Extreme Space Invading! Space Invaders Extreme

FurryCurry

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I didn't see a topic for this game but since the PSP version has a demo out the hype train has been building up steam.

However, the Nintendo DS version will be the best version of the game to own with its, double screen height, Wi-Fi play (why the PSP lacks this is a mystery), and the optional Paddle Controller. Here's IGN's Craig with his glowing preview: http://ds.ign.com/articles/854/854874p1.html

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5UfB1_Jznvg[/media]

It looks way too easy. A giant beam that destroys everything? Fire 5 shots at once? I prefer the original, firing one shot at a time with the invaders in a slow death march down to earth, gradually speeding up until there's one or two rushing in to kill you in a final blast of kamikazee glory! Don't forget you have to count the motherships crossing over to get the best score!

Sorry, took me back to my youth there for a second...

Carry on!

Ugh... It's not hard in that sense. The difficulty comes in chaining and hitting all the bonus rounds. I still can't get an A rank on the demo.

If this controls with stylus + R button, I may like that.
I really enjoyed the PSP Demo and the analog stick worked well with it.

What's with the annoying voice? "Jackpot!", "Jackpot!" is going to ruin it. The glowing reviews based off the PSP demo don't seem to transfer to the DS vid clip. I dunno, it looks kinda cruddy.

It's not quite as easy as this video makes it look. There definitely is a challenge there, especially as you get later in the levels. But half the fun is the Rez-like synchronization with the music. I really like it a lot. But I will say that after playing this a while, I happened upon an old-school Space Invaders cabinet, and it was definitely much harder. :)

I've spent some time w/ the japanese version and I must say this game is incredibly addictive and a lot of fun. The special powerups don't usually last all that long, and sometimes they're needed just to get through to a boss stage. The later levels get rather hard.

In fact, it even has branching levels where you can choose a harder path. If this launched at $20 it would be a must buy.

Yeah, I was really not expecting the game to be as good as it was, but boy am I happy with it. I've been playing the Japanese version over the last couple of days and the music synchronization, the power ups, bonus rounds, bosses, and branching paths really make the game excellent. It's probably one of the best time wasters I've come across in the last few months.

I haven't seen too many actual reviews of the game but more just hand's on play. Anyone think this is worth the $40 I saw it for on play-asia? I LOVED the game as a kid but is this worth the $$ to pick an extreme makeover for a classic game such as space invaders?

[quote name='CrushEm']I haven't seen too many actual reviews of the game but more just hand's on play. Anyone think this is worth the $40 I saw it for on play-asia? I LOVED the game as a kid but is this worth the $$ to pick an extreme makeover for a classic game such as space invaders?[/quote]

If you live here in North America why aren't you just going to wait for the domestic release for $20?

Has the domestic release been confirmed? Do we know if it will still support the paddle (or if it's even coming out here)? I'm thinking of importing Arkanoid and Space Invaders, based on how addictive the PSP demo was.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']Has the domestic release been confirmed? Do we know if it will still support the paddle (or if it's even coming out here)? I'm thinking of importing Arkanoid and Space Invaders, based on how addictive the PSP demo was.[/quote]

According to IGN, it will be released domestically on June 17.

That's good news. I didn't realize that a north american version was in the works. Thanks for the heads up. I think I can wait till June to pick it up for the DS. Too busy with Super Smash Bros atm anyways! ;)

[quote name='johnnypark']I've spent some time w/ the japanese version and I must say this game is incredibly addictive and a lot of fun. The special powerups don't usually last all that long, and sometimes they're needed just to get through to a boss stage. The later levels get rather hard.

In fact, it even has branching levels where you can choose a harder path. If this launched at $20 it would be a must buy.[/quote]

Same here, JPN version is awesome. Definite buy at the bargain price!

I saw a few gameplay videos of this on youtube and was wondering if it was as fun as it looked. I'll probably pick this up assuming they release it at a budget price.

Bringing this thread back because more I see this game the more I want it. I am even going to get that nob controller from somewhere. I tried to go pre-order it at GameStop however they said it wasn't in their system, and neither was arkanoid DS. I find this sort of odd because it is on their online site. Anyways support this game because it looks amazing.

[quote name='Vengevar']According to IGN, it will be released domestically on June 17.[/QUOTE]

My DS will be too busy trying to solve the Yggdrasil Labrynth with Etrian Odyssey II during that part of june.

Didnt cheapyd totally endorse this game?

I've played the Japanese version. I highly recommend it if you like Space Invaders... or anything like Lumines.

Not to mention the DS version is better than the PSP copy.

[quote name='yukine']I've played the Japanese version. I highly recommend it if you like Space Invaders... or anything like Lumines.

Not to mention the DS version is better than the PSP copy.[/QUOTE]

picture or it didnt happen

[quote name='ihavenolife123']picture or it didnt happen[/quote]

Eh? What do you mean?

The Japanese version(s) are out at retail.

This game is really fun, way more fun than I expected it to be. Debating getting Arkanoid just for the paddle, but Arkanoid isn't nearly as polished a game as this one is. Definitely recommended, been playing it for a while now.

I know it's only $20 MSRP but I'm wondering if I should wait for a price drop. Also it seems like it was slightly delayed to June 17 according to Amazon.

i have the Paddle controller from the Japanese release of Arkanoid DS. i hope it's compatible with the US version.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Hopefully Nintendo will put up a demo of this game on the Nintendo Channel soon.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a PSP? There's a PSP demo out there somewhere.

[quote name='typeRJ']i have the Paddle controller from the Japanese release of Arkanoid DS. i hope it's compatible with the US version.[/QUOTE]

It should be as its compatible with the Japanese version

Woah.
There's a demo on the Nintendo Channel for Arkanoid DS. :shock:
Maybe next week we WILL see a Space Invaders demo!

[quote name='sixteenvolt420']neither amazon or gamestop are showing a paddle being included with the us version of arkanoid.[/QUOTE]

thats because no one is importing it for the US. And sadly everywhere is pretty much sold out of it (really, check NCSX, playasia or yesasia).

[quote name='lilboo']Do you have a PSP? There's a PSP demo out there somewhere.[/quote]
Nope. I just have to hope Nintendo puts one up.

[quote name='ihavenolife123']i was refering to the DS > PSP part[/quote]

Well the graphics are obviously "better" on the PSP, but it lacks features that the DS version has.

For example, the DS version has online WiFi where as the PSP does not. I kind of prefer the simpler looking graphics on the DS as well, as it's like more 2D on the DS rather than pseudo 3D that the PSP version has.

Also, the DS version supports the rumble pack.

Since it's pretty much in the same genre, I tried that Arkanoid demo on the Nintendo Channel.
I guess I'm not surprised. I really never did care for Arkanoid. It was neat, and stylus control was fun..but it didn't appeal to me as I never liked the game.

Some of you should check it out if your excited for this game. Space Invaders, however, has always been a good time :applause:

[quote name='lilboo']Since it's pretty much in the same genre, I tried that Arkanoid demo on the Nintendo Channel.
I guess I'm not surprised. I really never did care for Arkanoid. It was neat, and stylus control was fun..but it didn't appeal to me as I never liked the game.

Some of you should check it out if your excited for this game. Space Invaders, however, has always been a good time :applause:[/quote]

That's what she he said!

[quote name='lilboo']Since it's pretty much in the same genre, I tried that Arkanoid demo on the Nintendo Channel.

Some of you should check it out if your excited for this game. Space Invaders, however, has always been a good time :applause:[/quote]

I think the originals are definitely comparable, but, in terms of quality, the new versions are miles apart. The release of Arkanoid has some improvements, but overall is somewhat a bare-bones version of the original. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not exactly that exciting either.

One can see that Space Invaders Extreme, on the other hand, has had loads of thought put into it, not just aesthetically, but in terms of keeping the same basic concept and building a whole new system of gameplay around it. I think it's the best shooter on the DS, actually (not that there's loads of shooters, but still...).

This version of Space Invaders reminds me of Pac-Man Championship Edition. Same concept, looks prettier, but has some things different..and those differences work :)

Yeah, I'm gonna give the demo a bit more time here, but I think I'll probably just stick with SI:E rather than getting it and Arkanoid.

Maybe we'll get a SI:E demo next Monday?

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, I'm gonna give the demo a bit more time here, but I think I'll probably just stick with SI:E rather than getting it and Arkanoid.

Maybe we'll get a SI:E demo next Monday?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you have a PSP? Like I told someone else, there's a japanese demo somewhere out there. That's what got me interested in this game in the first place :D

Pffft. PSP. ;) There's not a chance I'm getting this on the PSP, so I think I'll just wait till I can play it on the DS, either through the demo or Amazon getting me my copy. And by ignoring the PSP demo, it gives me something else to complain about. If I didn't have that, my existance on the internet would be in danger!

Wow, I just played Arkanoid with the stylus rather than the dpad. That makes an enormous difference. It's actually playable and pretty fun that way. Now I'm more torn on it...

bread's done
Back