Fallout New Vegas PC Discussion

Correct.

EDIT: I answered my own question via google. For those that don't know, it is tied into steam via activation and steamworks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='forbiddenx']For New Vegas, there aren't going to be any Live achievements right?[/QUOTE]Just go one page back in the thread and look for the dude that shouted in all caps that there won't be.

[quote name='Jodou']Sorry, but you're putting far too much faith in Valve by handing them the keys to your game vault. That's a lot of vested money to give them control over. When my account was suspended, I wasn't able to play any of MY games on Steam. Granted 24 hours later I was back up and running both times, but god forbid the account is ever perma-banned or hacked. I don't lose CD-Keys, games, etc so any positives you list are not for me. But I don't get a choice do I?

That's where I draw the line.[/QUOTE]

Technically valves steam is you leasing or letting you borrow the game for a price, you dont actually own it because you have to go through them to even play it and that to me really kind of sucks. Id rather have a game when I buy it belongs to me and I can play it whenever I want with no internet connection required, no user name and password account tied to it and so on. Thats like paying full price for a car but always having to go to the dealership to get the keys everytime you want to drive it.

I have a few games on steam but they are all valve games, I dont buy anything else through it.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol, the vendor caps exploit is back again. You'd think this would be fixed by now but I guess they just don't care.[/QUOTE]

player.additem 0000000F 1000000000000000

There's not a whole lot of point in fixing a money making glitch in a single player game when cheats are just a google away.

Fail: on my Kmart purchase, i was sure i read when u bought coaster set, get $15 coupon, (i did) then purchase game, get another $20.00 toward future game purchase. I did not get any additional savings, checked the receipt 3 times :( Anyone Else?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']player.additem 0000000F 1000000000000000

There's not a whole lot of point in fixing a money making glitch in a single player game when cheats are just a google away.[/QUOTE]
True, but what about console versions? ;)[quote name='minwage']Fail: on my Kmart purchase, i was sure i read when u bought coaster set, get $15 coupon, (i did) then purchase game, get another $20.00 toward future game purchase. I did not get any additional savings, checked the receipt 3 times :( Anyone Else?[/QUOTE]
Yes, it's an issue with the PC version only. Kmart has said it will be fixed tomorrow, but in the meantime you're SOL. :\

[quote name='minwage']Fail: on my Kmart purchase, i was sure i read when u bought coaster set, get $15 coupon, (i did) then purchase game, get another $20.00 toward future game purchase. I did not get any additional savings, checked the receipt 3 times :( Anyone Else?[/QUOTE]
Yes, it's an issue with the PC version only. Kmart has said it will be fixed tomorrow, but in the meantime you're SOL. :\

[quote name='gargus']Technically valves steam is you leasing or letting you borrow the game for a price, you dont actually own it because you have to go through them to even play it and that to me really kind of sucks. Id rather have a game when I buy it belongs to me and I can play it whenever I want with no internet connection required, no user name and password account tied to it and so on. Thats like paying full price for a car but always having to go to the dealership to get the keys everytime you want to drive it.

I have a few games on steam but they are all valve games, I dont buy anything else through it.[/QUOTE]

I've been using Steam as my primary platform for PC games since Orange Box came out in 2007 and I haven't had a single problem with the service.
I now have over 200 games on steam and counting.

I just built a new computer about 2 months ago and I loved not having to look for the DVDs of the games I wanted to install, all I had to do was log into Steam and start downloading.

More and more games are going to be using Steamworks as DRM. Steam has a huge userbase(Valve recently announced there are 30 million accounts, over the past few days there have been nearly 3 million people logged into Steam at once), has features that rival Xbox Live, the majority of PC gamers like Steam, it prevents day 0 piracy (which is a huge concern for developers and publishers) and it's free for developers and publishers.

I'm currently at the point that unless it's a PC game I really, really want, if it's not on Steam I'm not interested.

I'm not at all worried about Valve going under, preventing me from accessing my games. They have multiple multimillion unit selling franchises, they get a cut of every game sold of Steam, and can afford to give away tons of free content (TF2 updates, L4D updates, Alien Swarm). They're a private company so I can't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we found out that they are one of the more financially successful companies in the industry.

[quote name='Jodou']True, but what about console versions? ;)
Yes, it's an issue with the PC version only. Kmart has said it will be fixed tomorrow, but in the meantime you're SOL. :\[/QUOTE]

What action can i take? Bring it back? Speak to someone? Was this posted on Kmart .com? Any help would be great.

[quote name='minwage']What action can i take? Bring it back? Speak to someone? Was this posted on Kmart .com? Any help would be great.[/QUOTE]
I'd ask in the Kmart thread because SHC is fielding those questions.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']WTF !!!

I just lost 6 hours because the steam cloud saving service is a piece of shit !!!!!

anyone else have this problem ?[/QUOTE]
Nope, works fine for me. In fact, I think this game has the least amount of glitches of it, Oblivion, or FO3. I was able to beat the entire main storyline today. The only issue I had was that achievements stopped unlocking early on, and I'm not really sure why.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']WTF !!!

I just lost 6 hours because the steam cloud saving service is a piece of shit !!!!!

anyone else have this problem ?[/QUOTE]
Apparently Valve turned off Steam Cloud saving for this game right now since it's randomly replacing newer saves with older ones.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Apparently Valve turned off Steam Cloud saving for this game right now since it's randomly replacing newer saves with older ones.[/QUOTE]

okay awesome, I guess I can safely start a new game UGH !!! :bomb::bomb:

So the boxed version is a steamworks activated title? I love steam so I don't mind. I could have sworn that the box I saw at Kmart today was a GFWL title.

So, PS3 or PC version of the game? My rig can more than handle it. But there's zero resale value on the PC version...

Boxed version is Steamworks. It's just a GFW title which means it has 360 controller support, etc. Definitely pick up the PC version, I bought the 360 version today and didn't even get two hours into it before selling it to my roommate who was gonna get the 360 version anyway so I could get the PC version.

[quote name='torifile']So the boxed version is a steamworks activated title? I love steam so I don't mind. I could have sworn that the box I saw at Kmart today was a GFWL title.

So, PS3 or PC version of the game? My rig can more than handle it. But there's zero resale value on the PC version...[/QUOTE]

Modsmodsmodsmodsmodsmods

PC.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Apparently Valve turned off Steam Cloud saving for this game right now since it's randomly replacing newer saves with older ones.[/QUOTE]
Nice. This right here is why I hate being forced to use Steam. I only got to play for a few hours last night, but if I come back to an overwritten game I'll just DL a cracked version and be done with it.

BTW, anyone run into a glitch where the Cheyenne's eyes become attached to the side of her head? LMAO, it took me a second to realize what was dangling off the side of her until I saw she had no eyes in their sockets.

I'm going to have to agree with Jodou about the steamworks. While I like how Valve has handled the DRM for their games, this game doesn't need steamworks. It adds almost nothing beneficial to the game, it takes away the option to sell or give away the game as well as adding some other inconvenience to legit users, it's probably easy to crack and from the steam cloud glitch it sounds like the pirates got the better version of the game, which is not they way to discourage pirating.

Well, having played this more now, I can definitely see why it's not scoring as high as FO3 did. The complaints about being too much like its predecessor are legitimate because every texture, building layout, weapon, etc were copy/pasted into Vegas. They made absolutely no effort to update anything and aside from the new landmarks, you wouldn't know the difference.

I mean, it's still the same great game, but I'm already getting bored since I played the hell out of three. It just feels redundant because things are too familiar and so far there's absolutely nothing to hold my interest story-wise. I don't know, it seems like Obsidian didn't even try to make the game better because the same bugs and balance issues exist.

One thing is for sure: after two years, I'm not impressed.

[quote name='Jodou']Well, having played this more now, I can definitely see why it's not scoring as high as FO3 did. The complaints about being too much like its predecessor are legitimate because every texture, building layout, weapon, etc were copy/pasted into Vegas. They made absolutely no effort to update anything and aside from the new landmarks, you wouldn't know the difference.

I mean, it's still the same great game, but I'm already getting bored since I played the hell out of three. It just feels redundant because things are too familiar and so far there's absolutely nothing to hold my interest story-wise. I don't know, it seems like Obsidian didn't even try to make the game better because the same bugs and balance issues exist.

One thing is for sure: after two years, I'm not impressed.[/QUOTE]

That kind of sucks. I loved and played the hell out of Fallout3 and having more of it will be great and all, but I guess I expected a bit more since they publicly made it known that they had some original developers from Fallout 1&2 working on F:NV. And from what I'm hearing, it doesn't seem like they brought much to the table.

[quote name='Jodou']BTW, anyone run into a glitch where the Cheyenne's eyes become attached to the side of her head? LMAO, it took me a second to realize what was dangling off the side of her until I saw she had no eyes in their sockets.[/QUOTE]
I knew I couldn't be the only one lol (do they even test/care about this shit?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24grxb9RHg

[quote name='Jodou']I knew I couldn't be the only one lol (do they even test/care about this shit?)[/QUOTE]

Caring about their customers? Nah.

[quote name='Jodou']I knew I couldn't be the only one lol (do they even test/care about this shit?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24grxb9RHg[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Megazell']Caring about their customers? Nah.[/QUOTE]

I'm with Megazell on this one. With all of the rampant bs we've seen in the last few years, publishers just look at us as walking atm's and not as customers. :bomb:

WARNING: they still have not fixed the issue with steam cloud overwriting your saves. Both my quick and auto-save were overwritten last night, which would have cost me FOUR HOURS and five levels of work if I hadn't manually saved as well. I've also been backing up my saves locally just in case they become corrupted by Valve's shitty servers. This is shades of AVP when people would lose their entire save game because they became disconnected from Steam while still in-game, hence my distrust of any game I'm forced to use them for. Next game that uses Steamworks will not be purchased by me; they can fuck off.

Anyways, I'm roughly ten hours in, just doing side quests I find and checking out whatever I can find in the southern desert but it's just your typical filler missions to grind exp and small caves with crappy loot. I have a feeling the main attraction is the strip, but I don't believe you can even access it until late in the game.

BTW, I don't know where I'm supposed to get mods for my weapons at. They tell you early on that you can mod them with items and how, but that was ten hours ago and I haven't seen/found a single one. Am I supposed to craft them? Are they sold later in the game? Will I start looting them soon? Pretty stupid to explain about something you won't be doing until hours into the game. They don't really explain the crafting system well at all either. Would have been nice to be given some parts and physically shown how to make some bullets or something. They just throw some verbal diarrhea at you and send you on your way. Not good design at all.

Oh yeah, question for anyone further in the game than me: do they have another one of those retarded collectors for scrap metal, pre-war books, nuka-cola, etc? That REALLY pissed me off my first time with FO3 because the stuff weighs a ton, but it's definitely worth your while to collect for caps.

I thought the dog had some sort of dangling tribal earing on one side. I stared at her for awhile and just thought it was something her owner put on her to make her not look exactly like Dogmeat.

This guy did a great job putting his impressions into words:
I'm just going to come out and say it: playing New Vegas is a chore for me. Whether it's the massive amount of running around on the same roads from Fallout 3 or one of the fetch quests I've already done (right now I'm on a fetch quest within a fetch quest), it's just monotonous and repetitive. I'm just 6 or so hours in and I already want to quit playing. Maybe I have A.D.D., or maybe the game is just bad.

There are a ton of things that could qualify Fallout: New Vegas as a bad game. Let's start with the engine, which hasn’t even changed since they introduced it with Oblivion. It just wasn't good then, and it still isn’t good now. Gamebryo is a terrible engine to use for a game. I’m sorry, Bethesda, but you have goofed. It’s prone to glitching and just annoying in general. Sure, some things can be attributed to the game’s release, but you’d think someone would pick up on this stuff during playtesting.

If it’s not the engine, it’s the animations. Some things have improved, but mostly not. I’d like to commend an improvement: the jumping. When you jumped in Fallout 3, it looked awkward and ridiculous. When you jump in Fallout: New Vegas, it still looks strained, but you can see that they attempted to make it look somewhat natural with the character putting his or her leg out in a leaping fashion. Everything else about the animations looks odd. The walking animation is still a stuttering slow gait and the running animation isn’t too much better. It just looks odd to me, and I can’t get around why they don’t hire better animators.

Fallout 3’s gameplay has an encore again, for good or for ill. Personally, I found it bad. Even with the inclusion of iron sights, it seems they still want you to rely on V.A.T.S. which kills what I know they were going for, and that’s a first person shooter with RPG elements tacked on. It could really be just me, but every time I fire my weapon without iron sights (and I refuse to use V.A.T.S.) I seem to miss. This happens even when my enemy is literally feet away from me. I will fire, and I will miss. I have the skill for the weapon I’m using (small guns) at about halfway, but I still think this is ridiculous.

On a side-note, I’d like to mention that I have never been in favor of the idea of it taking three shots with a rifle to kill your enemy. I just never understood why. The ballistics are stupid. But that’s not just in Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

Factions are a different thing in this game. Whereas in Fallout 3, you had the good guys and the bad guys, it’s a little hazy in New Vegas. They all seem to be technically neutral, but out for their own means. Of course, the neutrality ends when two factions meet each other and the bullets start flying. It just seems that while not good or evil, the factions seem to be pushing ideology instead of stereotypical bad guy/good guy stuff. You’ll really have to put some thought into the faction you’re going to align with, pretty interesting in my opinion.

The few new things aside, Fallout: New Vegas feels like much of the same. Not always bad, but in this case I find it boring. S.P.E.C.I.A.L. makes a return, but instead of choosing your traits as an infant, you choose them when you regain consciousness in a doctor’s hub. The environment also returns. Having already explored the Capital Wasteland, I already feel like I know the Mojave Wasteland. It’s just dirt, sparse vegetation with boulders and rubble everywhere. Some locations are new, such as the Helios One Tower and the Hoover Dam, but I haven’t gotten to them yet. I’m looking forward to it though, as some have said that it makes the game worth it.

I will say though, if you want a slightly more immersive role playing experience, play it on the hardcore setting. It makes the game more realistic (although enemies seem to soak up damage like normal), where you actually have to eat, drink, sleep and attempt to survive. Hardcore mode is the role playing side of New Vegas, and if you wanted that instead of an action shooter, I’d recommend trying it out.

All and all, New Vegas seems like an expansion, really. It feels like less of a full game and something along the lines of the Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion. It’s the same thing, just with a new story (which isn’t too good to me so far). Games shouldn’t be discarded for their stories (or lack of them), though. Even with the gameplay and the way it handles, it’s not high up on the list of things I’d like to continuously play. Obsidian seems to have gone the way of Bethesda though, giving us a broken game and relying on the modding community to fix it or releasing patches.

Another side-note: I’d like to give props to whoever came up with Mr. New Vegas. He’s a suave guy, and I actually enjoy listening to him more than Three Dog, who actually made me want to keep playing Fallout 3 just so I could hear what he would say next.

With that, New Vegas is Fallout 3. Of course, some people want that. Me? I wanted a new experience, but I guess that’s just a wish until the mods start appearing. If my adventure somehow changes, I’ll be sure to update this. For now though, I’m bored of New Vegas and it feels a chore to continue playing having played Fallout 3 and its expansions. Let me finish this by saying if you liked Fallout 3 and wanted more, you’ll like New Vegas.

Maybe I'm a masochist at the moment, because I feel like I should torture myself with more New Vegas. Take what you will from this, but I just think Obsidian needs to stop making games. Black Isle used to be a very, very good developer. What happened? How much new blood did you take in? How did you go from making Fallout to making this? I don't understand...
I especially agree on the factions part, since I'm the merc type and just want to kill everyone. When you first meet the factions, they're all hostile to you really (in a what's in it for me kind of way) which is brilliant. Since they offer me nothing, making the decision to kill them all is an easy choice if you want to be constantly harassed. Likewise, you can do nothing and they will all stay neutral so long as you don't get in their way. What so many games get wrong is the fact that even though a faction is neutral, they still define their values as good vs evil. In FNV, they're definitely neutral until, like the reviewer says, they meet on the battlefield. Then it's a survival of the fittest world. You can even don a faction's gear to fool a passing patrol, which is a great RPG element.

They certainly get props in that department from me.

Hey everyone I see all the news that there are patches already coming out....but the problem is I havent seen any patches downloads yet. I checked my recent download on steam and nothing has shown up . Why hasnt Steam download the patches for me yet ?

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Hey everyone I see all the news that there are patches already coming out....but the problem is I havent seen any patches downloads yet. I checked my recent download on steam and nothing has shown up . Why hasnt Steam download the patches for me yet ?[/QUOTE]
I wish I had that problem. I tried opting out of updates, changed my settings to not keep it updated, and guess what it does every time I try to play the game or launch Steam? Updates the fucking game.

My guess is if you're able to play it, you're already updated. GL figuring out what the patch notes are though, because the update news is a worthless blog. In conclusion, I hate Steam.

I've only played for about an hour and haven't had any problems but it seems like most of the problems were a decent ways into the game, then again I think I have a better copy than G4WL and Steam.........I'm glad I didn't buy it for the 360.

The graphics are a big step up from what I'm used to on the 360 I'm kind of impressed.

[quote name='hustletron']The graphics are a big step up from what I'm used to on the 360 I'm kind of impressed.[/QUOTE]
Ouch, 360 games really have that bad of graphics?

[quote name='Jodou']Ouch, 360 games really have that bad of graphics?[/QUOTE]

It's consoles. Of course it does. :D

[quote name='Jodou']Ouch, 360 games really have that bad of graphics?[/QUOTE]

Not all of them, I just noticed a pretty big step up with the detail and smoothness of textures from 360 to PC.

Well I just beat the main quest line and it took me 12 hours. I expected around 20 but I did concentrate on beating it by only stopping to do three side quest lines and pretty much killing anyone and everyone as my way of advancing the plot.

It was odd to see quests show up as taken and then failed just by roaming around the various sites and slaughtering the masses.

All in all it was an interesting playthrough as I usually take my sneaky time and charm my way through making friends with everyone and end up spending ~100 hours doing so.

Stranger still is that my last save/autosave has me labeled as Wasteland Saviour while just a few saves before that I was labeled as Wasteland Destroyer. And I mean I killed people/things left and right just to watch them die. I was most certainly not a Saviour of anyone ever...weird.

[quote name='Megazell']It's consoles. Of course it does. :D[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but FNV doesn't look that great on PC lol. At least until someone does a texture pack like FO3 had. ;)

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, but FNV doesn't look that great on PC lol. At least until someone does a texture pack like FO3 had. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well what are you running it on? I'm running on Ultra High.

[quote name='hustletron']Well what are you running it on? I'm running on Ultra High.[/QUOTE]
Max settings. The textures just look awful, no matter what resolution.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, but FNV doesn't look that great on PC lol. At least until someone does a texture pack like FO3 had. ;)[/QUOTE]

A lot of people have tried to show me this game to try to convince me to look into it and buy it and every time they do they come across some bug or glitch...it's crazy. It does look good though so I have not seen anything about it graphic-wise that 'sucks.'

[quote name='Megazell']A lot of people have tried to show me this game to try to convince me to look into it and buy it and every time they do they come across some bug or glitch...it's crazy. It does look good though so I have not seen anything about it graphic-wise that 'sucks.'[/QUOTE]
Never said it sucks; it's just not on par with other graphically intense games. But I'm guessing that's by design to keep with the casual gaming curve.

[quote name='Jodou']Never said it sucks; it's just not on par with other graphically intense games. But I'm guessing that's by design to keep with the casual gaming curve.[/QUOTE]

Probably.

Hmm maybe I'm just jaded when it comes to graphics now, I play mostly 360 and between New Vegas on PC and MOH on PC they looked pretty similar both on max settings, MOH had nice up close textures and overall looked slightly better but from far away things looked similar.

Maybe because MOH was so mediocre. I dunno.

Ran into my first glitch too last night, guys were getting stuck on debris by the Mojave Express.

[quote name='hustletron']Hmm maybe I'm just jaded when it comes to graphics now, I play mostly 360 and between New Vegas on PC and MOH on PC they looked pretty similar both on max settings, MOH had nice up close textures and overall looked slightly better but from far away things looked similar.

Maybe because MOH was so mediocre. I dunno.

Ran into my first glitch too last night, guys were getting stuck on debris by the Mojave Express.[/QUOTE]

Gonna go out on a limb and say that MoH PC was a direct port of the console version, same textures and whatnot making resolution and anti aliasing the only benefits graphically.

With any Bethesda game though, I usually wait a few months on it or pick up the GotY and visually mod the crap out of it.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Gonna go out on a limb and say that MoH PC was a direct port of the console version, same textures and whatnot making resolution and anti aliasing the only benefits graphically.

With any Bethesda game though, I usually wait a few months on it or pick up the GotY and visually mod the crap out of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah pretty much, it was way more noticeable with explosions as stuff because they sucked balls. It was pitiful. Especially for a war game.

So should I pick this up now for $30 with my Kmart $20 off coupon, or wait for the Steam holiday sale? I'm leaning towards the holiday sale...

[quote name='dabamus']So should I pick this up now for $30 with my Kmart $20 off coupon, or wait for the Steam holiday sale? I'm leaning towards the holiday sale...[/QUOTE]
So close to the Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale, I'd wait. Maybe there will be a lucky glitch of Fallout New Vegas for around $18, like Fallout 3 GOTY was last year for 5 minutes or so. I've already budgeted close to $300 combined between Thanksgiving & Winter sales steam had last year, if they do them at the same time frame anyway.

bread's done
Back