Faluty Square button affecting your decisions?

gamemasterjd

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Ok, i dont know if anyone has posted this already, i know about the shooting disc crap but this just crosses the line and kills all hope of PsP suceeding in my view.
Gamers report PSP malfunction
Nearly 5,000 units are returned to Sony for buggy button; Kutaragi unapologetic about the handheld's design.
Full article : Education!

So yea, that is the quick and dirty of it. Sony is attempting to be god in a reigon of gaming where they do not control. Thats like charging into Iraq with water guns and saying this is our land and you have no say over- wait...

first of all, all I am paying for my system is a little over $11, so it really wont bother me at all. Second, if my PSP craps out on me, DS is always there for my love.

Old article. My PSP does have the faulty square button. Since I already own one, I can't really say if it affects my decision but I thought I just confirm the truth behind the report for your knowledge.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']first of all, all I am paying for my system is a little over $11, so it really wont bother me at all. Second, if my PSP craps out on me, DS is always there for my love.[/quote]

I'll ditto that - but with 'GBA' in place of 'DS', and '~$25 in place of $11.
:cool:

Similar to Rolento, it won't bother me too much since I'm only going to end up having to pay about $55 for my PSP from my trade-in credit. I'll probably get a warranty for it so if they do come up with a fix, I can swap it for a new model.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']Old, but still, you gotta wonder about that. That "F You!" attitude seems strange to me.[/quote]

Thats my problem on the situation. If Sony just wats to crew me ove without such word as sorry, then they can rot. Nintendo will rule what is left of sony's burning plasma corpse .

This cool strip is one artist's views on the situation

The thing that bothers me is that if I want it around release I have to buy their crappy "value" pack.

The case is supposed to suck. Supposedly there isn't even a way to close it, the memory stick is too small to do anything other then save games with, the headphones look like crap and my existing pair is probably better, also the remote is bare bones.

I imagine the dead pixel issue and square button issue can be solved by a decent extended warrenty that every store will try and sell you. Just keep swapping it until you get a good one.

[quote name='jimbodan']The thing that bothers me is that if I want it around release I have to buy their crappy "value" pack.

The case is supposed to suck. Supposedly there isn't even a way to close it, the memory stick is too small to do anything other then save games with, the headphones look like crap and my existing pair is probably better, also the remote is bare bones.

I imagine the dead pixel issue and square button issue can be solved by a decent extended warrenty that every store will try and sell you. Just keep swapping it until you get a good one.[/quote]

Just more evidence of Sony's fixation with milking their loyal customers of every dollar possible with each and every system they launch.

Wasn't the PS2 enough evidence of that??!!

Think about it: two plugins (vs. four on every other known system), same 'ole controllers (but you can't use the old ones), missing hard drive (but available later, at hefty price), same ole memory cards (but not backward compatible) and little real innovation (just sequel after sequel of their PS1 games) etc., etc.

The really sad thing is most of its customers don't even see this nickel-diming mastery and manipulation. ...

... as he now prepares for Sony fanboy onslaught ...:)

:twisted:

I don't know, something is telling me to wait and don't get the PSP at launch. I don't really have to be first in line for this.

I'm not so much bothered by the button problem as much as I'm bothered by the fact that apparently Sony could care less that something is wrong with their products.

I never buy systems at launch. I heard about the faulty button a while back. Maybe they'll fix it when enough people complain.

I'll wait until later. I got too many GBA games sealed that I could play anyway...

[quote name='bottlenut']two plugins (vs. four on every other known system)[/quote]
i agree they should have 4, but i bought a multitap (for around 7 or 8 bucks over 3 years ago) and i cant say that ive used it more than 10 times.

[quote name='bottlenut']same 'ole controllers (but you can't use the old ones)[/quote]the dual schok controllers are amazing, i use them on everything (pc, gc, ect...) and you can use ps1 controllers on 90% of ps2 games, so you really should have doe your homework.

[quote name='bottlenut']missing hard drive (but available later, at hefty price)[/quote]hard drives cost alot and dont do much. it does eliminate the need for memory cards, but it ups the cost of the system alot. the reason its in the xbox is because ms loses a ton on each system sold. american gamers had the option to get the hd at a realistic price, and it flopped.

[quote name='bottlenut']same ole memory cards (but not backward compatible) [/quote]this pissed me off alot, thats the memory cards were not backwards compatable. but i learned to deal with it, especially since ps1 data can be stored on a ps2 card (just like the hd system, which you were just bitching about...ironic..no?)

[quote name='bottlenut']little real innovation (just sequel after sequel of their PS1 games)[/quote]
yeah nintendo sure didnt bring any franchises from the 64 to the cube, and im SURE we'll never see a halo game on microsofts next system.

dont be such a hater, your logic is flawed in almost all of your points.

Stupid poll... If it does not work just return it...

2 types of people - those who are buying a PSP and those that want one but can not afford one (so the moan and complain instead of getting a job! : )

-----------------------------

[quote name='gamemasterjd']Ok, i dont know if anyone has posted this already, i know about the shooting disc crap but this just crosses the line and kills all hope of PsP suceeding in my view.
Gamers report PSP malfunction
Nearly 5,000 units are returned to Sony for buggy button; Kutaragi unapologetic about the handheld's design.
Full article : Education!

So yea, that is the quick and dirty of it. Sony is attempting to be god in a reigon of gaming where they do not control. Thats like charging into Iraq with water guns and saying this is our land and you have no say over- wait...[/quote] :x

[quote name='bottlenut']Just more evidence of Sony's fixation with milking their loyal customers of every dollar possible with each and every system they launch.

Wasn't the PS2 enough evidence of that??!!

Think about it: two plugins (vs. four on every other known system), same 'ole controllers (but you can't use the old ones), missing hard drive (but available later, at hefty price), same ole memory cards (but not backward compatible) and little real innovation (just sequel after sequel of their PS1 games) etc., etc.

The really sad thing is most of its customers don't even see this nickel-diming mastery and manipulation. ...

... as he now prepares for Sony fanboy onslaught ...:)

:twisted:[/quote]

Yeah, the PS2 was built to be a backwards compatible system. To make it easier to keep playing your PS1 games once you get one, they kept the controller, which works for both PS1 and PS2 games, though some games will require the PS2 controller. The memory cards are much larger to account for the save spaces that PS2 games would need. The HDD wasn't utilized by developers enough to really warrant being released until last spring, when FFXI came out.

As for sequel after sequel of their PS1 games, what the fuck are you talking about. GT, Ape Escape, and Hot Shots Golf are pretty much the only ones that fit that category, and for good reason. It's not a bad thing to continue your best franchises onto a new platform for gamers to enjoy. Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and Sly Cooper weren't continuations of their PS1 titles, but they are some of their best sellers on the PS2. There's not much to your argument against sony other than your being a fanboy yourself.

[quote name='bottlenut']Maybe Sony ought to rename the PSP the Lame Boy.

Sorry, couldn't resist.[/quote]

OH believe us, we know you can't resist. Any thread that mentions PSP even in the least, has a post from Bottlenut.

To past rants, punqsux, Redvs.Blue, CrashSpyro123:

say it again:

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bottlenut']two plugins (vs. four on every other known system)[/quote]
i agree they should have 4, but i bought a multitap (for around 7 or 8 bucks over 3 years ago) and i cant say that ive used it more than 10 times.[/quote]

Lots of good PS2 co-op/multiplayer games unfortunately only support two players, thus rendering the multitap pretty useless.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bottlenut']same 'ole controllers (but you can't use the old ones)[/quote]the dual schok controllers are amazing, i use them on everything (pc, gc, ect...) and you can use ps1 controllers on 90% of ps2 games, so you really should have doe your homework.[/quote]

I agree, no argument there...

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bottlenut']missing hard drive (but available later, at hefty price)[/quote]hard drives cost alot and dont do much. it does eliminate the need for memory cards, but it ups the cost of the system alot. the reason its in the xbox is because ms loses a ton on each system sold. american gamers had the option to get the hd at a realistic price, and it flopped.[/quote]

It failed because Sony failed to support it. They gave both consumers and developers no reason to use it. In short, it failed because Sony quit on it. Also for the specs that HDD carried at the it was released it really wasn't a realistic price for consumers either.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bottlenut']same ole memory cards (but not backward compatible) [/quote]this pissed me off alot, thats the memory cards were not backwards compatable. but i learned to deal with it, especially since ps1 data can be stored on a ps2 card (just like the hd system, which you were just bitching about...ironic..no?)[/quote]

I also basically agree here too, though not all PS1 can be stored on PS2 cards, I've encountered some that seem incompatible for some odd reason.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bottlenut']little real innovation (just sequel after sequel of their PS1 games)[/quote]
yeah nintendo sure didnt bring any franchises from the 64 to the cube, and im SURE we'll never see a halo game on microsofts next system.

dont be such a hater, your logic is flawed in almost all of your points.[/quote]

Yeah I agree those were pretty useless points, especially the final one, though there's some argument that Sony only produces average first party games (though a few are good, but still unoriginal) compared to Nintendo/Microsoft. Bottlenut certainly seems to fit the bill for an anti-Sony fanboy, which of course means he opinion is pretty much always flawed.

However, I do think Sony is patting itself on the back way too much for the creation/launch of the PSP. Tthere's little argument that Sony executives have made nothing but asinine comments about the flaws discovered in their new system.

[quote name='bottlenut']To past rants, punqsux, Redvs.Blue, CrashSpyro123:

say it again:

The really sad thing is most of its customers don't even see this nickel-diming mastery and manipulation. ...[/quote]

Yeah, your argument sucked at making any kind of point behind this statement besides showing how much of a fanboy you are. Please, elaborate on this statement for me, since I apparently have no idea how the controller, controller ports, memory card, HDD, and supposed countless sequels upon sequels of their PS1 games means they're scamming and manipulation people.

The dead pixels are more of a nuisance in my view than the square button (I have 3 dead pixels, though, for the moment, my square button seems to work).

Again, I took advantage of the TRU sale and am paying roughly $95 for my US PSP. Not a big investment for me, though I would be reluctant for pay $250 for one.

myke.

[quote name='soulwish2003']Stupid poll... If it does not work just return it...

2 types of people - those who are buying a PSP and those that want one but can not afford one (so the moan and complain instead of getting a job! : )
[/quote]

Nope, there are three types of people at least. I don't want it because I don't like playing handhelds. I want to play on a bigger screen and I only play games at home anyway. :p

If I was interested though, I would be hesitant to buy a PSP on release because of all the problems already being reported. It definitely sounds like it was designed poorly in some areas.

[quote name='bottlenut']To past rants, punqsux, Redvs.Blue, CrashSpyro123:

say it again:

The really sad thing is most of its customers don't even see this nickel-diming mastery and manipulation. ...[/quote]

Woohoo, grouped with punq and spyro!

[quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='bottlenut']To past rants, punqsux, Redvs.Blue, CrashSpyro123:

say it again:

Yeah, your argument sucked at making any kind of point behind this statement besides showing how much of a fanboy you are. Please, elaborate on this statement for me, since I apparently have no idea how the controller, controller ports, memory card, HDD, and supposed countless sequels upon sequels of their PS1 games means they're scamming and manipulation people.[/quote]

Can't see how a fanboy, as you dismiss me, could possibly add to your vast wealth of knowledge. Perhaps one of your pals can enlighten you. :twisted:

[quote name='bottlenut'][quote name='CrashSpyro123'][quote name='bottlenut']To past rants, punqsux, Redvs.Blue, CrashSpyro123:

say it again:

Yeah, your argument sucked at making any kind of point behind this statement besides showing how much of a fanboy you are. Please, elaborate on this statement for me, since I apparently have no idea how the controller, controller ports, memory card, HDD, and supposed countless sequels upon sequels of their PS1 games means they're scamming and manipulation people.[/quote]

Can't see how a fanboy, as you dismiss me, could possibly add to your vast wealth of knowledge. Perhaps one of your pals can enlighten you. :twisted:[/quote]

Fanboys don't have to be fanatically devoted in favor of a console, they can also be fanatically against a console, too. If you're the one grouping us on this issue, you should be able to go a little more into why you feel this way. They don't know why you've made these accusations on Sony, only you do.

bottlenut, if you want ill debate facts with you on the subject all week...but if you keep saying the same meaningless flames, please post somewhere else.

cag mod mode: seriously, if you keep trolling i will delete your posts. you can make arguments all you like, but "50ny 5uckzz!1" is not an argument. post with content, or dont post at all*

*does not apply to the ott ^^

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']However, I do think Sony is patting itself on the back way too much for the creation/launch of the PSP. Tthere's little argument that Sony executives have made nothing but asinine comments about the flaws discovered in their new system.[/quote]

i fully agree with you, the product flaws and high prices are definetly keeping me away from the psp at the moment.

[quote name='punqsux']bottlenut, if you want ill debate facts with you on the subject all week...but if you keep saying the same meaningless flames, please post somewhere else.[/quote]

Who appointed you god over this posting, anyway? :D

Quoting Popeye: I posts where I wants to posts. :twisted:

[quote name='bottlenut'][quote name='punqsux']bottlenut, if you want ill debate facts with you on the subject all week...but if you keep saying the same meaningless flames, please post somewhere else.[/quote]

Quoting Popeye: I posts where I wants to posts. :twisted:[/quote]

CheapyD appointed him moderator, which is as good as God, basically.

This should end...entertainingly.

[quote name='bottlenut'][quote name='punqsux']bottlenut, if you want ill debate facts with you on the subject all week...but if you keep saying the same meaningless flames, please post somewhere else.[/quote]

Quoting Popeye: I posts where I wants to posts. :twisted:[/quote]

im not sure if youve ever been on the internet before, but there are people on message boards chosen to keep control over the boards, they are not gods (those are the admins :wink:) but they are moderators.

now as i said, make on topic posts with content or beat it. youre more than welcome to come in here and debate probelms you have with sony, so long as they are backed by facts and civil, but youre just being a nuisance, so stop.

[quote name='bottlenut']Seriously?? Oops.

But it does smack of censorship. :?[/quote]

its not censorship, its not the message i care that you post but the means.

bashing sony on points that have no factual basis and then flaming others (myself included) is not good behavior.

people should NEVER get into arguments over something as trivial as an opinion on a video game. because first, opinions are always going to differ, and second...its a freakin video game! i dont care that you dont like sony, but basing it on untrue/contridicting logic is just dumb, and i felt the need to point out the flaws in your points.

just up the maturity level a little bit and you be fine ^^

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bottlenut']Seriously?? Oops.

bashing sony on points that have no factual basis and then flaming others (myself included) is not good behavior.

people should NEVER get into arguments over something as trivial as an opinion on a video game. because first, opinions are always going to differ, and second...its a freakin video game! i dont care that you dont like sony, but basing it on untrue/contridicting logic is just dumb, and i felt the need to point out the flaws in your points.

just up the maturity level a little bit and you be fine ^^[/quote]

Judging by the amount of interest my posting sparked, I'm betting more than a few readers here might think you owe me a debt of gratitude -- and an apology.

In reference to "bashing sony on points that have no factual basis and then flaming others" I pointed out a series of relevant facts (based on their past console), and if I'm not mistaken, I got hit with a barrage of written attacks in response to my posting ... no flaming there?

[quote name='bottlenut'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bottlenut']Seriously?? Oops.

just up the maturity level a little bit and you be fine ^^[/quote]

Judging by the amount of interest my posting sparked, I'm betting more than a few readers here might think you owe me a debt of gratitude -- and an apology.

In reference to "bashing sony on points that have no factual basis and then flaming others" I pointed out a series of relevant facts (based on their past console), and if I'm not mistaken, I got hit with a barrage of written attacks in response to my posting ... no flaming there?[/quote]

You did nothing to back up your "facts" when I confronted you on them. No one flamed you, they questioned your poor logic and you did nothing to prove them wrong. You don't really deserve much of anything for your posts other than what you've already gotten.

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']

You did nothing to back up your "facts" when I confronted you on them. No one flamed you, they questioned your poor logic and you did nothing to prove them wrong. You don't really deserve much of anything for your posts other than what you've already gotten.[/quote]

That the best you can do, Crash? You give your opinion (not facts), just as I. But your opinions (err, facts) are the right ones, heh?

Fortunately, a number of other posters are savvy enough to sort out the facts as well, and will think twice about feeding the Sony money machine blindly. (Maybe you'd do well to review those postings here to make sure I have my "facts" right)

For the record, I haven't just spent my time ranting on Sony's tactics and its new whiz-bang, whoopee PSP. I've posted a good share of money-saving gaming deals FOR ALL SYSTEMS at CAG, including the revered-here PS2.

Not that you would care, of course.

If that makes me a "nuisance" here, then I'm guilty as charged. :p

[quote name='bottlenut'][quote name='CrashSpyro123']

You did nothing to back up your "facts" when I confronted you on them. No one flamed you, they questioned your poor logic and you did nothing to prove them wrong. You don't really deserve much of anything for your posts other than what you've already gotten.[/quote]

That the best you can do, Crash? You give your opinion (not facts), just as I. But your opinions (err, facts) are the right ones, heh?

Fortunately, a number of other posters are savvy enough to sort out the facts as well, and will think twice about feeding the Sony money machine blindly. (Maybe you'd do well to review those postings here to make sure I have my "facts" right)

For the record, I haven't just spent my time ranting on Sony's tactics and its new whiz-bang, whoopee PSP. I've posted a good share of money-saving gaming deals FOR ALL SYSTEMS at CAG, including the revered-here PS2.

If that makes me a "nuisance" here, then I'm guilty as charged. :p[/quote]

I've never stated my opinions as facts like you have. Posting deals for PS2 games doesn't clear you from being an anti-sony fanboy, which all of your posts in PSP threads have pretty much proven that. You've even gone far enough to just copy and paste your opinions in more than one thread.

I've read pretty much every post, article, review on the PSP and have made my decision about my feelings towards it. Nobody's going to make me think twice about it with their opinions because only I can make myself buy one if I want one.

If you don't want people confonting you on your opinions, you better be able to back them up. You can't just come here and post and not expect to be called on it when someone disagrees with you.

[quote name='"CrashSpyro123"'][quote name='bottlenut']

If that makes me a "nuisance" here, then I'm guilty as charged. :p

-------------

CrashSpyro 123:

I've never stated my opinions as facts like you have. Posting deals for PS2 games doesn't clear you from being an anti-sony fanboy, which all of your posts in PSP threads have pretty much proven that. You've even gone far enough to just copy and paste your opinions in more than one thread.

I've read pretty much every post, article, review on the PSP and have made my decision about my feelings towards it. Nobody's going to make me think twice about it with their opinions because only I can make myself buy one if I want one.

If you don't want people confonting you on your opinions, you better be able to back them up. You can't just come here and post and not expect to be called on it when someone disagrees with you.[/quote]

With 7,300 posts here, I'm guessing you must work here or something, heh? At least have a sleeping bag beneath your computer desk? ... har ..Anyway, pardon me if I decide not to check the validity of your claims during this millennium across those 7,000-plus postings at, God knows, hundreds of threads. I'm sure you wouldn't fib, regardless.

Let's hope the batteries on your spiffy new, button-busting PSP last longer than the reports of 3 and 4 hours, or less! (FACTS cited at some Web sites, NOT my facts) and the lengthy, lengthy game loading times (again, not my facts, mind you).

Enjoy ... and happy gaming! :D

If it weren't for the opportunity to get a PSP and games for less than a $100 outlay, I wouldn't bother this year. The defect issues and the forced oxymoronic 'value pack' would have kept me away. But for cheap I'm willing to be an early adopter.

The PS2 HDD didn't faile for lack of developer support. Developers cannot support something that doesn't exist. Sony waited far too long in the PS2's lifecycle to introduce the drive and forced an overpriced game bundle on those who might have been interested.

There is no reason sony could not have shipped a 10 to 15 GB drive for $60 within a year of the PS2 US launch. At that price it would have been worthwhile just as a memory card alternative and developers would have been more than happy to at least support it in the game save capacity until projects that truly took advantage of it were ready. Holding out for years to have FF XI was a very bad decision. Add-on that aren't introduced early in a console's life have consistently failed. You have to get it out there early before the installed base grows so large that developers will never see more than a very small subset of the installed base with the add-on device connected.

[quote name='bottlenut']
Judging by the amount of interest my posting sparked, I'm betting more than a few readers here might think you owe me a debt of gratitude -- and an apology. [/quote]
wow...i must have really missed what youre talking about, what "sparked intrest" would i not only owe you a debt of grattitude for, but also an apology?

[quote name='bottlenut']In reference to "bashing sony on points that have no factual basis and then flaming others" I pointed out a series of relevant facts (based on their past console), and if I'm not mistaken, I got hit with a barrage of written attacks in response to my posting ... no flaming there?[/quote]
correct. no flaming. i took all your points and showed how they were flawed, and you then started flaming...still want that apology? :wink:

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bottlenut']
Judging by the amount of interest my posting sparked, I'm betting more than a few readers here might think you owe me a debt of gratitude -- and an apology. [/quote]
wow...i must have really missed what youre talking about, what "sparked intrest" would i not only owe you a debt of grattitude for, but also an apology?

[quote name='bottlenut']In reference to "bashing sony on points that have no factual basis and then flaming others" I pointed out a series of relevant facts (based on their past console), and if I'm not mistaken, I got hit with a barrage of written attacks in response to my posting ... no flaming there?[/quote]
correct. no flaming. i took all your points and showed how they were flawed, and you then started flaming...still want that apology? :wink:[/quote]

I suppose you did (missed the fact it sparked interest). What was languishing as a thread with a feeble half-dozen or so contributions ballooned exponentially. ... Or perhaps you were too busy butting into the threads yourself (rather than acting as a moderator) to notice??!

Ref the apology, yep. I'm still waiting. You views or only that. As a moderator, you should be there not to interfere and insult others (by name-calling), but to referee. That's where you erred, and you're totally oblvious to it, as you replies reveal.

Those putdowns as a moderator only serve to stifle others feeling welcome to jump into the discussion.

Happy gaming :p

[quote name='bottlenut'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bottlenut']

correct. no flaming. i took all your points and showed how they were flawed, and you then started flaming...still want that apology? :wink:[/quote]

I suppose you did (missed the fact it sparked interest). What was languishing as a thread with a feeble half-dozen or so contributions ballooned exponentially. ... Or perhaps you were too busy butting into the threads yourself (rather than acting as a moderator) to notice??!

Ref the apology, yep. I'm still waiting. You views or only that. As a moderator, you should be there not to interfere and insult others (by name-calling), but to referee. That's where you erred, and you're totally oblvious to it, as you replies reveal.

Those putdowns as a moderator only serve to stifle others feeling welcome to jump into the discussion.

Happy gaming :p[/quote]

T-minus 15 posts 'til perma-ban! :lol:

[quote name='bottlenut'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='bottlenut']

Happy gaming :p[/quote]

Yet no one else on the message board seems to have a problem with moderators getting involved in discussions. Get a life and give up.

bread's done
Back