Fallout 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 'GOTY' Edition w/All 5 DLC Packs 10.13.09

Yeah, that is the one unfortunate reality you have to deal with when it comes to games like this. I am a huge fan of the Knights of the Old Republic series, and there are plenty of broken quests and such in those games, as well. I will say, though, that I put a lot of time into this game, and the only issue I ran into so far was one dying NPC. That was it. Not too bad...for my experience, at least.

So, anyway, I wrapped up the main quest last night. Great, great game, as I have said a number of times in this thread already. That being said, the ending was a bit disappointing...

It just feels like that last part of the game was rushed. Everything else about the game was long and epic. Then, you get to the end, and it's like, "Ok, we're done, now." The battle towards the Jefferson Memorial was disappointing, considering there really weren't too many enemies on the way there. Then, when you get inside, there is barely anyone guarding the control room. Wouldn't the Enclave throw everything they have left into protecting that site?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Dogmeat can be found in the scrapyard. It is located northeast of the Vault 101 area, across the river. It is very large and hard to miss. Dogmeat is pretty much in the middle of the place. You won't miss him.[/QUOTE]

A belated thanks you. He may wind up sitting around my house but at least I'll have him.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, that is the one unfortunate reality you have to deal with when it comes to games like this. I am a huge fan of the Knights of the Old Republic series, and there are plenty of broken quests and such in those games, as well. I will say, though, that I put a lot of time into this game, and the only issue I ran into so far was one dying NPC. That was it. Not too bad...for my experience, at least.[/quote]

I made it around the glitch by going in an alternate entrance (which also made the quest extremely easy). I don't know if it will still freeze if I exit from the original door or not, but at least I completed the quest.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']I made it around the glitch by going in an alternate entrance (which also made the quest extremely easy). I don't know if it will still freeze if I exit from the original door or not, but at least I completed the quest.[/QUOTE]

I had a similar problem for a while - The game would freeze up when I moved between locations. Eventually, I figured out that was freezing on the autosave, which, in turn, would corrupt my autosave. After trying a bunch of different options (clearing cache, moving all game data to a memory card, etc), I found that the problem resolved itself once I deleted a whole bunch of my previous game saves.

[quote name='DCriminal']I had a similar problem for a while - The game would freeze up when I moved between locations. Eventually, I figured out that was freezing on the autosave, which, in turn, would corrupt my autosave. After trying a bunch of different options (clearing cache, moving all game data to a memory card, etc), I found that the problem resolved itself once I deleted a whole bunch of my previous game saves.[/quote]

I suspect it was the autosave as well since as soon as you enter the wasteland again, the autosave kicks in. I've been tempted to turn off all off the autosave settings since I typically roll 3-4 saves (in addition to the autosave) in case something like this happens.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I love how silly some of the armor combos can look. By the end of the game, I was using the T-51b Power Armor and Ledoux's Hockey Mask![/quote]

Agreed, my personal favorite is a power armor helmet and a vault suit.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I love how silly some of the armor combos can look. By the end of the game, I was using the T-51b Power Armor and Ledoux's Hockey Mask![/QUOTE]

Man, Ledoux would not spawn for me no matter how hard I tried!

That whole "quest" was glitched for me.. Milo wouldnt talk to me no matter how many times I pressed talk... so I blew him up and took the key.

With Ledoux show up no matter what, even if you didnt get the forumla? Or does it have to be activated, b/c it seems like thats my problem

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']My roommate found a Fat Man that shoots eight nukes at once. It's totally useless, but it looks cool...[/quote]

I've never heard of that before.

It's called the Experimental MIRV. It can be found in the National Guard Depot, situated near the northern edge of DC. Unfortunately, you also need to find the Keller family's transcripts, which are scattered across the CW.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Man, that sucks. He should be outside of the Red Racer Factory once you get the formula. Too bad he won't spawn for you. The mask is great to have.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I found out this minor quest will not activate if you have already completed the Nuka Cola Challenge side quest, as I did.

You can still find the formula and stuff but the guy will never appear.

That sucks, his Mask is probably the best headgear in the game.

Just of curiosity, have I totally screwed myself?

I'm still really early in the game, playing around in Megaton. Burke wanted me to blow up the nuke, but the good side of me took over. I told Burke I'd do it, but promptly went to Lucas and ratted him out. Lucas went to arrest Burke, but when he turned his back, Burke shot Lucas in the back with the silenced pistol. I killed Burke (took his gun, as well as Lucas' assault rifle) - does this totally screw me out of anything other than the reward for disarming the bomb?

I need to set up several saves and get rid of the autosave.

[quote name='JJSP']Just of curiosity, have I totally screwed myself?

I'm still really early in the game, playing around in Megaton. Burke wanted me to blow up the nuke, but the good side of me took over. I told Burke I'd do it, but promptly went to Lucas and ratted him out. Lucas went to arrest Burke, but when he turned his back, Burke shot Lucas in the back with the silenced pistol. I killed Burke (took his gun, as well as Lucas' assault rifle) - does this totally screw me out of anything other than the reward for disarming the bomb?

I need to set up several saves and get rid of the autosave.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. I believe Lucas' main point is to be the interface of the bomb quest. I never had any use for him after that. And I'm not sure what it is with Burke b/c I saved Megaton. But you wouldn't be getting anymore from him as it only works if you blew up Megaton. Basically if you blew up Megaton you would get a house somewhere else from Burke's employers.

It's funny how you ended up with both dead

[quote name='JJSP']Just of curiosity, have I totally screwed myself?

I need to set up several saves and get rid of the autosave.[/quote]

I did the same thing initially with the exact same outcome. I ended up restarting at an earlier save and doing it again
this time not ratting Burke out. I don't think it matters much in the game whether Simms dies or not, but I didn't want it to go down like that.

Another thing to watch out for is NPCs dying. Walter, the water guy died in my town which ended my quest options for him.

Yeah, Walter died on me, as well. Many of the Megaton characters tend to, unfortunately. They seem to spawn in the wrong spots and then fall to their deaths. Fortunately, Walter doesn't offer much. A minor quest early on to fix the pipes around town. After that, you can turn over scrap metal to him. There are other characters who will also reward you for it later, though, so it's all good.

I don't know if this was a good idea or not..

I went to Tenpenny towers and started the mission where the ghouls want to move into the tower. I am a good guy so I tried to do things as peacefully as possible. First off I couldn't even get to Tenpenny, the guard would not let me. I had to shoot his head off with V.A.T.S. and steal the key just to get to Tenpenny. I talked to him and he said if I convinced everyone to let the ghouls live there then he would allow it. I used my SPEECH on some of the characters and they still said no. I went and killed Tenpenny to get positive karma and then I had no choice but to open the gates for the ghouls to come in (so i could complete the mission). As soon as I got the mask from the ghoul I killed him and tried to stop the monsters from killing the residents. Unfortunately I think they automatically kill everyone because I went upstairs and a lot of people were already dead. After clearing out the area I had to rob everyone since they were dead anyway. My karma went from Paladin to Vault Guardian but I wasn't going to let all those items go to waste!

[quote name='Staind204']I am really enjoying the game so far (PC Version)! I just left the Vault and proceeded to Megaton..

I just did the quest where you go to the market and get food/medicine. Next I did the one where you get your rads up to 600 and go back and get a skill for it. I do wish I had somewhere to store items though but my explosive skill isn't high enough to disarm the bomb and get a house. Also do enemies respawn every time? I went back to loot the store and there were 4 people standing right in the doorway!
[/quote]

Just thought i should let you know and everybody who hasn't found a solution to the no house problem (already lvl 16 and haven't completed the power of atom), basically when you find SuperDuper Mart there are 2 trash cans in the back that you can store stuff in and leave it and it will save them there for you to the end of time!

[quote name='shady520']Just thought i should let you know and everybody who hasn't found a solution to the no house problem (already lvl 16 and haven't completed the power of atom), basically when you find SuperDuper Mart there are 2 trash cans in the back that you can store stuff in and leave it and it will save them there for you to the end of time![/QUOTE]

I think you can leave your stuff in any garbage can/locker/etc. and expect them not to disappear.

Finished the main game
I thought the ending was pretty good. It doesn't get any better than an eulogy from Ron Pearlman.

Also, Fawkes was there with me at the end. Why the hell didn't HE volunteer to go into the heavily irradiated area? Jeez, he just stood there... not a peep. I asked him about it, but all he wanted to talk about his gun and battle strategies. It's like he was deliberately changing the subject. I'll admit, even after all that we went through, I thought about firing his gold-brickin' ass. I mean, he's supposed to be pretty smart (and not just by super mutant standards), yet he feigned ignorance at a crucial fucking junction.
After a long and awkward pause, I volunteered myself for the task. Resigned with my inevitable demise, I ran into the chamber and initiated the sequence. The water purifier came alive and the Jefferson statue became visible as the polluted water began to clear. I fell to my knees, weak with radiation poisoning and thought I should have used the damn mutant poison...damn you, Fawkes. Much to my shame, I noticed the burly and familiar shape of my mutant friend standing above me.

In the end, good-old Fawkes had walked into the irradiated chamber with me. I'm not so sure that he made it through okay, but having him there made me feel that my sacrifice was, in the end, insignificant when measured against the possibility, the hope that people and mutants might survive and live peacefully someday.

Actually, I didn't find him there. He sort of found me. I was SW of Megaton near a bridge and attacked by 5 bandits, all of the sudden, there was Dogmeat. So. Yeah. :whistle2:k

[quote name='Soodmeg']Seriously....what is so hard about getting dogmeat? I am extremely surprised at the about of people who are confused at how to get him. He literally is just sitting in one spot not moving and waiting for you to come get him at the Northeast corner of the scrapyard.

Yeah, I know that. I think its a safe bet that you benefit way more by breaking into places than you ever could with the terminal stuff. Its just that every time I see one that I cant access I wonder whats on it.[/QUOTE]

You probably found the scrapyard and triggered the event that introduces Dogmeat, but you didn't go over and meet him. If that happens, he will show up later in an encounter that you are greatly outnumbered, such as the situation you faced.

Dogmeats a pain in the ass though. But he was helpful when it was Charon, Chick from the Stealing Independence quest and I in one big party.

I kept that girl for like 5 or 6 quest before I finished that one. After that Dogmeat died and I was glad. Charon is much better.

Is that his name Charon? Cant really remember.

After you use the Mesmetron, talk to the target. There should be text options about how now they're slaves. You only get one collar at a time, though, so after you capture one slave, you need to go back to Paradise Falls, and the guard will give you another collar.

[quote name='yukafls']Shit.........I guess I shouldnt have wasted everyone there.....Oh well I was gonna start it a second time[/QUOTE]

I did the exact same thing. I'm just going to look for an earlier save, since, for some reason, I ended up with 115 of them.

I always what happened to
The Antagonizer
after I convinced
the Mechanist
to give it up. Turns out she still roams around, and I just found (and killed) her near Smith Casey's garage, clear on the other side of the Wasteland.

Oh, and I was wearing
the Mechanist's
outfit and a kid randomly ran up to me and asked me for an autograph. I obliged. :lol:

[quote name='lolwut?']I just started. I'm in Megaton now and I want to know,
is there any way to free Gob?
[/quote]

No, unfortunately.

[quote name='Scorch']I always what happened to
The Antagonizer
after I convinced
the Mechanist
to give it up. Turns out she still roams around, and I just found (and killed) her near Smith Casey's garage, clear on the other side of the Wasteland.

Oh, and I was wearing
the Mechanist's
outfit and a kid randomly ran up to me and asked me for an autograph. I obliged. :lol:[/quote]

Classic. :applause:

Alright, what about
saving Sheriff Simms from Burke. Everytime I time to take him down, he kills the sheriff first

It's so funny to see some questions on here.. this game evolves with each choice you take, and some of the situations in this thread never happened in my game.. that's so crazy..

also, tesla armor ftw

[quote name='lolwut?']Alright, what about
saving Sheriff Simms from Burke. Everytime I time to take him down, he kills the sheriff first
[/quote]

You just gotta be quick. Save right before that point and be ready to enter VATS just as Burke pulls his weapon. I screwed up the first time, but blew him away the next time.

[quote name='Scorch']It's so funny to see some questions on here.. this game evolves with each choice you take, and some of the situations in this thread never happened in my game.. that's so crazy..

also, tesla armor ftw[/quote]

T-51b for great justice!

Right now, I'm trying to destroy the source of the Fire Ants in Grayditch. The problem is ammo is really scarce since obviously they do not carry ammo. I picked up the Scrounger perk. So maybe that will help.

Has anyone else got this perk? Is it good or a waste? Figuring out with perk to pick each level is hard!

[quote name='electronicthroat']Right now, I'm trying to destroy the source of the Fire Ants in Grayditch. The problem is ammo is really scarce since obviously they do not carry ammo. I picked up the Scrounger perk. So maybe that will help.

Has anyone else got this perk? Is it good or a waste? Figuring out with perk to pick each level is hard![/QUOTE]

I didn't get that perk. After having finished the main story and most of the quests, I can tell you that I did not find there to be a lack of ammo in the wasteland. Some ammo is harder to come by, but as long as you keep more than a couple of weapons on you, you'll be fine.

Those fire ants were a pain in the ass. I think they were the hardest enemies in the game... I did, however, tackle them early on while I was a low level.

I suspect that I'll have to return to finish off the queen in order to get her pheromones for those people in rivet someday.

Good times. I'm still playing after completing the mission and logging 67 hours (damn, that's an embarrassingly large amount of time) and having a blast looking for the bobbleheads that I missed in my first go around. There's so much out there that I did not get to see during the course of the game that I'm glad I saved right before the last leg of the main story.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']I didn't get that perk. After having finished the main story and most of the quests, I can tell you that I did not find there to be a lack of ammo in the wasteland. Some ammo is harder to come by, but as long as you keep more than a couple of weapons on you, you'll be fine.

Those fire ants were a pain in the ass. I think they were the hardest enemies in the game... I did, however, tackle them early on while I was a low level.

I suspect that I'll have to return to finish off the queen in order to get her pheromones for those people in rivet someday.

Good times. I'm still playing after completing the mission and logging 67 hours (damn, that's an embarrassingly large amount of time) and having a blast looking for the bobbleheads that I missed in my first go around. There's so much out there that I did not get to see during the course of the game that I'm glad I saved right before the last leg of the main story.[/quote]

Yeah, the key is being willing to rotate weapons, especially early on in the game. Later, you'll have so much damn ammo, you can use whatever you want. Early in the game, though, I had to keep switching weapons. But as long as I did that, I was fine on ammo. It is very plentiful across the Wasteland. If one is experiencing shortages, you should just walk around the Wasteland and engage some Raiders. You might also want to check out the Super-Duper Mart, if you haven't already. It is part of the Wasteland Survival Guide quest, and the Raiders are using it as storage for a pretty large cache of ammo.

The fire ants were a massive pain in the ass. I did that quest pretty early, too, and they were tough to kill. I used Dogmeat to distract them, and I went on their side, to avoid their flames. Oh, and you don't need to get the ant pheromones from the queen. You can buy them from the drug store (I think) in Rivet City.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yeah, the key is being willing to rotate weapons, especially early on in the game. Later, you'll have so much damn ammo, you can use whatever you want.

The fire ants were a massive pain in the ass. I did that quest pretty early, too, and they were tough to kill. I used Dogmeat to distract them, and I went on their side, to avoid their flames. Oh, and you don't need to get the ant pheromones from the queen. You can buy them from the drug store (I think) in Rivet City.
[/QUOTE]

Sweet...

[quote name='electronicthroat']Right now, I'm trying to destroy the source of the Fire Ants in Grayditch. The problem is ammo is really scarce since obviously they do not carry ammo. I picked up the Scrounger perk. So maybe that will help.

Has anyone else got this perk? Is it good or a waste? Figuring out with perk to pick each level is hard![/quote]

I did that quest early on as well and it was a pain in the ass. I never picked Scrounger but as someone else stated, do the Super Duper Mart quest for Moira's Wasteland Survival Guide and you should be able to score some more ammo to use against those bastard ants.

There is something I did use for the later part of the ant quest which really helped:

I had around 4 or 5 bottlecap mines that I had made when I went into their lair. I think I got the schematics to make them from another Moira quest - probably the minefield one. Anyway, they are one-hit kills against the super tough ants that you are going to come across towards the end of the quest.

Yeah, the Super-Duper Mart was extremely helpful. If you find yourself having a hard time dealing all of the Raiders there (there are quite a few), use a Stealth Boy to sneak to back of the store. You should find a terminal with access to a Protectron. Activate it, but make sure to snatch the employee ID from atop of the terminal, so that the robot doesn't attack you, as well. Also be aware that after you clear out the store and are there for a bit (while you stock up), more Raiders will come and realize they have been attacked. Lastly, if you happen to be very, very early in the game and still haven't claimed yourself an apartment, you can use the store as one. Anything you store there will remain, and there is a bed there, as well.

I do have the scrounger perk, and later on in the game, I'm high on some ammo and low on others. I never use laser pistols or laser rifles but I have like 800 ammo for it so I'm using that. I've been using the combat shotgun and chinese assault rifle against super mutants. I think the scrounger perk has definitely helped.

Also,
if you do the quest in tenpenny tower and help Roy get in, keep the ghoul mask on. You can wear helmets over it. It makes ghouls ignore you for pretty much the rest of the game, which is very helpful.. especially in the Jefferson memorial tunnels when you have people following you.

I buy most of my ammo, I have so many caps I dont know what to do with them all. But I also store half my weapons at the megaton house

Well, that also works as the game goes along. You'll have so many weapons and pieces of armor, you should be loaded with caps. I bought all the crap for my apartment, even though you really don't need things like the Nuka Cola machine or the jukebox. I just didn't have anything else to spend the caps on.

[quote name='lolwut?']Alright, what about
[/quote]

Just don't tell Simms about Burke's plan and you'll avoid the whole situation. That is what I did after I got Simms killed the first time.

To anyone who has done the Trouble on the home front quest.

What did you do to solve it and how did that turn out? There is at least 10 different ways to finish this quest, just wondering how people went about it.

bread's done
Back