Exchange Rate Make US Purchases Tempting?

Liquidd

CAG Veteran
I'm wondering if anyone here from Canada is taking advantage of the good exchange rate between the Loonie/Green-Back, and if so, what they would recommend.

Meh, for shipping/duty charges, unless you're actually travelling to the States, I'd still buy from Canada, especially for smaller items like video games. If it's a console, a TV, PC, etc., then I might be inclined to buy from the U.S. if the warranty's still valid and the savings offset the shipping/duty fees.

EDIT: support the Canadian economy! =)

[quote name='Princess Zelda']I'll proabbly be getting the Resdent Evil 4 for the Wii from the US. I'm not paying $40 for a game that's $30 in the US.[/quote]use buy.com if you have a friend down there, google checkout it for $10 off so its 18.99 =D

Yes but only if I'm in the US. Shipping charges negate the exchange benefits. What I'm more interested in is a repricing of games in Canada, titles should now only be $5 more then the US list price. The worse offender atm is the 360 which some 70$ US more expensive in Canada, I guess that is why Future Shop is giving people 4 games with the system.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']I'll proabbly be getting the Resdent Evil 4 for the Wii from the US. I'm not paying $40 for a game that's $30 in the US.[/quote]

It's $35 Canadian at EB Games. Unless you mean after tax.

What are some of the better US sites to get stuff from? It's a pain trying to find sites that ship to Canada and I'm worried about ending up having to pay duty which really sucks.

for games in general there really isn't any that i know of, buy.com is great because you can use the $10 off $30 google checkout, but unfortunately they don't ship to Canada

Wow! That's a great find, shipping is $3.99 per order + $1.99 per game. So if you get 1 game it'd be $6, 2 games would be $8 and so forth. They charge GST to Canadain customers, so we won't get hit at the border with a extra $8 COD charge. And they have access to all of GameStops bonus goodies!!! So if you want the Eternal Sonata pre-order faceplate and you don't want EB screwing you out of it like they always do...

Hehehe, I need to try them out :)

Edit: !? They still have the Castlevaina 20th Anniversary bonus?
http://videogames.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?z=y&EAN=2000003121038&Itm=26

Maybe their listings aren't quite so accurate

actually it says for international economy it's

Games, Software & Accessories: $5.00

but that's still way cheaper than that 14.99 charge

Wait, every 360 game I look at on Barnes & Noble says shipping to US Addresses only? How are you preordering Eternal Sonata from there, if you are? So maybe only 360 games can't be shipped to Canada? Lame! I would pay the 14.99 shipping from EB for the Eternal Sonata preorder, but I sent them an email and they won't ship it to Canada...

I never noticed that on Xbox games, that blows royally :bomb:

[quote name='mrduckbear']actually it says for international economy it's

Games, Software & Accessories: $5.00

but that's still way cheaper than that 14.99 charge
[/quote]
Ah yeah I think you're right, I was looking at this, I missed the fine print underneath. But however they work it they're doing way better Gamestop.

The exchange rate is awesome! I have been buying crap off ebay like mad. just remmeber if you buy stuff online to remember it may have duty on it too.

customs tax is 50/50 according to my customs officer friend, also if you buy/trade anything off someone from the states get them to mark the value as 15 or under, anything valued $15 and under and labelled as a gift will NOT BE TAXED

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']EDIT: support the Canadian economy! =)[/QUOTE]

yeah, i'll support it when the prices are fair. i get making a profit, but the fucking exchange rate isn't 1.5 to 1 anymore. its all about buying things in the state, no tax and free shipping if you do it right.

[quote name='mrduckbear']what about barnes and nobles?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

their games are from gamestop but it says they ship games for waay cheaper than the outrageous 14.99 shipping gamestop/eb charge for[/quote]

Wow, I finally had a reason try out B&N. Dragoneer's Aria just came out and local EBs don't seem to have gotten the artbook.

THEIR SHIPPING MAKES GAMESTOP LOOK CHEAP. $35 fricking dollars to ship 1 PSP game with a small book to Canada :bomb: Ridiculus...

I guess I'm just going to order it from NIS, they're not cheap but they'll be a bit better than Gamestop.

I was in the States the other day, and we really are getting ripped off. $250 Wii, $350 360 Premium, most new releases $10 less than Canadian prices... geez.

[quote name='frozzted']Search the page for Canada: Delivery Time and Shipping Rates[/quote]

Hmm.. but then under that it says to refer to the PC and Video Game chart?

[quote name='method47']Hmm.. but then under that it says to refer to the PC and Video Game chart?[/quote]

I apologize for not fully reading. It looks like those charts are just for books/vhs/music/dvd orders.

It must be $29.99 plus $5 per item like you said. Which makes no sense.

I have never found a US site that ships games for a reasonable price. eBay is really the only place you can sometimes find reasonable prices.
~S

[quote name='Liquidd']I'm wondering if anyone here from Canada is taking advantage of the good exchange rate between the Loonie/Green-Back, and if so, what they would recommend.[/quote] Being that I live close to the BC/Washington boarder I buy all my video games/tv/computer stuff in the states. I have a PO Box in Point Roberts, WA that I send all my goodies to. Even when the exchange rate was nothing to write home about if you live close to a US boarder video games where always cheaper cause the states dont have that retarded $10 to $100 markup on games/systems how Canada does.
If you are heading down to the states or half a PO box in the states I got a few tips for you -
If you are heading down to the states for under 24 hours you will not be taxed on anything up to $50
If you are in the states for over 24 hours that limit goes up to $200 no taxed person.
If you are buying a 360 game in the state add about $3 to 5 for teh exchange rate...still saving a good amount of cash. Bigger ticket items like TV/computers you save way more buying them in the states.

bread's done
Back