Infamous
Feedback
12 (100%)
www.totalvideogames.com_736FNV_logo_70362__size_655_1500.jpg

Released 10/19/10

Official Website

Amazon Listing

Pre-Order Bonuses

Note: The PC version is NOT a GFWL release, which means that Live achievements are unable to be earned. This is a Steamworks release, which will require you to install and use Steam to play. It is disc authenticated/activated by Valve servers, so there is no workaround unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! AWESOME! I loved Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas seems like it will be just as awesome!

Definitely looking forward to more info about this game, hopefully more will be released at E3 this year.

The teaser did nothing to inspire my interest.

Much as I love the fallout universe I just dont have alot of interest in this game yet. Ive a feeling its just going to be the same old thing with just a new coat of paint.

I dont have much faith in obsidian making the game anyway. All they have done is neverwinter nights 2 expansions which werent that good and knight of the old republic 2 which was broken, missing endings and had a metric shit ton of side missions that were pointless and very boring.

[quote name='gargus']The teaser did nothing to inspire my interest.

Much as I love the fallout universe I just dont have alot of interest in this game yet. Ive a feeling its just going to be the same old thing with just a new coat of paint.

I dont have much faith in obsidian making the game anyway. All they have done is neverwinter nights 2 expansions which werent that good and knight of the old republic 2 which was broken, missing endings and had a metric shit ton of side missions that were pointless and very boring.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't very excited by the trailer either, but after reading up on the changes/differences I can say that I am now. They seem to be going more for the feel of the original games but done in the 3D universe.

Here's some rundowns taken from the other thread-

- There is an optional hardcore mode, the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, healing isn't instant etc.

- Normal mode is more similar to Fallout 3 gameplay.

- The storyline is focused on the New California Republic vs. Caesar's Legion (slavers from the east) vs. New Vegas residents.

- You are not a vault dweller but are given a Pip-Boy by someone who is one.

- There is a screenshot of a vault suit as well.

- There is an assault rifle looking like the M4, as well as a new big gun with a backpack, held like a minigun.

- There are special moves for melee weapons in VATS - specifically a move for a golf club called "Fore" which seems to be a groin shot.

- The Hoover Dam is in the game and is supplying electricity to the city.

- There is a quest to rescue a ghoul from some super mutants. The ghoul can then become your companion

- The Geckos are back.

- There are both dumb and intelligent super mutants, including the elite Nightkin. On at least one occasion you can convince them to fight amongst themselves.

- Some super mutants look similar to the ones in Fallout 3, while others are new. There is e.g. a female super mutant with a 1950s hairstyle who apparently is one of their leaders.

- Screenshots include a guy with a beard and straw hat, a ghoul and an NCR Ranger.

- The only picture of New Vegas itself is concept art and not a screenshot.

- Some location screenshots include a huge model dinosaur advertising a hotel, some satellite dishes, an array of solar panels

- A character generation shot showing a "vigour machine" instead of the skill book

- NCR base is the McCarran Airport, Caesar's Legion is based in the Vegas Strip, while super mutants are based in a place called Black Mountain.

- There is also a town called Fremont and another called Primm. A topless reuve is mentioned as being in the latter. Area 51 also appears.

- NCR Ranger armor is similar to a brown combat armor with sleeves, there are concept arts of a Ranger.

- Skils have a bigger effect on conversation choices. E.g. someone with a high Explosives skill may be able to have a coversation about explosives where appropriate.

- There is a Reputation system in addition to Karma.

- First-person action RPG with the same engine as Fallout 3.

- Set in the Mojave wastelands. Vegas didn't get many nukes. More intact buildings, as well as desert vegetation. Vegas itself is mostly intact.

- Both karma and reputation are tracked. If I'm reading it right there's separate reputations for each of the settlements, as in 1 and 2.

-All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there's no punishment for failure.

- Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.

-Weapons also now have knock-back upon death, with shotguns sending people flying.

-Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".

-You're a courier, wounded and left for dead in a shallow grave. A friendly robot, Victor, digs you out, and his doctor owner Mitchell patches you up. You take a "vigour test", which is some sort of electric parlour game. This decides who you are and sets up SPECIAL. You can also take some Rorschach tests, but the mag says this is for fun. The Doc then gives you a Pipboy as he was once a Vault dweller.

-"Hoover Dam", and "Helios" (a solar plant, confirmed by the mag to have been built by Poseidon) are fought into and then you can direct the power to wherever you choose. In the case of Helios you can also keep the plant for your self, use the energy to call down a powerful laser, or even try to distribute to all equally, however there is a risk of overloading the reactors.

-There is a "reputation system", in which all three factions (NCR, Ceasar's Legion and the locals) will either see you as good or bad toward them individually.

-There is a screenshot of three Capital Wasteland mutants running toward the player, who is wielding what *looks* to be a heavy incinerator, but has a TV screen and no flamer fuel tanks. He's also wearing NCR combat armour, which is in gold/mustard colours.

-There are two separate screens of supermutants that look to be more local, grey skin, and the two are wearing very different clothes. One is Tabitha, who is hearing a blonde wig and love heart glasses. The mag implies she's "not all there".

-On that quest, you rescue Raul, a ghoul who Tabitha kept alive to fix her favourite robot. He appears to be a follower, as the mag says you can give him items, and also commands, such as "stay, follow or attack", and also tell him to switch to melee, in which case he'll mutter "sure, I'll put away my rather effective gun, and switch to this piece of um, metal tubing here".

-The "all dialog" thing seems to imply there will be failures for skill checks as well as speech checks, though, as the mag states, there is no penalty for failing a skill check. In fact, the mag gives an example: A woman who the player tried a Sneak skill attempt on in conversation failed when convincing her an ambush would help the town be rid of a gang of raiders. She simply says "Good luck with your, uh, ambush"

-Vault 21 is in the game

-It shows the command wheel for followers, with 8 commands: toggle melee/ranged, open inventory, toggle stay close/keep distance, back up, toggle aggressive/passive AI, use stimpack, toggle wait here/follow me, return to normal dialogue.

-Scripting is wittier, characters more distinct. Example from vigour test word association: mother-human shield.

-Opening inventory consists of a kit from the doc, adapted to your starting stats (like Fallout 1).

-The Nevada area is less affected by the nuclear war, so it has plant life, relatively unspoiled houses, and in visual presentation has saturated colours and a bright sky.

-There's a tutorial (led by a character named Sunny who looks a lot like Moira Brown), but unlike Fallout 3, it's optional, so you can hit the open game in 5 minutes from starting.

-NCR and Caesar's Legion are the confirmed faction, article assumes Brotherhood of Steel will be in but they weren't mentioned in the presentation.

"-In New Vegas it's all about the player examining the ideologies of the various groups that are controlling the area and supporting one over the others," explains Sawyer. "Each of the ideologies will have something good that you can relate to, but will also have massive flaws."

-When asked about PS3's Fallout 3 being inferior to the others and if New Vegas will do better, Obsidian devs make no promises but indicate it was a learning process and they're working with all 3 platforms and all have problems.

-The New Vegas strip is still in construction but will have gambling, variety shows and concerts.

-Electrical power is key in the faction struggle.

-Radiation is still a problem, there's a nuclear test site to explore north of New Vegas.

-The soundtrack will blend "Rat Pack style tunes with more Western numbers".

-New Vegas is not just free-roaming gameplay attached to a linear main story, but it weaves decision into the gameworld and gives you greater power to influence things than Fallout 3 did.

-On top of adding back in geckos, New Vegas has a whole new type of animal: mutated mountain rams called Big Horners.

-Sawyer says that Fallout: New Vegas is to Fallout 3 what Vice City is to Grand Theft Auto III

Pre-order bonuses detailed!

The Classic Pack, available when you pre-order through GameStop, contains:
• Armored Vault 13 Suit - Extensively patched up and dotted with piecemeal armor, this outfit is an homage to the classic ending of the original Fallout.
• Vault 13 Canteen - This handy device is useful for staving off dehydration and providing a small amount of healing in the Mojave Wasteland.
• Weathered 10mm Pistol - A well-worn 10mm pistol that packs an extra punch despite its modest size.
• 5 Stimpaks - Food and water are good for long-term healing, but when the fighting is fierce, Stimpaks help keep Wastelanders upright.

classicpack.jpg

The Tribal Pack, available when you pre-order through Amazon, contains:
• Tribal Raiding Armor - Pieced together from scraps of armor, this outfit provides protection without impacting mobility.
• Broad Machete - This heavy-bladed melee weapon does high damage against limbs and can quickly deal out a flurry of attacks.
• 5 Bleak Venom doses - Useful on any Melee Weapon, Bleak Venom makes short of work of most living targets.
• 10 Throwing Spears - If you would like to silently pin an enemy's head to a wall, Throwing Spears are the way to do it.

tribalpack.jpg

The Caravan Pack, available when you pre-order through Steam and Walmart, contains:
• Lightweight Leather Armor - This hand-modified suit of leather armor reduces its overall weight without impacting its ability to protect.
• Sturdy Caravan Shotgun - Despite its rough appearance, this Caravan Shotgun will reliably fire 20 gauge shells until the Brahmin come home.
• 4 Repair Kits - Useful for repairing any outfit or weapon, Repair Kits are a valuable tool for any caravaner.
• Binoculars – The Mojave Wasteland is a dangerous place, but with these trusty Binoculars you’ll be able to spot trouble coming.

caravanpack.jpg

The Mercenary Pack, available when you pre-order through Best Buy, contains:
• Lightweight Metal Armor - Modified for long-range travel, this Metal Armor sacrifices some protection for mobility and overall weight.
• Mercenary’s Grenade Rifle - Though similar to other 40mm Grenade Rifles in the Mojave Wasteland, this model has a faster reload cycle.
• 3 Super Stimpaks - When you absolutely, positively, need to keep your blood inside your body, Super Stimpaks fix you up in no time.
• 3 Doctors Bags - Mercenaries and broken limbs go together like Iguana-on-a-Stick and Nuka Cola. Thankfully, these Doctors Bags take a bit of sting out of the inevitable crushed skull.

mercenarypack.jpg

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Seriously. I can't wait for this one. I hope hope hope it doesn't suck.[/QUOTE]

Well I have less hope now considering obsidians actually new game alpha protocol is out now and has gotten universally mediocre at best reviews. So they messed up other franchises handed to them every time, they cant make a decent original game on their own and now were back to someone handing them their franchise. Ugh.

Obisidian is where games go to die.

[quote name='gargus']Well I have less hope now considering obsidians actually new game alpha protocol is out now and has gotten universally mediocre at best reviews. So they messed up other franchises handed to them every time, they cant make a decent original game on their own and now were back to someone handing them their franchise. Ugh.

Obisidian is where games go to die.[/QUOTE]

I still think there is hope. Fallout NV at least is using an existing engine and game mechanics that I love. Even if it was a MOTS with a different story I would love it. Ruining a franchise with an existing good engine is much harder that ruining a franchise with a made-from-scratch game. Still, you are right, things don't bode well.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']P.S. Official release date- OCt 19th! I will be on my honeymoon, so as much as I love fallout, I will be busy having sex.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but that will only last you three minutes tops. You could sneak in some game time.

[quote name='Draekon']Looks like Steam will be required to play retail copies.[/QUOTE]
Getting tired of these steamworks games. . .

They pulled the same shit on me with Metro 2033 and I was pissed when I found out during the install. They keep this up and I'll just go back to torrenting.

FYI, retailers have now started listing the bonus packs on the pre-order page and the codes will be packaged inside the game. I wouldn't worry too much about the promo though, since the codes just unlock content already on the disc. Times like this that I love being a PC gamer because someone will either mod or write a script to give people all these items.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']P.S. Official release date- OCt 19th! I will be on my honeymoon, so as much as I love fallout, I will be busy having sex.[/QUOTE]

with blood and guts everywhere it's pretty much the same amount of enjoyment.

in fallout, not the sex.

well...both.

As much as I'm looking forward to this, I probably won't be buying for at least a year. Give them time to patch it up and release all the DLC. Also give the community time to create mods/tools. I'm guessing there will be a GotY/Ultimate edition that includes everything and I'll pick it up then.

Bah, DLC be damned. Just buy the game and enjoy free user mods, which are usually better than the shit they pump out for $10.

[quote name='Jodou']Bah, DLC be damned. Just buy the game and enjoy free user mods, which are usually better than the shit they pump out for $10.[/QUOTE]

Meh, it takes plenty of time for the community to create full-fledged quests like that anyway (I assume). Besides, it'd be nice if I didn't have to worry about a patch coming out and screwing up all the mods I have installed and then having to manually go and find an update for some of those mods (at least that's I had to do when a patch was released for Oblivion or Fallout3). If I wait a year, then I'm sure Obsidian will have ceased releasing patches somebody will have released an unofficial patch with thousands of bug fixes like they've done with Oblivion and Fallout3. And sure the DLC might not be as good as the stuff the community creates, but I'd still like to have the complete package.

Besides, I don't think I have time to invest into an RPG like that this fall.

bumping this thread for a game worth bumping :D

I just preordered it for the PC, I had it preordered for the 360 but I kept thinking how much better it would look and hopefully run on the PC .

Cant wait and the system requirements are actually quite low for a new pc game.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']the system requirements are actually quite low for a new pc game.[/QUOTE]

That's because they pretty much just modified the fallout 3 engine.

So being based on a game that came out 2 years ago, I wouldn't expect too much more.

[quote name='iRent']That's because they pretty much just modified the fallout 3 engine.

So being based on a game that came out 2 years ago, I wouldn't expect too much more.[/QUOTE]

true true

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']As much as I'm looking forward to this, I probably won't be buying for at least a year. Give them time to patch it up and release all the DLC. Also give the community time to create mods/tools. I'm guessing there will be a GotY/Ultimate edition that includes everything and I'll pick it up then.[/QUOTE]

I believe this is going to be my approach to this game. Don't get me wrong. I loved Fallout 3, bought it on the very first day, and subsequently purchased every DLC that came out for it.

However something has to take a backseat this fall, as my gaming schedule is getting a fair bit crowded.

[quote name='horns456']I am about to order the GFWL physical copy version, anyone have a suggestion of the best place to buy from?[/QUOTE]
The best you can do is a $20 gaming coupon from Kmart IF you have a store nearby AND they even stock it. Additionally, if they have the fallout coasters you can get $10 off initially making it $40. Otherwise Best Buy is the only retailer to give a $10 gift card basically (500 RZ points).

More info in the BF thread linked in my sig.

[quote name='horns456']I am about to order the GFWL physical copy version, anyone have a suggestion of the best place to buy from?[/QUOTE]
Fallout NV will actually use Steamworks rather than GFWL. Trust me though, that is a very good thing. GFWL caused all sorts of problems on Fallout 3.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Fallout NV will actually use Steamworks rather than GFWL. Trust me though, that is a very good thing. GFWL caused all sorts of problems on Fallout 3.[/QUOTE]

519U%2BKAfbdL._AA300_.jpg

Could you confirm. I plan on getting this copy from Kmart/Amazon/Best Buy. So can I get Xbox achievements with this copy? Or are you saying that the GFWL version is still essentially the Steam copy?

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Fallout NV will actually use Steamworks rather than GFWL. Trust me though, that is a very good thing. GFWL caused all sorts of problems on Fallout 3.[/QUOTE]
Oh god, is this another Metro 2033 where they force you to use Steam to play? I'd rather not have to register it on Steam TBH.

I don't mind Steam myself. I am just confused when a game states, "Games for Windows". I just assume that means XBL achievements and the dashboard. While FO3 crashed often for me, I could launch the game from Steam and be on XBL at the same time.

I prefer Xbox Live achievements and since the majority of my friends are on Xbox I like to be able to communicate/see what they are doing.

IIRC, you didn't have to log in using a GFWL account to play FO3, so I never did. It would warn me that I'd miss out on achievements and updates, though. Big fucking deal lol.

I just couldn't pull the trigger on the PC version of this game I went with the 360 version. I would prefer to play it on my PC but I've never had a game crash on my and give more shit than Fallout 3 did. The fact that it's the same engine this time and it's Obsidian developing it I had no choice really lol.

[quote name='horns456']
519U%2BKAfbdL._AA300_.jpg

Could you confirm. I plan on getting this copy from Kmart/Amazon/Best Buy. So can I get Xbox achievements with this copy? Or are you saying that the GFWL version is still essentially the Steam copy?[/QUOTE]
It is confusing, but Games for Windows and Games for Windows Live are very different. GFWL is achievements, and Live enabled, GFW is just a generic branding for PC games. GFW really doesnt mean anything. The game will have Steam achievements. The benefit of this, is if you like Steam, you can buy it retail and still have it linked on your Steam account. The other side is that you don't like Steam, you are SOL, because Steam has to be installed and running to play it.

Love it or hate it, I really think this is going to be an increasing trend for PC games. Civ V and Fallout NV this year, the new Dawn of War 2 standalone next year. The past two releases were GFWL.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']The other side is that you don't like Steam, you are SOL, because Steam has to be installed and running to play it.[/QUOTE]
God, this shit needs to stop. I buy retail so that 'I' can own the game and not have it linked to an account that can be erroneously suspended (has happened to me twice where I needed to prove I was the account owner because something screwed up on their end). Steam and Valve can fuck off because I want no part of their digital revolution.

Want to really know what's killing the PC industry? Invasive DRM like this shit.

[quote name='Jodou']
Want to really know what's killing the PC industry? Invasive DRM like this shit.[/QUOTE]

On the scale of invasive DRM, this one is pretty low. But I absolutely agree with you that it is killing the PC game industry. IMO, Steam is probably the only distributer out there that makes DRM painless and reliable, but even with Steam I have had problems. It's an absolutely shitty situation, that the consumer really doesn't have any power over. Sure you can "vote with your wallet", but you do have to give up playing something you want, so you still lose out.

Also, they just announced that the first DLC release will be Xbox 360 exclusive. Obviously, this is just a temporary exclusive, but man that is a PITA.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Sure you can "vote with your wallet", but you do have to give up playing something you want, so you still lose out.[/QUOTE]
Oh, there's ways around that lol. I genuinely want to buy my games, but more and more I may just go back to other venues if they keep this shit up.[quote name='TravistyOJ']Also, they just announced that the first DLC release will be Xbox 360 exclusive. Obviously, this is just a temporary exclusive, but man that is a PITA.[/QUOTE]I saw that, but don't care. I never played any of the DLC for FO3 and FNV will be no different. The whole reason I get games on PC when I can is for the mods and they're always better than any $10 DLC IMO.

Steam has to be the most un-invasive DRM systems I have ever encountered, and the positives majorly outweigh the negatives. Such as the fact that if you lose your disc, you can just reload it from Steam servers. The game is linked to your steam account, so even if you lose your CD-key, all you have to remember is your login info for Steam.

[quote name='TwinRetro']Steam has to be the most un-invasive DRM systems I have ever encountered, and the positives majorly outweigh the negatives. Such as the fact that if you lose your disc, you can just reload it from Steam servers. The game is linked to your steam account, so even if you lose your CD-key, all you have to remember is your login info for Steam.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, but you're putting far too much faith in Valve by handing them the keys to your game vault. That's a lot of vested money to give them control over. When my account was suspended, I wasn't able to play any of MY games on Steam. Granted 24 hours later I was back up and running both times, but god forbid the account is ever perma-banned or hacked. I don't lose CD-Keys, games, etc so any positives you list are not for me. But I don't get a choice do I?

That's where I draw the line.

[quote name='Jodou']I saw that, but don't care. I never played any of the DLC for FO3 and FNV will be no different. The whole reason I get games on PC when I can is for the mods and they're always better than any $10 DLC IMO.[/QUOTE]

I'd probably agree for Oblivion (Shivering Isles really didn't grab me and KotN was a ton of fetch quests) but the FO3 DLC was pretty choice.

Would the purchase from steam give me games for windows achievements? I got fallout 3 from retail and used its code. I've gotten Dawn of War 2 from steam and used its games for window key. I'm assuming it will but thought I'd ask first.

Hmm, so the game unlocks at 3:00am EST. Not sure why then, but whatever. Tempted to stay up til then and check it out, since I don't have class til 3:30pm tomorrow anyway.

bread's done
Back