F.E.A.R (360) Discussion - Demo on XBL now

[quote name='psychobrawler']Lost Planet. Far exceeded any expectation I had in both graphics and gameplay...[/quote]

I was thinking about adding Lost Planet to that list, but I haven't played it enough to be able to judge it.

[quote name='nickmad']Its a direct port, no improvments.[/QUOTE]

I believe I read somewhere of an added "Instant Action" mode, as well new levels .

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I believe I read somewhere of an added "Instant Action" mode, as well new levels .[/quote]

it was in the oxm article.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Honestly I thought condemned had the best single player of any fps I've played on Xbox/Xbox 360[/quote]

Condemend was a great game, problem was I was always a little too scared to play it!

[quote name='mvp828']I was thinking about adding Lost Planet to that list, but I haven't played it enough to be able to judge it.[/QUOTE]

play it for a few minutes, it's probably the best looking thing on the 360 right now.
also one of the most fun. I've gone through the demo many many times and still love it.

[quote name='Apossum']play it for a few minutes, it's probably the best looking thing on the 360 right now.
also one of the most fun. I've gone through the demo many many times and still love it.[/quote]

Oh I know I played it a loved it, I just hadn't played it enough. I agree that it is one of the best looking, and also one of the most fun games.

If my reaction to Condemned is any indication of how I'll take in FEAR, then I guess I won't be picking the latter up. Scared shitless. Damn creepy sounds. I can just imagine that freaky girl popping up out of nowhere.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']If my reaction to Condemned is any indication of how I'll take in FEAR, then I guess I won't be picking the latter up. Scared shitless. Damn creepy sounds. I can just imagine that freaky girl popping up out of nowhere.[/QUOTE]

FEAR's nowhere near as scary as Condemned was. The scariness only pops up occasionally sorta like it did in the original Half Life.

I just played through the demo.
It seemed pretty good, but didn't blow me away.
It's level of quality reminded me of Prey, but I do admit I really enjoy a good "matrix move/slo mo" feature.

I'm wondering what the multiplayer modes will be like, since I'm pretty sure slo mo will be a no go online.

[quote name='CheapyD']
It's level of quality reminded me of Prey, but I do admit I really enjoy a good "matrix move/slo mo" feature.
[/QUOTE]

The full game blows Prey away... Prey isn't even in the same league as FEAR, not even close. That is, if FEAR for the 360 is anything like the PC one.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']with CounterStrike going BC (and a future CS on the way), and having BFMC2, a (fixed) FarCry, Prey, and Call of Duty 2, there's no room for F.E.A.R. on my shelf..unless it turns out to be like the greatest game of all-time (but right now I'm not seeing it)[/quote]
I'm sorry, but even a supposedly "fixed" Far Cry and Prey can't hold a candle to F.E.A.R.

Looks like FEAR is either getting get pushed up, or delayed, since it's current release date is Emergence Day. No chance in hell MS has 2 big time FPS on the shelves on the same day.

I don't know what crack you MOFOs are smoking but this game blows, The levels look like a midlife xbox game, the character models are blocky, the gameplay is decent, but not the caliber that can save this game. What is this using a half a core of the 360? I'll buy it when it's $20.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Every X360 owner should DL this DEMO and buy it a launch.[/QUOTE]

Still one of my favorite PC games, and a whole lot of atmosphere. I havent played the demo yet, but I know on the PC version a big selling point was the enemy AI. These guys flank you and work in groups, they don't just run at you with guns blazing. If they kept that in the 360 version, I cant wait to play this on my 50in widescreen instead of my 17in PC monitor.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Looks like FEAR is either getting get pushed up, or delayed, since it's current release date is Emergence Day. No chance in hell MS has 2 big time FPS on the shelves on the same day.[/QUOTE]

How about a 3rd one? CoD3 has the same release as those games. I'm surprised they haven't changed any yet too.

Guy I know here at school had the demo and I got to play it. The best word I can use is overhyped (waaaay overhyped at that). I don't care about how good it is on the computer, if this is the final build and the complete look of the game for the 360, then I can definitely pass on this. Sure the gameplay was alright, but it was nothing to make you sit down and say "now THIS is the epitome of gaming!" like all the hype insinuates. The controls and even the response were just off, and the graphics/framerate are ass. Referring to the "amazing AI," it's nothing to rave about. It almost seems as a gimmick to get someone to buy the game (i.e. spirit-walking and gravity effects for Prey). Granted, these aren't final impressions because, of course, I haven't played the full game..but this could've (and from what everyone hears about the PC version, SHOULD'VE) been much better.
[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I'm sorry, but even a supposedly "fixed" Far Cry and Prey can't hold a candle to F.E.A.R.[/quote]It'd be nice if that were true. Hell, even Riddick for the Xbox is better than the 360 version of F.E.A.R.

[quote name='jalu6']Still one of my favorite PC games, and a whole lot of atmosphere. I havent played the demo yet, but I know on the PC version a big selling point was the enemy AI. These guys flank you and work in groups, they don't just run at you with guns blazing. If they kept that in the 360 version, I cant wait to play this on my 50in widescreen instead of my 17in PC monitor.[/quote]

In the demo they still do this. I had a dude fucking hurdle this half wall thing, while his friend pushed over a cabinet and ducked behind it and they lit my ass up. Then, I went back and they lit me up again, this time they just flipped a table and one of them came from behind and shot me to death. fuck this game is crazy. Can't wait.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']
It'd be nice if that were true. Hell, even Riddick for the Xbox is better than the 360 version of F.E.A.R.[/QUOTE]

Riddick is pretty much better than any first person game though, so it doesn't count ;) is that game BC yet?

The demo was fun. The graphics weren't that great, and the controls weren't very tight (I'm spoiled from playing Halo so much). But the AI was good, all the firefights I had were fun and the scary shit was good too.

[quote name='Apossum']Riddick is pretty much better than any first person game though, so it doesn't count ;) [/quote]word.
[quote name='Apossum']is that game BC yet?[/quote]sadly, no (at least not yet)

I played this earlier. The gameplay felt kinda generic, but I do like how you can hold health packs, and the various creepy things. I wont pay full price for FEAR, but I'll pick it up at some point.

something is weird about the controls...I didn't notice it on the OXM demo, but I had a bitch of a time aiming.

I like the feel of the weapons though. Along with the force feedback, it feels "right"

I'm really wondering what that little girl and all those hallucinations are about.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Guy I know here at school had the demo and I got to play it. The best word I can use is overhyped (waaaay overhyped at that). I don't care about how good it is on the computer, if this is the final build and the complete look of the game for the 360, then I can definitely pass on this. Sure the gameplay was alright, but it was nothing to make you sit down and say "now THIS is the epitome of gaming!" like all the hype insinuates. The controls and even the response were just off, and the graphics/framerate are ass. Referring to the "amazing AI," it's nothing to rave about..[/quote]

FINALLY!!!!!! Thank you.

[quote name='zewone']The demo was fun. The graphics weren't that great, and the controls weren't very tight (I'm spoiled from playing Halo so much). But the AI was good, all the firefights I had were fun and the scary shit was good too.[/QUOTE]

It was scary?? =/ *re-thinks download*

[quote name='A Happy Panda']It was scary?? =/ *re-thinks download*[/QUOTE]
No, I wasn't scared (because I'm a grown ass man), but I can see how some would/could be.

[quote name='Apossum']
I'm really wondering what that little girl and all those hallucinations are about.[/QUOTE]

Having played the PC version, I can say for a fact that....

Okay, I have little to no idea either. The expansion pack is supposed to flesh out some more details so hopefully a little more will be explained (though the regular game did do a good job of explaining the basic stuff behind the weird shit.)

October 24th is the only FEAR-related date that matters to me.

[quote name='Chacrana']Having played the PC version, I can say for a fact that....

Okay, I have little to no idea either. The expansion pack is supposed to flesh out some more details so hopefully a little more will be explained (though the regular game did do a good job of explaining the basic stuff behind the weird shit.)

October 24th is the only FEAR-related date that matters to me.[/QUOTE]

damn, that sucks ass. I was hoping for a cool story like Condemned. though from what I hear, that game isn't exactly fully explained either.

[quote name='Apossum']damn, that sucks ass. I was hoping for a cool story like Condemned. though from what I hear, that game isn't exactly fully explained either.[/QUOTE]

I liked the story. It was not unique, but it did enough to keep me interested. The combat is really the best reason to play FEAR along with the AI.

Also I got to agree. What a crappy port job. This game looks so much better on the PC that Day 1 studios should be ashamed. If you can get past the graphics, FEAR does have some of the best gameplay of any shooter. The demo is a collection of the first few parts of the game, and the firefights do not compare to the ones in the actual game.

Well shit, I don't know if I want or can even play the demo now. Does that damn girl show up in it? Damn bitch scares the hell out of me.

[quote name='Apossum']damn, that sucks ass. I was hoping for a cool story like Condemned. though from what I hear, that game isn't exactly fully explained either.[/QUOTE]

Well, there are definitely some concrete details -- a lot does get explained... but there are also some loose ends at the end of the game... it is a pretty cool story though.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Well shit, I don't know if I want or can even play the demo now. Does that damn girl show up in it? Damn bitch scares the hell out of me.[/QUOTE]

She moans once or twice, and shows up at one point where you walk down a hall full of blood.

The game is 99% better on a computer.. Budget pickup for me.

[quote name='getmyrunon']She moans once or twice, and shows up at one point where you walk down a hall full of blood.

The game is 99% better on a computer.. Budget pickup for me.[/quote]

No, she's in the game more than that. I saw her at least 5 times. And heard her plenty of other times

I was let down by the demo. My PC runs the game nearly as well as the 360. the only difference was the lighting for the 360. Overall my PC version personally looked better. I also have better particle effects on the PC, but the 360 handled lots of enemies and explosions nicely, my PC on the other hand, does not fare so well. Nothing a little tweakin with the graphics can't fix. I'll pick this up after a while when it hits 24.99 to 19.99

Compared to the PC version the 360 sucks. I was hoping for as good or better then the PC version but IMHO this has to be the worst FPS for the 360. Controls are loose, Graphics are bad, but lighting is good.

[quote name='getmyrunon']She moans once or twice, and shows up at one point where you walk down a hall full of blood.

The game is 99% better on a computer.. Budget pickup for me.[/QUOTE]

Finally played the demo last night, and the part where she shows up when you're climing down the ladder freaked the hell out of my girlfriend (who was sitting next to me on the couch). This will at least be a rental for scare value.

At least in the demo, the girl shows up very suddenly, as you are turning around you catch her in the corner of your eye. Also, if you look on the security cams, you can see her flash in the picture.

The one thing I can say I didnt like (about the PC version at least, but I'm sure its the same) is that the pacing does get a bit predictable. You go back and forth from spooky part to shooting part. You kill a bunch of dudes, walk down a hall and weird stuff happens for 5 mins, then all of a sudden you hear the enemies radios and you are shooting through a few areas. Then its back to spooky stuff. It's just one extreme to the other.

I was always sorry I missed this game when it first came out because I didn't have a high end computer and couldn't run it. After downloading the demo though, it disappointed me. It wasn't as good as everyone says it is. I won't be picking this one up.

I have mixed feelings on FEAR's graphics. I was impressed by the bullet holes and enemy character models, however, everything else seemed only decent. Your characters' arms seem out of place and all of the levels' pieces seemed glued down. What I mean by this is that the dumpsters and trashbags (shelves, desks, etc.) look like they were layed down by the developers without much thought.

After playing the demo for the first time today, I gotta say I wasn't impressed. It felt like another FPS to me. With so many other high profile games coming out around the same time it's hard to justify spending $60 on this.

Ok, I'll admit it I'm a pussy. Just the thought of that damn girl creeps me out. So I get 5 seconds into the demo level, see the damn ladders and shut it off. I just know that damn girl is gonna pop up when I get down there.

And of course, in an amusing turn, I head out not a few minutes later, hear rustling in the bushes and a black cat dashes across right in front of me in a blur. The minions of evil are after me.

why does my download alawys stip and freeze my system.. i cant seem to download this demo. at around 65% my whole system freezes. ive tried various things but nothing

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Ok, I'll admit it I'm a pussy. Just the thought of that damn girl creeps me out. So I get 5 seconds into the demo level, see the damn ladders and shut it off. I just know that damn girl is gonna pop up when I get down there.[/quote]

It's a good thing you didn't keep playing because there's a part later where your going down a ladder and all of a sudden the girl just appears no less then two feet in front of you. I almost shit myself when that happened.

To be comepletely and totally honest, I didn't like the game. I didn't like it at all. I'm really dissapointed. I've been hearing people rant and rave about how awesome the combat is for a really long time now. But I really didn't think it was that great.

bread's done
Back