F.Y.E. Whole Store Sale, possibly YMMV? 15% & 20% off new games

shiningslade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
I happened to wander into my local FYE & everything in the whole store was on sale. 15% off New DS, PSP games. 20% off New PS2 games. 15% off all strategy guides. I did not catch the % off on PS3, 360, or Wii but they are on sale as well. Also 50% off Xbox, GBA, Gamecube new or used. Worth checking out maybe for everyone. I discovered this sale on Wednesday 2/17. Forgot to post it until now, sorry. I've no idea how long it's running for, oh & it also stacks with the Backstage Pass card :)

You sure that it wasn't a closing sale?

Also, some stores are still getting rid of all their new games. Some stores have already done away with them.

Local store seems to be running this Sale as well. However, even at 25% I struggled finding anything to buy. Their prices are just ridiculously high for games.
Also, I did not find a single first party accessory at the store (no controllers of any sort except for third party stuff).
The only thing I ended up buying was Pikmin for the Wii 'cause they have it down to $14.99, and after the 25% off, it wasn't a bad price at all.

25% off all new games for all systems + accessories here in West Pa. Not much of a selection (hardly any newer releases), but picked upper Mirror's Edge for $10 and change for the 360...Ill take it. Tempted by the 12 Month Live kit w/Messenger kit for $50 tho....

[quote name='Oswald9599']This is a closing store sale so it is very YMMV[/QUOTE]
Actually, my local store is not closing. Matter of fact they just received games from other FYE's that are closing. I asked one of the workers there if they received new game stock & that's what he told me. There was not 1 single sign that said store closing sale. Just whole store clearance sale, my FYE is probably 1 of the biggest if not the biggest in the chain, I doubt it will be closing anytime soon.

Also, you should probably call your local store before you go just to see if they still have any games. A lot of FYE's do not sell games anymore which is why I put YMMV in the title in the first place.

This has been posted many times before. I work at a Sam Goody store (F.Y.E., Suncoast, Transworld, etc.) and we put our new games on sale around the end of October, IIRC. Of course, as time went by, the prices dropped more and more, from 25-50% to 50-75%. And no, my store is NOT closing. From my understanding, corporate is trying to get only the top-performing stores to carry new games. The rest of the stores are putting their new games on sale for now, and whenever corporate gives them the okay, they're going to ship them back to corporate to send to other stores. So basically...

YMMV? Yes. Stores closing? No. Just call in advance.

Be aware that certain FYE's open there games and leave the empty case on the self. Then add the game and instructions when you bring case to register. Gamestop anyone?

Examples.

Bayside, Queens (NY)...All titles new and old gutted.

Glen Clove, Long Island (NY)...newest titles behind counter sealed. All others gutted.

New Hyde Park, Long Island (NY)....varies, if the last one it is gutted. Plenty still sealed behind the counter.

Down to a handful of stores left in the NY metro / Long Island area. So many have closed the past two to three years.

[quote name='Euripides']Be aware that certain FYE's open there games and leave the empty case on the self. Then add the game and instructions when you bring case to register. Gamestop anyone?[/QUOTE]
Except the reason people care about Gamestop's copies being opened is that employees can take the games home and play them. F.Y.E. allows no such thing. If it bothers you that much, most stores keep the sealed copies behind the counter for duplicates, so just ask if they have multiple copies of something. If they do, you'll be able to buy a sealed copy of whatever they have multiples of.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Except the reason people care about Gamestop's copies being opened is that employees can take the games home and play them. F.Y.E. allows no such thing. If it bothers you that much, most stores keep the sealed copies behind the counter for duplicates, so just ask if they have multiple copies of something. If they do, you'll be able to buy a sealed copy of whatever they have multiples of.[/QUOTE]

Not all stores....look at the Bayside store I listed. All copies are opened. They had seven Mass Effect 2's opened, five Bioshock 2 etc.... Not good if you are buying for a gift.

Upside is I guess I could buy it, keep it in pristine condition for the few days I play it. Finish it and return it for another new title. After all they opened it, not me. ;)

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Except the reason people care about Gamestop's copies being opened is that employees can take the games home and play them. F.Y.E. allows no such thing. If it bothers you that much, most stores keep the sealed copies behind the counter for duplicates, so just ask if they have multiple copies of something. If they do, you'll be able to buy a sealed copy of whatever they have multiples of.[/QUOTE]

The one i go to in Port Chester, NY only does this on the display copy, which usually they ask you first. So if they get 10 copies they have a bunch of sealed ones then the display one is in a white paper sleeve with the instructions taped on them. I have got two of these paper sleeve ones before. The first i got was bully and it was in new condition. The second i got was Call of Juarez BIB which was a xmas gift and i didnt open it till recently. I opened it up and it was the white paper thing but the disc was fingerprinted and scratched to hell, Ubisoft refused to do anything even though it was in the 90 day warranty so luckily the Fye was nice enough to refund me and i was able to get it on amazon.com

may have to check mine out, FYE's are one of the only places that occasionally get in buckethead, king crimson, and yes cds in KY. Thanks op.

Mine is 20% all new games and accessories too, so I can stock up on point cards for XBLA, PSN, and Wii.

It is NOT a store closing sale, either

And another thing to note, they allowed me to stack this sale discount with my FYE membership discount (bonus 10% off).

Checked out the FYE at Polaris Mall in Columbus, OH. They didn't seem to have any games period. I guess they liquidated everything. But then again I rarely go in there so it could have happened a year ago.

Of course I live near a military base and these sales with FYE (or Best Buy when they ditched anime) don't seem to impact my stores. [grumble]

In Va we have had 6 total store closings. I was able to get Dragon age for $18, Forza 3 for $18, AC2 for $24, and a bunch of just guts of games with the disk and book but no box for a dollar a piece including Eternal sonata, Cross edge, zelda Twilight princess, pikmin, and motor storm.

[quote name='Oswald9599']In Va we have had 6 total store closings. I was able to get Dragon age for $18, Forza 3 for $18, AC2 for $24, and a bunch of just guts of games with the disk and book but no box for a dollar a piece including Eternal sonata, Cross edge, zelda Twilight princess, pikmin, and motor storm.[/QUOTE]

Where are you at, man? I live in Baltimore for school, but I'm from the Manassas/Fairfax area.

Or, more specifically, what stores are we talking about?

There was a flyer in the paper that said "Up to 50 percent off everything in the store" at my local one, but didn't say anything about closing.

Its either 25 for a year saving 10% off all items except for ipods and systems. Or its a monthly fee of $11.99 a month for a various store other than fye VIP card which is not worth it.

In regards to the sales in the stores. I was in my local store yesterday in Elmira, NY, and they had all wii, ps3, and 360 games 25% off and they were mostly picked clean. Most stuff was up to 59.99 so meh. The good deals came on older PS2 games at 50% off. I saw Rogue Galaxy maked 19.99 and Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria marked 29.99. My surprise came when I rang out and was told they were only 5.00 each. Great deals in the least picked place.

If you've got any doubts about the prices, I'd suggest you just price check them. A lot of the stickers we've been sent recently don't seem to like to stick to the game cases, and seem to fall off very easily. That, and sometimes items don't end up being sales priced. >_>; At my store, the DS games went a whole week without being sales priced, and the Beatles Rock Band bundles took a few weeks to be sales stickered.

[quote name='boylover']Mine is 20% all new games and accessories too, so I can stock up on point cards for XBLA, PSN, and Wii.

It is NOT a store closing sale, either

And another thing to note, they allowed me to stack this sale discount with my FYE membership discount (bonus 10% off).[/QUOTE]

My local store did not apply the discounts to point cards, saying they were considered gift cards and not game accessories.

And it's not a store closing sale, the associate told me it was just a one-week special promotion.

I went to my FYE today and there was sign saying 25% off ALL NEW games . So i then asked the cashier why they were doing a sale and they said mulitple stores are doing it . I then asked if they were going out of buisness and she said " NO " . If anyone wants a picture of the sale banner just tell me :D

The FYE at Arundel Mills Mall in Hanover, Maryland had a ton of games, but most of them were shit. Like, original-Xbox-sports-games bad. That, and a lot of Halo 3.

Saw ten copies of Rogue Galaxy for $10, marked 50%. I'm not sure if this means the tag is already marked 50% off, or if it's 50% off at the register. Who knows!

I was going to buy a non-PH copy of Lost Planet for $6, but the woman in front of me noticed that all of the games she was holding had been opened before, as evidenced by fingerprints and shattered cases. The girl at the register explained in Trailer-Trashese (translated here) "these games are from stores that have shut down" and "they have been opened, but the games a brand new."

Uh huh!

I put Lost Planet back on the shelf and drove away!

[quote name='jebnaut']Where are you at, man? I live in Baltimore for school, but I'm from the Manassas/Fairfax area.

Or, more specifically, what stores are we talking about?[/QUOTE]

Springfield

I hit up the Georgetown, landmark, and Mazza gallery stores which have all sadly deceased.

[quote name='FrankTheFrowner']My local store did not apply the discounts to point cards, saying they were considered gift cards and not game accessories.

And it's not a store closing sale, the associate told me it was just a one-week special promotion.[/QUOTE]

lol, they are totally lying about the points.. they are even categorized as accessories on the telxon stickers. I bought points from a bunch of the closing stores and tysons which is still open and got the discount.

FYE @ Burlington Mall in MA has all new games 25% off lowest marked price, 75% original Xbox/Cube/GBA games, and 50% off PS2 games. From what I heard the company is consolidating which stores carry games. No ones closing, but only a few will carry games. The ones that are selling games are receiving stock from the other stores.

[quote name='Euripides']Anybody feel this will be FYE's last year in business across the nation?[/QUOTE]

I'm not certain how they expected to compete in the videogames business with their pricing structure. They are definitely down on my list of buying options.
That said they must have a loyal following for movies and music, 'cause otherwise they would've shut down a long time ago. I think it's smart of them to throw in the towel as far as videogames, since they were never competitive.

[quote name='stavros45']FYE @ Burlington Mall in MA has all new games 25% off lowest marked price, 75% original Xbox/Cube/GBA games, and 50% off PS2 games. From what I heard the company is consolidating which stores carry games. No ones closing, but only a few will carry games. The ones that are selling games are receiving stock from the other stores.[/QUOTE]

downton boston, ma FYE has the same thing except didn't see anything about the 25% current gen. So many $1-2 games but mostly sports games. Did see 50 cent bulletproof for 1.25

[quote name='Euripides']Anybody feel this will be FYE's last year in business across the nation?[/QUOTE]

Lalala! I'm not listening!

[quote name='dragonjud']I'm not certain how they expected to compete in the videogames business with their pricing structure. They are definitely down on my list of buying options.
That said they must have a loyal following for movies and music, 'cause otherwise they would've shut down a long time ago. I think it's smart of them to throw in the towel as far as videogames, since they were never competitive.[/QUOTE]
You're exactly right. Corporate knows it's stupid to buy games at the asking price to have them on release day if nobody's going to buy games from their stores until they're super cheap. That's why they're jumping off the game train now and just sticking with music and movies.

On the other hand, though, games are only going to get more and more popular. Dropping such a popular form of media that, out of the main three, is the hardest to pirate with few online alternatives, could be a big mistake. We'll have to see where this decision takes them.

went to saint Mathews mall in KY, nothing on sale. Had them scan borderlands to see if prices were lower in comps, but it rang up $60.00 so nothing for me.

And Tales From Topographic Oceans was $24.00... Curse you prog rock cd prices :( over an hour for nothing.

[quote name='dohdough']Lot's of MA CAG's in here. How's the selection in Downtown and Burlington?[/QUOTE]

Burlington has some good stuff on both ends, just remember it's only on new, not used games. The cheap older generation games is pretty much garbage, unless you want sports titles from 2004 for $0.50. I grabbed the last copy of Midnight Club Dub Edition for Xbox for $1.00

My FYE has 25% off all new games and 50% off new PS2 games. This is in addition to the 10% Back Stage pass discount. Of course, the games have been mostly picked clean and there are only a few games I would even consider buying.

Picked up Cursed Mountain and No More Heros for 8 bucks a piece..the employee saw me looking at games and told me to bring the games i was considering up to her for a price check..she told me FYE wasn't going to carry games anymore..

Morgantown, WV

Last edited by a moderator:
FYE had 25% off all DS, Wii, X360, and PS3 while there's a 50% off all PS2 games...unfortunately, there was barely any selection, whatsoever.

I did manage to pick up Mana Khemia 2 for $20.

[quote name='WVUMountaineers']Picked up Cursed Mountain and No Mo Heros for 8 bucks a piece..the employee saw me looking at games and told me to bring the games i was considering up to her for a price check..she told me FYE wasn't going to carry games anymore..

Morgantown, WV[/QUOTE]

How many copies of NMH did you see? Or just the one?

I picked up the Last Remnant ($12.99 normally, ~9.50 after discount), but reading reviews, it's going back. Didn't really get to be too thurough with the selection as I was on a time limit.

I did get a Rock Band Track Pack Vol. 2 for my girlfriend too, also ~$9.50

[quote name='jebnaut']How many copies of NMH did you see? Or just the one?[/QUOTE]
that was the last new copy..i think 1 more used, but thats not part of the sale.. used is buy 2 get 1

All my games for 360 and PS3 are 50% off...just nothing in there to make it worth my wile. They still had Folklore and Call of Duty 3 at 59.99! I thought oh it must be wrong..but nope, we price checked and my store was still selling them for that much. It also claimed that the store itself was not stopping the sale of new games, but that due to other stores closing, they had received tons of extra inventory.

bread's done
Back