Fallout 3 on Xbox 360 or PS3?

steve_k

CAGiversary!
Fallout 3 is now $20. Am I better off getting the PS3 version, or the Xbox 360 version? A few points to consider:

- I do not have an Xbox Live membership
- I have both the PS3 and Xbox 360
- I have a 40" 1080p HDTV with HDMI cables for both systems
- I do not want to pay for the Game of Year edition ($60)

Any advise would be appreciated.

I've heard the 360 version plays better (less freezing issues) and looks better. Although I do have the PS3 version and it hasn't really glitched on me more than once or twice which is very common even with the 360 version.

One thing to keep in mind is that the DLC on the PS3 version is on the main disk so no downloading allowed, while the 360 version has all of the GOTY DLC on a separate disk to download to your hard drive. If you have hard drive space you could theoretically rent the 360 version and download all of the DLC content for a fraction of the price.

You could also gameshare the PS3 content for 1/5 of the price (look up the CAG gamesharing thread if interested).

360 version isn't glitch free either. I've put 52 hours into it the past month+ and it's froze up probably 3 or 4 times where I had to turn the console off and restart. Got screwy once while saving and the save was corrupt so I had to go back to a previous save.

One option for the extra content (either way--as I assume 4 of them are available on disc on the PS3 as well) is Goozex. I got the two discs on Goozex pretty quickly and had traded them back out after installing within a month for the same points I spent on them--so all those four cost me was the $3-4 to ship them back out. Mothership Zeta I just bought and downloaded on Live.

I played through the original game and the GotY version on the PS3 and can vouch for the version's freezing issues on the PS3. It's really annoying. The regular version wasn't that bad (only froze on me once or twice) but the GotY froze quite frequently.

Yeah I will say that on the 360 that most (if not all) of my freezes where during the DLC areas--so it seems to be more of an issue with the extra content that's installed rather than the on Disc content.

That's fine, but the OP isn't asking about the PC version.

I'd deal with the 3-4 crashes in 52 hours of gameplay before I"d ever play a game on the PC personally. But I'm sure it is the superior experience for those who are into PC gaming.

Get it on the 360. Fewer issues overall. Plus they released 4 of the expansions on 2 disc releases (Anchorage/Pitt and Steel/Lookout) on the 360 that are traded into Gamestop all the time and you can get for super cheap.

Ah, so I guess no discs for the DLC on PS3 then, so I was wrong above.

Again, the 360 discs are super easy to get, install and send back out on Goozex as well if you use that site.

So that's definitely a big point in favor of the 360 version since it's easy to get 4 of the 5 DLCs for super cheap.

And you'll want them as honestly the DLC areas are the best part of the game IMO.

[quote name='Scorch']360 one looks a hair better. PS3 version is poorly designed and freezes periodically.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect.

Visually they are the exact same thing, much like virtually every game on ps3 and 360 despite what the internet retard fanboy machine would lead you to believe. I know this because I compared both my ps3 version to my best friends 360 version at his house on his tv since he has both systems much like I do. We have compared quite a few games including this one.

And they both crash and freeze periodically because bethesda can not debug and optimize a engine to save their life. Just like with everygame they make they all have problems to this day because they only patch stuff to shut up about 60% of gamers and then stop caring once the majority have quieted down. But my version and his run ok aside from random slow down in the main game and both have bad issues with all the DLC portions and both having a couple game breaking crashes.

And the ps3 version cant be poorly designed because its the same fucking game as the 360 and pc version. Its all the same coding, all the same game just ported to different systems. Its not like they sit down and create the game from scratch 3 times.

I went though it on the 360 and only had it freeze once. A buddy of mine went though it on the ps3 and the game seemed to lock up a lot for him. So for that alone I would say 360.

[quote name='gargus'] Its not like they sit down and create the game from scratch 3 times.[/QUOTE]

Which is how the PS3 version always gets shafted, since a lot of multi platform games are created for the 360 and ported to the ps3, which = lower quality. Sucks but happens a lot, same with Oblivion for ps3.

[quote name='Gimgak']Which is how the PS3 version always gets shafted, since a lot of multi platform games are created for the 360 and ported to the ps3, which = lower quality. Sucks but happens a lot, same with Oblivion for ps3.[/QUOTE]

Weren't both Oblivion and Fallout 3 created for PC and then ported to both the 360 and PS3?

[quote name='Scorch']360 one looks a hair better. PS3 version is poorly designed and freezes periodically.[/QUOTE]
This.

I picked up the PS3 version and it was terrible. The game freezes up and crashes all the time and if you ever want to get the DLC then the glitches and everything are worse. The Pitt is the worst offender, when I played it it was like walking through jello and my weapons kept becoming invisible and it eventually corrupted my save files.

Go 360 all the way.

Put in over 30 hours for the PS3... froze maybe 3 or 4 times. Could be that I just got my ps3 (80gb fat version) last July, but I never really experienced the freezing/crashing other ps3 users report. Never tried the DLC though, so I can't comment on that.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Weren't both Oblivion and Fallout 3 created for PC and then ported to both the 360 and PS3?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but like Valve has said when asked why they develop for PC and 360 only, PC's and 360's are very similar, so the port goes a lot smoother than from PC to PS3. The way that PC's and PS3's work is pretty different compared with PC and 360.

reason 360 looks better than the ps3 is all or most third party titles are made for the 360 and port it to the ps3 and pc. sad but true.

If you can't play it on PC then I would probably go with the console you play most of your games on currently. Between the two there is very little difference.

[quote name='Gimgak']Which is how the PS3 version always gets shafted, since a lot of multi platform games are created for the 360 and ported to the ps3, which = lower quality. Sucks but happens a lot, same with Oblivion for ps3.[/QUOTE]

they improved oblivion for the ps3 as it came out a year later after the ps3 version. games should not be ported from the 360 to the ps3. you get a better product for starting with the ps3 and porting down to the 360.

But no company is going to develop for the console with the smallest install base this generation. Especially not when they can focus on the PC and 360 since those platforms are so similar, and then port over to the PS3.

Just the way it is when the most powerful console isn't the best selling. X-box and Gamecube third party ports tended to suffer last generation as most third party games were developed for the PS2 since it was on top and then ported over so you had that lowest common denominator effect.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Ah, so I guess no discs for the DLC on PS3 then, so I was wrong above.

Again, the 360 discs are super easy to get, install and send back out on Goozex as well if you use that site.

So that's definitely a big point in favor of the 360 version since it's easy to get 4 of the 5 DLCs for super cheap.

And you'll want them as honestly the DLC areas are the best part of the game IMO.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the GotY edition on PS3 has all of the DLC on the disc (Blu-Ray factor) as the expansions didn't come out on PS3 until last fall when the GotY editions hit. It seems MS paid for exclusivity for them for 1 year (or how ever many months it was from the release of Operation Anchorange until the GotY retail edition.)

[quote name='dmaul1114']360 version isn't glitch free either. I've put 52 hours into it the past month+ and it's froze up probably 3 or 4 times where I had to turn the console off and restart. Got screwy once while saving and the save was corrupt so I had to go back to a previous save.

One option for the extra content (either way--as I assume 4 of them are available on disc on the PS3 as well) is Goozex. I got the two discs on Goozex pretty quickly and had traded them back out after installing within a month for the same points I spent on them--so all those four cost me was the $3-4 to ship them back out. Mothership Zeta I just bought and downloaded on Live.[/QUOTE]

Weren't you the guy who said he basically doesn't play games much anymore and watches movies instead? That's not a criticism; I'm just surprised that you put so much time into a game.

you should be able to find 360 version of GOTY edition for 20$.
i hope you tried Fallout 3 before cause you may be very dissapointed like i was. i hoped i would get action rpg with good fps mechanics and i got less than average rpg, broken fps mechanic and almost zero action.

[quote name='The Stuff']I played Fallout 3 (Xbox 360) for over 80 hours (no DLC). It never froze or messed up at all.[/QUOTE]

:imwithst: the stuff. Im too too many hours into Fall out 3 on the :360: and haven't had one problem with the game freezing. My problem is with the game sucking my life away

[quote name='Matt Young']Weren't you the guy who said he basically doesn't play games much anymore and watches movies instead? That's not a criticism; I'm just surprised that you put so much time into a game.[/QUOTE]

I said my gaming ebbs and flows. I'll go all out into a game like this for a bit, then not touch a game for a few months. But I've pretty much always enjoyed movies more than gaming, that's been my stable #1 hobby.

Gaming picks up in the summer for me as I have a bit more free time since I don't have class/teaching (was always in school before, just finished my first year as a professor). Hard to find time for games during the academic year when working a shit ton between teaching and research. Easier in the summer when it's just research work.

I've got Bioshock 2 up next, then I probably won't do much gaming for a bit other than playing what ever Mass Effect 2 DLC rolls out as there's not much out I want to play.

Alan Wake I guess, but that can wait for Goozex. Dragon Age--but it will be a long time before I want to play another RPG after putting 60 hours into Fallout 3 and a bit more into Mass Effect 2 early this spring (plus the later DLC)--and I imagine there will be a GOTY edition.

Other than that, not really anything out or coming out until Gears 3 next spring that I'm really stocked to play.

[quote name='steve_k']Fallout 3 is now $20. Am I better off getting the PS3 version, or the Xbox 360 version? A few points to consider:

- I do not have an Xbox Live membership
- I have both the PS3 and Xbox 360
- I have a 40" 1080p HDTV with HDMI cables for both systems
- I do not want to pay for the Game of Year edition ($60)

Any advise would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

TLDR the rest of the thread but I will say this, as someone who owns the Fallout 3 GoY edition on the Xbox 360 and Fallout 3 standard edition on the PS3, I'd go with the 360 version. It seems to just flow better, I cant really describe it but the controls on the gameplay are just a hair smoother imo. The graphics are a smidgen (not even really noticeable tbh) better on the 360.

If you choose to go with the PS3 version I will say this, I have put a solid 30-40 hours into the PS3 version alone, I have never once experienced a freeze, lockup, lag or anything else. Again this is just my experience. I did have the beginning movie skip at one point for 1 second on the PS3 version but not on the 360 version.

Either way they are worth the $60 but if you look on the Amazon Warehouse you can get a used version for less than $20 and they're usually in like new condition. Either one is a solid, great choice everything I mentioned is minor compared to the game your getting.

Link to Amazon WH - At the time of this posting only the 360 version was in stock at 12.99.

bread's done
Back