Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

Now that I've finished almost everything with 1 character, it's time to make my second Macgyver one.

High science and speech and no guns!

[quote name='dealer']Now that I've finished almost everything with 1 character, it's time to make my second Macgyver one.

High science and speech and no guns![/QUOTE]Prepare to be disappointed. :whistle2:#

Recently started playing Fallout again after getting my xbox back from being repaired, and anytime I go near the Jefferson memorial the game just freezes. I'm doing the quest where you have to go there, but am I pretty much shit out of luck and have to start a new game??

[quote name='dabebop']Recently started playing Fallout again after getting my xbox back from being repaired, and anytime I go near the Jefferson memorial the game just freezes. I'm doing the quest where you have to go there, but am I pretty much shit out of luck and have to start a new game??[/quote] Its a common glitch I think...
Mine didn't do that so idk.

DLC sounds hella cool. "looks out window oh snap there goes a flying pig"

never thought I'd see actual DLC that was worth buying ever. Now please be $10 or less each.

What ? Bethesda No Dog Armor ???weak sauce...!!!

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']Its a common glitch I think...
Mine didn't do that so idk.[/quote]

Weak sauce alright well I'll take a look at the official forums and google up a solution. The dlc sounds good, but the one coming out in march sounds better with continuing the story.

I'm really excited by all the DLC descriptions. It seems that with both Operation:Anchorage and The Pitt, they won't be significantly changing the Wasteland map (I assume that O:A will have the BoS reveal a combat simulator and The Pitt will add a trade caravan/raider camp where you travel/are kidnapped and taken to Pittsburgh). These would work for the geography of the game because the first was hidden from you and the second is a temporary thing. It makes sense that you wouldn't have found these on your previous trips through the Wasteland.

With this in mind, It makes me very curious to see how the Broken Steel DLC will work. With its description stating "Continues the adventure past the main quest" It seems that it would take place in the Wastelands area. Will they simply drop the assets in and explain it away that the Enclave had 2 top secret bases, 1 of which you just never noticed before? Will you travel to another location, like the Commonwealth, to fight the Enclave? What I'd secretly love to see is them fast forward a few years and set the Broken Steel DLC there. This would explain the Enclave reestablishing themselves and could make for some really cool experiences. Even something as small as
having grass growing in areas of the map because of the new Project Purity provided clean water
would add a lot of meaning to what most look at as a kinda crappy ending to the main story line. The amount of work to do something like that makes it completely unrealistic, but it would be cool.

And possible the most important question to ask about Broken Steel DLC,
Since your character might be dead at the end of the main quest, who will you play as?

[quote name='Smiles Davis']
And possible the most important question to ask about Broken Steel DLC,
Since your character might be dead at the end of the main quest, who will you play as?
[/quote]

I wondered the same thing.....maybe you
make a new one or there is some miraculous way you survive

[quote name='yukafls']I wondered the same thing.....maybe you
[/quote]

I thought
It would be before you die. Makes sense to me.

[quote name='yukafls']I wondered the same thing.....maybe you
[/QUOTE]

I'd love if they just took a random character and built a story around them.
It would be hilarious to have the savior of the wasteland be a Gary clone from 108 or an equally as peripheral a character.

I have encountered the following glitch near the beginning of the game

I went to find Walter after I finished fixing the 3 leaking pipes in Megaton. I spent at least an hour looking for the guy before finally finding him underneath his house. He was dead. Apparently there is a spawning problem in Megaton where a few of the NPCs can spawn in the wrong place and die.

Is there anything I can do other than loading a previous save and making multiple saves more often? If they release a patch could he come back to life?

[quote name='paddlefoot']I have encountered the following glitch near the beginning of the game

I went to find Walter after I finished fixing the 3 leaking pipes in Megaton. I spent at least an hour looking for the guy before finally finding him underneath his house. He was dead. Apparently there is a spawning problem in Megaton where a few of the NPCs can spawn in the wrong place and die.

Is there anything I can do other than loading a previous save and making multiple saves more often? If they release a patch could he come back to life?[/quote]

If you are playing on the PC (which I am assuming you're not since this is the 360 thread) then you can respawn NPC's or make them invincible using console commands. For the 360 I think you are kind of screwed. Just be happy it isn't a more important NPC that died.

[quote name='paddlefoot']I have encountered the following glitch near the beginning of the game

Is there anything I can do other than loading a previous save and making multiple saves more often? If they release a patch could he come back to life?[/quote]

Well crap. I think the same thing may have happened to me because I haven't been able to find the guy either. I'm way too far to go back to that now. I do create a new save file every 10 minutes or so. I roll between around 3 or 4 saves.

Guess I'll check under the house too :cry:

EDIT: Yep, he's dead. Coming down one of the walkways near his house I found him lying dead on the side of the screen. I hope there is a patch for this coming, it seems like a lot of people have this issue - and not just with Walter.

Last edited by a moderator:

That happened in my game with Nathan, during my first play-through, and, like you, Walter, the second time around.

I thought Nathan died because he was old. :whistle2:#

I am really enjoying the game so far (PC Version)! I just left the Vault and proceeded to Megaton..

I just did the quest where you go to the market and get food/medicine. Next I did the one where you get your rads up to 600 and go back and get a skill for it. I do wish I had somewhere to store items though but my explosive skill isn't high enough to disarm the bomb and get a house. Also do enemies respawn every time? I went back to loot the store and there were 4 people standing right in the doorway!

[quote name='Chase']That happened in my game with Nathan, during my first play-through, and, like you, Walter, the second time around.

I thought Nathan died because he was old. :whistle2:#[/quote]

Ha!!!

The way I understand it, the problem is that when he spawns, he falls through the floor and lands 50ft below the treatment plant. Some people have found him when he was immobile, but not yet dead. When you look at him in VATS his legs are crippled :dunce:

I'm taking this game at my own pace, making bad choices and the like. I'm not rushing through the game at all, I want it to last a while. That said, a question about Paradise Falls.

I accepted the slavery mission, then changed my mind after receiving the weapons and wanted to pay for admission. The game wouldn't let me. Instead, I killed everyone and freed the slaves, getting me huge amounts of positive karma, which is great. Should I have captured the slaves and THEN freed them? Would that have gotten me more money and more good karma, or would the negative karma outweigh the positive (assuming that capturing slaves gave you negative karma)?

Where the hell is my house in Megaton?

When you get into the city, take an immediate left instead of going down the hill. It's there.

Dude this game Rocks my socks, and with the Hard drive install it loads even a bit faster. Fallout 3 rocks

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/cheapy-1.jpg

legendary CAG

Also fits great in my 360 game accessory case Microsoft for some reason shipped to me out of the blue along with the 360 Messenger Chat pad, Yes the keys are glowing white lit up. Makes it easy to see, and text message people on your Friends list for tips or anything else. Pics included as always.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/chep2.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/cheppy.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/MikeL1/cheper.jpg

I'm really getting into this now!

I am still doing the Wasteland Survival Guide missions. I just went to the mine filled town and disarmed an absolute ton of mines and then traded them for ammo and a workbench for my house. I don't know why but the guy in the town with a sniper rifle didn't even let me talk to him so I had to cut his arm off with a sword and take his gun :). The only problem I am running into is that my guns are in very bad condition and it is very costly to repair them. I have the repair skill but its hard to find the same gun to use for parts to fix them... Overall this is an awesome game!

Um, I just got out of the vault and no matter where I go I keep getting killed. Any tips on where to go next without getting my ass handed to me?

[quote name='eliter1']Um, I just got out of the vault and no matter where I go I keep getting killed. Any tips on where to go next without getting my ass handed to me?[/QUOTE]

Did you go to the Megaton city and try to find some side quests there? Also what weapons are you using? You may want to start over and pick a skill in guns (I picked small guns). Originally I had picked Melee as my main skill and had to start over and pick better skills. Right now I am at level 6 and haven't been having too many problems..

[quote name='Staind204']Did you go to the Megaton city and try to find some side quests there? Also what weapons are you using? You may want to start over and pick a skill in guns (I picked small guns). Originally I had picked Melee as my main skill and had to start over and pick better skills. Right now I am at level 6 and haven't been having too many problems..[/quote]

I have a 32 Cal and a 10mm right now, I am trying to get to Megaton but I can't cause I get killed. I am currently at a super market. I am pretty sure I picked the skill in guns.

I just left the Vault picked 10 Luck which is the Max, and I get a critical strike very easy, Good for killing enemies immediately.

Just found the fire ants and the killed me.

Whats sucks is that I emerged from the Vault at night time so I didn't get to see the amazing wide visita.

I have 3 10mm guns, but 2 are in bad CND (condition) and one is good. HAve about 100 round

But I might back track because I've wasted 40 round on just killing flies, When the BB gun would have been better.

I picked

Max Intelligence +repair and more skill points given
Max Agility +better with small guns and more action points for vats
Max Luck +all skills raised and more critical hits

and picked Intense Training Perk so I can up my Strength more to carry more

[quote name='eliter1']I have a 32 Cal and a 10mm right now, I am trying to get to Megaton but I can't cause I get killed. I am currently at a super market. I am pretty sure I picked the skill in guns.[/QUOTE]

I think you are going the wrong way. The super market is far away from Vault 101 while Megaton is right outside it. You should be able to get to the Megaton by only killing a few weak creatures...

This game is insanely addictive. I just love going around and picking up every, single piece of junk that I can. The locker in my Megaton apartment is fully stocked with garbage.

holy crap I collected so many spare parts beat a bunch of raiders I didn't think I could beat used up all my health packs but I leveled up in XP. Up my Repair skills

and made a custom double barrel shot gun with red dot lazer sight. You can actually see the little lazer beam bouncing off smoke and stuff. It ups my critical hits.

and I built a custom 10mm Handgun with Silencer but the silencer breaks after like 5 shots because my Skill isn't high enough to make a good one.

Can anyone clue me in on the location of Rockopolis? I'm trying to snag the last bobble head I need. I've tried looking at a world map from achieve360points forum but all the links are broken. And I can't find it on the map with the Explorer Perk. Thanks. :roll:

[quote name='help1']If I was torn between Fallout 3, L4D, and Resistance 2, what should I get?[/quote]

Fallout 3 and I own all three.

Left 4 Dead is a really awesome cooperative game that I feel has a lot of replay value if you play among friends. It also has local coop, but I believe it's only two player split screen and not 3 or 4. Not really a good choice if you're playing by yourself though.

Resistance 2 is kindof a let down for me. I enjoy the single player a lot, but the multi and cooperative is kindof meh in my opinion. Just not feeling it like I did with the original.

[quote name='Draekon']Fallout 3 and I own all three.

Left 4 Dead is a really awesome cooperative game that I feel has a lot of replay value if you play among friends. It also has local coop, but I believe it's only two player split screen and not 3 or 4. Not really a good choice if you're playing by yourself though.

Resistance 2 is kindof a let down for me. I enjoy the single player a lot, but the multi and cooperative is kindof meh in my opinion. Just not feeling it like I did with the original.[/quote]

L4D kinda sucks, me and a friend played it for like 2 or 3 days like a couple of hours a day and we are only missing like 5 achievements. But the zombie hoards are cool

Haven't finished the game, yet, but I am still already very excited about the DLC campaigns. They sound like very interesting storylines to experience, and they certainly don't seem to be the usual "Oh, here's another level/mission" we usually get as DLC. I don't know about anyone else, but I would love to play through this scenario, as well...very minor spoilers...

Carol's description of DC right after the bombs dropped sounded like a time and place one would want to play through. The city on fire, and the survivors in utter chaos. A nice touch would be if you went to Vault 101's door and see the people who were carrying the signs that were littering the outside.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']It's the game. A lot of people are having this problem, including me. Apparently the game is really prone to freezing. It sucks, I know, but save constantly and you'll be fine. I don't know how bad it is for you, but I can generally play for a few hours before any lockups, so it's an inconvenience at most. I've only lost a fair amount of progress once.

Scratch that. Not quite confirmed yet. I realized my source wasn't exactly 100% reliable, but the patch is likely. I'm seeing a lot of buzz that they'll be boosting the level cap to 30, which I'm perfectly ok with. Anything more would make your character too powerful.[/quote]

Has any kind of patch come out. I pretty much can't travel at all. Everytime I try, the game locks up. It's getting really frustrating, especially since I'm getting more addicted by the day. PS3 version, thanks.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']This game is insanely addictive. I just love going around and picking up every, single piece of junk that I can. The locker in my Megaton apartment is fully stocked with garbage.[/quote]

It really is. I start out on a quest, end up stumbling on a new area, and 2 hours later I've killed a ton of stuff but have gotten no closer to completing the original quest I was on. I think I have played over 20 hours and have completed maybe 7 quests total.

I love the exploration in this game, it is just so much fun.

I've been playing for Fallout 3 about 2 weeks now and keep getting sidetracked. I do the same crap as many of you and pick up just about everything and stuff it in one of the lockers at home. However recently several outside vendors have been showing up dead, I keep finding their camel thing walking alone through the wastelands. I killed one of the roaming camels to see what would happen and got a lot of free stuff, but now I'm a bit worried that dead vendors could hurt my game. Anyone know if this will have any effect on the ending or my game? I know one of the vendors got gunned down, because I was there when it happend.

I started on normal, and it was too easy. Hard was somewhat challenging for awhile, but now I'm at level 20 and have a bunch of the unique weapons, so it's pretty easy again.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']It really is. I start out on a quest, end up stumbling on a new area, and 2 hours later I've killed a ton of stuff but have gotten no closer to completing the original quest I was on. I think I have played over 20 hours and have completed maybe 7 quests total.

I love the exploration in this game, it is just so much fun.[/quote]

Hell yeah. That's the best part about this game. There really aren't any artificial barriers, like "Oh, you're not ready for that, yet." I've covered a good chunk of the map so far and have gone into whatever area I wanted to.

[quote name='Soodmeg']What level are you guys playing this on? Should I just start off with very hard?[/quote]

I started on normal, and it was too easy. Hard was somewhat challenging for awhile, but now I'm at level 20 and have a bunch of the unique weapons, so it's pretty easy again.

bread's done
Back