, since SNES is mroe powerful. but i could've sworn i'd heard Shadowrun was the exception. anyway, i'll have to make a return trip.

btw, does anyone know if you can use your discount cards, i forgot to try the 10% discount.[/quote]

Yes, you can use the EB/GS discount cards there now.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Yes, you can use the EB/GS discount cards there now.[/QUOTE]

Has the Montgomery store started doing the credit boost and putting it on gift cards yet?

I may hit a couple rural stores this weekend and snag some DC/PS1 games, depending on my level of intoxication and if I'm lazy.

[quote name='Skylander7']Has the Montgomery store started doing the credit boost and putting it on gift cards yet?

I may hit a couple rural stores this weekend and snag some DC/PS1 games, depending on my level of intoxication and if I'm lazy.[/QUOTE]

Yes, as a matter of fact I stopped by today at lunch. They put the credit on a gift card for me with no problem. They still had no idea how much to charge for those 2 FF psone games I asked them to put back. I don't really care at this point - if they find out & call me with a decent price, I may swing back by. If not, no loss - I probably won't go back by there.

I just got off the phone with the Rhino store in Louisville, and the woman I talked to told me this was BS (her words, not mine).

I told her I read online that Rhino stores were clearing out all their classic games, and before I could even ask her anymore she wanted to know where I read that. I told her it came from here and she got kinda bitchy. "I know that site, they're always posting stuff that's BS!" :roll:

She told me that prices on classics had dropped, but that they were all still seperately priced and that they weren't just trying to throw them all away. She said the only real change was that they were no longer accepting trades on classic games.

I was pretty disappointed. I had planned on making the drive down there from the Cincinnati area just to get in on this deal. Oh well.

[quote name='filldoh1']Well I was one of the regulars I scored about 50 games that I wanted (no Duplicates) Mostly nes and Dreamcast and playstation. I was really pissed though because I got there when they opened and The manager told me about the sale. Another guy that always sells at the flea martkets was there as well. He bought over 400 games. I heard him ask the manager if there where any mario titles for 64. He said he had about 8 copies of each of the mario partys, and lots of the Mario 64 and smashbrothers. THE GUY BOUGHT THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also when they where confused as to how to ring these up So I picked out several games( Marvel Capcom2 for dreamcast,FF3, FF2 among others)
This guy saw me pick them out and tell the manager to hold them behind the counter. The manager was going to call me when he figured it out. This guy waited untill I left and the manager went into the back and he asked another employee to sell him the games.
He Took them ALL!!!!!!!!

I am happy that I got such a great score but whoever that guy was if you post on here just know I think you are a complete and total ass![/quote]

it was nice to meet a fellow cag,in store, and i was not the asshole,lol, isaw him in the store wensday. i have alot of good help at greenville store, the guys have always been real helpful, probaly be the only gs i deal with

I went by a Rhino near me, and they had TONS of awesome, rare classics. Noteables include Tales of Destiny I and II (multiple copies), any Final Fantsy ps1 game, Arc the Lad Collection, the ps1 Lunar games, and a bunch of other ps1 rares. They also had a bunch of awesome SNES games, like all of the Mega Man X's, Final Fantasy II, Secret of Evermore, Shadowrun, and a bunch of others. I didn't have time to check out the Genesis, NES, or N64 piles, but they had PLENTY. I was disappointed though, because nothing was discounted (although at B1G1 for N64 and PS1, Tales of Destiny II and a comparable game for a total of $35 isn't bad, methinks) and the people working were jerks. Oh well.

I found another Rhino and got a good haul. I got Breath of Fire III and IV (both complete and in excellent shape), Final Fantasy Chronicles and Anthology (both complete and in excellent shape, just Greatest Hits), and Illusion of Gaia (cart only, SNES games were 70% off) all for $52! I'm pretty pleased.

Damnit .... there are no Rhinos nearby, but I may just do a road trip. Otherwise, if anyone wants to save me a trip, I'd like any PS1/SNES RPG. Tell me which ones you have, and I'll throw in extra money for your troubles. Or you could cml, that works too.

I went to the Orlando Rhino today when I was visiting my girlfriend. For $18 dollars, I didnt get anything fancy, just filled in some holes - Disc only Blue Stinger, Cart only Astynax and Streets of Rage 2. I got Master of Monsters w/ manual but no box. I got Shadow Madness and Evil Zone w/ box no manual. Complete, I got Fade ot Black, Shadow Tower, Warhawk, and the cream of the crop, Psychic Detective PSOne. I dont know how that lasted, but I know it was one of the rarest PSOne games. I also got a N64 power brick for a friend.

[quote name='tomfoolery']murfreesboro, tn is definitely not the case.[/quote]

I could've told you that, that's the store I hit.

I don't really understand why people think this deal is going on - it's even in the OP that the deal does not exist.

fuck you all and your rhino store, I have never seen one, and now I'm even more mad cause a friend of mine up north told me their store had all these great games that got bought up by him and his buds, but fuck! :[

As a manager allow me to clarify. First off games are not going to clarence for a long time and your store was not stupid if you knew how time consuming it was to change all of those damn stickers, i am being a comlete asshole and not selling any of them at all until wedneday.Not only this but all rhino employees are buying the good shit ask them to see whats in the hold bn dumbasses

[quote name='rhinogirl52204']As a manager allow me to clarify. First off games are not going to clarence for a long time and your store was not stupid if you knew how time consuming it was to change all of those damn stickers, i am being a comlete asshole and not selling any of them at all until wedneday.Not only this but all rhino employees are buying the good shit ask them to see whats in the hold bn dumbasses[/quote]

I can see why you're a manager.

[quote name='Rev. Link']I just got off the phone with the Rhino store in Louisville, and the woman I talked to told me this was BS (her words, not mine).

I told her I read online that Rhino stores were clearing out all their classic games, and before I could even ask her anymore she wanted to know where I read that. I told her it came from here and she got kinda bitchy. "I know that site, they're always posting stuff that's BS!" :roll:

She told me that prices on classics had dropped, but that they were all still seperately priced and that they weren't just trying to throw them all away. She said the only real change was that they were no longer accepting trades on classic games.

I was pretty disappointed. I had planned on making the drive down there from the Cincinnati area just to get in on this deal. Oh well.[/quote]

actually we are taking games until the end of the month i am not fron the louisville store but i am from the Glasgow store. Amanda is the manager at th louisville store she s aweome she is never "bitchy" and she works 100 hour a week and im sure she knows nothing of this site nicole

As a manager allow me to clarify. First off games are not going to clarence for a long time and your store was not stupid if you knew how time consuming it was to change all of those damn stickers, i am being a comlete asshole and not selling any of them at all until wedneday.Not only this but all rhino employees are buying the good shit ask them to see whats in the hold bn dumbasses

actually we are taking games until the end of the month i am not fron the louisville store but i am from the Glasgow store. Amanda is the manager at th louisville store she s aweome she is never "bitchy" and she works 100 hour a week and im sure she knows nothing of this site nicole
I am glad that if I ever get hit on the head and forget how to type, form a sentence and/or complete thought, and spell, I will still have a job waiting for me managing a Rhino/Gamestop. Whew!

[quote name='rhinogirl52204']actually we are taking games until the end of the month i am not fron the louisville store but i am from the Glasgow store. Amanda is the manager at th louisville store she s aweome she is never "bitchy" and she works 100 hour a week and im sure she knows nothing of this site nicole[/quote]

"100 hours a week"? Right. Over 12 hours a day. Shut up.

[quote name='rhinogirl52204']As a manager allow me to clarify. First off games are not going to clarence for a long time and your store was not stupid if you knew how time consuming it was to change all of those damn stickers, i am being a comlete asshole and not selling any of them at all until wedneday.Not only this but all rhino employees are buying the good shit ask them to see whats in the hold bn dumbasses

actually we are taking games until the end of the month i am not fron the louisville store but i am from the Glasgow store. Amanda is the manager at th louisville store she s aweome she is never "bitchy" and she works 100 hour a week and im sure she knows nothing of this site nicole[/quote]

she was quite "bitchy" when i went in. she was rude before i'd even opened my mouth and was treating me with some bizarre level of contempt even when i was just looking at the ps1 section.

when i was over by the snes games, she informed me that none of the sticker prices were correct, which i took to mean the clearance prices might be in place. i asked if she knew what the prices were, expecting her to say something about said clearance prices, but instead had her actually laugh at me and rudely say no, as if i were a complete moron for even asking her such a question. i then looked back down at the games and noticed that quite literally all of them had freshly printed, eb/gs generic sku stickers with "1.99" printed in giant bold letters on them. the clearance prices actually were in effect, and i assume as a manager she was well aware that all of the games had been re-stickered to reflect that. i gave a puzzled look and walked out.

between her and you, i'm getting the impression rhino employees are going to fit in WONDERFULLY with the eb/gs family.

[quote name='rhinogirl52204']As a manager allow me to clarify. First off games are not going to clarence for a long time and your store was not stupid if you knew how time consuming it was to change all of those damn stickers, i am being a comlete asshole and not selling any of them at all until wedneday.Not only this but all rhino employees are buying the good shit ask them to see whats in the hold bn dumbasses[/quote]...

This girl will definately have a long career in retail.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']If anyone finds a Super Mario RPG, I'd like to play it. I don't need to own it, I'd just like to play it. Anyone willing to let me borrow one, I'd appreciate it.[/quote]

Well there are ways of playing games without buying them, especially older ones like Super Mario RPG. Hint hint.

I bought a NES-Castlevania for someone, but it looks like they aren't going to pay me. I'm taking it back today unless someone wants it. I paid $10.

if anyone's looking for Lufia & the Fortress of Doom, i just realized i already had a copy after playing through the intro. i'm interested in other RPGs for SNES or PS1.

and if anyone at all finds an extra Brigandine, CML please.

Originally posted in Tampa Bay thread

Cleaned out the Aubernadale FKA Rhino on my way back from Orlando today.
Spent $100 (Ill get $30 back because the SNES they sold me was broke).

Got about 70 games. Highlights are
Brigandine Complete - $20
Street Fighter Double Impact Complete - $1.50
DRACULA X!!!! Cart only, some sticker/label damage residue SNES - $1.50
Brainlord, cart only - $1.50
Final Fantasy 2 cart only - $1.50 2nd Copy
Breath of Fire cart only - $1.50
Dragon Warrior 2 cart only - .75 2nd Copy
Super Double Dragon - $1.50
7th Saga - $1.50
Psychic Detective Complete PSOne - $2.50 (Orlando)

There were also a lot of secondary hard to find titles like
Cacoma Knight in Bizyland
Two Crude Dudes (Tampa)
Super Bomberman 2
Turtles IV
Wolverine (NES)
Zelda 1 (NES - Cleanest gold cart Ive seen in a while, looks new)
Shadowrun
Super Mario Kart (2nd Copy)

and a bunch of others, many rares that I cant remeber right now. It was a great haul and I left a lot that I pointed out to other people in the store as I was being rung up (took 30 minutes to input in system). Passed on some poor conditioned rares like Super Mario RPG etc. I also passed on several rares that other people took and on buying more than 1 copy of any games (such as the other 2-3 Dragon Warrior 2s) so others can enjoy these classics. I really didn't want to hoard. Only game I missed that I wanted was a clean Death and Return of Superman that I passed because another guy really wanted it. Some games will be for trade (any doubles I have), I want the Lufias, Paladin's Quest, Robotica, Inindo and other SNES (Cart Only is fine) and PSOne (complete) RPGS I dont have. I am also Interested in a complete Snacher (I will trade up) Sega CD, a complete Guardian Heroes Saturn (I will trade up) and Lucienne's Quest (3D0). Please check my games list to see what I dont have.

*EDIT*

Went to Tampa Rhino for last hurrah. Returned a Shadow Madness that I bought on impulse in Orlando that was missing Disc 3. I bought Fatal Fury Wild Ambition Complete (!) along with several SNES/Genesis/NES/Dreamcast games. The employee was awsome, I talked to him so long that I was late for work. They had three copies of Breath of Fire IV, but the price was $30. If that ever drops, I think Ill go back to pick up a copy. They are officially cleaned out as a guy who has a stand at a flea market was also there and bought a bunch of games. I will be pouring out a little liquor for Rhino tonight in remeberance as it seems this is the end of the deal. I made out extremely well because of Auberndale, and I hope other people got good games too.

And Pimptyranny, I am interested in Lufia, are you interested in Breath of Fire? I am keeping Brigandine, otherwise I would of offered that.

Well, I went to Rhino today...and they were still trying to charge full price for the classic games. What the hell? Man, screw that.

[quote name='fazzle']Well, I went to Rhino today...and they were still trying to charge full price for the classic games. What the hell? Man, screw that.[/quote]

Did you try ringining them through the register?

it should discount if they are on the gamestop system

Rhino #5761
Glasgow Crossing
2377 Happy Valley Road
Glasgow KY, 42141 US
(270)678-5810
Distance: 2.14 miles

Thanks rhinogirl.

Megahitvideogames.com owns most of the classic Rhino Video Games stuff as they bought out many stores!!! You can also check their store out in the mall if you live in Ocala FL

Megahitvideogames is by far the most expensive game store I have been to. I used to swing by the Paddock Mall and check them out. They have a nice selection, but any game that is even moderately hard to find is priced higher than ebay price. The ebay store is also expensive with a $8 plus shipping charge. I would love to give Megahit business, however, the prices need to be lowered if Megahit is to get any business off CAG.

I can also vouch that the place is super expensive. I wonder if that guy is actually making money in the mall. Also, you screen name gives you dead away. Kinda wish you never found this site but oh well.

[quote name='megahitvideogames.co']Megahitvideogames.com owns most of the classic Rhino Video Games stuff as they bought out many stores!!! You can also check their store out in the mall if you live in Ocala FL[/quote]
Wow, you bought all the cheap games before we got to them, and now you'll graciously sell them to us for inflated prices? Thanks megahitvideogames.com, you're swell!

[quote name='megahitvideogames.co']Megahitvideogames.com owns most of the classic Rhino Video Games stuff as they bought out many stores!!! You can also check their store out in the mall if you live in Ocala FL[/QUOTE]

Go spam somewhere else.

Speaking of expensive games, I saw a used copy of the silver Zelda CE for Gamecube for 79.99 at this store called Digital Planet.

bwahahahah

[quote name='elmyra']Wow, you bought all the cheap games before we got to them, and now you'll graciously sell them to us for inflated prices? Thanks megahitvideogames.com, you're swell![/QUOTE]

I'm driving out to Ocala this weekend and I'm going to buy them out!!!

All the dude did is just drive away business, now that we know he bought out all the Rhino's just to super inflate the price :roll:

I wish I had more independent game shops around here, the gamestops and shit are cool, we just used to have this awesome import shop, jacked up prices.. but theyd let you rent games.. and systems too. videogameHQ was their name IIRC.

bread's done
Back