F in AP Chem=cancelled Cal State admission?

crazytalkx

CAGiversary!
This is a reallllly important question that I'd love to have answered. I have an F in AP Chemistry (I'm in my senior year of high school) and was admitted into Cal State Fullerton back in January. Would this affect my admission status? I have straight As otherwise (AP English literature, Government Honors, Symphonic band, Photo II, teacher assistant) which adds up to a 3.33 GPA for this semester so far. I've had 3 years of science otherwise (biology, chemistry, physics) but I just want to make sure this won't affect me :bomb:

It might affect you. I have a friend who was later rejected from a college that had admitted him after he flunked two classes his last semester of senior year. However, since the class you flunk was a fairly hard class, you probably have to call your admissions counselor to ask.

A lot of universities will change their mind if you do really poorly your second semester of senior year. Most students tend to slack off by that time because they already know what college they're going to and the college will see you as "lazy" if you start flunking classes then. On the other hand, unless the drop in your grades is drastic, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I don't think it's an issue unless chemistry is a required course, a reason you were admitted, or related to your major.

Though you didn't get credit for the course. If you fail a course for the year don't you have to take it in summer school if it was a core course? I dunno for certain though.

Hehe, CSF... anyways in answer to your question.

Nobody here could answer it definitively. Just speak with a counselor (as everyone has suggested) or read over the admission policies. I know some UC's are really anal about an F 2nd sem and will cut you w/o even giving you a chance to argue it. I doubt they'd throw out your app over the failure, they could put you on probation status though once you enter or not even care.

Sum it up: Speak with counselor or read their policies (they usually state what happens if such and such happens).

[quote name='Magehart']Hehe, CSF... anyways in answer to your question.

Nobody here could answer it definitively. Just speak with a counselor (as everyone has suggested) or read over the admission policies. I know some UC's are really anal about an F 2nd sem and will cut you w/o even giving you a chance to argue it. I doubt they'd throw out your app over the failure, they could put you on probation status though once you enter or not even care.

Sum it up: Speak with counselor or read their policies (they usually state what happens if such and such happens).[/QUOTE]

Ok, well I just looked over my admission notice again and it says two things about my admission other than being accepted. "Admission final upon high school graduation" and "Must maintain an appropriate GPA". I'm still going to make sure with my counselor though. Just lucky that my other grades are great, although the counselor refused to let me drop AP Chem. for the second semester.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Why don't you go to your teacher and politely ask them to change it to a D? It's worth a shot, assuming the grade isn't finalized.[/QUOTE]

Doubt he'll do that, I have a 20% and theres 8 other Fs in the class. The problem from the start was that he basically acted as if we had remembered all the chemistry stuff we learned previously, never going over old material, just constantly trying to bash information, and having the class heavily weighed towards test scores was salt in the wounds.

ah..AP Chem..i just finished that last semester (i'm a junior though)...it was really crappy..i managed to get a B though (barely hanging on though b/c i got a 70 on the final exam), heheh...

i hope getting a 70 on the final exam doesnt affect much :(

[quote name='swetooth9']ah..AP Chem..i just finished that last semester (i'm a junior though)...it was really crappy..i managed to get a B though (barely hanging on though b/c i got a 70 on the final exam), heheh...

i hope getting a 70 on the final exam doesnt affect much :([/QUOTE]

Showoff :lol: . I think I would've done a lot better if I had taken it junior year since I took chemistry sophmore year. The one year gap of physics between chem and ap chem kinda screwed me up.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Showoff :lol: . I think I would've done a lot better if I had taken it junior year since I took chemistry sophmore year. The one year gap of physics between chem and ap chem kinda screwed me up.[/quote]

yea, the gap sucks...i had honors chem in fall semester in my soph year, but some other students in my AP class had honors chem in their spring semester, so they had an advantage :/

[quote name='crazytalkx']Doubt he'll do that, I have a 20% and theres 8 other Fs in the class. The problem from the start was that he basically acted as if we had remembered all the chemistry stuff we learned previously, never going over old material, just constantly trying to bash information, and having the class heavily weighed towards test scores was salt in the wounds.[/quote]

Depending on the class size - 9 F's can be a pretty bad reflection on the teacher. He might agree to the D - worth a shot i guess.

[quote name='Pookymeister1234']Depending on the class size - 9 F's can be a pretty bad reflection on the teacher. He might agree to the D - worth a shot i guess.[/QUOTE]

31 students in the class. I"ll try for the D but in about two weeks, I'm going to have to brown nose sooo much. Only other worry college-wise is getting housing, ahh damn this infernal wait.

[quote name='crazytalkx']31 students in the class. I"ll try for the D but in about two weeks, I'm going to have to brown nose sooo much.[/quote]

Yea, 30% failure rate doesn't look good.

If it makes you feel any better, when I took AP chem, it was the teacher's first time teaching and he ended up being absent for the entire first semester. We basically had a bunch of subs who followed his directions that we read from the book and learned on our own. By the time the second semester rolled around, he had a few months to teach us a whole years' worth of stuff. The highest grade n the class was a 47% :rofl:

[quote name='vietgurl']If it makes you feel any better, when I took AP chem, it was the teacher's first time teaching and he ended up being absent for the entire first semester. We basically had a bunch of subs who followed his directions that we read from the book and learned on our own. By the time the second semester rolled around, he had a few months to teach us a whole years' worth of stuff. The highest grade n the class was a 47% :rofl:[/QUOTE]

:lol: wowwwwwwwww, THAT is depressing.

The only AP class I took was calculus. IT sucked a lot, it was the only class throughout junior or senior high where I got anything less than a B. I think it was two 2 Cs and a D (my school had trimesters). My friend and I just stopped caring and started openly calling our teacher "slapnuts."

AP classes are cool if you pass them.
From all the AP classes i took - I started college with 30 credits. Technically, I was never a freshman.

Was this a straight percentage scale, as in all with 90% and above get an A, all with 80-90% get a B, etc? Or was this graded on a curve? If it was a straight scale and no one got an A, it would definitely be worth it to talk with the teacher. I wouldn't just ask for a grade change, I'd offer to do extra credit of some type.

As everyone says, talk with a counselor at the university. You can also offer to take a chem class either online or at a community college over the summer if need be.

[quote name='browneyedgal68']Was this a straight percentage scale, as in all with 90% and above get an A, all with 80-90% get a B, etc? Or was this graded on a curve? If it was a straight scale and no one got an A, it would definitely be worth it to talk with the teacher. I wouldn't just ask for a grade change, I'd offer to do extra credit of some type.

As everyone says, talk with a counselor at the university. You can also offer to take a chem class either online or at a community college over the summer if need be.[/QUOTE]

Its a straight percentage scale. 2 As in the class. I already took the normal chem class, got a C first semester and a B second semester in it so I think I can make it up freshman year.

Update: Found out it isn't a problem as I already had 3 years of science and this was just an elective. Also ended up getting a 3.67 GPA, straight As and this one F, woot.

[quote name='javeryh']How do you get straight As and an F? Couldn't you 1/2 ass something during the semester and squeeze out a D?[/QUOTE]

Doubt it, tests were a big chunk of the grade, and needless to say I didn't exactly get the material, oy. Well at least 10 others went down with me.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Update: Found out it isn't a problem as I already had 3 years of science and this was just an elective. Also ended up getting a 3.67 GPA, straight As and this one F, woot.[/QUOTE]

Congrats!

Um, AP level chem is WAY below a 111 level college chem class (entry level).

I how you aren't going for a science related major or you are kind of screwed.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Um, AP level chem is WAY below a 111 level college chem class (entry level).

I how you aren't going for a science related major or you are kind of screwed.[/QUOTE]

And no again. As I took both, I should know. 111 Chem was easy compared to AP. Hell, I took it online.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Doubt it, tests were a big chunk of the grade, and needless to say I didn't exactly get the material, oy. Well at least 10 others went down with me.[/quote]

Good freaking Motto! If at first you don't succeed... take as many people as you can with you!

:hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot::hot: + 1 laughing teacher :rofl:
:imwithst:

Grats though on CSF. Everybody and their best friend (because they have to travel in pairs) goes to CSF. Lots of incredibly hot girls their though! But wayyy to make smokers for my tastes.

It might affect you. Usually in your acceptance letter (which you get mid-way through your senior year), they place a disclaimer saying something to the extent of: We'll gladly accept you into our University, as long as you keep up your grades throughout the rest of your senior year and not slack of.

When students get accepted to the college they want to go to, they slack off towards the end of the year because it might seem like smooth sailing. A friend of mine got into UC Berkeley, then slacked off, and then got a message in the mail saying that he did not live up to his part of the agreement (which was pass all his classes). As a result, his acceptance was revoked.

Not trying to scare you or anything, but that's a harsh reality. But you never know, anything can happen, but good luck.

My admission letter said "Admission finalized upon verification of high school graduation" and to "Maintain an appropriate GPA".

Only thing I'm really worried about now is getting a dorm, gah.

Congrats on getting in. I took AP chem this year and it was my teachers first year teaching. He fucken sucked, but I got out with a B and C.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Um, AP level chem is WAY below a 111 level college chem class (entry level).

I how you aren't going for a science related major or you are kind of screwed.[/quote]

8 ppl in the class failed - and I have to assume that the types who take AP Chem aren't your average pot smoking dummies. I'm thinking maybe the teacher sucked.

In college I had a finite autonama teacher who was awful, everyone but this one genius guy got a C or below, and the class ended up having a wicked curve at the end. I was failing, and ended up with a B :D

I how you aren't going for a science related major or you are kind of screwed.[/QUOTE]
Entry level chem in college is easy compared to AP Chem. AP chem covered two quarters and then some of my chem classes here. Made it easy to get an A.

Now if you're talking about upper division chemistry, you have a point.

[quote name='Ma12kez']It might affect you. Usually in your acceptance letter (which you get mid-way through your senior year), they place a disclaimer saying something to the extent of: We'll gladly accept you into our University, as long as you keep up your grades throughout the rest of your senior year and not slack of.

When students get accepted to the college they want to go to, they slack off towards the end of the year because it might seem like smooth sailing. A friend of mine got into UC Berkeley, then slacked off, and then got a message in the mail saying that he did not live up to his part of the agreement (which was pass all his classes). As a result, his acceptance was revoked.

Not trying to scare you or anything, but that's a harsh reality. But you never know, anything can happen, but good luck.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but that's like UC I don't give a damn about my undergrads and I'm going to make everyone's life a living hell for 4 years.

[quote name='beerguy961']Entry level chem in college is easy compared to AP Chem. AP chem covered two quarters and then some of my chem classes here. Made it easy to get an A.

Now if you're talking about upper division chemistry, you have a point.[/quote]

O-Chem baby! :hot:

Sadness, got a letter in the mail saying that all dorms are now taken in Cal State Fullerton. 25 mile commute, weeeee.

Nobody ended up getting an F in the class. I got a D (with a 19%), Cal State Fullerton has my transcripts and I start college on August 21, weeeee!

Congrats. Close call I'm sure, but they will probably want you to take it over. Hell, you might want to take it over since you got a D.

[quote name='Eviltude']Congrats. Close call I'm sure, but they will probably want you to take it over. Hell, you might want to take it over since you got a D.[/QUOTE]

Don't take Chem at CSUF. Bio is way easier.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Nobody ended up getting an F in the class. I got a D (with a 19%), Cal State Fullerton has my transcripts and I start college on August 21, weeeee![/QUOTE]

You win! Just make sure to take the entry-level chem in college if you're going to take chem at all, and you'll be fine.

bread's done
Back