Fable II - Gen Discussion & Info

[quote name='ZForce915']I no longer intend to play it, that is why I let my guard down to learn about the plot. I've decided if I'm going to play a RPG it will be a current gen title...Like Fable II for instance.[/quote]

No comparison between the two, in my mind. :) But if you tried to play FFVII now, I wonder if you'd be held back by its technological constraints? It's kind of funny looking these days.

[quote name='akilshohen']I tried to play it back in 05 and it was boring.[/quote]

Most of those games are children of their times. I can go back and play FF IV and FFVI and VII... and all of them, really (except VIII due to the horrendously long summon animations and mind-breaking draw system), but if you're not used to that kind of thing...

Some say others hold up better than VII does. Personally, I enjoyed it more when I played it last year than I enjoyed it even the first time I played it, at which point I really didn't understand it or anything about Japanese culture.

It's tough to tell with older games. But then again, I find even some newer stuff sort of boring.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']If it's still exploitable, exploit the hell out of Pub Games. Makes the game so much easier, so i'm told.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can still exploit it.

Clear your cache to get rid of the patch that fixes the glitch, disconnect from Live or refuse to update the game, and then go and play it to make money.

As for making the game easier...no, not really. The added money helps off initially with buying real-estate, but by the time the truly good weapons are available for purchase you'll likely have plenty of money for them anyway since there's not a whole lot that you'll need to buy on a regular basis.

I played through the first time with a ton of money and the second time as a standard character without a huge bankroll out the gate and didn't find any huge drawbacks to having less money outside of having to be a blacksmith/bar tender for a while longer to get enough money to start buying shops and what-not to get a consistent flow of cash coming in.

Has anyone experienced slowdowns with this game? I was playing for a while and then suddenly everything was moving slowly as if there were too many animations on the screen at once. But it didn't go away.

[quote name='captainfrizo']Yeah, you can still exploit it.

Clear your cache to get rid of the patch that fixes the glitch, disconnect from Live or refuse to update the game, and then go and play it to make money.

As for making the game easier...no, not really. The added money helps off initially with buying real-estate, but by the time the truly good weapons are available for purchase you'll likely have plenty of money for them anyway since there's not a whole lot that you'll need to buy on a regular basis.

I played through the first time with a ton of money and the second time as a standard character without a huge bankroll out the gate and didn't find any huge drawbacks to having less money outside of having to be a blacksmith/bar tender for a while longer to get enough money to start buying shops and what-not to get a consistent flow of cash coming in.[/QUOTE]

If you're going to exploit or cheat, might as well do the date trick. Works wonders.

Finished the game the other day. While some people complain about the lame end fight, I didn't mind it at all. To me the game wasn't about building up to an epic battle, it was more of the journey to the end. Fun game overall. I'm not the type of person to play a game twice though I could definitely see the appeal in doing so with this game.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']I am really trying to like this game, but for some reason I can't get into it, it's just not fun :cry: Fallout 3 blows this game out of the water![/quote]

I have the the exact opposite opinion. I really preferred the whimsical world of Fable II over the oppressive world of Fallout 3.

I'll pick up the DLC for Fable, I won't be getting the DLC for Fallout.

Agree with Snake Eyes. Loved the whimsy of Fable 2 (used that exact word to describe the difference the other day, actually) over the grit of Fallout 3. I've had enough with the super-realistic killing lately. I just want something a little on the lighter side and Fable was a perfect balance. Sure, it had heavy themes, but the way they played out was brilliant. Can't wait for Knothole Island.

I've played hours over the past few days. I'm totally hooked. I find that I'll fire up my 360 just to chop wood or pull a few pints. I've got 2 wives and they're wearing me out, though. They want sex every other day and they're in towns that are 29 hours apart... All the sex was interesting at first, but now it's just getting tiring. :D

Any way to get rid of scars? I haven't been able to figure out the magic system just yet so I'm not as effective as I'd like to be.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this:

(I'll spoiler it just in case)

I got to the part where you leave with Hammer on the dock and Theresa tells you to complete active quests because you won't be able to after you leave with Hammer. So I saw that I could do the Oakfield Massacre so I went and talked to the guy at the Shadow Temple and he told me to go meet Wicked Wilbur in Oakfield, only problem is... Wilbur is not there. He doesn't show up. I watched a video on YouTube to see where he was supposed to be and whenever I enter--he's simply not there.

I can't start the quest because the counter for townspeople never shows up and I have no bread crumb.

Anyone else have this happen or know of a fix? Thanks!

Does anyone know the rate in which you gain gold while the game is off? If I earn $200 every 5 minutes while the game is on, how much to I earn every 5 minutes when it is off?

And for the record, I'm not interested in cheating to get money. I know how to manipulate the system clock.

[quote name='HarryTruman']Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this:

(I'll spoiler it just in case)

I got to the part where you leave with Hammer on the dock and Theresa tells you to complete active quests because you won't be able to after you leave with Hammer. So I saw that I could do the Oakfield Massacre so I went and talked to the guy at the Shadow Temple and he told me to go meet Wicked Wilbur in Oakfield, only problem is... Wilbur is not there. He doesn't show up. I watched a video on YouTube to see where he was supposed to be and whenever I enter--he's simply not there.

I can't start the quest because the counter for townspeople never shows up and I have no bread crumb.

Anyone else have this happen or know of a fix? Thanks!
[/quote]

I'm not there yet, but I could have sworn I read about a big glitch similar to what you are explaining...though the update that we had should have fixed it already.

[quote name='ZForce915']Does anyone know the rate in which you gain gold while the game is off? If I earn $200 every 5 minutes while the game is on, how much to I earn every 5 minutes when it is off?

And for the record, I'm not interested in cheating to get money. I know how to manipulate the system clock.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played in a while and was wondering today how much I'd get when I got back in. You really don't have to cheat to make a load of money in the game which is great.

[quote name='ZForce915']Does anyone know the rate in which you gain gold while the game is off? If I earn $200 every 5 minutes while the game is on, how much to I earn every 5 minutes when it is off?

And for the record, I'm not interested in cheating to get money. I know how to manipulate the system clock.[/quote]I don't know the rate, but I hadn't played the game for about a week and a half to two weeks. Owning the bar and blacksmith, I popped the game in and pulled in 250,000 gold.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'm not there yet, but I could have sworn I read about a big glitch similar to what you are explaining...though the update that we had should have fixed it already.[/quote]

Yeah, I've read stuff about this quest being glitched but nothing quite like what I'm experiencing. Seems as though some people get the counter down to 1 but no one is left in town, etc.

I don't know if it has anything to do with this, but I have an assassination contract out on a monk in Oakfield and when I went to do it earlier in the game I could never find him. Well, the contract period expired but the job never disappeared from my list. Now if I run around in Oakfield (when I'm supposed to be killing everyone) when I shoot one of the monks it plays the assassination music.

Not sure if that is what is screwing it up or what.

I just played today and got 361,280 since being offline and I own a lot of houses and shops plus who knows the last time I played Fable II!

If you buy up a lot early on, it's easy to accumulate a LOT of money. I didn't even use the pub games glitch and I got the cheevement for owning all of Albion or whatever with no problem.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I hope they add new achievements too.[/quote]
If you look at the achievement list on Xbox.com (dunno if it works on the 360), you'll see that there's an extra 100 points for things from Knothole Island. ^_^

So I just realized that none of the items I won in Pub Games ever showed up in my real game. I merged my character and nothing. Really the only things I wanted were the expression manual and dog trick book. Now how do I do it?

Yeah, I think I'll be picking it up. I beat the game going good and now I'm in the middle of an evil playthrough. Will prolly pick it up on the 13th when it's released. Still got me some MS points from the amazon xbox elite deal that added in a 4K point card.

I'm excited and I'll pick it up. I've been itching for a reason to play Fable 2 again. I'm glad they added new achievements, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I'm excited and I'll pick it up. I've been itching for a reason to play Fable 2 again.

Although, I just realized that the word Knothole just sounds bad. Like in a "i have a dirty mind and knothole sounds like something a butt turns into after it's been violated" kind of way.[/QUOTE]

Where is Lilboo when you need him?

I have a question maybe you guys know the answer to. I'm really early in the game. The orbs that drop from enemies seem like they disappear very quickly. Are they just hiding or joining? Should I stop combat to collect them or wait til everything is dead?

[quote name='Jest']I have a question maybe you guys know the answer to. I'm really early in the game. The orbs that drop from enemies seem like they disappear very quickly. Are they just hiding or joining? Should I stop combat to collect them or wait til everything is dead?[/QUOTE]

It is a good question, I've been stopping to collect but often I get attacked while doing so. Early on I say it is worth the damage to collect the XP.

Another update went live today:
• The Ritual/Monk’s Quest — Fixed the issue with the Abbott becoming unresponsive if you leave Oakfield before he finishes talking. This will fix the problem if you’ve already hit it, too. • Rescuing Charlie/Rescue My Baby — after rescuing Charlie, you can now able to interact with objects
• Guild Cave chest — resolves any issues with previously inability to retrieve items unlocked from Limited Collector’s Edition, website or Chicken Kickin’ game. If you’ve already hit this bug you should now get your items.
• The Spire (Pt2) — no more issues with ship captain being unresponsive
• The Hero of Skill (Pirate King) — you’ll no longer get stuck during Hero of Skill quest (Bloodstone)
• T.O.B.Y./Trouble In Bloodstone — you’ll no longer get stuck during T.O.B.Y. quests (Bloodstone)
• Your child — will no longer be chosen as an assassination target
• Furniture Shop in Albion (Bowerstone) will now always have something for sale
• "Additional unspecified fixes" (their words)

http://community.lionhead.com/blogs/fable_2_development/archive/2009/01/10/3276698.aspx

[quote name='ZForce915']So I just realized that none of the items I won in Pub Games ever showed up in my real game. I merged my character and nothing. Really the only things I wanted were the expression manual and dog trick book. Now how do I do it?[/quote]

Have you talked to a games master in Fable 2 yet? There's one in most of the pubs and you'll occasionally run into a traveling game master. Talk to one, play a quick game, when you cash out you should get all your items and gold from the Pub games.

[quote name='Jest']I have a question maybe you guys know the answer to. I'm really early in the game. The orbs that drop from enemies seem like they disappear very quickly. Are they just hiding or joining? Should I stop combat to collect them or wait til everything is dead?[/quote]

They merge. The smaller orbs slowly group together to form bigger orbs. I'm pretty positive that the only way they'll disappear is if you get killed during combat. Or run really, really far away without collecting them first. So unless you're positive you're about to get killed just leave them until all the enemies are dead. That's what I did for my 2 playthroughs.

[quote name='Jest']I have a question maybe you guys know the answer to. I'm really early in the game. The orbs that drop from enemies seem like they disappear very quickly. Are they just hiding or joining? Should I stop combat to collect them or wait til everything is dead?[/quote]

They do seem to disappear after a short while...press and hold the Left Trigger(?) while they are still there and they all come to you.

does anyone have a good strategy for beating the troll at the end of the arena thing? My best time is 3:50 and I need 1:50 to get all perfects. Last time I tried the fucker stayed underground for a whole fucking minute...cheating asshole.

[quote name='dropbearGSH']does anyone have a good strategy for beating the troll at the end of the arena thing? My best time is 3:50 and I need 1:50 to get all perfects. Last time I tried the fucker stayed underground for a whole fucking minute...cheating asshole.[/QUOTE]

Keep circling around him, use fire magic on the Hobbe's but don't dwell on them, and keep shooting at the glowing red things above all else. That worked for me consistently.

[quote name='dropbearGSH']does anyone have a good strategy for beating the troll at the end of the arena thing? My best time is 3:50 and I need 1:50 to get all perfects. Last time I tried the fucker stayed underground for a whole fucking minute...cheating asshole.[/QUOTE]

Make sure to save before that round too so if you mess up you can just reload there. Try to get a couple of shots off as soon as he comes up then circle around and shoot. I made it with like a second left by just shooting like crazy for the last one that I couldn't see.

Thanks for all the tips on the troll, I gave up though. I got all but the last nerve thing and still had about 30 seconds, but could not get it. It ended up taking me 5 minutes. Oh well, I got the Daichi sword and it seems to be better than the axe you get from the crucible anyway.

[quote name='bs000']Have you talked to a games master in Fable 2 yet? There's one in most of the pubs and you'll occasionally run into a traveling game master. Talk to one, play a quick game, when you cash out you should get all your items and gold from the Pub games.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I tried that and got nothing. I'm a little bummed out since I don't feel like playing through the spinnerbox stuff again since I found that a little boring.

[quote name='dropbearGSH']Thanks for all the tips on the troll, I gave up though. I got all but the last nerve thing and still had about 30 seconds, but could not get it. It ended up taking me 5 minutes. Oh well, I got the Daichi sword and it seems to be better than the axe you get from the crucible anyway.[/QUOTE]

You can always go back later when you get a better gun also. So you may want to try that.

[quote name='munch']I just beat this game today. I'm excited for the Knothold Island DLC. Any word on how much this adds?[/QUOTE]

According to the interview with IGN it adds about 2-4 hours.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/942/942820p1.html

"IGN: How substantial is the Knothole Island download? How long do you expect it to take to complete all of the quests on the isle?

Lionhead: It's a typical size for downloadable content and won't take long to download. As with everything in "Fable II," how long it takes depends on how you play it and how much you want to explore and discover. It probably varies from around a couple of hours to over four."

bread's done
Back