Extreme YMMV: TRU Xbox One Games $0.02

DaddyBoJangles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
Last night during my shift at TRU my manager had a bunch of Xbox One launch games pulled aside to "look into" For whatever reason the vanilla versions of

Ryse

Dead Rising 3

Forza 5

are ringing up for $0.02 in the system. He obviously wouldn't let me buy them, and I'm not sure if its a glitch in our system or if its company wide. Their website still lists these titles for their original or sale price. 

Has anyone tried this with Ryse: Legendary Edition?

I just went through the games I got on Saturday and I had a Legendary Edition in there. Went through all my receipts to make sure I didn't accidentally pay full price for it. They were all $.02. Don't know how that happened.

Has anyone tried this with Ryse: Legendary Edition?

I just went through the games I got on Saturday and I had a Legendary Edition in there. Went through all my receipts to make sure I didn't accidentally pay full price for it. They were all $.02. Don't know how that happened.
What does the receipt say for it?

What does the receipt say for it?
I got 10 copies total. 9 from one store and 1 from another. It mustve been bundled in the 9 and I guess the guy just rang up 9 at .02 after seeing the price or something.

Kinda tempted to go back out, but I think it was just a fluke.

I got 10 copies total. 9 from one store and 1 from another. It mustve been bundled in the 9 and I guess the guy just rang up 9 at .02 after seeing the price or something.

Kinda tempted to go back out, but I think it was just a fluke.
Is there a way to analyze the receipt and see if one of the games has a different barcode or sku or whatever? If they are all exactly the same, you may be correct that the cashier just rang it up wrong.

Is there a way to analyze the receipt and see if one of the games has a different barcode or sku or whatever? If they are all exactly the same, you may be correct that the cashier just rang it up wrong.
I think that's what happened. Because when I got.Dead Rising at one of the toys r us, they were all separate with the SKUs.

The one receipt with Ryse was "Ryse 9 @ $.02". Not 9 separate.

Oh well.

Easy enough to get the UPC code for each version of each game and scan them at one of the self scanners in store.  I figure I'll do it once my order arrives, but if anyone wants to do so and let us know sooner than end of this week/early next week, your report will be much appreciated...

A picture of a receipt and hope you get a manager that is clueless, since I would imagine 99% of managers at another store would refuse a price match before even trying to see if TRU has it in stock as soon as they see $0.02. Even if they called TRU, the shelf tag doesn't say $0.02 so TRU over the phone wouldn't even say it is $0.02 unless it was scanned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got 2 copies of Dead Rising today. They only let me get 2. Sent my wife back in to grab a couple more and they shot her down and removed the rest. They had a ton more too. Guess I got greedy. Oh well.

There are a few other possibilities regarding the games being "destroyed". They may actually not be destroyed but sent back to the manufacturer where they may recycle some of that...precious material to generate and package other games. We call that "reverse logistics" in supply chain management.

Considering the US' tax laws, I wouldn't be surprised to find a tax credit for a certain amount of recycling an organization does...or maybe marking a loss on financial statements. If I knew tax law I wouldn't even be on this message board that's for sure.

Sorry for geekin' out there. I'm trying to use my college education for something.

Oh, and I think I'm going to stick to Sears...
Actually, a lot of these types of games wind up going to children's charities and other things like that. I got hired a few years back to shoot pictures of the DMC's children's hospital in Michigan and while we were there, a pretty big shipment came in from the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. There were like 15 Xbox 360's, craploads of games, controllers, headphones, etc.

Its pretty much common sense why they do this with games when a newer version comes out, as opposed to just selling them really cheap to gamers.....MONEY! If they sell a bunch of copies of Forza 5 for dirt cheap, that will just be that many less copies they wind up selling at retail prices. And while it may be true that some people might purchase them at really cheap prices that wouldn't have purchased them otherwise, that won't be the case with 100% of the copies. In the end, such business practices would result in a loss of income. Its better for the company to just recycle them or give them away to charities.

Went to a TRU that was on the way home today. Didn't expect much, but found 2 copies of DR3 and 2 copies of Ryse. Cashier was baffled they were 2 cents, but was like, that's how it rings up I don't care.

They also had a b1g1 30% off. 7 cents for all 4 games.

Will make good flips, and I'll gift one of the DR3s

When I worked for TRU, there were so many things that were tossed into the compactor, the worst being the OG Xbox display (TV, console and big metal display stand). I practically begged them to let me take it, but no, it was destroyed.
That's disgusting sp00ge. Thanks for mentioning that. So bloody wasteful

Went to a TRU that was on the way home today. Didn't expect much, but found 2 copies if DR3 and 2 copies of Ryse. Cashier was baffled they were 2 cents, but was like, that's how it rings up I don't care.

They also had a b1g1 30% off. 7 cents for all 4 games.

Will make good flips, and I'll gift one of the DR3s
What versions are they the day one editions ???

What versions are they the day one editions ???
Lol no, they are the vanilla editions like everyone else is getting.

They did have a couple day one XBL codes though. I found that kind of odd as I haven't seen one of those for awhile. Something I might go back and grab for the Shadow Jago codes - could probably get a couple years of XBL for free

If this is still a thing may have to run by today.  Kept meaning to do it and despite being in TRU about 4 times since this topic popped up I ALWAYS FORGET to look...

I have my suspicions this is one of those deals where I drive across 2 towns, find nothing, and drive home defeated...

After driving 100 miles round trip over the summer for a deal and coming home with nothing to show, think I'll pass. Hopefully somebody in my area can replicate though.

I got 2 copies of Dead Rising today. They only let me get 2. Sent my wife back in to grab a couple more and they shot her down and removed the rest. They had a ton more too. Guess I got greedy. Oh well.
lmao your wife must not be that confident in herself if she's with someone who scavenges toy stores for 2 cent games

Didn't see any at torrance toys r us, just the new goty editions and some dickwad trying to bribe an employee to let him get some rare amiibos before they put it out on the floor.

lmao your wife must not be that confident in herself if she's with someone who scavenges toy stores for 2 cent games
Dang man, don't go insulting people and their loved ones. Christmas passes by, everyone wishes happy holidays to each other, then it goes back to fighting, both verbal and nonverbal, online and offline sadly..

Or maybe you just don't understand the joy that comes with finding someone who shares the same passions in life.

My wife loves that I'm always on the hunt for good deals, so much so that she has followed suit. She has the same drive, passion for great deals, good investments and same ideas of fun as I do. It's amazing. You should try it.

Ouch you got a tough store then. First place was surprised by the price but shrugged off as a leftover from the Summer Clearance sale, second one was wowed and told me too stay quiet about the price, third one didn't care.

Anyway, I checked Bell Gardens TRU today and found a lone Forza Motorsport 5 on the shelf, bought it right away. Dude helping me get it wondered why I didn't get the GOTYE version instead, I told him the cover was ugly like the Batman Arkham City cover. The lines in store were annoyingly long but worth it.
My Hero!

And.. Rejected on forza and ryse
Look for the high school student who doubles as an employee and seems not to give a shit about their job.

I politely asked the guy as he took the video games out the glass case if he would take the games to register 4 in the front for me to purchase in a moment. Also TRU is having a weird sale on legos...for 10 cents i don't have any info on this just overheard.

Went to Toysrus and they had a copy of Forza 5.  The guy was surprised it rang up as $0.02.  He said he had to call a manager to check if he can sell it.  Naturally the manager said no.  Not only did she say no but she offered to sell it to me as a Miscellaneous item for $50.  How considerate of her.

Went to Toysrus and they had a copy of Forza 5. The guy was surprised it rang up as $0.02. He said he had to call a manager to check if he can sell it. Naturally the manager said no. Not only did she say no but she offered to sell it to me as a Miscellaneous item for $50. How considerate of her.
Aww she sounds so nice

Damn, my order arrived today.  Now, before I get called out as an el Hoardo, I wasn't sure if any of the copies they'd send out would be the vanilla ones, so I figured I'd increase my odds and (ahem)...ordered the 5 max of each game allowed.  All of them came vanilla.  Now to plan out where and how to perform the return/rebuy...

F7C418DD-C707-4F25-B208-052CD0952B0E_zpssnvm8mfv.jpg

If I can get them adjusted to $.02 each, not quite as sweet as the penny games I scored a couple years back when amazon went crazy a couple of times, but not too bad.

Damn, my order arrived today. Now, before I get called out as an el Hoardo, I wasn't sure if any of the copies they'd send out would be the vanilla ones, so I figured I'd increase my odds and (ahem)...ordered the 5 max of each game allowed. All of them came vanilla. Now to plan out where and how to perform the return/rebuy...

If I can get them adjusted to $.02 each, not quite as sweet as the penny games I scored a couple years back when amazon went crazy a couple of times, but not too bad.
That sounds like a big 'if' ... assuming when you return it that it may never make it back out onto the floor if the system flags it as a .02 item.

Knowing TRU, they won't simply drop the price to .02 and let you walk ... but more power to you if you can find a way to pull it off

Damn, my order arrived today. Now, before I get called out as an el Hoardo, I wasn't sure if any of the copies they'd send out would be the vanilla ones, so I figured I'd increase my odds and (ahem)...ordered the 5 max of each game allowed. All of them came vanilla. Now to plan out where and how to perform the return/rebuy...

F7C418DD-C707-4F25-B208-052CD0952B0E_zpssnvm8mfv.jpg

Lol the resell is strong with this one :whistle2:

bread's done
Back